Login

russian armor

Thoughts on OKWs Flak Half Track

PAGES (7)down
8 Sep 2019, 02:23 AM

OKW AAHT was effectively used by and against top players, so if you're complaining about it, problem is somewhere between chair and a keyboard.

Alright so apparently whenever a select few of the already very small population of top players decides to use a unit that means it's perfectly balanced and cannot be underpowered. So, by this awful logic, that must also mean that no unit can be over powered provided that a handful of top players don't use it.
8 Sep 2019, 09:12 AM

Alright so apparently whenever a select few of the already very small population of top players decides to use a unit that means it's perfectly balanced and cannot be underpowered. So, by this awful logic, that must also mean that no unit can be over powered provided that a handful of top players don't use it.

I'm not talking about top players doing meme strats against scrubs, I'm talking about its use on competitive level.

If tops use it against tops, then its not underpowered.
At absolutely worst, its overshadowed by mechanized.
8 Sep 2019, 13:24 PM

I'm not talking about top players doing meme strats against scrubs, I'm talking about its use on competitive level.

If tops use it against tops, then its not underpowered.
At absolutely worst, its overshadowed by mechanized.

Once again that doesn't work as a gauge of a units balance, at all. It assumes that all top players involved have equal skill level and that the OKW player didn't win because of numerous other factors including better use of his units. A better player will always have the advantage even with subpar units.

And of course we should never make definitive balance statements based off of a few uses of a unit by a tiny number of players.
8 Sep 2019, 13:47 PM

Once again that doesn't work as a gauge of a units balance, at all. It assumes that all top players involved have equal skill level and that the OKW player didn't win because of numerous other factors including better use of his units.

Not really sure what you're trying to say here.
If win was assured by a specific unit, then that's a testamtent to that units being overpowered to the point of overshadowing these other factors.
Unit should be just another factor, not a reason for win.

A better player will always have the advantage even with subpar units.

Not against other better player.
Even top players don't use conscripts outside of heavily doctrine supported builds. If your theory was true, conscripts would be competitive, but they aren't.
AAHT is, but current meta dictates the use of P2+Puma combo, which as I have said already, overshadows AAHT alone.

And of course we should never make definitive balance statements based off of a few uses of a unit by a tiny number of players.

Ofc we shouldn't, but do we have any proof that there is anything wrong with AAHT outside of (giving massive credit to the OP and supporters) average players at best claims?

While good artisan will craft well with bad tools too, a bad artisan will still fail even with pristine high quality tools.
8 Sep 2019, 15:17 PM

Not really sure what you're trying to say here.
If win was assured by a specific unit, then that's a testamtent to that units being overpowered to the point of overshadowing these other factors.
Unit should be just another factor, not a reason for win.

Not against other better player.
Even top players don't use conscripts outside of heavily doctrine supported builds. If your theory was true, conscripts would be competitive, but they aren't.
AAHT is, but current meta dictates the use of P2+Puma combo, which as I have said already, overshadows AAHT alone.

Ofc we shouldn't, but do we have any proof that there is anything wrong with AAHT outside of (giving massive credit to the OP and supporters) average players at best claims?

While good artisan will craft well with bad tools too, a bad artisan will still fail even with pristine high quality tools.

My point is that there are always multiple reasons for why a player wins a match, like you said, a unit is just another factor so the fact that somebody won using an AA halftrack doesn't mean it's a good unit, it means that the person using it knew what they were doing and had many other units at there disposal which they also used effectively.

I wasn't using the term "better player" to refer to top players, I was using it in it's literal sense. If two top level players play a match, the better player between the two is likely to win, sometimes even if they use a subpar unit.

No Conscripts wouldn't be competitive with my "theory" because conscripts are underpowered, however something being underpowered doesn't mean that they can't sometimes see some success when they are used by a very good player against a slightly worse or unlucky player.

For what reason do you think that mechanized builds are meta and are the more viable option between the two trucks? Shouldn't that mean that Battlegroupe is somewhat underpowered? After all, Battlegroupe is cheaper, comes earlier, gives access to medics, and gets you to T3 faster, so there must be something wrong if people want to go so far out of there way just to get a P2 or Puma.

I see it a lot like Soviet T2, it's a far less popular and successful tier because it has underpowered units (Maxim/AA Halftrack) and mediocre units (Soviet mortar/LeiG) and there is a much more effective alternative in the form of T1 for Soviets. Both factions have an effective tier and a largely ineffective tier.

Do you have any evidence that the people making these arguments are average at best, or is that just convenient for your argument?
10 Sep 2019, 10:03 AM

My point is that there are always multiple reasons for why a player wins a match, like you said, a unit is just another factor so the fact that somebody won using an AA halftrack doesn't mean it's a good unit, it means that the person using it knew what they were doing and had many other units at there disposal which they also used effectively.

I wasn't using the term "better player" to refer to top players, I was using it in it's literal sense. If two top level players play a match, the better player between the two is likely to win, sometimes even if they use a subpar unit.

No Conscripts wouldn't be competitive with my "theory" because conscripts are underpowered, however something being underpowered doesn't mean that they can't sometimes see some success when they are used by a very good player against a slightly worse or unlucky player.

For what reason do you think that mechanized builds are meta and are the more viable option between the two trucks? Shouldn't that mean that Battlegroupe is somewhat underpowered? After all, Battlegroupe is cheaper, comes earlier, gives access to medics, and gets you to T3 faster, so there must be something wrong if people want to go so far out of there way just to get a P2 or Puma.

I see it a lot like Soviet T2, it's a far less popular and successful tier because it has underpowered units (Maxim/AA Halftrack) and mediocre units (Soviet mortar/LeiG) and there is a much more effective alternative in the form of T1 for Soviets. Both factions have an effective tier and a largely ineffective tier.

Do you have any evidence that the people making these arguments are average at best, or is that just convenient for your argument?

It is pretty true that a top player does not determine the quality of a unit or to even to avert it to something that is actually under-powered to being simply fine.

Another fact that you have covered was the fact that both SU and OKW share a similiar situation which is one of their bases being ineffective because of the units in particular.

SU with their Maxim
OKW with their Flak Half Track

Both share a deal of problems and they should be fixed to point where they are actually made viable.

Currently FHT is very situational, depends a lot on what the enemy is using. Most of the time, if the Allied player uses anything with AT lights and infantry of sorts, it is simply screwed. Like having an SU M3A1 Scour Car with on top Penals equipped with PTRS. Just prone to many and other things also. Even firearms does enough damage to scare it off.

FHT suffers a huge deathloop also.

10 Sep 2019, 10:47 AM

Another fact that you have covered was the fact that both SU and OKW share a similiar situation which is one of their bases being ineffective because of the units in particular.

SU with their Maxim
OKW with their Flak Half Track

That analogy is completely inaccurate.
Soviet T1 doesn't overshadow T2.
Getting maxim is simply shooting yourself in foot and cons are mainline infantry without any backbone, therefore they can't carry themselves, not to mention other units without dedicating doctrine to them.

Currently FHT is very situational, depends a lot on what the enemy is using. Most of the time, if the Allied player uses anything with AT lights and infantry of sorts, it is simply screwed. Like having an SU M3A1 Scour Car with on top Penals equipped with PTRS. Just prone to many and other things also. Even firearms does enough damage to scare it off.

By that logic, use of any kind of armor is very situational, because anti tank guns exist and use of infantry is very situational, because of HMGs.
Overextending and not having enough awareness aren't balance issues.

The fuck you're talking about?
It does not even have pack up time anymore for years now and you clearly have no idea what a deathloop is, you don't have a line of halftrucks exploding one after another when trying to pick the flak from the ground.

10 Sep 2019, 11:21 AM

FHT is very useful vs SOV T1 and somewhat against USF LT openings. LVs are not a reliable way of dealing with it due to raks around it and volks with snares. This makes any LV assault very risky. Proper way of getting rid of enemy FHT is with an AT gun, then the smoke pops up and the truck goes somewhere else to repair. Building an AT gun for SOV T1 early is painful currently because of 160MP+20FU+320MP cost and time spent teching + building. USF that goes LT first for .50 HMG (very useful vs volks) will have to unlock CPT or go for airborne doc to have AT gun access. This is why as USF I prefer to build CPT first and then use his skill to quickly produce LT right after that to have both access to HMG and AT gun early vs OKW.

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Sep 2019, 10:47 AMKatitof

The fuck you're talking about?
It does not even have pack up time anymore for years now and you clearly have no idea what a deathloop is, you don't have a line of halftrucks exploding one after another when trying to pick the flak from the ground.

FHT deathloop made my day :D
10 Sep 2019, 12:10 PM

FHT deathloop = Pressing smoke + giving move order. That's too much, should be all in one button. Like Commando retreat for example.

Not sure why none of you understands it. It's pretty obvious what "BALANCED_Gamer" is talking about. It's not like he could be biased with a name like that right?
10 Sep 2019, 12:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Sep 2019, 22:16 PMJilet

At least bunkers don't have the "you can hit me but you can't hurt me" button. If they remove the brace BS from emplacements it is fine even if they give them x10 damage of the current ones.

Tip: waiting for brace to end before hit the emplacement again, it only last 10 seconds. I know you are really in a hurry to keep blobbing but please have at least a bit of patient.
10 Sep 2019, 13:12 PM

What I mean it by dying so frequently is due to the very fact it is prone to being killed by many factors even harmed by small things.

If we take an example of m20 utility car which is cheaper, sure its vulnerable but its definitely more efficient.

If we test m20 vs FHT, m20 wins cuz its maneuverable its gun does quite a pack against FHT armour and you can get outside the vehicle to pack an even bigger punch with the bazooka equipped with the crew.

Something which FHT lacks in all areas which M20 has better been attributed. Kills infantry better and does better against lights. FHT cant even do that at all!

Even then, FHT requires you in so many occassions to repair. Similar in that way with the Kubel. That is why it is not any good either.

Output in terms of damage is meager, repairs are often, vulnerability is high in many if not in most situations.

It is simply not worth the cost at all since it is too high for its meager output. Similar in contrast as I was referring to Maxim.

Instead of reinforcing, much time is spent repairing for that little output.
10 Sep 2019, 14:32 PM

You are not wrong when you are saying the Flak HT is not good enough currently but why the M20 comparison? It makes no sense. It would be easier for you to get people to agree with your opinions if you didn't exaggerate so much.

Flak HT is still strong against Soviet T1 builds by the way. It's also ok against USF LT if you keep it supported and the USF player has no doctrine with air-dropped AT-guns.

I feel like the Flak HT has the same problem many OKW units suffer from. Everything outside 4 Volks into Mech into Command Panther is just not viable if your first priority is winning. That's probably also why OKW is going to be pretty bad after the next update. Slower start + no more call-in Panther will make OKW worse than Ostheer in 2v2+ IMO.
10 Sep 2019, 14:47 PM

Tip: waiting for brace to end before hit the emplacement again, it only last 10 seconds. I know you are really in a hurry to keep blobbing but please have at least a bit of patient.

Who said I am blobbing ? Dude...

Brace ability is what makes brit emplacements cancer nothing else. If I am putting on a 10 second or less arti barrage it is completely safe. Note that many precision barrages are less than 10 seconds.
10 Sep 2019, 17:33 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Sep 2019, 10:47 AMKatitof

That analogy is completely inaccurate.
Soviet T1 doesn't overshadow T2.
Getting maxim is simply shooting yourself in foot and cons are mainline infantry without any backbone, therefore they can't carry themselves, not to mention other units without dedicating doctrine to them.

The analogy isn't inaccurate at all, it just doesn't fully apply to the current meta because cons are awful. If cons were a viable option then T1 would still be a far better option than T2.

Cons being good wouldn't stop the fact that the Maxim is bad and doesn't perform it's job as a machine gun because of bad suppression, small range of fire, and the deathloop. Penals would still be very useful and of course there's the clown car so Soviet T1 is most certainly better and does overshadow T2 and it still would even if Cons were good.
10 Sep 2019, 18:25 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Sep 2019, 14:47 PMJilet

Brace ability is what makes brit emplacements cancer nothing else. If I am putting on a 10 second or less arti barrage it is completely safe. Note that many precision barrages are less than 10 seconds.

If all you use to destroy an emplacement are IDF barrages, I think I found your problem.
10 Sep 2019, 18:50 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Sep 2019, 14:47 PMJilet

You actualy got the point. Brace is there so you cant 1 click delete any emplacement.

I will take back what i said about you blobbing (an other overreact by me, sorry)
But i have to ask, Is it that difficult to get 2 ig or mortar and set them barrage after each other ?
10 Sep 2019, 18:51 PM

You actualy got the point. Brace is there so you cant 1 click delete any emplacement, since they cant retreat.

I will take back what i said about you blobbing (an other overreact by me, sorry)
But i have to ask, Is it that difficult to get 2 ig or mortar and set them barrage after each other ?
10 Sep 2019, 18:58 PM

You actualy got the point. Brace is there so you cant 1 click delete any emplacement.

No it is not that difficult especially with the current raketen outranging the bofors but the time and investment needed to take out the bofors was higher than the bofors' cost. That was my point my man.
10 Sep 2019, 18:59 PM

If all you use to destroy an emplacement are IDF barrages, I think I found your problem.

The problem was raketen having almost the same range as Bofors for OKW. It was not a problem for OST but OKW was having hard times against well placed Bofors'.
10 Sep 2019, 19:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Sep 2019, 18:58 PMJilet

No it is not that difficult especially with the current raketen outranging the bofors but the time and investment needed to take out the bofors was higher than the bofors' cost. That was my point my man.

I got your point. But with the new patch which just come live, i thing we can both be happy and move on. You have more mean to counter bofor with new rak. I have reliable suppression with the new bofor without deleting squad.
PAGES (7)down
2 users are browsing this thread: 2 guests

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS