Login

russian armor

Relic Announcement in 24 hours! GTF IN HERE!

PAGES (8)down
13 Jul 2021, 22:07 PM

Would expecting similar features that other titles (even if it's in a tangential genre like MOBAs) have already done be too much?

I know it's pre alpha but i'm just slightly worried how much emphasis they put on the single player campaign instead of saying PvE coop.

I think they mentioned briefly that they're gonna talk about stuff like PvE coop, new gamemodes & of course multiplayer at a later date. New game modes for example are very likely. So idk if coop & multiplayer fans (like me) should get caught up too much on this small singleplayer slice
13 Jul 2021, 22:07 PM

and you are beyond naive if you expected crazy new experiments, after what happened with the experiments in DoW3 :)

Good luck buying an Italian dls for the second part.
I think that sponsoring such a development of the series is not worth it, although if the new part will cost like a dls and not a full-fledged game, then it may be fair.
13 Jul 2021, 22:21 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I think they mentioned briefly that they're gonna talk about stuff like PvE coop, new gamemodes & of course multiplayer at a later date. New game modes for example are very likely. So idk if coop & multiplayer fans (like me) should get caught up too much on this small singleplayer slice

Indeed. But been that it's gonna be close to 10 years since the last CoH, i don't feel that big of a jump compared to CoH1 vs CoH2 atm.

Obviously they don't need to re-invent the wheel, at least in terms of the base gameplay but this recent demonstration didn't hype me that much.
14 Jul 2021, 01:14 AM

think we are off to good start, coh1 based pace, side armor! better graphics and destruction.

im not sure about launching with more playable armies or the greatest amount of maps, unless relic has increased their head count greatly
14 Jul 2021, 02:39 AM

Obviously they don't need to re-invent the wheel, at least in terms of the base gameplay but this recent demonstration didn't hype me that much.

Yeah I am quite disappointed with COH 3. To be honest it looks like its going to be Dawn of War 3 all over again.
14 Jul 2021, 02:58 AM

Yeah I am quite disappointed with COH 3. To be honest it looks like its going to be Dawn of War 3 all over again.

i have not tried coh3 yet but how does early preview made it sound like dow3?

relic said they are following the coh formula while dow3 made too much changes to capture the moba craze.

if anything, coh3 don't need to reinvent the wheel, there's not much room unless they want to drop coh formula. just improve on the coh ness but adding more stats variables with faster cpu now, and we are good.

another thing relic should be wary is to based too much on fans input, they need to have their own vision first and most
14 Jul 2021, 03:12 AM

Why is th panning so awful? Like it has inertia on it, turned up to max and still way too slow
14 Jul 2021, 06:14 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jul 2021, 02:58 AMmrgame2

i have not tried coh3 yet but how does early preview made it sound like dow3?

relic said they are following the coh formula while dow3 made too much changes to capture the moba craze.

if anything, coh3 don't need to reinvent the wheel, there's not much room unless they want to drop coh formula. just improve on the coh ness but adding more stats variables with faster cpu now, and we are good.

another thing relic should be wary is to based too much on fans input, they need to have their own vision first and most

Well first let me just state that I understand it is Alpha and pre-release. With that said I also played the COH 2 Alpha and Beta before COH 2 launched and while COH 2 had alot of technical problems the gameplay was fun, faster paced and offered many Quality of Life fixes over the original.

So I am comparing COH 2 Alpha with COH 3 Alpha.

COH 3 Issues

-UI
The UI is mobile friendly/inspired which clearly shows with how bad the UI is. Everything about it is a downgrade over any previous Relic game. Even Dawn of War 3 had a great UI. Normally I am not one to complain about such a thing but it is really that bad. It provides NO Information at all and provides even less information than before.

COH 2 UI - Simple, Effective, Easy to see and Access

COH 3 UI - Literally shows me nothing of value though graphics are nice

Why is the Mini Map Crooked and not flush in the corner? Also they removed the Tactical Map, a Sequel should add/improve upon current features not remove them. Also you cannot Shift Que to capture territory via the mini map like you can in COH 2. One of the best COH 2 quality of life features over COH 1 is gone.

-Camera
The Camera is super zoomed in and off angle. It is Company of Heroes not X-COM 2, I dont need to be be that close in.

COH 3 = 1 Step Forward 2 Steps Backward

14 Jul 2021, 06:43 AM

to be fair, it took awhile to get used to coh2 ui from coh1. and coh2 ui has that oversized middle panel that comes useless unit description.

im fine with how coh3 ui has that modern look, but the arrangement of the panels can be refined
14 Jul 2021, 06:45 AM

Where is retreat point? Comon this should be stock for every faction at this stage.
14 Jul 2021, 06:49 AM

Well first let me just state that I understand it is Alpha and pre-release. With that said I also played the COH 2 Alpha and Beta before COH 2 launched and while COH 2 had alot of technical problems the gameplay was fun, faster paced and offered many Quality of Life fixes over the original.

COH 3 Issues

-UI
The UI is mobile friendly/inspired which clearly shows with how bad the UI is. Everything about it is a downgrade over any previous Relic game. Even Dawn of War 3 had a great UI. Normally I am not one to complain about such a thing but it is really that bad. It provides NO Information at all and provides even less information than before.

Why is the Mini Map Crooked and not flush in the corner? Also they removed the Tactical Map, a Sequel should add/improve upon current features not remove them. Also you cannot Shift Que to capture territory via the mini map like you can in COH 2. One of the best COH 2 quality of life features over COH 1 is gone.

-Camera
The Camera is super zoomed in and off angle. It is Company of Heroes not X-COM 2, I dont need to be be that close in.

Watch AE s youtube vid. he s talking about the UI and it's good. he explains why
14 Jul 2021, 06:58 AM

if anything i will move the command points selection to top of the resources panel, and move the units selection back to the right side.

this way we have a clear open middle section
14 Jul 2021, 10:46 AM

All Im gonna say here is

- they already said on Discord that the Tac Map just hasnt been implemented yet and will come. It didnt get removed

https://discord.gg/aKCpdsxk

- you can change UI a bit to CoH2 style in the menu with unit icons on the top right

- 95% of people hated the new CoH2 UI in the alpha and said its trash
14 Jul 2021, 12:11 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

snip

Couldn't play the pre-alpha yet, but judging by the UI of your screenshot I find this atmospherically bad too.

The UI looks like modern computer productivity programs: clean, sleek, orderly - and sterile.
Yes, I can see most of the information I want, but not in a pleasant way. Just look at the CoH2 UI: Gritty metal plates that have been nailed together. The top right menu are buttons that I can press to request units and abilities. So are the commander abilities. VP bars have a Somewhat similar function. Unit symbols are not great, but at least to me they look a bit like shoulder patches or so with the slight grey. It feels like I'm the commander in the HQ watching using some machine to give orders or maybe even sitting in a command vehicle while the reports come in. At least these are my associations.
CoH3? Colorful VP bars that are super generic they could be the health bar in a FPS. The whole top bar looks like it was thrown together in 5 minutes without any style. The abilities to the right also look very "flat". The current task looks like the info panel in basically every other modern game. Bottom resource bar is the same as well: Just dull.

Yes, the UI gives all the information you need. At the same time it does not set any tone, any feeling, any atmosphere. It is as sterile as it can get.

I am the kind of person that would always go for functionality over design, but there is no reason to eradicate any design and go for the most basic option possible. I also don't like that the right border of the window is used for UI either. Why space out all the information over the whole display? It could be all at the same spot, so if I need all basic information, I just look there and not at 3/4 different points. The commander abilities should be on the bottom too. If I want to target them to a specific spot, a horizontal alignment guarantees the overall shortest route to clicking the button and then clicking on the map, potentially even the mini map.
To end on a good note: It is good that finally the unit symbols are next to the mini map. This makes the most sense: Click on a unit and see it highlighted on the map without needing to traverse your eyes across the whole screen.
These are small things, but they do make the UI better. But since it is an alpha, I hope they still work heavily on the UI. I'd really prefer a more atmospheric one.
14 Jul 2021, 14:53 PM

I'm not really sure what you'd expect. The core gameplay has already been established and perfected over the first two games. There's really not much more to add, or you'll risk ending up with more Blizzards. The only thing that a sequel needed to do is combine the best of both (resource system from vCoH with flag capture system from CoH2, etc.), tackling the major issues (garrisons, faction tools, etc.), and polish up the things that didn't work too well (side armor, pathing, etc.).
And CoH3 seems well under way to doing just that.
Pip
14 Jul 2021, 15:09 PM

COH 3 Issues

-UI

-Camera

The UI is very clearly placeholder, to be fair. I wouldn't put much stock into it right now. I expect it will be closer to CoH2's upon full release.

The camera is also likely work-in-progress, and subject to major changes. If i'm honest, it feels as though you can zoom out more than in CoH2, but I havent done a side-by-side. Better camera control is something I'm VERY hopeful we'll see as development progresses. CoH's cameras have always been a little... lacking.
14 Jul 2021, 15:19 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I'm not really sure what you'd expect. The core gameplay has already been established and perfected over the first two games. There's really not much more to add, or you'll risk ending up with more Blizzards. The only thing that a sequel needed to do is combine the best of both (resource system from vCoH with flag capture system from CoH2, etc.), tackling the major issues (garrisons, faction tools, etc.), and polish up the things that didn't work too well (side armor, pathing, etc.).

Getting the best stuff out of both games is totally fine, but the game would still only be a "best of". I hope that they at least try for some real novelty.
I'd actually be very happy if something like blizzards, deep snow, mud etc would be implemented again, even in multiplayer.
CoH2 did not properly tie these (especially the blizzards) into other mechanics and the overall pacing of the game. This and the fact that all DLC factions were designed in a semi-broken state lead to CoH2 feeling fairly constrained compared to what the single player offered. Coh2 is a good game and I sunk and still sink a lot of hours into it. But in the end I can't deny that most of the matches feel very similar to each other.
14 Jul 2021, 17:20 PM

Why is th panning so awful? Like it has inertia on it, turned up to max and still way too slow

I also felt this, seens like the edge has a delay before it begins to move.
14 Jul 2021, 18:04 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Let me rephrase it.

It's expected that they won't show everything in a pre alpha and that many things are still been worked out. But what they have shown in the preview didn't hype me us much. Because what they have to show up and talked about was mainly single player. Because as they said, features will be changed accordingly depending on how they played out for the multiplayer.

As to what i expect? Well, confirmation that they have in the sights many QOL things for the multiplayer mainly. Even if they don't have anything to show up atm. Just like what they did with the mention of keybinding.

14 Jul 2021, 19:08 PM

As to what i expect? Well, confirmation that they have in the sights many QOL things for the multiplayer mainly. Even if they don't have anything to show up atm. Just like what they did with the mention of keybinding.

I see. All I can say is that Relic is taking this players approach very seriously. I made the case for side armor myself two years ago, with a lot of others backing it up, and they decided to put it into the game as a new major feature. So I expect many issues that have been or will be brought up will be addressed. If you want to see certain things make sure to leave feedback or suggestions on the new CoH-Development forums. With what we've seen so far already in terms of improvements/overhauls (garrisons, side armor, resource system, etc.), I am confident they will tackle (or at least attempt to) as many player grievances as their budget allows.
PAGES (8)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight