Login

russian armor

Ghost shells

21 Jul 2020, 19:06 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

"Ghost shells" as I call them are when you're shooting at something with an AT source and the shell just disappears when it reaches the opponents vehicle. I've seen this happen with AT guns and tanks with AT capability. Unsure about handheld AT. The shell looks like it collides with its target but there's no vibration from the target, no damage, no ground explosion. It just disappears into nothing and being a complete waste of round.

I'm sure other people have noticed this too.

I'm not sure it's possible to fix because to me it would seem like this is an engine limitation.
21 Jul 2020, 19:10 PM

Maybe the shell simply has moved its full length from scatter without colliding with anything and that is why it has disappeared.
21 Jul 2020, 19:29 PM

the shells goes too fast creating a wormhole
21 Jul 2020, 20:18 PM

Im not sure if its exactly a top priority since iirc, someone said that the /miss or hit/ result is determined the moment it leaves the gun barrel rather than upon impact, so it wouldnt really improve the accuracy
21 Jul 2020, 20:52 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

I've seen it with canister shots for M-42, but iirc it was due to canister shells don't have proper effect for bounce, and just dissapear instead.
22 Jul 2020, 05:52 AM

I see that bug Form 37 mmStuart
22 Jul 2020, 13:08 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Im not sure if its exactly a top priority since iirc, someone said that the /miss or hit/ result is determined the moment it leaves the gun barrel rather than upon impact, so it wouldnt really improve the accuracy

For small arm fire, that's true. But ballistic weapons can collide on a miss. If not you would never use attack ground.
22 Jul 2020, 17:49 PM

I often wonder if the problem is just the sound cue is not being played.

One of the weird parts of game programming is how many sounds can you play simultaneously? For hardware there is a physical limit. If you write your own library it can be as many as you want, but FPS will decrease with each added "voice".

So I wonder if other events are happening in the area that steal the voice/channel since they have a higher importance to play? So maybe the shot was a bounce or some other miss, so the game decided to not play it because a grenade was tossed near by?

Another possibility is the sound/animation no longer exists. Talking with SneakEye about Map objects he noted that a certain map object was set to a setting that was not defined or existed anymore. So maybe there is some weird bounce possibility that triggers sounds/animations that are not defined anymore?
22 Jul 2020, 18:56 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Regarding the shells that go under the map, I am also wondering of they are just an animation not triggering so you just don't see a ground explosion or something.

Does anyone know if the animation is required for the rest of the calculations to actually trigger (i.e. penetration, AoE etc)?
23 Jul 2020, 00:58 AM

I wonder if this has anything to do with animator and effect mismatches? I know that weapons will only play effects (sounds and flashes) that they're connected to. This theory would only be possible if a certain gun and target combination always produced the bug.
23 Jul 2020, 02:40 AM

Clearly git gud issue :)

Never personally seen it with handheld AT as far as I can remember.
23 Jul 2020, 03:09 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

Handheld AT ghost shell happened in the last tourney
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/664242742?t=04h10m16s
23 Jul 2020, 03:41 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Jul 2020, 03:09 AMSpanky
Handheld AT ghost shell happened in the last tourney
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/664242742?t=04h10m16s

Damn. I'd be mad.

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jul 2020, 17:49 PMRosbone

Another possibility is the sound/animation no longer exists. Talking with SneakEye about Map objects he noted that a certain map object was set to a setting that was not defined or existed anymore. So maybe there is some weird bounce possibility that triggers sounds/animations that are not defined anymore?

Above clip also rules out that as a possibility I guess, since (I'm assuming) a bazooka literally can't bounce on the rear of a 222 if it hits.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS