Login

russian armor

Why is the Maxim so bad?

PAGES (8)down
28 May 2022, 17:03 PM

If a unit goes from brain dead pick to not being used at all it is an overnerf. Its not that the maxim fell out off favour a few days or weeks it was a long time.

It was nerfed so hard it needed some fixes to have it be even usefull or cost effective. The small fire sector increase and band aid deathloop fix didnt cut it. It needed a vet/muni ability to be of meaninfull impact. It did get the usf treatment of feeding it muni to be most impactfull

So it was overnerfed but the small buffs changed that to nerfed hard. Now if wiped axis players recrew it pretty often so its mostly in a good spot imo.

A large number of top players (as you can witness in GCS3) and most good players still use Maxims. Tbh it's Kinda cos they don't have any other choice if they don't go a DSHKA doc, but still, it's insanely inaccurate to claim that it's "not being used at all".
28 May 2022, 17:51 PM

A large number of top players (as you can witness in GCS3) and most good players still use Maxims. Tbh it's Kinda cos they don't have any other choice if they don't go a DSHKA doc, but still, it's insanely inaccurate to claim that it's "not being used at all".

I should have written it more clearly i see. When it got gutted from its op golden days it fell of the radar almost completly for a while way back. After several small buffs its in a decent spot. Yet imo still a but to expensive for its impact.

I hope this clears it up now.
28 May 2022, 18:01 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 May 2022, 16:44 PMVipper

Maxim spam was op, now maxim is in good spot. Call it what you like because i am not really interested in semantics.

You are the one that has a problem with calling a very hard nerf an overnerf not me.
But i am glad we agree it was op and now is mostly good.
28 May 2022, 23:12 PM

You are the one that has a problem with calling a very hard nerf an overnerf not me.

I have no problem.

But i am glad we agree it was op and now is mostly good.

Since you do not actually disagree with the point I made and you do not think that is "nerfed to the ground" I suggest you stop arguing semantics.
29 May 2022, 03:41 AM

I should have written it more clearly i see. When it got gutted from its op golden days it fell of the radar almost completly for a while way back. After several small buffs its in a decent spot. Yet imo still a but to expensive for its impact.

I hope this clears it up now.

Ahhh yeah that happens a lot with most games to be fair. From uncounterable trash to unplayable trash, then half a dozen iterations before it's finally in an acceptable spot. It's the circle of life.

Man I still remember a-move maxims. Best mainline in the game.
29 May 2022, 06:19 AM

Ahhh yeah that happens a lot with most games to be fair. From uncounterable trash to unplayable trash, then half a dozen iterations before it's finally in an acceptable spot. It's the circle of life.

Man I still remember a-move maxims. Best mainline in the game.

To me it felt dirty using the a move op maxim. It was so good it felt like cheating. So i used the spam only a handfull off times.
What did suprise me whas when it got over nerfed how quickly it turned out that how op the then new stg volks where without a maxim keeping them in check.
Su players players not using cons or penals at that time already indicated that imo lol. Good times lol.
3 Jun 2022, 22:15 PM
Donator 11

4 men grenadiers don't die as fast as the maxim crew if its being flanked.
Also it has its onw hardcoded inputlag if you start to attack something and then shift commands.

<444>3 the most bugged default tool in the game
21 Jun 2022, 07:31 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jun 2022, 02:43 AMCODGUY
Anybody who plays OST doesn't have a right to say the Maxim or any other MG should get any nerfs.

The MG42 is so laughably overpowered and nobody really cares.

Would have to agree with this, especially with the Vet 1 ability. The MG-42 should not have the best everything especially AT performance. It can kill vehicles faster than the USF .50 cal which makes no sense.

The Vet 1 should have its AT performance removed as it shouldn't be deleting early vehicles faster than the Pak can.
21 Jun 2022, 08:42 AM

Would have to agree with this, especially with the Vet 1 ability. The MG-42 should not have the best everything especially AT performance. It can kill vehicles faster than the USF .50 cal which makes no sense.

The Vet 1 should have its AT performance removed as it shouldn't be deleting early vehicles faster than the Pak can.

absolute nonsense, its the best mg in the game but its not the best at everything, it has slower pickup and setup times and slower transverse speed. It does need its AT ammo to help against early light vehicles. you people won't be satisficed until everything OST has is nerfed to the ground, you want to nerf the mg42's, grens and even the damn pioneers ppl want nerfed lol
21 Jun 2022, 10:36 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jun 2022, 08:42 AMAlphrum

absolute nonsense, its the best mg in the game but its not the best at everything, it has slower pickup and setup times and slower transverse speed. It does need its AT ammo to help against early light vehicles. you people won't be satisficed until everything OST has is nerfed to the ground, you want to nerf the mg42's, grens and even the damn pioneers ppl want nerfed lol

Tbh its packup time is only a tiny bit slower. Its traverse being slower idk by how much but pios sight helps offset both.
Its supression is the best out of the mg's no contest.
Ots has the fastest acces to fausts and its cooldown is about half of the at nade of cons.

Putting pio sight behind behind vet or tech isent game breaking. Grens vet 3 expl resistance (wich was to good for allied elite inf) wasent nessecary imo vsl should have covered that weakness imo. Grens werent being one shotted all the time.
Mg42 is fine imo. Its just strange its so cheap when comparing it the other mg's effectiveness.
21 Jun 2022, 13:46 PM

Tbh its packup time is only a tiny bit slower. Its traverse being slower idk by how much but pios sight helps offset both.
Its supression is the best out of the mg's no contest.
Ots has the fastest acces to fausts and its cooldown is about half of the at nade of cons.

Putting pio sight behind behind vet or tech isent game breaking. Grens vet 3 expl resistance (wich was to good for allied elite inf) wasent nessecary imo vsl should have covered that weakness imo. Grens werent being one shotted all the time.
Mg42 is fine imo. Its just strange its so cheap when comparing it the other mg's effectiveness.

Yes ost NEEDS fast access to Faust or clown car will destroy ost early game. Pio got given sight to spot for mg42s and they work well together and encourages combined arms but i dont find that game breaking at all and wouldn't mind even if it was put behind vet.

Grens vet 3 damage reduction REPLACED the RA they get at vet 3 (-23% Received Accuracy replaced by -20% damage reduction) it essentially makes no difference to grens performance vs small arms fire, it ONLY made them more resistant to explosive damage. ANd it was a necessary change to make them more survivable vs tanks and arty because they are only 4 man and get wiped easily, other solution would have been to make them 5man which would have been way worse.

Allied inf had damage reduction (rangers was it?) + RA protection and with 5 man. to put it simply, you have grens + damage reduction vs rangers + damage reduction + RA protection + 5 man, you srsly want to compare the 2?

Mg42 does seem cheap when you look at other MGS's but these prices shouldn't be compared directly as they come in different factions and have different reasons for ther pricing. in the case of maxim, it costing more has nothing to do with its performance but more to do to deter people from spamming it
21 Jun 2022, 14:06 PM

Speaking of VSL, it'd be nice to see German Infantry Doctrine get a slight buff. I feel like VSL is a poor choice compared to either the LMG42 or the G43 upgrade. That, and or something else in the doctrine should be adjusted
____
No real opinions on Maxim. I mean I guess I do, but not really. Maxim has bad suppression, slow deploy time, but can pack back up quickly and is decent at killing infantry in its arc just because its suppression isn't very good
21 Jun 2022, 14:36 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jun 2022, 13:46 PMAlphrum

Yes ost NEEDS fast access to Faust or clown car will destroy ost early game. Pio got given sight to spot for mg42s and they work well together and encourages combined arms but i dont find that game breaking at all and wouldn't mind even if it was put behind vet.

Grens vet 3 damage reduction REPLACED the RA they get at vet 3 (-23% Received Accuracy replaced by -20% damage reduction) it essentially makes no difference to grens performance vs small arms fire, it ONLY made them more resistant to explosive damage. ANd it was a necessary change to make them more survivable vs tanks and arty because they are only 4 man and get wiped easily, other solution would have been to make them 5man which would have been way worse.

Allied inf had damage reduction (rangers was it?) + RA protection and with 5 man. to put it simply, you have grens + damage reduction vs rangers + damage reduction + RA protection + 5 man, you srsly want to compare the 2?

Mg42 does seem cheap when you look at other MGS's but these prices shouldn't be compared directly as they come in different factions and have different reasons for ther pricing. in the case of maxim, it costing more has nothing to do with its performance but more to do to deter people from spamming it

Needs is a little strong when OKW can compete without it. It just requires a change in early play style. Before when it had higher armor and lower health it made sense. Now you can easily chase it off with focused fire especially with a decent positioned MG.

I agree about the RA as it was really frustrating to lose vetted squads to RNG. My issues is that the buff came around the same time as Pak Howi AOE nerf, rocket artillery nerf and other indirect fire nerfs. This made them a bit more survivable then they should be for what should be the most fragile mainline in the game.
21 Jun 2022, 14:57 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jun 2022, 13:46 PMAlphrum
Pio got given sight to spot for mg42s and they work well together and encourages combined arms

Every time I hear this platitude I just wonder wtf exactly these people are talking about. Combined arms?? Bro, two infantry units is not "combined arms". How exactly is "combined arms" play being encouraged when you literally start with the only unit you need to play most effectively with your T0 machine gun?

Combined arms. Lmfao. Yeah you're combining arms alright; MG42s and MP40s.

Apparently it's enough to encourage "combined arms" for Soviets by making their MG barely effective unless they actually have infantry being supported by it. But OST not only gets to have an MG that can change its own diaper, but T0 tech unit that can spot for it too.
21 Jun 2022, 14:59 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jun 2022, 08:42 AMAlphrum

-you dont need faster setup/pickup, thats the whole point of the mg-42
- "transverse speed" ??? you mean the speed at which it targets units? indistinguishable from any other MG.
-bullshit it damages minute 0 LVs just fine, with the ability it probably kills every LV short of a T-70 or stuart really quick

its the best MG in the game and the only actual weakness is the low squad count, inherent to the faction itself.
21 Jun 2022, 15:06 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jun 2022, 14:59 PMKatukov

- "transverse speed" ??? you mean the speed at which it targets units? indistinguishable from any other MG.

(Turret) Traverse speed . And yes it's slower than SOME other MGs (Just Maxim and DsHK). It's the speed that the MG rotates to be able to fire on a unit in its cone of fire.

It's called horizontal speed in serelia (below Tracking), I'm pretty sure.

DsHK: 38
Maxim: 28
MG34, MG42, Vickers: 25
50 Cal: 24
21 Jun 2022, 15:22 PM

Needs is a little strong when OKW can compete without it. It just requires a change in early play style. Before when it had higher armor and lower health it made sense. Now you can easily chase it off with focused fire especially with a decent positioned MG.

I agree about the RA as it was really frustrating to lose vetted squads to RNG. My issues is that the buff came around the same time as Pak Howi AOE nerf, rocket artillery nerf and other indirect fire nerfs. This made them a bit more survivable then they should be for what should be the most fragile mainline in the game.

OKW do struggle vs early clown car though, biggest diff is that OKW has t0 reketten and ost have no AT, so yes it NEEDS it.

Every time I hear this platitude I just wonder wtf exactly these people are talking about. Combined arms?? Bro, two infantry units is not "combined arms". How exactly is "combined arms" play being encouraged when you literally start with the only unit you need to play most effectively with your T0 machine gun?

Combined arms. Lmfao. Yeah you're combining arms alright; MG42s and MP40s.

Apparently it's enough to encourage "combined arms" for Soviets by making their MG barely effective unless they actually have infantry being supported by it. But OST not only gets to have an MG that can change its own diaper, but T0 tech unit that can spot for it too.

my bad not combined arms, i meant more in the terms of synchronizing together (historically pioneers wher also used for scouting). but i dont get what the big problem is, its far better then people just blobbing a-moving 5 squads. Ofc you would need to support your maxim, go play ost and build only mg42s and tell me how it goes, every mg is going to need some kind of support. Im not denying that mg42 is the best mg in the game because it is, its superior to maxim. But in the past we had maxim spam which was blatantly OP and frustrating to play against, but people like you, instead of providing solutions to the maxim, your just bashing ost and pioneers sight.

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jun 2022, 14:59 PMKatukov

-you dont need faster setup/pickup, thats the whole point of the mg-42
-bullshit it damages minute 0 LVs just fine, with the ability it probably kills every LV short of a T-70 or stuart really quick

its the best MG in the game and the only actual weakness is the low squad count, inherent to the faction itself.

-you would need faster setup times if you like to reposition ur mg or move when getting flanked. your making it sound like mg42 has 360 view and can see through smoke. Regarding the mg42, i was responding to Kurobane about "mg42 having the best of everything" the Mg can have which is not true. But the mg42 does have the best of many things a MG can have, but not everything (like setup/repack time).

-never said it cant damage early light vehicles, it just doesn't counter those LV;s like clown car and UC effectively, unless it has AP, read my comment properly next time.

-never denied its not the best mg in the game. in fact ive said many times it is the best mg in the game
21 Jun 2022, 15:37 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jun 2022, 15:22 PMAlphrum
my bad not combined arms, i meant more in the terms of synchronizing together (historically pioneers wher also used for scouting). but i dont get what the big problem is, its far better then people just blobbing a-moving 5 squads.

Yeah, but you already mentioned the devs giving pios the extended sight to "encourage combined arms". Which is what *I* was talking about.

...Ofc you would need to support your maxim, go play ost and build only mg42s and tell me how it goes, every mg is going to need some kind of support

Sure, but it will be a cold day in hell when you can use a maxim to lock down a sector with nothing other than a CE standing next to it with its thumb up its ass, a la MG42.

but people like you, instead of providing solutions to the maxim, your just bashing ost and pioneers sight.

People like me? Tf is that supposed to mean? I'm like the banks, guy. I play both sides. The fact of the matter is that I come onto this forum to point out bullshit and speak my mind. I don't just "bash" OST. I "bash" every faction, so long as there's some BS.

EDIT: You want my honest opinion on the maxim? Well it doesn't really matter to most people because I play 4v4 at like the middle 2000 ranks. But I think it's worthwhile against medium sized blobs, then falls off against bigger or LMG blobs. Only useful when you've got prior warning of the blob so you can pop Suppressive Fire. And against opponents in 1v1, it's lackluster as hell compared to what the MG42 can do unsupported. So, make it cheaper. It's worth less than the MG42.
21 Jun 2022, 15:56 PM

Yeah, but you already mentioned the devs giving pios the extended sight to "encourage combined arms". Which is what *I* was talking about.

Sure, but it will be a cold day in hell when you can use a maxim to lock down a sector with nothing other than a CE standing next to it with its thumb up its ass, a la MG42.

People like me? Tf is that supposed to mean? I'm like the banks, guy. I play both sides. The fact of the matter is that I come onto this forum to point out bullshit and speak my mind. I don't just "bash" OST. I "bash" every faction, so long as there's some BS.

EDIT: You want my honest opinion on the maxim? Well it doesn't really matter to most people because I play 4v4 at like the middle 2000 ranks. But I think it's worthwhile against medium sized blobs, then falls off against bigger or LMG blobs. Only useful when you've got prior warning of the blob so you can pop Suppressive Fire. And against opponents in 1v1, it's lackluster as hell compared to what the MG42 can do unsupported. So, make it cheaper. It's worth less than the MG42.

All mgs struggle vs big blobs especially LMG blobs, this includes the mg42. Its may seem more apparent with maxim because you will always encounter lmg grens and possibly LMG obers vs OKW. where as with mg42 the only real blob threat is IS with brens and maybe riflemen LMG through doc but not as common.

Ive never had problem with the maxim being able to supress, the only time i find the maxim to be trash is in the late game when there is yellow cover everywhere and squads can literally walk up to you without getting supressed.
PAGES (8)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment