Login

russian armor

Maxim Overperforming

PAGES (7)down
15 Sep 2019, 15:58 PM

To be fair, im pointing mg42 because imo allies units get some buff while retaining their speciality flavor yet again.

People will say maxim/vickers are mg that cant suppress like mg should.

I say mg42 cant handle vetted allies blob like mg should.
15 Sep 2019, 16:58 PM

Sorry you can't frontally charge a maxim with a blob with 1 active braincell anymore.
15 Sep 2019, 17:22 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Sep 2019, 15:58 PMmrgame2
To be fair, im pointing mg42 because imo allies units get some buff while retaining their speciality flavor yet again.

You would be wrong in saying that though. Mg42 is literally the best at stopping blobs. If it's properly positioned nothing will get through.
15 Sep 2019, 18:06 PM

Can we get back to the maxim

There isn't really much of an actual discussion. The OP and others are claiming the maxim needs nerfing and implying that it is better than a MG42, which they think needs buffs.

For those of us that actually use the maxim, I think we would all say that the firing cone is too small given the nerfs to the setup time so it needs at least one of those two things improved. It sill doesn't do its job well. It's a little better and I'm glad the Balance team looked at it, but still think it needs a buff (without going so far that people start using them instead of infantry again).

Also, it used to win head-to-head against the MG42. Now it does sometimes but more often not, and if the MG42 has incendiary rounds then it will just melt the maxim.

On top of it all, the MG that doesn't work well costs more, which just rubs salt into the wound. OP and others will say it should cost more because of the six man squad, which is like saying we should pay more because we enjoy watching the death-loop on retreat.
15 Sep 2019, 18:38 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Sep 2019, 18:06 PMGrumpy

There isn't really much of an actual discussion. The OP and others are claiming the maxim needs nerfing and implying that it is better than a MG42, which they think needs buffs.

For those of us that actually use the maxim, I think we would all say that the firing cone is too small given the nerfs to the setup time so it needs at least one of those two things improved. It sill doesn't do its job well. It's a little better and I'm glad the Balance team looked at it, but still think it needs a buff (without going so far that people start using them instead of infantry again).

Also, it used to win head-to-head against the MG42. Now it does sometimes but more often not, and if the MG42 has incendiary rounds then it will just melt the maxim.

On top of it all, the MG that doesn't work well costs more, which just rubs salt into the wound. OP and others will say it should cost more because of the six man squad, which is like saying we should pay more because we enjoy watching the death-loop on retreat.

maxim ain't great I know. And I know that OP may not be the pinacle of skill like many other forum goers, :banana: but somehow getting to the bundle grenade and rifle grenade in a maxim thread is a bit of a tangent. At least in offtopic posts make some connection to the OP.

As far as the maxim currently goes, it's basically just an SoL situation. Which would you rather have, a medicore MG that can barely scrap by as an MG, or fighting against MG spam which you have little hope of countering. And when I say little hope of countering, I mean OKW. Maxim spam is still very much an OKW headache on specific maps like crossing in the woods where flanking is virtually impossible. OST at least has a t1 mortar that can help deal with it, but I'm sure it still wasn't fun for them. OKW is exactly how they were back in those days except that now the LeIG has smoke. Unfortunatly the LeIG is still in the subpar tier and OKWs teching is still problematic. Maybe if we changed the LeIG profile to that of a mortar instead of a model killing sniper it'd work better vs the 6 man maxim.
15 Sep 2019, 19:36 PM

Lol wut

Maxims still shit
15 Sep 2019, 19:55 PM

maxim ain't great I know. And I know that OP may not be the pinacle of skill like many other forum goers, :banana: but somehow getting to the bundle grenade and rifle grenade in a maxim thread is a bit of a tangent. At least in offtopic posts make some connection to the OP.

As far as the maxim currently goes, it's basically just an SoL situation. Which would you rather have, a medicore MG that can barely scrap by as an MG, or fighting against MG spam which you have little hope of countering. And when I say little hope of countering, I mean OKW. Maxim spam is still very much an OKW headache on specific maps like crossing in the woods where flanking is virtually impossible. OST at least has a t1 mortar that can help deal with it, but I'm sure it still wasn't fun for them. OKW is exactly how they were back in those days except that now the LeIG has smoke. Unfortunatly the LeIG is still in the subpar tier and OKWs teching is still problematic. Maybe if we changed the LeIG profile to that of a mortar instead of a model killing sniper it'd work better vs the 6 man maxim.

disagree here... okw has the best time against the maxim as it can barely suppress a single volk heading straight for it... when i play okw and i see a maxim spam i usually smile with glee because i know im very much likely to win the game and get +5 fuel for every maxim the opponent has made
15 Sep 2019, 19:55 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Sep 2019, 15:58 PMmrgame2

it does if you l2p
15 Sep 2019, 20:24 PM

... Which would you rather have, a medicore MG that can barely scrap by as an MG, or fighting against MG spam which you have little hope of countering. And when I say little hope of countering, I mean OKW. .

This question is probably why the balance team didn't do more with the maxim. On the other hand, that same matchup on Crossing isn't fun for Soviet versus Ost. It gets really frustrating using Oorah to try to get past the MG42's firing cone, only to have one model not make it and the squad get suppressed, then have to retreat as the Pio closes.

As for your comments on the LEIG, it probably would do better against Soviets if it had a mortar AOE profile. Normally I find them to be garbage unless I get two, so now I always double them up. I play a lot of Soviets and find that double LEIG's make it hard to keep maxims on the field, and trying to keep them longer often results in getting them wiped.

I do think fear of Maxim spam is a bit overdone. Late game they bleed too much and the abundance of yellow cover means they get grenaded a lot. I normally get two but might or might not replace them if I lose them.
15 Sep 2019, 20:31 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Sep 2019, 19:55 PMgbem

disagree here... okw has the best time against the maxim as it can barely suppress a single volk heading straight for it... when i play okw and i see a maxim spam i usually smile with glee because i know im very much likely to win the game and get +5 fuel for every maxim the opponent has made

The glaring weakness behind maxim spam being that they never have enough manpower to get maxims and cons with AT grenades and an anti-tank gun, so getting a Luchs is a no-brainer. It does sometimes feel like just deserts when the single con throws his AT grenade, then sits there until he/she realizes that they will lose the con before the cooldown is done, then ends up full retreating or losing their weapons. It's even better if they just get an AT gun as it is easy to dive and worth capturing.
15 Sep 2019, 21:56 PM

I'd rather the maxim be good enough to do its job and priced accordingly so that it isnt feasible to spam them and cons be in a position that they can make up the lost map control via numbers.

T1 set up is about replacing cons, t2 should be about supporting them, maybe some sort of mutual buff for the maxim and cons being near each other?
16 Sep 2019, 00:33 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Sep 2019, 19:55 PMgbem

I so much wanted to insert a pic of either doc evil or agent smith,s evil laugh. Representing okw. But i am on my phone and it wont bite. Allas.
16 Sep 2019, 03:27 AM

You spelled MG42 wrong. That things been fking broken since day 1 and there is apparently no desire from anyone to fix it.
16 Sep 2019, 05:16 AM

Obvious bait thread is obvious. The only thing maxim overperforms at compared to other MGs is getting deathlooped by blobs
16 Sep 2019, 05:58 AM

After looking SturmPanthers stream yesterdays: where they wasnt able to cap the fuel point for 10minutes: Maxims works good.

16 Sep 2019, 06:34 AM

After looking SturmPanthers stream yesterdays: where they wasnt able to cap the fuel point for 10minutes: Maxims works good.

Can we nerf the mg42 to maxim standards so you can shut up about it you noob?
16 Sep 2019, 07:36 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Sep 2019, 06:34 AMgbem

Can we nerf the mg42 to maxim standards so you can shut up about it you noob?

Cant u read..or cant understand what u read? or both? i said: i watched Sturmpanthers stream..not my own. So flame sturmpanther as noob...Oo
16 Sep 2019, 07:44 AM

Cant u read..or cant understand what u read? or both? i said: i watched Sturmpanthers stream..not my own. So flame sturmpanther as noob...Oo

Just because he wasnt able to take a position for 10min doesnt mean that the maxim is good... youre ignoring other factors that may be at play here

In any case if you think the maxim is fine then i propose we nerf the mg42 to maxim standards... do you think that is a fair proposition?
16 Sep 2019, 07:49 AM

Or watch helpinghans and devm tag team the maxim.
The way some of you put it as if maxim cant suppress one bit. When others point out mg42 weak reposition times suspect to allies stronger infantry flanks, it is l2p.

How about those maximers l2p to make use of maxim fast reposition, high damages and higher model survival. Watch helpinghans play soviet maxim
PAGES (7)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 10
unknown 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak