Login

russian armor

Mod support

14 Jul 2021, 20:09 PM

Has the subject been mentioned?
15 Jul 2021, 02:08 AM

I've heard from a friend that it won't have any more mod support than CoH2 did. Whether that means pre-workshop or post-workshop I don't know. It'd be nice for them to unlock modding on CoH2 again at least.
15 Jul 2021, 17:11 PM

There's mention of a toolsdata.sga in the files which might hint at possible modding tools either at launch or later like with CoH2.

But yeah definitely CoH needs an upgrade to 64 bit as well along with mod workshop support instead of it just being with maps.

Some fixes and balance issues being addressed would also be nice along with some new graphics but that's in the sphere of a remaster.

CoH2 I only really wish for more expanded mod support since people will most likely be migrating over to CoH3 and the modding community is what has kept the original game and I would argue the series in general afloat all these years.
15 Jul 2021, 17:27 PM

yeah i hope someone in the inner circle of the tester are fighting for expanded mod tools. Just look what people have made for vcoh, ww1, modern war, eastern front and on. Would expand the game a lot more than just tuning and map making.
15 Jul 2021, 17:43 PM

snip

the modding community is what has kept the original game and I would argue the series in general afloat all these years.

I disagree on this one regarding coh2. Most people played normal mp.

For coh1 it kept some hardcore fans alive
15 Jul 2021, 21:24 PM

I disagree on this one regarding coh2. Most people played normal mp.

For coh1 it kept some hardcore fans alive

You might wanna check the server browser then, most lobbies from what I've noticed while playing were using mods.
16 Jul 2021, 13:00 PM

You might wanna check the server browser then, most lobbies from what I've noticed while playing were using mods.

I mean automatch. Sorry.
1 Aug 2021, 23:27 PM

I think that they really should open up the game for modders. They gain everything and lose nothing from it. Sure, there's the possibility of modders being able to find out that maybe the devs took a shortcut in creating a unit by copy pasting it, but really who cares? Locking down the modding scene is basically locking yourself out of having your *own playerbase* increase the amount of players playing your game *for free*.

For example, my introduction to the Total War series was through Total War: Medieval 2. Why is that? Because I was a fan of Lord of the Rings, and someone had made a total conversion mod for that game that turned it into a lord of the rings rts. And do you know what happened? I found out I liked the series, and I bought multiple other titles in it.

I really hope relic keeps this perspective in mind.
2 Aug 2021, 18:17 PM

I think that they really should open up the game for modders. They gain everything and lose nothing from it. Sure, there's the possibility of modders being able to find out that maybe the devs took a shortcut in creating a unit by copy pasting it, but really who cares? Locking down the modding scene is basically locking yourself out of having your *own playerbase* increase the amount of players playing your game *for free*.

For example, my introduction to the Total War series was through Total War: Medieval 2. Why is that? Because I was a fan of Lord of the Rings, and someone had made a total conversion mod for that game that turned it into a lord of the rings rts. And do you know what happened? I found out I liked the series, and I bought multiple other titles in it.

I really hope relic keeps this perspective in mind.

I don't understand your argument about the shortcut of creating a unit, if it's done properly and it works, doesn't bug out and so forth like the Sturmtiger, ZiS 3 Field Gun, IR HT and so forth then what's the problem exactly?

Those units were just lazily made in my opinion and that's why there's problems with them, not that they took shortcuts.

But in reality as it's evident with Games Workshop's zero tolerance policy on fan content made about 40k companies want to milk every possible source for money and don't really care that the fans are basically doing free advertisement for them.

If that wasn't the case then CoH2 would have been fully moddable like CoH is by now but instead they decided to cut model editing and importing back in 2013 when somebody ported over some CoH models to the game and sell 5 dollar premium commanders which they nerfed after a month to sell the next batch of OP shit.
2 Aug 2021, 20:12 PM

I don't understand your argument about the shortcut of creating a unit, if it's done properly and it works, doesn't bug out and so forth like the Sturmtiger, ZiS 3 Field Gun, IR HT and so forth then what's the problem exactly?

Those units were just lazily made in my opinion and that's why there's problems with them, not that they took shortcuts.

But in reality as it's evident with Games Workshop's zero tolerance policy on fan content made about 40k companies want to milk every possible source for money and don't really care that the fans are basically doing free advertisement for them.

If that wasn't the case then CoH2 would have been fully moddable like CoH is by now but instead they decided to cut model editing and importing back in 2013 when somebody ported over some CoH models to the game and sell 5 dollar premium commanders which they nerfed after a month to sell the next batch of OP shit.

You misunderstand me. I had heard that CoH2 had mod support like CoH1 until modders found that Guards troops were copy pasted from CoH 1 rangers, voicelines and all, and because they were embarrassed of that they clamped down on modding to only be able to use the mod tools.

That's why I was saying "who gives a f*ck about that just let people mod freely".
3 Aug 2021, 08:57 AM

You misunderstand me. I had heard that CoH2 had mod support like CoH1 until modders found that Guards troops were copy pasted from CoH 1 rangers, voicelines and all, and because they were embarrassed of that they clamped down on modding to only be able to use the mod tools.

That's why I was saying "who gives a f*ck about that just let people mod freely".

I have never even heard of such a thing before, do you have a link or something to the person saying that?

Because if not I'd call it false information and just feeding a myth.
3 Aug 2021, 16:48 PM

I have never even heard of such a thing before, do you have a link or something to the person saying that?

Because if not I'd call it false information and just feeding a myth.

Not at the moment, but considering that we're both referencing modding and CoH1 rangers, it sounds like we've both got the same event in mind. Now either I've got something wrong or you do. Do you have a comment to link on your version of why the mod tools got locked down, lest you spread myths yourself?
3 Aug 2021, 17:14 PM

It's more to do with segas policy iirc, they did the same thing with total war warhammer.
3 Aug 2021, 18:52 PM

Not at the moment, but considering that we're both referencing modding and CoH1 rangers, it sounds like we've both got the same event in mind. Now either I've got something wrong or you do. Do you have a comment to link on your version of why the mod tools got locked down, lest you spread myths yourself?

I don't remember mentioning anything about CoH1 modding and rangers but okay?

I mean you're being oddly defensive here since you can't back up your claims but as far as what I'm talking about here:

You can check the date on the video that it's 2013 and maybe if you go back in the patch notes of the game to the very beginning you might find some mention of model editing and importing being removed but I doubt it.

It's more to do with segas policy iirc, they did the same thing with total war warhammer.

Nah, with CoH3 on the horizon and a community team being left to "develop" CoH2 after 8 years what's the point of limiting modding?

They did it back in the day to sell their 5 dollar premium commanders, but since that's not the case anymore there is absolutely no reason for it.

Modding communities are literally what keep older games going lol.
3 Aug 2021, 20:01 PM

I don't really think so. The last time I checked, there were quite a few mods includes complete customs-made models. Actually, here is a link to one of the mods.https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2376283097 It was one of the reasons I am not quite interested in the latest Warhammer 2 DLC, as almost all of its new Lizardman units already got somewhat features in some mods. According to a post on Reddit, importing custom-made models is hard but for sure not impossible as what we have in COH2. IMO, total war definitely got way more modding supports than us. But I personally do appreciate the official CoH modeling tool way better as it is more noob-friendly.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★