Login

russian armor

An Old Schooler's Rant and Observations

PAGES (8)down
30 Jun 2020, 10:19 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

To be honest I always hoped there would be a mod to play a CoH2 from some years ago. Not just to see how much has improved/changed over time, but also some slight nostalgia. The game was way more "brutal" (in the sense that I remember mortars knocking out entire repair crews in an instant) and RNG back then, which is obviously bad for esports. But some aspects made the CoH2 back then also very beautiful to play.

I prefer the current state of the game over the states I have seen in the last years, but this doesn't mean that it would not be fun to just jump into an old version and play that.
30 Jun 2020, 10:25 AM

Imagine release tiger ace and release OKW vs release Brits, old ISU and release USF

I am morbidly curious how crazy this would be. Almost every unit would have some cheese utility to counter in the other factions cheese.

Quad tiger aces being met by a dark storm of artillery cover, old KT and command panther combo vs hordes of IS-2 and big chungus release Churchill's. That would be a crazy mod for sure.
30 Jun 2020, 10:59 AM

no like/dislike tho please as this leads to polarization and angery arguements.

Thanks for the positive comment :-)

To be honest I think "Agree / Respectfully Disagree" works well on the HoI4 forums, though some other places do "Helpful / Unhelpful" or whatever.

disrespectful ungrateful simplistic people...
I've never seen a company fuck up a game so badly compared with Relic...
I can't believe people are stupid enough...
broken as fuck with cartoony abilities. The morons in charge...
damned if I was going to give any more money to Relic than I had too...

Have a good look at yourself and stop being a cunt to the guys who have provided so much fun to hundreds of thousands of people all around the world for free.

OK so basically you take a massive shit on everyone at Relic and on the forum, then accuse this James guy of being the cunt because he expresses an opinion about the current state of balance?

Yes, the balance team are volunteers and doing a good job and we should be grateful, but that doesn't mean we can't discuss their work...? Seems to me that at least he has started a discussion in a constructive way.
30 Jun 2020, 11:23 AM

To be honest I always hoped there would be a mod to play a CoH2 from some years ago. Not just to see how much has improved/changed over time, but also some slight nostalgia. The game was way more "brutal" (in the sense that I remember mortars knocking out entire repair crews in an instant) and RNG back then, which is obviously bad for esports. But some aspects made the CoH2 back then also very beautiful to play.

I prefer the current state of the game over the states I have seen in the last years, but this doesn't mean that it would not be fun to just jump into an old version and play that.

Honestly, in many respects my mod is very much like that. Ask Janne. :D
30 Jun 2020, 14:41 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jun 2020, 07:40 AMVipper
In my opinion such a project would be far more interesting if it brought an issue and then focused on solution and its side effects. That would actually be very helpful in choosing good solution with less side affects.

I think it was more oriented towards a good laugh on old times and having some perspective from where we come from.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions and hindsight is 20/20. When you make a rework or apply a big change, NOTHING can prepare you for what is going to happen when it goes live. Some things are inert on their own and require other changes to happen later on the road for it to become a problem. Which at that point we could argue that the context of a unit state makes it right or wrong, nor it's intrinsic values.

Because we can't have 3/4 week spread patches like say a MOBA, i don't believe we can have "good" solutions which are "effective" as well for GLARING issues.
I will always prefer smalls nudges rather than big hammer swings. But the later makes us move faster towards a better solution.

As for what is a glaring issue, that's subjective. But once you consider that something needs a "rework" or more than 2 values have to change in order to be effective, then i don't think you can realistically speculate solutions without side effects.

I don't know about anyone else but looking back this all seemed pretty fun

I still remember the sheer terror of trying to get double Pak and tellers down before the double T34s arrived. COH has lost a bit of that even though it's more balanced than its ever been.

I'm gonna say something a bit controversial.

Some people don't like Company of heroes to lean towards a STRATEGY game.

What the game did right at that time is making you feel that you were managing something "powerful". For lots of people this is what "fun" is.
The problem is, that ONLY a small part of the game content was relevant. More so when the discrepancy between META and non META was so huge.
30 Jun 2020, 15:01 PM

I will always prefer smalls nudges rather than big hammer swings. But the later makes us move faster towards a better solution.

I seriously doubt that. Big changes are only need when one want to redesign things or sift the meta.

After seven years of patches I would expect that people should have a rough idea what "values" should be close to balanced and playing around these values should be enough to balance a unit.
1 Jul 2020, 00:31 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jun 2020, 15:01 PMVipper

I seriously doubt that. Big changes are only need when one want to redesign things or sift the meta.

After seven years of patches I would expect that people should have a rough idea what "values" should be close to balanced and playing around these values should be enough to balance a unit.

Read again what i wrote after that.

"But once you consider that something needs a "rework" or more than 2 values have to change in order to be effective, then i don't think you can realistically speculate solutions without side effects."

1 Jul 2020, 05:29 AM

Whatever the merits of the current balance team - and I know nothing about them or who they are - they are evidently not people concerned with polish or professionalism.

James Hale, completely fitting my description to a tee.

It's really the only solution, because no one on in this community mod team, or Relic (whatever remains of Relic) has the big picture vision to understand asymmetric balance and strategic, vs, by-the-numbers, unit-vs-unit balance. It really is that simple and that stupid a game now.

Sluzbenik, perfect example of a guy looking at the teeth of the horse he got for free and being a cunt about it.

OK so basically you take a massive shit on everyone at Relic and on the forum, then accuse this James guy of being the cunt because he expresses an opinion about the current state of balance?

If you actually took a little more time and read what I wrote, you would clearly see that I did actually take a giant shit on Relic because frankly, they deserved a truckload dumped on them but I also said they finally got their shit together and made an absolute gem of a game. I also said that the community balance team are doing an absolute fantastic job and aren't getting paid for it and it fucking annoys me to no end having stupid uninformed clueless idiots who are being served by volunteers for free getting treated like shit.

The stupidity of suggesting COH1 is in anyway anywhere near the quality of COH2 in both of their current states is next level.
1 Jul 2020, 06:32 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

I would love to play the first version of the game again, holy crap.
1 Jul 2020, 07:34 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Jul 2020, 06:32 AMSpanky

I would love to play the first version of the game again, holy crap.

Me too - probably just to realise how crude it was compared to what we have now. But that would be a lot of fun tbh. Especially with those old maps...
1 Jul 2020, 07:55 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

There should be a mod to roll back updates. This is frigging cool.
1 Jul 2020, 09:07 AM

Imagine release tiger ace and release OKW vs release Brits, old ISU and release USF

I am morbidly curious how crazy this would be. Almost every unit would have some cheese utility to counter in the other factions cheese.

Quad tiger aces being met by a dark storm of artillery cover, old KT and command panther combo vs hordes of IS-2 and big chungus release Churchill's. That would be a crazy mod for sure.

i guess the allies have the edge here. think about the old brace and 17pounders. Also the arty cover would contantly blind the tiger aces, not to mention the old firefly tulips. Old elefant and jagdtiger would be a good call too however but i don't think it would be enough
1 Jul 2020, 15:57 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Jul 2020, 07:55 AMSpanky

Lol, i got some serious PTSD triggers out of that video.

-Nuclear homing mortars
-Infantry doing 0 dmg
-Company of houses
-Random flame crits
-Random building crits
2 Jul 2020, 00:51 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

Lol, i got some serious PTSD triggers out of that video.

-Nuclear homing mortars
-Infantry doing 0 dmg
-Company of houses
-Random flame crits
-Random building crits

Yea the game was a hot mess, but there was another beta after that one I think, which was a little better. Still remember #Pripyat river
2 Jul 2020, 01:29 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Jul 2020, 00:51 AMSpanky

Yea the game was a hot mess, but there was another beta after that one I think, which was a little better. Still remember #Pripyat river

Winter version was a little more interesting to play than "rush to middle with an MG" summer version.
PAGES (8)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Korea, Republic Of 4
unknown 3

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak