Login

russian armor

IL2 Precision strike seems uncounterable

PAGES (8)down
30 Apr 2020, 20:26 PM

So long story short, I played a 3v3 on Port of Hamburgh yesterday, Brit player went Sim City, I went artillery and tried shelling his emplacements. The Soviet player had IL2 precisions strike and nuked my arty. I thought about what I could potentially do to counter it so I went on cheatcommands mod and tried looking for a way to counter IL2. After a few failed attempts I decided to do the classic "find the extremes so I can approximate the middle" and set up a perfect scenario to counter the IL2. LeFH in a classic spot, 9 Ostwinds in perfect position to counter from the direction running through them. What I found was quite unsettling.

I'm not sure what Ostheer is supposed to do to protect the artillery. No matter how much you invest in AA you're not saving it. Is this OP? Is there something I'm missing? Is this intended?
30 Apr 2020, 20:28 PM

I'm not sure what Ostheer is supposed to do to protect the artillery.

The same thing soviets do to protect theirs from stuka dive bomb.

I don't believe any single run plane can be shot before delivering payload.
30 Apr 2020, 20:34 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

What???? You don't like uncounterable offmaps in giga doctrines that haven't received nerfs in 4 years? Heresy! Just pick the same doctrine every game and acheive rank 1 with arranged teams. Truely a well balanced gamemode for all good players.
30 Apr 2020, 20:38 PM

What???? You don't like uncounterable offmaps in giga doctrines that haven't received nerfs in 4 years? Heresey! Just pick the same doctrine every game and acheive rank 1 with arranged teams. Truely a well balanced gamemode for all good players.

Well I'm trying to get an actual response on what I could potentially do or if this is OP, I know certain doctrines are broken Kappa
30 Apr 2020, 20:40 PM

The plane was shot down, though.

Stopping any plane off-map when its dropping near the edge of the map is basically impossible, for any faction.
30 Apr 2020, 20:41 PM

What???? You don't like uncounterable offmaps in giga doctrines that haven't received nerfs in 4 years? Heresey! Just pick the same doctrine every game and acheive rank 1 with arranged teams. Truely a well balanced gamemode for all good players.

Basically this.
30 Apr 2020, 20:46 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Apr 2020, 20:28 PMKatitof

The same thing soviets do to protect theirs from stuka dive bomb.

I don't believe any single run plane can be shot before delivering payload.

Single can pass plane can shot down before delivering the payload if they fly enough distance inside the map.
30 Apr 2020, 20:51 PM

Howitzers in team games either dominate or get clicked away in seconds. There's not much in between

Basically don't go howitzer unless you already know they don't have an offmap, which is pretty rare imo

Reminder to everyone here that the plane question is itrelevant, time on target, railway, etc can do the same thing to a howitzer and there's no "countering" it
30 Apr 2020, 20:59 PM

Well I'm trying to get an actual response on what I could potentially do or if this is OP, I know certain doctrines are broken Kappa

Just build enough of them that they can't bomb them all..........

Try to selectively play against randoms, as they're much less likely to have howitzer counters. You can do this by getting your CELO rating worse than 1000 and playing by yourself. I promise this won't lead to pudding or be toxic. Playing 4v4's helps........
30 Apr 2020, 21:12 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Apr 2020, 20:59 PMGrumpy

Just build enough of them that they can't bomb them all..........

Try to selectively play against randoms, as they're much less likely to have howitzer counters. You can do this by getting your CELO rating worse than 1000 and playing by yourself. I promise this won't lead to pudding or be toxic. Playing 4v4's helps........

Nah I wanna get to lv18 in 3v3 so I can have an opinion on balance, since apparently this is the mode that the game is balanced around.
30 Apr 2020, 21:28 PM

Nah I wanna get to lv18 in 3v3 so I can have an opinion on balance, since apparently this is the mode that the game is balanced around.

Well, you aren't gonna get there by building lots of howitzers......just sayin......
30 Apr 2020, 21:35 PM

I'm pretty sure one or two Sov aa Halftracks would do the job. This unit is so much op..
30 Apr 2020, 21:36 PM

Regretfully all I can say is "DIG IN LADS, DIG IN!". AKA spam LeFHs until Verdun looks like a cakewalk or PZwerfers/Rocket arty spam.

That or get OKW Hans with ze heavy flammenwerfer and burn them to death before Sims can be put out properly
30 Apr 2020, 21:46 PM

I'm pretty sure one or two Sov aa Halftracks would do the job. This unit is so much op..

I'm waiting for you to upload a clip where you use one or two soviet quads to shoot down stuka dive bomb on arty then.
30 Apr 2020, 21:47 PM

IIRC i have seen this same behavior on the stuka smoke drop.

It kinda makes AA worthless i must say.

Edit: What if all howitzers get a shorter "brace" to counter a possible unstoppable force?
30 Apr 2020, 22:50 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

You can't realistically counter single pass planes in a real game against a player who selects the shortest route possible.

You need the AA unit to be in position, not hitting anything on the ground, having it's cannons aligned, having full clip and somehow having vision from the side the plane is coming around.

Special bonus if you try to counter recon planes, cause the crashing plane provides vision as well.

https://www.coh2.org/topic/83547/vision-offmap-planes

30 Apr 2020, 22:55 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Apr 2020, 21:46 PMKatitof

I'm waiting for you to upload a clip where you use one or two soviet quads to shoot down stuka dive bomb on arty then.

Once in a great while, quads will shoot down a single-pass recon plane. They're mostly good for loiter skill planes. I don't think any type of AA shoots down the IL2 or stuka dive bomb. Even if it did, you would still have Railway or Time on Target.
30 Apr 2020, 22:56 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

My brainstorm idea:

Howitzers and Pak43 like units get their crew to behave like USF vehicles. They can abandon the weapon which would self destruct (have to think of this in order to avoid abuse) but they have the ability to re-construct their weapon and crew it themselves for half the cost.

You need to be fast to react and the offmap still deals some economic damage.
30 Apr 2020, 23:30 PM

My brainstorm idea:

Howitzers and Pak43 like units get their crew to behave like USF vehicles. They can abandon the weapon which would self destruct (have to think of this in order to avoid abuse) but they have the ability to re-construct their weapon and crew it themselves for half the cost.

You need to be fast to react and the offmap still deals some economic damage.

Probably not possible to code it.

How about scuttling so that half the cost is returned?
30 Apr 2020, 23:33 PM

Howitzers in team games either dominate or get clicked away in seconds. There's not much in between

Basically don't go howitzer unless you already know they don't have an offmap, which is pretty rare imo

Reminder to everyone here that the plane question is itrelevant, time on target, railway, etc can do the same thing to a howitzer and there's no "countering" it

100% agreed, which is why I don't really want to see any buffs for howitzers. Having units randomly disappear doesn't make for fun games.
PAGES (8)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS