Login

russian armor

Potential reworks for current doctrines

31 Aug 2020, 20:10 PM

While there are many viable and balanced commanders for each faction, there are also commanders which offer nothing interesting or that feature gimmicky, hard to use abilities.
This is a list of changes that I think could really help bring some of these underused commanders up to par with their more meta counterparts.

And to Relic, allowing the community balance team to rework commanders is a good business decision as people will be more likely to buy commanders in the shop if they are more interesting and viable.:hansREKT:

Sov

Most of their doctrines without T34/85s or KV1s, or doctrines without Shock troops, PPsH cons or Guards, really need one of these abilities to be viable, and my suggestion would just be to give the doctrines which don’t have KV1s or T34/85 either one of them, and doctrines without Shock troops, PPsH cons or Guards one of them.

Other suggestions:
Soviet reserve tactics tweak:
Replace rapid conscription with the kv1, as the soviets need heavier tanks or off map AT to compete late game, and rapid conscription is rather gimmicky

Conscript support tactics tweak:
Replace rapid conscription with the NKVD officer for the same reasons as above

USF

Rifle company rework:
Currently, this doctrine is too thematically close to Infantry Company.
This rework aims to change this doctrine into a doctrine that encourages aggressive use of rifles (flares, sprint and fire on the move upgrades) and direct fire support(E8 and 105mm Shermans), compared to Infantry company’s defensive rifle abilities (mines, sandbags and LMGs) and indirect fire support (MHT, Priest).

0cp - M4A3E8 Sherman
1cp - Enhanced combat training
~ Riflemen can sprint and be upgraded with camouflage
2cp - Advanced infantry equipment
~ flares, Riflemen upgrades: x4 M1 carbine or x2 scoped Garand, Rear echelons can be upgraded with flamethrowers
8cp - 105mm bulldozer Sherman
10cp - White phosphorus barrage

UKF

Special weapons regiment tweak:
UKF only have one doctrine with rocket artillery(and it is paid) while USF now have two(with one free), so I would recommend replacing the gimmicky hold the line ability with the more useful and thematically fitting land mattress, as it is a special weapon. This would also give UKF rocket artillery in one of their base commanders

0cp - AT sections
3cp - m5 support half track
8cp - Land mattress
10cp - Vanguard operation crocodile
12cp - Concentrated artillery operation

Ost

Festung support rework
In this doctrine, there are not fortifications to support, so I’d recommend giving the commander Fortifications instead of the mortar half track - the LefH provides all the indirect firepower you could need.
Replace the gimmicky mobilize reserves with plain Osttruppen
Smoke drop is also rather un thematic, and giving it the Jagdpanzer would fit the defensive theme and make it very unique.

0cp - Jagdpanzer IV/70
0cp - Osttruppen
2cp - fortifications
8cp - LefH
12cp - sector artillery

Lightning war doctrine tweak:
Replace Osttruppen reserves with the SdKfz 250 half track

OKW

Firestorm tweaks:
This doctrine can be very good, but 2 things hold it back. First, upgrading the flamethrower on your Sturmpioneers often isn’t done as this locks out the minesweeper on your Sturmpioneers, leaving up you very vulnerable to mines, and getting a second Sturmpioneer causes you to bleed too much MP late game. Second, The flammpanzer 38t is also a very good unit, but you lack a good unit to pair it with as your cheapest tank is 140 fuel.
Making the Rocket barrage leave flame pools like the waking stuka’s vet2 barrage would also make it more thematic, though this change is more thematic in nature and might make the barrage too powerful, so it’s not really necessary.

Allowing Sturmpioneers to upgrade both a minesweeper and flamethrower would solve the first issue, and I think allowing OKW to build the StuG 3 with this doctrine will help alleviate the second.

0cp - Assault gun support
~ In addition to the Flammpanzer 38t, StuG 3s can be build after upgrading panzer authorization
0cp - assault package
~ Sturmpioneers can now upgrade both a flamethrower and a sweeper
0cp - incendiary munitions
2cp - Opel blitz
9cp - rocket barrage
~ now leaves flame pools
1 Sep 2020, 02:58 AM

I remember one time I went to the restaurant. At first glance place looked neat, when I saw insane prices and ended up with my food being shit.
2 Sep 2020, 01:30 AM

I remember one time I went to the restaurant. At first glance place looked neat, when I saw insane prices and ended up with my food being shit.

Uhhh... you on crack bro?
2 Sep 2020, 13:12 PM

Uhhh... you on crack bro?

I think what he is trying to say is :

"At first glance this post looked neat due to its title, but then I saw what OP suggested and realized that this post it not neat at all"
2 Sep 2020, 13:17 PM

Ost

Festung support rework

0cp - Jagdpanzer IV/70
0cp - Osttruppen
2cp - fortifications
8cp - LefH
12cp - sector artillery

There are already to many doctrines with ostruppen as it is, don't add more please.

+1 for the USF Rifle company rework.
2 Sep 2020, 22:37 PM

Would really like to swap the KV-8 for the T34/85 in the Soviet Industry doctrine.

It's a tank based commander but without something better than the 76 it falls flat.

Not to mention the fuel drop is utterly useless. 100 munitions for 30 fuel that gets shot down the moment any AA hits the field? Honestly, why is the allied fuel drop so awful compared to the Ost one which is such better value, can be used for munitions too and can't be shot down.
3 Sep 2020, 05:46 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Sep 2020, 22:37 PMGrim
Would really like to swap the KV-8 for the T34/85 in the Soviet Industry doctrine.

It's a tank based commander but without something better than the 76 it falls flat.

Not to mention the fuel drop is utterly useless. 100 munitions for 30 fuel that gets shot down the moment any AA hits the field? Honestly, why is the allied fuel drop so awful compared to the Ost one which is such better value, can be used for munitions too and can't be shot down.

Try Armored assault then, it has both the t34/85 and the is2. Personally I found the kv8 very useful in Soviet insdustry, with two repair options available it can terrorize infantry all day. If I need something that can counter other tanks, then I just get Su 85s.
The fuel drop usually works around mid game, leading to early tanks, such as an early kv8 while there is nothing to counter it.
3 Sep 2020, 09:02 AM

i dont like the idea of taking away mortar half track, as its kind of a unicorn in ost commanders as it is, with only 2 that have access to it.
3 Sep 2020, 21:12 PM

Try Armored assault then, it has both the t34/85 and the is2. Personally I found the kv8 very useful in Soviet insdustry, with two repair options available it can terrorize infantry all day. If I need something that can counter other tanks, then I just get Su 85s.
The fuel drop usually works around mid game, leading to early tanks, such as an early kv8 while there is nothing to counter it.

I like the repair stations too much as they can really help non-usf allies.

I just think the axis fuel drop is vastly superior to the allied one.
3 Sep 2020, 21:17 PM

I think incendiary munitions also can merge assault package,or assault package change to Volks MP40 and Ober IRstg44 (for special OPS and Tiger commander too),flamepanzer and SP flamethrower and incendiary munitions be one ability
4 Sep 2020, 03:57 AM

axis fuel drop is better for sure, but as far as i know, it require player to actually have control of the fuels point itself. in some map where both fuel points are heavily contested, fuel drop become harder to use and event have the risk of falling in to enemy hand :v
4 Sep 2020, 13:39 PM

axis fuel drop is better for sure, but as far as i know, it require player to actually have control of the fuels point itself. in some map where both fuel points are heavily contested, fuel drop become harder to use and event have the risk of falling in to enemy hand :v

Unless its 4v4 lienne forest with fuel point in front of your own base.
4 Sep 2020, 13:59 PM

I am not sure why the "fuel" abilities are brought up since they have been debated in detail.

One convert MP to fuel/mu and the other Mu to fuel.

In addition Soviet fuel drop is uncountable in certain maps.
4 Sep 2020, 14:21 PM

I dont think we will see major commander reworks anymore:( But lets hope that we get some patches in the future with smaller commander tweaks. As I already posted several times OST is the faction that havent got any commander specific upgrades in a year while all other factions got improvements.
My hope:
Reworked Festung Support Commander:
- Stuka Smoke Drop (2 CP instead of 4 CP)
- Heavy Fortification (like the OKW ability)
- Forward HQ
- Howitzer (like before)
- Sector Arty (like before)
5 Sep 2020, 18:56 PM

I'll repost an idea that I suggested for some USF commanders

Swapping the M7 Priest from the Infantry Company with the M2 flamethrower of the Rifle Company would both be thematically more consistent and better completement each doctrine

Rifle Company would get an indirect support fire unit instead of leaving the Priest in a doctrine with the mortar halftrack and ToT offmap

Infantry would benefit thematically from a combat upgrade for rear echelon that has no business with riflemen

As @UnitG17 pointed out, some other changes could be applied, like the m3 ht to rifle company.

The browning upgrade (NOT the one for paras of course) doesn't warrant a single slot any more than mp40 volks does. I would bundle it with the m2 flamethrower in the Infantry company and Tactical Support company, I can't see more fitting commanders, aside from Urban Assault which has already the urb ass kit

"~ In addition to the Flammpanzer 38t, StuG 3s can be build after upgrading panzer authorization"

God I hope not, Hetzer, Ostwind, Stug 3.. don't belong anywhere near full tech and should come with Obersoldaten.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★