Login

russian armor

Are osttruppen still viable in 2021?

31 May 2021, 17:32 PM

Though their department is in defense and weapon re-crew, I don`t see anyone using them anymore, they definetly don`t fare well against USF and British alone (mostly because you already ran out of manpower trying to get MGs and PAKs)

Possible idea:

Should they have an upgrade of panzershreck like the old volskgrenadier so they don`t have to literally use all their ammo on panzerfaust and unreliable artillery?
Pip
31 May 2021, 17:43 PM

Should they have an upgrade of panzershreck like the old volskgrenadier so they don`t have to literally use all their ammo on panzerfaust and unreliable artillery?

If there's nothing else to take away from this thread, it's this:

Ostruppen should NOT get Panzershrecks.
31 May 2021, 17:57 PM

They cant compete vs Obers and Rifleman, so they are clearly underpeforming. So the balance team tried to buff their dps, but it was not enough. Thats why i think Osttruppen should get one lmg34 on top of their lmg42. Maybe increase their squad size to seven just to be save.

2 Shrecks sound good, but Teller and an at nade like Conscripts RPG-43 are mandatory.
31 May 2021, 18:11 PM

very thin line between OSSTR being UP or OP, any changes should be done with care, but i feel imo its closer to UP than OP
31 May 2021, 18:12 PM

Here's a possible idea: make it an 8 men squad with 3 mg34s
31 May 2021, 18:16 PM

Though their department is in defense and weapon re-crew, I don`t see anyone using them anymore, they definetly don`t fare well against USF and British alone (mostly because you already ran out of manpower trying to get MGs and PAKs)

Possible idea:

They are not that good for recrewing weapons (especially ATG since the penalties). If it safe to recrew weapons pioneer make better crews.
31 May 2021, 18:56 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Osttruppen had never been THAT good for 4v4, which i see is the mode you play on.

Atm, they are barely good enough for 1v1 and anything better than now will break the mode again.

Don't expect much changes coming for them outside of what you already see in the preview.
31 May 2021, 23:03 PM

Ostruppen are still very viable, just look at the recent ML5
1 Jun 2021, 00:39 AM

Speaking from 2v2 perspective, they are still incredibly strong. Compliment them with things that are at your disposal such as Gw-34, Sniper and Most importantly Panzergrenadiers and they will do wonders.
1 Jun 2021, 06:43 AM

It should not get any buffs. Just watch some ostt play in 1v1. 15 reinforce cost makes it very viable.

Unless you want to see everyone doing ostt spam in 1v1 again.
1 Jun 2021, 15:28 PM

I don't understand why people think Ostruppen aren't viable since their combat performance hasn't been touched just their early game timing. In terms of cost effectiveness they work just as good as they did previously. Oppressive early game pressure isn't the only thing that made them viable...plus they will be getting some minor buffs (probably) in the next patch so they should be more than fine to use.
1 Jun 2021, 15:43 PM

Ostruppen don't need any buffs. When played properly they're still quite powerful and imo are perfectly in line with other infantry while providing a unique experience to justify playing them.

I think part of the problem with Ostruppen is that they're perceived as a garbage unit due to the way they're described in-game, their price, and if you happen to misplay with them they have a very low floor of effectiveness compared to other mainline infantry (Part of the reason so many people think Cons are bad too.)

In short, "You can count on Ostruppen!"
1 Jun 2021, 15:58 PM

I don't understand why people think Ostruppen aren't viable since their combat performance hasn't been touched just their early game timing. In terms of cost effectiveness they work just as good as they did previously. Oppressive early game pressure isn't the only thing that made them viable...plus they will be getting some minor buffs (probably) in the next patch so they should be more than fine to use.
Osstruppen performed better in number and their number has been reduced.

In addition the Pg support has also been delayed.

Currently their simply Grenadier ver 2.
1 Jun 2021, 16:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Jun 2021, 15:58 PMVipper

Currently their simply Grenadier ver 2.

This is blatantly incorrect considering that you play Ostruppen and Grens completely differently due to their toolsets. Just because both units come out of Infantry Company now doesn't mean they are the same unit. That's akin to calling Conscripts and Grens the same unit which is an absurd notion.

The nerfs to Ostruppen were perfectly warranted because they were batshit insanely efficient in the hands of someone capable meaning you simply couldn't overcome their raw speed and effectiveness to cost ratio. Slowing them down was as a necessity without losing the spirit of the unit.
1 Jun 2021, 16:46 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Jun 2021, 16:16 PMJPA32

This is blatantly incorrect considering that you play Ostruppen and Grens completely differently due to their toolsets. Just because both units come out of Infantry Company now doesn't mean they are the same unit. That's akin to calling Conscripts and Grens the same unit which is an absurd notion.

Let me see now:
Grenadiers are a defensive infatry with a faust, that comes from t1 and can upgrade with an LMG
Ostruppen are a defensive infatry with a faust, that comes from t1 and can upgrade with an LMG

Yes that sound completely different game play.

(although irrelevant Conscripts are T0 not T1)

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Jun 2021, 16:16 PMJPA32

The nerfs to Ostruppen were perfectly warranted because they were batshit insanely efficient in the hands of someone capable meaning you simply couldn't overcome their raw speed and effectiveness to cost ratio. Slowing them down was as a necessity without losing the spirit of the unit.

Only problem with that theory was that the original spirit of the unit was "raw speed and effectiveness to cost ratio" and the unit has almost lost its spirit.
1 Jun 2021, 18:32 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Jun 2021, 16:46 PMVipper

Let me see now:
Grenadiers are a defensive infatry with a faust, that comes from t1 and can upgrade with an LMG
Ostruppen are a defensive infatry with a faust, that comes from t1 and can upgrade with an LMG

Yes that sound completely different game play.

(although irrelevant Conscripts are T0 not T1)

Only problem with that theory was that the original spirit of the unit was "raw speed and effectiveness to cost ratio" and the unit has almost lost its spirit.

Except for the fact that Ostruppen still are cheaper to build and thus arriver faster and are cheaper and faster to reinforce and thus are more effective in terms of cost to field. Just because they aren't as far apart from the Grens as when they were call-ins doesn't mean those advantages still don't exist.
1 Jun 2021, 18:51 PM

Except for the fact that Ostruppen still are cheaper to build and thus arriver faster and are cheaper and faster to reinforce and thus are more effective in terms of cost to field.

Not they do not arrive faster since the need the same time to build as grenadier any difference come only after 2-3 unit.

They are cheaper to reinforce but they have bigger target size and thus suffer more loss while they need cover to have some DPS.

Just because they aren't as far apart from the Grens as when they were call-ins doesn't mean those advantages still don't exist.

And that is why I described them as grenadier ver.2

I am not sure what you arguing about unless you agree "that you play Ostruppen and Grens completely differently due to their toolsets."
1 Jun 2021, 19:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Jun 2021, 18:51 PMVipper

Not they do not arrive faster since the need the same time to build as grenadier any difference come only after 2-3 unit.

They are cheaper to reinforce but they have bigger target size and thus suffer more loss while they need cover to have some DPS.

And that is why I described them as grenadier ver.2

I am not sure what you arguing about unless you agree "that you play Ostruppen and Grens completely differently due to their toolsets."

Ostruppen have always had the bigger target size and cover requirement and yet were used to good effect before so there really isn't a need to consider that. If you can build 2-3 ostruppen faster than 2-3 Grenadiers because they are cheaper then that is still an advantage is all I'm saying. Their faster/cheaper reinforce time also lets you get back on the field faster too which is also still an advantage. They have always been "grenadier ver. 2" . You're saying that like it's a bad thing or something new but Call-In Grenadier Ver. 2 and Buildable grenadier Ver. 2. is still grenadier ver. 2. no matter how you slice it.
1 Jun 2021, 19:46 PM
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS