Login

russian armor

Can we please address OKW arty flares in new patch

26 Nov 2020, 14:08 PM

Just reduce the flares radius. Ez fix.
26 Nov 2020, 14:10 PM

i kinda hate how the OKW recon flare is the only recon ability without a catch to it... other recon abilities can be shot down or need another unit (a mortar or a sniper) in close proximity... the OKW flare is basically recon without any drawback to it...
26 Nov 2020, 14:21 PM

The ability need an big increase in CD for sure.
26 Nov 2020, 14:42 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Really? No one?

Alright, then I'll do it:
*clears throat*
Brits have almost exactly the same ability REEEEEE!

Having said that, I agree. All these abilities should go. No offmaps, all can be put on main line infantry similar to Panzerfusiliers.
26 Nov 2020, 15:14 PM

Really? No one?

*clears throat*

Having said that, I agree. All these abilities should go. No offmaps, all can be put on main line infantry similar to Panzerfusiliers.

Axis OP, you know the drill :hijack:

But seriously, Spec Ops as a doc is all but dead in the 3v3+ matchups (how often do you see it next to Jagdt, Fort and maybe EA/Feuer?). 1v1? Snowball's chance in hell. Idk about 2v2. Nerfing the flares in a vacuum will probably drive the final nail in the coffin for this doc imho. The Command Panther is okay but the rest of the doc is pretty meh unless you're desperate for a counter to commandos lurking about in urban heavy maps. And mayyyyyyyyybe vs Shocks. Maybe. Flares are about the only saving grace for this doc. If it has to go, something good should replace it.

In any case I thought the winter balance patch will only address core armies not commanders o.O
26 Nov 2020, 15:32 PM

Attach the flares to the uhu, put the uhu in the doctrinal slot and put a tank hunter squad in med
26 Nov 2020, 15:45 PM

Questinable honestly, if we take a teamgames into a perspective, and consider that OKW with Spec ops will be actually teamplaying with some-one who has call-in arty, the it might be frustrating.

But again, for closer to the frontline, you can use fusiliers flare which is great, for behind the lines howi bombing, you can use luft recon.

I think the only real dangerious combination, is when its used with arty that requare vision and its not plane based (since it will be shot down anyway, without major assault).

At the same time comander is mediocre at best, its only good if you want to pull out something with your teammate, other then that its kinda pointless. Since pretty much only unique abilities are flares, radio silence and com.panther.

Flares are strong, radio silence is a gimic and command panther is nothing special.
Vaz
26 Nov 2020, 15:48 PM

I'll be honest, they feel cheap to me. Not just OKW, but UKF has it too. Cooldown and cost both need to be looked at and reevaluated. Attaching them to infantry is a good idea too.
26 Nov 2020, 16:23 PM

I agree, all off-map flare recons should be yeeted out of the game. Just replace it with a normal recognisance loiter.
26 Nov 2020, 16:27 PM

I agree, all off-map flare recons should be yeeted out of the game. Just replace it with a normal recognisance loiter.

Only if all flak units brought into line.

M5 is way to superior to any other flak. It can shoot down planes even before you are able to have sight of e.g. the enemy arty.

Ostwind or schwerer arnt able to do that.
26 Nov 2020, 16:36 PM

Im not qualified to talk about the allied AA except with a "the grass is always greener on the other side" comment that the allied AA options are usually doing a terrific job, while the OKW flak-ht struggles sometimes with its turret rotation rate.
26 Nov 2020, 16:43 PM

Really? No one?

*clears throat*

They are very different abilities. Not sure why they are compared at all.

UKF recon flare = random flares in all frontline sectors

OKW spec ops flares = flares at select target location available all over the map
26 Nov 2020, 17:05 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

They are very different abilities. Not sure why they are compared at all.

UKF recon flare = random flares in all frontline sectors

OKW spec ops flares = flares at select target location available all over the map

Because they allow non-counterable recon without any requirement for 60 mun at a click, that's why. They give excellent recon for arty and force your opponent to move.

To be honest if this is the level where you'd say that abilities can't be compared, then you cannot compare much in this game at all. Yes, they are not identical and function slightly differently, but they are quite close in terms of effect. The main difference is that UKF does not give visual behind the lines, but makes up for it for way larger area.

To be honest I find the UKF one even more annoying since this ability scales way too well for team games. One UKF player can give recon in almost all important places for all of his team mates every 2-3 minutes. It just scales too well in larger modes in my opinion.
26 Nov 2020, 17:21 PM

Stick the ability to all tanks, but with a global cooldown and slighlty lower 50 muni cost. Done.
26 Nov 2020, 18:52 PM

Because they allow non-counterable recon without any requirement for 60 mun at a click, that's why. They give excellent recon for arty and force your opponent to move.

To be honest if this is the level where you'd say that abilities can't be compared, then you cannot compare much in this game at all. Yes, they are not identical and function slightly differently, but they are quite close in terms of effect. The main difference is that UKF does not give visual behind the lines, but makes up for it for way larger area.

To be honest I find the UKF one even more annoying since this ability scales way too well for team games. One UKF player can give recon in almost all important places for all of his team mates every 2-3 minutes. It just scales too well in larger modes in my opinion.

Spec Ops flares are way stronger IMO especially in combination with things like Stuka CAS or other off-maps. The UKF one is not even close to being that cancerous.
26 Nov 2020, 18:54 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Stick the ability to all tanks, but with a global cooldown and slighlty lower 50 muni cost. Done.

Give it to the Command Panther and now you open up a slot for Spec Ops. Alternative give it to the UHU and it opens up a slot as well for the commander.
26 Nov 2020, 18:56 PM

Spec Ops flares are way stronger IMO especially in combination with things like Stuka CAS or other off-maps. The UKF one is not even close to being that cancerous.

The one UKF sees ALL the frontline though. You can't hide from it without retreating away. Also, not to mention that the doctrine it comes in literally allows you to call in base artillery right after using the flares. At least with Spec Ops you need separate artillery pieces that can be destroyed. UKF artillery can't even be destroyed, it's just continuous flare and shell.

Also, isn't the UKF one automatic? I don't really remember, I think it was passive, was it not?
26 Nov 2020, 19:09 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Nov 2020, 18:56 PMSpoof

The one UKF sees ALL the frontline though. You can't hide from it without retreating away. Also, not to mention that the doctrine it comes in literally allows you to call in base artillery right after using the flares. At least with Spec Ops you need separate artillery pieces that can be destroyed. UKF artillery can't even be destroyed, it's just continuous flare and shell.

Also, isn't the UKF one automatic? I don't really remember, I think it was passive, was it not?

Of course it is not automatic. It is a regular ability costing 60 munitions. I find myself rarely using it because the munition is better invested into LMGs, base arty and perimeter overwatch. It can be used in combination with the base arty but because it only reaches the frontline areas this is not particularly strong in real game scenarios.

26 Nov 2020, 19:13 PM

Of course it is not automatic. It is a regular ability costing 60 munitions. I find myself rarely using it because the munition is better invested into LMGs, base arty and perimeter overwatch. It can be used in combination with the base arty but because it only reaches the frontline areas this is not particularly strong in real game scenarios.

In other words, you don't use it because you already have a plethora of stupidly strong abilities to invest into.

Seriously speaking though, in 3v3s and 4v4s frontline flares are annoying as hell because the frontline is generally much larger in those maps. Many have said it before, it's an uncounterable ability like Spec Ops. It's not fair to remove Spec Ops flares without removing UKF flares.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★