Login

russian armor

Arty spamming

15 Mar 2021, 18:07 PM

I can understand the frustration about fighting it.

You just park your arty right outside your base and protect it with mines zwhere bunkers and what not.

Then comes the second frustration

I need to pick a commander especially to counter arty spamming, which just leads to more frustration.

There is no other way to deal with arty than becoming an arty spammer yourself
15 Mar 2021, 19:46 PM

I can understand the frustration about fighting it.

You just park your arty right outside your base and protect it with mines zwhere bunkers and what not.

Then comes the second frustration

I need to pick a commander especially to counter arty spamming, which just leads to more frustration.

There is no other way to deal with arty than becoming an arty spammer yourself

I'm not sure there was a question in this? Unfortunately yes, one needs to pick arty & call-in abilities to deal with SPG/fixed gun spam unless they skip enough defences for a dive to be feasible. That or break their back in the field and overrun. Fixed guns can't retreat at least.
15 Mar 2021, 20:51 PM

Yes, artillery is what makes this game suck ass. It needs to be removed. But some dumb ass at relic thinks its good to have the game decided by RNG. Fire this dumb ass and remove the arty. EZ.

Nerf it to shit and I guarantee the player base goes up 5000%.

No one wants to play a perfect game just to have their army erased by some noob who made caches then spammed arty.

Every game I play, where arty gets spammed, ends in frustrated players calling each other arty noobs, racial slurs, etc.

This is usually only a prob in large game modes like 4v4. The game is designed for 1v1. but no one uses arty in 1v1. Just remove this aspect and be done with with.

Remove snipers, nerf mortar and rocket indirect, and remove arty and this game would be a million times more popular.

Go another step further where your commander choices leave you with no counter to something on the field and it would be even better.

EDIT:
MOST PERFECT GAMES EVER MADE:
Pre computer: Robotron
2D: Super Mario Bros
3D: Quake III Arena
RTS: None

Coh2 would easily hands down be the best RTS ever made. Except for a few stupid choices made at the beginning.
15 Mar 2021, 20:55 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Mar 2021, 20:51 PMRosbone
Yes, artillery is what makes this game suck ass. It needs to be removed. But some dumb ass at relic thinks its good to have the game decided by RNG. Fire this dumb ass and remove the arty. EZ.

No one wants to play a perfect game just to have their army erased by some noob who made caches then spammed arty.

Every game I play, where arty gets spammed, ends in frustrated players calling each other arty noobs, racial slurs, etc.

This is usually only a prob in large game modes like 4v4. The game is designed for 1v1. but no one uses arty in 1v1. Just remove this aspect and be done with with.

Remove snipers, nerf mortar and rocket indirect, and remove arty and this game would be a million times more popular.

Go another step further where your commander choices leave you with no counter to something on the field and it would be even better.

Coh2 would easily hands down be the best RTS ever made. Except for a few stupid choices made at the beginning.

You mean deleting half the game?
15 Mar 2021, 21:01 PM

You mean deleting halve the game?

The shit half. yes.

There are a few goals for artillery:
- Break up static fights.
- Balance out people who suck at the game. Give them a mechanic to fight with.

STATIC FIGHTS
Arty spam does not break up static fights. It randomly chooses who wins the game by erasing their shit. It is way too strong. It needs to do damage but not kill to force the enemy to move. Not erase their shit with no indication its coming.

60% of games I play end once the enemy gets some arty up and your team cant counter it. Well that's a waste of 25 minutes I will never get back. Screw this game. Delete.

PEOPLE WHO SUCK
People that suck ass can play brits. They already have a bullshit mechanic that is at least counterable.
15 Mar 2021, 21:08 PM

EDIT:
RTS: None

Never heard more Stup id than this. More Ppl will actually leave the game.
15 Mar 2021, 21:13 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Mar 2021, 21:01 PMRosbone

PEOPLE WHO SUCK
People that suck ass can play brits. They already have a bullshit mechanic that is at least counterable.

I mean, doesnt the brits have by far weakest arty options anyway? Mortar pit is being boosted, but its far from being uncountarable, in most cases quite opposite, while base howis are no-where near effectiveness of any static howi. In 99% cases if you got rekt by UKF base howis, its your own mistake.

Not like UKF is not cancerous, but inderect fire is by far the weakest for them.

In teamgames if you play axis, objectively the hardest and the most broken thing is Caliope, for allies its hands down LeFH (which is presented in such a varaity of good commanders, that you will most likely face it).

So its in terms equally unhealty for both sides, especially if you dont pick an optimal commaders to deal with it.
15 Mar 2021, 21:27 PM

Make it a limit to one per player and modify its behaviour, can't be decrew but can't fire if put at 30% of life.

do the same with the mobile ones, sexton and priest. Limit one per player.

Additionally, make an exclusive area around the schwerer, can't build a lefh in the schwerer cover area or can't build the schwerer if a lefh is in the area

Then reduce the number of shell per barrage and reduce the barrage CD so arty are more responsive.

15 Mar 2021, 22:08 PM

I mean, doesnt the brits have by far weakest arty options anyway?

Brits have the "no micro needed" options of Bofors and Mortar pits. And the mortar has been made even more cancerous now (for no apparent reason).
15 Mar 2021, 22:10 PM

Never heard more Stup id than this. More Ppl will actually leave the game.

^ this is even more stupid than my post. <444>3
15 Mar 2021, 22:17 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Mar 2021, 22:08 PMRosbone

Brits have the "no micro needed" options of Bofors and Mortar pits. And the mortar has been made even more cancerous now (for no apparent reason).

Well I do share hatered for brits, but in global picture, objectively things like B4, LeFH, Caliopes, bunker spam are not far behind.

At least mortar pits and bofors are theoretically much more easier to deal with, since at least OKW has easily accesable flame strike or firesturm ind.ammo and ostheer can use mortar HT (even paired with LeFH because there is such commader). So in other words you have more or less accessible options. Even inf can deal with them, if you calculate your push right.

On the other hand howis and mobile arty units (not the ones which can be one-shoted) are in general much-MUCH more toxic in the nature. Because objectively there is no way in the world you will be able to get near them vs more or less decent opponent.
15 Mar 2021, 22:50 PM

Indirect fire suffers from a critical weakness that is direct fire. You people who cry about opponent going for multiple static artillery pieces should for example try not sitting on your ass. You do realize this game has a balancing mechanic called pop cap which effectively means that investing in artillery means they for example cannot field as many tanks as you?

15 Mar 2021, 23:07 PM

I mean, doesnt the brits have by far weakest arty options anyway? Mortar pit is being boosted, but its far from being uncountarable, in most cases quite opposite, while base howis are no-where near effectiveness of any static howi. In 99% cases if you got rekt by UKF base howis, its your own mistake.

Not like UKF is not cancerous, but inderect fire is by far the weakest for them.

In teamgames if you play axis, objectively the hardest and the most broken thing is Caliope, for allies its hands down LeFH (which is presented in such a varaity of good commanders, that you will most likely face it).

So its in terms equally unhealty for both sides, especially if you dont pick an optimal commaders to deal with it.

Out of all the opinions on this thread, I most closely agree with this one.

UKF has the weakest arty options of any of the factions. It has the second worst anti-arty options, behind OKW.

A mortar pit requires micro, if you want it to do anything or stay alive. Standard LEIG's will shred it if you don't actively fire back at them. LEIG's from Fuerstorm or MHT's kill it regardless. If you build a pit too early, you'll face one of these two counters, lose the pit, and spend the match playing on your back foot.

I do like the idea of limiting arty to one, and not allowing them to be decrewed.

If not playing with friends, I usually play Ost which has pretty good counters to arty, especially with Storm (which is also pretty good against sim city). If the other side has a lot of howitzers, I often go straight to Panthers. When I get to 2 or 3, I start diving with them and can often end the game with them.

I completely disagree with the premise that the only way to beat arty spam is to match it with arty spam. When playing allies, I've lost a lot of matches where a some point, it feels like I've been fighting 1v2 for the last ten minutes, then I look at my f*ckstick UKF teammate, and he has 3 Sextons chilling in his base, but no tanks and very little infantry. Then I realize I have been playing 1v2 for the last 10 minutes while the moron is playing sim city with added Sextons. At that point, I get pushed off the field and then just watch the Sexton versus Panther battle. I might even help by Pinging the Sextons for good luck while they battle the Panthers.
16 Mar 2021, 04:03 AM

EDIT:
RTS: AGE OF EMPIRES 2

Fixed best RTS for you.

Also, arty isnt a problem, it needs to be effective. If its a huge problem in 4v4, just raise the pop cap of arty.

If mortars suck, then the game becomes a WWI simulator of everyone dug in just outside of mg range with no options to support a push. In 1v1 you can just go elsewhere on the map, in 4v4, you cant.

Snipers are also an essential part of the game, why should I lose the ability to counter weapon teams and infantry spam, because my opponent cant out micro me?
16 Mar 2021, 04:14 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Mar 2021, 04:03 AMNaOCl
Fixed best RTS for you.

- I would agree if the graphics didn't suck.
- Planting food and hunting is way too boring.
- And when blobs fight its hard to see what is happening. Pixel soup.
- And there are too many factions. But that is just taste.

That is what makes COH so much better. Fewer units and you can see what is happening much better. It is all around an easier experience. But it has a few completely retarded ideas thrown in so it gets 67 viewers on Twitch while World of Tanks gets 6.7k viewers.

Also, arty isnt a problem, it needs to be effective. If its a huge problem in 4v4, just raise the pop cap of arty.

If mortars suck, then the game becomes a WWI simulator of everyone dug in just outside of mg range with no options to support a push. In 1v1 you can just go elsewhere on the map, in 4v4, you cant.

Snipers are also an essential part of the game, why should I lose the ability to counter weapon teams and infantry spam, because my opponent cant out micro me?

Snipers are debatable. They are more of a cancer for certain factions.

Just played a game of mortars landing every where all game long... out microed opponents and still lost badly to RNG. Their mortars killed you on the move with no sight, they win!!! Wasn't that fun!!!

Seriously, this game is a joke. Should be the best. Instead they cant even get people to play it for free. I rest my case.
16 Mar 2021, 04:19 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Mar 2021, 04:14 AMRosbone

- I would agree if the graphics didn't suck.
- Planting food and hunting is way too boring.
- And when blobs fight its hard to see what is happening. Pixel soup.
- And there are too many factions. But that is just taste.

That is what makes COH so much better. Fewer units and you can see what is happening much better. It is all around an easier experience. But it has a few completely retarded ideas thrown in so it gets 67 viewers on Twitch while World of Tanks gets 6.7k viewers.

Snipers are debatable. They are more of a cancer for certain factions.

Just played a game of mortars landing every where all game long... out microed opponents and still lost badly to RNG. Their mortars killed you on the move with no sight, they win!!! Wasn't that fun!!!

Seriously, this game is a joke. Should be the best. Instead they cant even get people to play it for free. I rest my case.

I do agree that mortar projectiles "following units" is wrong, it should be easy to dodge mortar shells if paying attention, when I am running around on a point and still get hit by every shell and its not even a barrage, can be annoying. If mortar shells auto-fired at where infantry was, rather than seemingly adjusting in flight(if that is how it actually works). Then it would be much better.

Mortars do need to be able to effectively and accurately punish suppressed infantry and mg teams though.
16 Mar 2021, 04:30 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Mar 2021, 04:19 AMNaOCl
Mortars do need to be able to effectively and accurately punish suppressed infantry and mg teams though.

Totally agree.
MMX
16 Mar 2021, 05:13 AM

this pretty much. both indirect fire and snipers are integral game mechanics for me and coh wouldn't be the same without it. sure you can argue that every faction should have equally viable means to deal with arty and counter snipers, but outright removing both would lead to even more static and predictable gameplay.
16 Mar 2021, 10:27 AM

The problem isn't all artillery, just heavy artillery. It was AIDS back in CoH1 and it's AIDS now. Severely limiting usage of heavy artillery, especially in team games, would do a lot to make the game better. Light artillery like mortars are fine and should be strong like they are now because they don't have the same wipe potential heavy artillery like Calliopes, leFH or Stuka zu Fuss have. Also I'd argue leIG borders on being too good, especially compared to current M1 howitzer.
16 Mar 2021, 13:42 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

/moved to gameplay section
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 0

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %