Login

russian armor

How to counter Ostheer mg spam as Usf

28 Oct 2019, 18:36 PM

Besides slower setup/teardown and lesser range, the USF Mortar suffers from worse AOE distances that reduce overall damage output, and unlike the Ostheer mortar the barrage offers no improvement to scatter. I just can't justify building it on the basis of anything other than free smoke, and would never build one if I develop towards grenade techs instead.

In the context of 3+ MGs being suggested here I suppose it could be useful, however, though still more as an anti-garrison weapon as the barrage is not reliably capable of killing or sufficiently damaging (so as to incur a retreat) a MG crew out in the open IMO. Last time I bought the bullet on building double mortars in a 2v2 we got rolled and both mortars ended up feeling pretty useless with maybe 1-2 kills between them, despite heavy MG useage by Ostheer player.

If you can stomach the fuel and muni costs I'd say grenades are a more reliable investment most of the time.
sorry did u expect an added unit for no draw back at tier 0 to be equal to a tier 1 unit ? Cause if so let's remove bunker from gren and add rifle at tier 0 for other , obv this will not make osther op
28 Oct 2019, 18:47 PM

Guys remember that you shoot at 4 men squads and at a static faction that can't really dodge unless it packs up or starts moving when it can't shoot. USF mortar must be a bit worse to retain balance. USF is a mobile faction with larger squads and they piss on mortars as they are good on the move. That's why ostheer mortar is a bit better.

Against OKW it is a different story but they don't have a mortar.

You just can't make such comparisons as they are plain wrong. Or make such comparisons acknowledging other factors, not just how much damage a unit can deal. A 4 men squad has less health so to make it even there has to be a difference in DMG - result still favours USF mortar.
28 Oct 2019, 19:48 PM

sorry did u expect an added unit for no draw back at tier 0 to be equal to a tier 1 unit ? Cause if so let's remove bunker from gren and add rifle at tier 0 for other , obv this will not make osther op

I'm in full agreement that the US mortar is good enough, but this is a pretty strange argument to be making when the mg42 and maxim exist...
28 Oct 2019, 22:45 PM

snip

snip

What, am I not allowed to say the USF mortar is shit at dealing damage? Is that a rule?

This was an advice thread on how to deal with Ostheer MGs, and I gave my advice and knowledge. The forum doesn't need the Ostheer fan club brigading every counterstrategy thread telling everyone how pitiful ostheer is or whatever.

The USF mortar is an unreliable component in most game's USF builds and an ineffective damage-dealer. Me saying that doesnt demand buffs or bemoan balance, it's just saying things how they are. You can say it ought to be horrible because muh 4-man squads or whatnot, but that is completely immaterial to the subject of this thread. If you think it deserves nerfs or removal, make a balance thread.

I happen to think it's a waste of mp and popcap most of the time, but can be useful for providing smoke or clearing garrisons on certain maps and modes against certain builds. If you think the opposite feel free to say so, just leave the ostheer pity-party shtick out and keep on topic.
28 Oct 2019, 23:32 PM

it's an effective damage dealer , it just doesn't kill as fast
28 Oct 2019, 23:33 PM

Vehicles like the WC51 and M20 can help vs HMG spam especially since they have long range and vision

Smoke grenades from RE and Officer can help vs HMG spam.

USF mortar can counter HMG spam. Has good synergy with Pathfinder and IR pathfinder that can provide vision for it and take out entities with low health.
29 Oct 2019, 04:09 AM

AFAIK usf mortar has slightly slower ready aim time vs wehr mortar, but they have faster reload. The other specs seems same, except the slightly lower range and counterbarrage. Not bad for t0 unit.

I think Usf mortar is more accurate too.
29 Oct 2019, 14:21 PM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post29 Oct 2019, 04:09 AMmrgame2
AFAIK usf mortar has slightly slower ready aim time vs wehr mortar, but they have faster reload. The other specs seems same, except the slightly lower range and counterbarrage. Not bad for t0 unit.

I think Usf mortar is more accurate too.

It's true. The usf mortar is more accurate than the Ost mortar from testing. USF players never stop complaining so nothing satisfies them. I'd never get more than one due to its less range. I'd get pak howi instead of 2nd mortar
29 Oct 2019, 14:41 PM

It's true. The usf mortar is more accurate than the Ost mortar from testing. USF players never stop complaining so nothing satisfies them. I'd never get more than one due to its less range. I'd get pak howi instead of 2nd mortar

Can you show us some of these stat defying tests? I looked it up after I got corrected by Mazianna and USF mortar has only drawbacks compared to Ostheer mortar:

- When using barrage, Ostheer mortar has 9 scatter angle and 7 max scatter distance. USF mortar has 10 scatter angle and 8 max scatter distance. Same scatter values when autofiring.

- AoE distance is 0,75/1,5/3 for USF mortar and 1/2/3 for Ostheer mortar.

- Max range of is 75 for USF mortar and 80 for Ostheer mortar.

- Teardown is 2 for USF mortar and 1,9 for Ostheer mortar ( :foreveralone: ). Setup time is the same.

- Ostheer mortar gets counterbarrage at vet 1 that provides +25% range and -1,25 second reload time (compared to barrage) between shots. USF mortar gets.. -25% smoke barrage cooldown.
29 Oct 2019, 18:03 PM

u have a tier 0 mortar, use it

I have already tried. NEXT!
29 Oct 2019, 18:15 PM

Get 50 cals and attack move the MG42. Should win if you're in equal cover.
29 Oct 2019, 18:23 PM

Get 50 cals and attack move the MG42. Should win if you're in equal cover.

After 2-3 munites ostheer gain map control until i hit 50 cal. When i get a 50 call they are just spamming bunkers. For dealing bunkers i get a at gun. But he get a werfer and game over. Sooo

29 Oct 2019, 18:38 PM

After 2-3 munites ostheer gain map control until i hit 50 cal. When i get a 50 call they are just spamming bunkers. For dealing bunkers i get a at gun. But he get a werfer and game over. Sooo

Your issues have nothing to do with mgs being uncounterable, you just run into better players.
29 Oct 2019, 18:53 PM

Your issues have nothing to do with mgs being uncounterable, you just run into better players.

Aganist okw i am fine. But uncounterable mg42 wunderwaffes seems very efective aganist all usf builds expect jeeps. For ostheer jeeps are easy prey when they got schreck on pgreens. They can even chase jeeps with halftracks loaded with pgreens with schreck

29 Oct 2019, 19:46 PM

Aganist okw i am fine. But uncounterable mg42 wunderwaffes seems very efective aganist all usf builds expect jeeps. For ostheer jeeps are easy prey when they got schreck on pgreens. They can even chase jeeps with halftracks loaded with pgreens with schreck

WC51, Pathfinders, IR Pathfinders, Mortar, Smoke grenades, regular grenades, M20, Stuart, Pak Howitzer, Greyhound, Smoke Bombs from heavy Cav.

Complaining about not being able to counter a MG as USF is very weird considering they are the faction with the most tools to counter them.
30 Oct 2019, 00:21 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Upload a replay.

Define spam.

30 Oct 2019, 08:17 AM

Upload a replay.

Define spam.

Best reply.
30 Oct 2019, 08:55 AM

Either upload a replay like ppl here suggest (from what you describe ostheer players do in your matches it seems a must) or play as ostheer because this is the best way to learn their weaknesses. Every time you hit a moment in this game when you stop advancing ladder you should change a faction you play with to the opposite side. After you reach the same level with the new faction from the opposite side, you can come back to your favourite faction and you'll see how much more easily you defeat players who use the army that you just played with.
30 Oct 2019, 16:14 PM

Permanently Banned
Original poster has a cancerous attitude and doesn't wanna hear your advice. Where's his playercard?
30 Oct 2019, 17:16 PM

Original poster has a cancerous attitude and doesn't wanna hear your advice. Where's his playercard?

All too easy

https://www.coh2.org/ladders/playercard/steamid/76561198070905561
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight