Login

russian armor

Artillery Flares-Early Warning

5 Mar 2020, 13:49 PM

Artillery flares
I cant believe how its still in the game. A recon comes from no where, has no counter. Just click and fire your walking stuka.

Early warning almost same nonsense.

Please do something about them already maybe Just like soviet and usf do, give them infantry units to be used
5 Mar 2020, 15:29 PM

I also think this ability is broken and badly designed but if they would nerf it in any way, then spec ops doctrine would be completely dead I think
5 Mar 2020, 16:28 PM

Maybe make the flare radius smaller, or planes scout a smaller radius and are harder to hit by anti air guns. At the moment, the planes are shot down very fast, and units like M5 quad gain fast vet 3 and shot down planes so fast sometimes, that you don't even have time to set an offmap ability.
5 Mar 2020, 16:40 PM

Artillery flares
I cant believe how its still in the game. A recon comes from no where, has no counter. Just click and fire your walking stuka.

Early warning almost same nonsense.

Please do something about them already maybe Just like soviet and usf do, give them infantry units to be used

The ability is OK.
At least doenst kill you a model, like the Cons flare.
5 Mar 2020, 16:54 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Mar 2020, 16:40 PMLeo251

The ability is OK.
At least doenst kill you a model, like the Cons flare.

abilities are debated by how many models they driectly kill when its activated? You really compare abilities which opens the half of the map other wherever you click cheap and for long time with a flare its activated when only you step on it?

At least you can sweep them right? Maybe hard/easy but there is an option.
Im talking about it has no counter. If cons flare broken it can be debated that doesnt mean others are must be fine.
5 Mar 2020, 17:14 PM

I also think this ability is broken and badly designed but if they would nerf it in any way, then spec ops doctrine would be completely dead I think

I think making the Cmd Panther more attractive and raising the flares cost to 150 would be a fair deal.
5 Mar 2020, 17:22 PM

Maybe give Spec Ops Panzerfusiliers instead? They have the flare ability on them, and though the squad itself needs some balancing work I think it's one that could definitely be in more doctrines.

(Possibly a special variant without Panzershreks to avoid Radio Silence + Shrek spam. TBH I dislike both Panzerfusilier upgrades and would rather the unit be balanced differently outside of upgrades.)
5 Mar 2020, 17:28 PM

Yes, let's kill all the remaining unique(ish) abilities from the game.
5 Mar 2020, 18:14 PM

What if they reworked it so that it could only be fired a certain radius from either a set up SWS or give OKW a "Recon Opel" similar to Strategic Reserves 251 HT.
5 Mar 2020, 18:21 PM

UKF "Early warning" is a similar ability.

What if they reworked it so that it could only be fired a certain radius from either a set up SWS or give OKW a "Recon Opel" similar to Strategic Reserves 251 HT.

The strategy reserves ability "mobile observation post" is rather weak. I would rather see it renamed to "observation post" and have it also add 5 vision to bunker and allow the to fire flares also.

A similar change should also be done to UKF Forward observation post.
5 Mar 2020, 18:26 PM

Perhaps give Spec ops smoke recon?
5 Mar 2020, 18:35 PM

Yes, let's kill all the remaining unique(ish) abilities from the game.

Recon is already in the game. The only thing unique about artillery flares/early warning is that they are uncounterable, and that's not a good thing
5 Mar 2020, 19:17 PM

Completely agree.

ALL "no skill" and "no counter" recon needs to be removed/replaced from the game. The easiest solution would be to replace those abilities with similar 'Recon Plane' abilities, since those are counterable with AA.
5 Mar 2020, 19:21 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Mar 2020, 18:21 PMVipper
UKF "Early warning" is a similar ability.

i think the ukf ability is less problematic since it's restricted to "front line" territories which depending on the map and current capped territories may or may not be a lot of sight. The ability to actively target a zone (especially howies and rear line support weapons) and combo that with off-maps in team games is what makes Spec Ops more problematic since Early Warning can't be used that same way.
5 Mar 2020, 20:06 PM

i think the ukf ability is less problematic since it's restricted to "front line" territories which depending on the map and current capped territories may or may not be a lot of sight. The ability to actively target a zone (especially howies and rear line support weapons) and combo that with off-maps in team games is what makes Spec Ops more problematic since Early Warning can't be used that same way.

The real problem is true for both though, and that is that they are uncounterable. There's situations where either ability can be better than the other, but the problem with them is essentially the same
5 Mar 2020, 20:18 PM

+1

I could life with removing the flares if Spec ops would get a proper revamp. I made a suggestion some months ago, did not gain much attention but i still like the idea of replacing the flares with a dedicated OKW Brandenburger Commando unit.

If anyone is interested here's the link to my redesign idea, other ideas highly welcome!

https://www.coh2.org/topic/102646/redesigning-okw-spec-ops
5 Mar 2020, 21:21 PM

Tie the flare to the command panther (thus liniting its range but still allowong for recon while also making the CP slightly more attractive)
Move the IRHT into the open slot reworked to provide targeted buffs/debuffs
Put a tank hunter squad into med truck: 4 man squad that starts with AT rifles, at satchel and maybe teller mines. Upgrade to shreks. Commanders that give infiktration nades also give this unit the AT barrage that ptrs cons get.

Spec ops stays viable
Med truck becomes more defensively natured and is filled with 3 viable units
IrHt problem solved as well.

For the ukf one just grant man flares as well. Maybe a but more extensive since its more to the theme of the commander, something like pyro tommies, mortar pits and the valentine or somethin like that.

5 Mar 2020, 22:28 PM

all call-in recon flares need to be replaced with recon planes.
5 Mar 2020, 23:43 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

The arty flare is not a big issue at the moment because people rarely play Spec Op at the moment. However I think it is bad design. Placeable flares for Volks like Cons or the ones that Panzerfüsiliere have would be better as they require more than a click and are actually counterable.

The Brit early warning is very unbalanced though. Nothing you can do about it. It usually performs at least well, but on maps where the frontline is on the diagonal it reveals basically all of the enemy territory that is worth seeing. It's bad design because there is no counter to it and it performs so differently depending on the map layout.
6 Mar 2020, 00:53 AM

If anyone thinks early warning is broken (which it is) then you cannot somehow make excuses for arty flares being ok (they aren't). They are the same ability.

Both are uncounterable with arty flares feeding your teammates vision on any static target deep behind the enemy lines or even their base for any offmap or artillery while early warning is a maphack on shorter maps.

Doesn't help that the spec ops commander has 0 other ammo sinks while brits get penalized out of concentrated barrage or overwatch if they don't conserve ammo.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS