Login

russian armor

UKF Commander Revamp 2021

8 Mar 2021, 20:07 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Mar 2021, 18:50 PMVipper

Hold The Line! ability is OP

Hold the Line is garbage and has only existed to trap noobs into spending 250 munitions for a crappy ability.

First of all the ability has to be fixed as right now it doesn't even work properly most of the time.

I can not believe out of all UKF off-maps you chose this one as OP. I mean ??????

8 Mar 2021, 20:25 PM

Hold the Line is garbage and has only existed to trap noobs into spending 250 munitions for a crappy ability.

First of all the ability has to be fixed as right now it doesn't even work properly most of the time.

I can not believe out of all UKF off-maps you chose this one as OP. I mean ??????

Just play the game or read the previews posts or read the patch notes.

The ability has been "fixed" (but not really since now the planes arriving are as many as there enemy units all front line sectors).
8 Mar 2021, 21:12 PM

How does Hold the Line actually work? I rarely see this ability used but I have had a couple nasty confrontations with it.
8 Mar 2021, 21:38 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Mar 2021, 21:12 PMSpoof
How does Hold the Line actually work? I rarely see this ability used but I have had a couple nasty confrontations with it.

"Cost 250 MU

Duration 70 secs

-20% received accuracy to all squads in a friendly territory points.

After about 20-30 seconds, the RAF will send a plane to attack each individual enemy unit in friendly front line territory points.

For example, if you enemy has 10 units in your front-line sector's territory, then 10 typhoons will come to attack each individual enemy unit.

If the enemy units remain and continue to loiter around in your sectors, then more typhoons will continue to make single passes at individual units until the sector is clear, your front-line territory is lost/contested, or the ability duration runs out."

In sort it can stop all attacks in all front line sectors for 70 secs.
Pip
8 Mar 2021, 21:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Mar 2021, 21:38 PMVipper

"Cost 250 MU

Duration 70 secs

-20% received accuracy to all squads in a friendly territory points.

After about 20-30 seconds, the RAF will send a plane to attack each individual enemy unit in friendly front line territory points.

For example, if you enemy has 10 units in your front-line sector's territory, then 10 typhoons will come to attack each individual enemy unit.

If the enemy units remain and continue to loiter around in your sectors, then more typhoons will continue to make single passes at individual units until the sector is clear, your front-line territory is lost/contested, or the ability duration runs out."

It does sound strong, though it has been broken (Apparently) for the longest time... and I don't know exactly what a Typhoon strafe does in terms of damage.

Best thing to do would be to put a video together to demonstrate its strength (or lack thereof). Nobody will be convinced of anything, on either side of the "Argument", until there's some actual proof that the ability works properly.

I'd do it, but;

A: I'm Lazy

B: I haven't got a horse in this race.
8 Mar 2021, 21:49 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Mar 2021, 21:38 PMVipper

Or is completely useless unless there are emplacements and fighting positions everywhere, because you can decap a point before planes take effect.

I'll just say it this way - there is a reason it wasn't meta even for 5 seconds. Its effectiveness is on paper exclusively with practical applications being limited to team games with players having local pizzeria phone number for a rank.
Pip
8 Mar 2021, 21:55 PM

Or is completely useless unless there are emplacements and fighting positions everywhere, because you can decap a point before planes take effect.

Depends if you can delay your opponent from decapping those points while the Typhoons fuel up, You're kind of assuming the ability is the /only/ thing defending the map during those 70 seconds, which isnt any more realistic than the idea that every point will have a BOFORs and 17 pounder defending it. I'll agree that 250 muni is an absurdly steep price, but I'd still love to see what it actually DOES in a best-case/average-case/worst-case scenario. Might be able to see which, if any, changes might be warranted for the ability.

What was (or is?) the bug that was affecting it, anyway? I've heard people say it's "bugged", but never heard what that bug was.

As an aside; I can't say I like these UKF abilities that just target the ENTIRETY of the frontline, rather than merely a couple sectors/an AOE. Feels really gimmicky.

Close The Pocket is similar... but takes more setup.
8 Mar 2021, 21:58 PM

There were my suggestions from the Wishlist Thread.

UKF - Special Weapons & Advanced Emplacements

8 Mar 2021, 22:11 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Mar 2021, 21:55 PMPip

Depends if you can delay your opponent from decapping those points while the Typhoons fuel up, You're kind of assuming the ability is the /only/ thing defending the map during those 70 seconds, which isnt any more realistic than the idea that every point will have a BOFORs and 17 pounder defending it. I'll agree that 250 muni is an absurdly steep price, but I'd still love to see what it actually DOES in a best-case/average-case/worst-case scenario. Might be able to see which, if any, changes might be warranted for the ability.

What was (or is?) the bug that was affecting it, anyway? I've heard people say it's "bugged", but never heard what that bug was.

As an aside; I can't say I like these UKF abilities that just target the ENTIRETY of the frontline, rather than merely a couple sectors/an AOE. Feels really gimmicky.

Close The Pocket is similar... but takes more setup.

Lets not forget that axis also has abilities that increase decapping speed and even allow vehicles to do it in literally 3 seconds.
Pip
8 Mar 2021, 22:37 PM

Lets not forget that axis also has abilities that increase decapping speed and even allow vehicles to do it in literally 3 seconds.

Sure, but they still can't cap if units are standing on the capture zones, and not every commander has that ability. Regardless, I'm still interested in seeing what the ability actually can do.
8 Mar 2021, 23:08 PM

Hold the Line is good on paper but in reality spending 250 muni on this ability is just terrible because the planes (which make the ability so expensive) arrive very late and if the enemy decaps territory or moves out of it the planes will never arrive which means you just spend 250 munitions on nothing.

It's basically clicking the button and then hoping the enemy doesn't move for 10 seconds so the planes can be triggered. It's just too hard to pull off to make it worth it.
8 Mar 2021, 23:21 PM

Hold the Line is good on paper but in reality spending 250 muni on this ability is just terrible because the planes (which make the ability so expensive) arrive very late and if the enemy decaps territory or moves out of it the planes will never arrive which means you just spend 250 munitions on nothing.

In sort you agree with my point that the ability needs a redesign (regardless of your reasons) and that is fine by me.

(Although UKF with -20% received accuracy can defend a sector for few seconds and the ability does not trigger only 1 sector but multiple.

And cap mechanism is in line with other similar abilities so nothing special here. What is special about the ability is that it targets all enemy units in all front-line sectors with planes)

It's basically clicking the button and then hoping the enemy doesn't move for 10 seconds so the planes can be triggered. It's just too hard to pull off to make it worth it.

Not really. It choosing to active the ability when you are confident that will be able to defend at least 1 front line sector for a few seconds.
Pip
8 Mar 2021, 23:31 PM

Might be worth going ahead and just totally reworking, then, eh?

Suggestions:

A: Far cheaper (80 muni? I'm not sure how to price something like this), planes arrive much sooner, and only affects one sector (Or one sector, and two adjacent sectors), otherwise the same.

B: Far cheaper (80 muni? I'm not sure how to price something like this, either), ability is changed to provide a large amount of DR to infantry within sectors, but have no planes. Optionally: Places a severe capture speed debuff on the sector, or even locks it down entirely as long as an infantry unit is still in the sector during the duration.

C: Cheaper, planes come much more quickly but merely suppress infantry/cause mild damage (and slow/button vehicles?), RA bonus remains. Capture speed debuff on sectors containing allied infantry.

I generally think "utility" abilities are often more interesting than pure "damage" abilities, especially if they're supposed to be almost "map-wide". it's a shame most offmaps are purely damaging abilities, I think there's more room for stuff like this. I wonder if a couple of these suggestions might be a little too strong for some of the more "interestingly" shaped cutoff territories, or Vps?

Disclaimer: These are mostly just idle thoughts on the "hold the line" theme, perhaps just buffing the ability and keeping its functionality the same would be preferred... I really haven't used the commander enough to know what it "needs".
Pip
8 Mar 2021, 23:57 PM

HTL isn't exactly stock ability either.

Well, no, obviously. Assuming your opponent has a particular doctrine that "counters" an ability when theorising on its use isnt really all that helpful though, is it?

Regardless: If the ability is weak, consider the suggestions I made on how to rework/improve its use-cases, I should expect further iteration on the ideas I put forth may be warranted.
9 Mar 2021, 08:47 AM

Commando Regiment

CP 3 Commando Glider Insertion

CP 3 Smoke Raid Operation

CP 6 Assault Operation

CP 8 Mortar Cover

CP 12 Air Supremacy Operation

General:
A commander with lots of MU and the trade mark commando that now has become available to 2 more commander. Oddly 3 abilities of the commander provide some sort of reckon over enemy sectors.

Suggestions:

Commandos

Increase the radius that commandos are detected to match other camo infantry, the current radius is very small (15?) and allow Commando to navigate late battlefield undetected.

Replace light gammon with HE with a light gammon incendiary (Similar to ST). Ambush infatry should not have access to powerful HE grenades.
And/or
Have grenades on CD on touch down since currently they can destroy HMG before getting fired.

Remove speed boost from first strike (and it is probably a left over of original design that included knives)

Replace the extra grenade range similar to PG

Move the vet 1 smoke grenade to UKF officer and Churchill's smoke

Give any vet bonus needed to compensate (generally bring vet bonuses closer to ST)

CP 3 Smoke Raid Operation

Possibly replace this ability with a Mortar unit using commandos as a crew (possibly even a pack howitzer since it was used by airborne troops)?

CP 6 Assault Operation

Lose the reckon planes that reveal all the map or make the ability target a single front line sector providing a single plane.

Possibly add a lower CD bonus for grenades for duration.

CP 8 Mortar Cover
Remove the flare in the area

Reduce CP to 7 and cost to 100-120
9 Mar 2021, 09:50 AM

The combination of 2 heavy munition intensive abilities in one commander (Special Rifle) is just bad. Move one of the abilities to Lend Lease Assault instead of Crew Repair. LLA needs a strong offmap.
9 Mar 2021, 10:00 AM

The decamping mechanism is inline with similar abilities "perimeter over watch" "sector artillery" that are available at CP 10-12 and do not provide bonuses to infatry.

If one activates the ability without being able to defend any of the effected sectors for a few second it actually his fault.

I'll just say it this way - there is a reason it wasn't meta even for 5 seconds. Its effectiveness is on paper exclusively with practical applications being limited to team games with players having local pizzeria phone number for a rank.

The reason one ability is not meta have more to do with commanders and not the abilities.

The reason why the ability was not used was the requirement that for taking affect was that the sector should be both front line and be caped by the player using the ability greatly limiting the the application.

After the patch it effect all front line sector that can easily be 4-5 sectors.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★