Login

russian armor

It's time for Main Gun Crits to go

PAGES (7)down
12 Dec 2020, 10:54 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Dec 2020, 10:43 AMVipper

How is that gun critical any different from missing the same shot or having 4 shots in row connect?

Accuracy and penetration can be improved by microing your vehicle properly, and these things are in fact partly what separates good players from bad ones. There's no real counterplay to getting a main gun crit, so you're treated unfairly by the game regardless of how well you play.

Besides, why would having accuracy rolls in the game somehow justify having main gun crits? We can't remove accuracy from the game, but we could plausibly remove main gun crits.
12 Dec 2020, 11:03 AM

I would be ok with this "feature" removed.
12 Dec 2020, 11:25 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Dec 2020, 10:54 AMsuora

Accuracy and penetration can be improved by microing your vehicle properly, and these things are in fact partly what separates good players from bad ones. There's no real counterplay to getting a main gun crit, so you're treated unfairly by the game regardless of how well you play.

A roll regardless of probability is still a role.

One can avoided the chance of critical be retreating his vehicle before it is below the threshold

Besides, why would having accuracy rolls in the game somehow justify having main gun crits?

It does not, on the other hand you accept one RNG and not the other.

We can't remove accuracy from the game, but we could plausibly remove main gun crits.

Well one can and in some cases it has already been done since some weapon have 100% accuracy.
12 Dec 2020, 13:38 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Dec 2020, 11:25 AMVipper

I don't know why you're trying so hard to make me sound like a hypocrite for wanting MGC gone from the game. The reality is that removing MGC would be a trivial task, and we already even have a tournament mod that does so. Removing randomness in general would be a huge task, requiring most of the game to be redesigned and reprogrammed, which is why I don't even entertain the idea of doing it.
12 Dec 2020, 13:40 PM

Accuracy is a foundational aspect of the game while main gun crits aren't. Accuracy is also something that can be to an extent controlled through player action (stopping to fire, moving closer, using buffs etc.) While main gun crits cannot be.
The two really aren't comparable.

A better mechanic to compare to would be the old chance to crit with flame weapons for an instant model kill. That was removed for a reason.
12 Dec 2020, 13:58 PM

Rng or rolls are the foundation of this game. Accuracy woudnt matter if their was no roll's or rng. It only the max range would matter.

Flame critz where removed cuz they could kill whole or nearly whole squads if unlucky. Main gun crits dont just delete the unit from the map. Its takes away most of its offensive capability. You can still save your tank if it doesnt happen during over extending your tank mostly.

12 Dec 2020, 14:07 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Dec 2020, 13:38 PMsuora

I don't know why you're trying so hard to make me sound like a hypocrite for wanting MGC gone from the game. The reality is that removing MGC would be a trivial task, and we already even have a tournament mod that does so. Removing randomness in general would be a huge task, requiring most of the game to be redesigned and reprogrammed, which is why I don't even entertain the idea of doing it.

I do not try to make sound like a hypocrite. I am simply saying what I said before "rng" has bad reputation since most people do not complain when the get lucky.

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Dec 2020, 13:40 PMSerrith

Accuracy is a foundational aspect of the game while main gun crits aren't. Accuracy is also something that can be to an extent controlled through player action (stopping to fire, moving closer, using buffs etc.) While main gun crits cannot be.
The two really aren't comparable.

A better mechanic to compare to would be the old chance to crit with flame weapons for an instant model kill. That was removed for a reason.

One can avoided the chance of critical be retreating you vehicle before it below the threshold
Pip
12 Dec 2020, 14:36 PM

Rng or rolls are the foundation of this game. Accuracy woudnt matter if their was no roll's or rng. It only the max range would matter.

Flame critz where removed cuz they could kill whole or nearly whole squads if unlucky. Main gun crits dont just delete the unit from the map. Its takes away most of its offensive capability. You can still save your tank if it doesnt happen during over extending your tank mostly.

A main gun crit leaves your tank entirely defenceless against anything heavier than a halftrack. A T-70 can kill a panther or even a Konigstiger frontally if their main gun is taken out by a lucky, and entirely unable to be influenced.

Imagine a critical roll on infantry making them unable to shoot.

Something being "In the game from day one" is also not an argument in its favour. ColdTech was similarly in the game from day one, as were multiple terrible balance decisions which were rightfully corrected. There is a reason the game isnt in the same state it was in on day one.

Accuracy and penetration already serve as the "RNG" part of vehicular combat, further random chance is not needed, and adds nothing but frustration to players' experiences.
12 Dec 2020, 15:46 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Dec 2020, 14:36 PMPip

A main gun crit leaves your tank entirely defenceless against anything heavier than a halftrack. A T-70 can kill a panther or even a Konigstiger frontally if their main gun is taken out by a lucky, and entirely unable to be influenced.

Imagine a critical roll on infantry making them unable to shoot.

Something being "In the game from day one" is also not an argument in its favour. ColdTech was similarly in the game from day one, as were multiple terrible balance decisions which were rightfully corrected. There is a reason the game isnt in the same state it was in on day one.

Accuracy and penetration already serve as the "RNG" part of vehicular combat, further random chance is not needed, and adds nothing but frustration to players' experiences.

The t70 can kill a panther or kt frontaly with some extreme rng. The same extreme rng that makes gun crits happen. And if your guns goes out and you didnt cover or support your kt or panther its on you.

The infantry not being able to shoot is a bad comparison.

That cold weather condition was imo pretty intetesting. I understand it got removed but their was little rng in it. You could counter it with good micro and awareness.

And if this game is nothing but frustration because there is a very small chance you get an unlucky crit and ruin the fun for other is quite selfisch... go play something else its very simple.

To many crits and conditions have already been removed some good and some not so good. Next people dont want bounces anymore or missing shots cuz my tank is expensive, or heavy cover damage reduction removed cuz my nades didnt kill behind cover.

12 Dec 2020, 16:06 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Snares didn't disappear the moment you had to damage the vehicle first below 75%

The dynamic that crits makes in regards to adapting on the fly is perfect. The problem is the white and black situation they can create for a low roll situation.

SPECIALLY when it can proc in any medium tank as long as you are at half HP which is only 2x shots received.
Pip
12 Dec 2020, 16:24 PM

Snares didn't disappear the moment you had to damage the vehicle first below 75%

The dynamic that crits makes in regards to adapting on the fly is perfect. The problem is the white and black situation they can create for a low roll situation.

SPECIALLY when it can proc in any medium tank as long as you are at half HP which is only 2x shots received.

If you're adamant on these RNG crits still being in the game, why do they need to be as impactful as Main Gun Crits? Crew Shocked and similar, temporary, or otherwise less impactful crits would be preferable to your main cannon being unusable.

Though i'd still prefer they be gone entirely.
Pip
12 Dec 2020, 16:27 PM

The t70 can kill a panther or kt frontaly with some extreme rng. The same extreme rng that makes gun crits happen. And if your guns goes out and you didnt cover or support your kt or panther its on you.

The infantry not being able to shoot is a bad comparison.

That cold weather condition was imo pretty intetesting. I understand it got removed but their was little rng in it. You could counter it with good micro and awareness.

And if this game is nothing but frustration because there is a very small chance you get an unlucky crit and ruin the fun for other is quite selfisch... go play something else its very simple.

To many crits and conditions have already been removed some good and some not so good. Next people dont want bounces anymore or missing shots cuz my tank is expensive, or heavy cover damage reduction removed cuz my nades didnt kill behind cover.

How is infantry not being able to shoot a bad comparison?

Alternatively you could go play another game. That would solve the issue, too. The game changing for the positive is not a bad thing.

Bounces/accuracy are core features of the combat system, they are not the same as random main gun crits, which are entirely unnecessary.

Heavy Cover reductions are also absolutely unrelated, as well. Cover is not a random chance. Its a core game mechanic, and entirely predictable.
12 Dec 2020, 18:06 PM

Complet removal like suggested destry the coh2's flavor. Please go somewhere else, if you dont like RNG; starcraft for example. Thank you
Pip
12 Dec 2020, 18:12 PM

Complet removal like suggested destry the coh2's flavor. Please go somewhere else, if you dont like RNG; starcraft for example. Thank you

Main gun crits are not the primary "Flavour" that makes people play CoH2. What a ludicrous thing to say.
12 Dec 2020, 18:19 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Dec 2020, 18:12 PMPip

Main gun crits are not the primary "Flavour" that makes people play CoH2. What a ludicrous thing to say.

No.

Just like salt isn't a primary spice that makes food amazing. It just enhances the taste.

Its all these little things together that make the game so repayable and unpredictable while keeping it competitive.

If you expect to win engagement/not lose unit at 25% or less health and not put it to sheer luck, I don't know what you really expect then.

Keep removing them and you'll end up with DoW3-WW2 version.
Pip
12 Dec 2020, 18:22 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Dec 2020, 18:19 PMKatitof

No.

Just like salt isn't a primary spice that makes food amazing. It just enhances the taste.

Its all these little things together that make the game so repayable and unpredictable while keeping it competitive.

If you expect to win engagement/not lose unit at 25% or less health and not put it to sheer luck, I don't know what you really expect then.

Keep removing them and you'll end up with DoW3-WW2 version.

This sort of absurd slippery slope argument really doesn't work. Removal of the most egregious examples of RNG (Downed Planes killing entire squads, Main gun crits, etcetera) is not going to lead to the game being a MOBA like DoW3.
12 Dec 2020, 18:30 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Dec 2020, 18:22 PMPip

This sort of absurd slippery slope argument really doesn't work. Removal of the most egregious examples of RNG (Downed Planes killing entire squads, Main gun crits, etcetera) is not going to lead to the game being a MOBA like DoW3.

Losing full health squad to an RNG event makes sense to be diminished or removed.

But we're talking here about vehicles on last legs which literally are a single shot away from death.
Situations where both vehicles are so low to the point where that crit would make a difference are EXTREMELY RARE and unlikely.

There is no issue with it, if you over commit, you put yourself in loving embrace of RNJesus and he rarely leans towards one who is losing.
12 Dec 2020, 18:32 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Dec 2020, 18:22 PMPip

I am fan of Plane crahes as well. But comparing those 2 is simply wrong. While plane crahes cant be predicted whatsoever, main gun crits can. If you have bad luck on day, close the game and come back another day.

Whining in the forum aint the best way to cope with it.
12 Dec 2020, 18:52 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Dec 2020, 16:27 PMPip

How is infantry not being able to shoot a bad comparison?

Alternatively you could go play another game. That would solve the issue, too. The game changing for the positive is not a bad thing.

Bounces/accuracy are core features of the combat system, they are not the same as random main gun crits, which are entirely unnecessary.

Heavy Cover reductions are also absolutely unrelated, as well. Cover is not a random chance. Its a core game mechanic, and entirely predictable.

You dont get my point concerning the cover system i made. The point is where will it end? It will end at a stale streamlined aka boring rts where everything is a certanty.

You think people will stop after removing main gun crits? Did they stop after cold weather removal or heavy engine critical or track destroyed? No they didnt, this very thread proves it.

And a good direction for the game is very subjective. I do agree it far better then years back. But the critical like main gun imo need to stay.

And still if a exeedingly rare crit causes so much frustration esp when it can also happen to your opponent why play this game? If you dont want those crits play dow 2 or 3, or c&c or star craft. They don have those feutures. It would save precious man hours not changing a great game into something its not designed or meant to be.
Pip
12 Dec 2020, 18:53 PM

I am fan of Plane crahes as well. But comparing those 2 is simply wrong. While plane crahes cant be predicted whatsoever, main gun crits can. If you have bad luck on day, close the game and come back another day.

Whining in the forum aint the best way to cope with it.

"Just move away from where the plane is"
PAGES (7)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight