Login

russian armor

KW-1 needs a closer look

27 Jul 2019, 02:43 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jul 2019, 01:35 AMKirrik
Buffing it's MG is nice and all but it wont make much of difference in the end cosndering it's cost

What it really needs is smoke, it has very hard time disengaging from P4 and Panther and even shreckblobs if they get close.

Then make it so they don't close. It's already got a huge health pool it doesn't need EZ mode escape too. Everyone wants every damn unit to hold your hand so you don't lose them. What's next? Immunity when fighting in friendly territory? How about the enemy just auto surrenders after 5 minutes so we don't even have to worry about microing ANY of our army away from its counters?
27 Jul 2019, 03:10 AM

Then make it so they don't close. It's already got a huge health pool it doesn't need EZ mode escape too. Everyone wants every damn unit to hold your hand so you don't lose them. What's next? Immunity when fighting in friendly territory? How about the enemy just auto surrenders after 5 minutes so we don't even have to worry about microing ANY of our army away from its counters?

You're whining about reducing micro tax and increasing survivability of one of the worst tanks in the game while panzer tactician and blitz exist?

Also KV-1 "huge" healthpool is 40 HP above Panther which is better heavy in every way beside AI (which roughly equal to KV thanks to triple MG's)
27 Jul 2019, 04:00 AM

Does the KV1 shoot the hull MG too? or just the coax?
27 Jul 2019, 04:11 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jul 2019, 03:10 AMKirrik

You're whining about reducing micro tax and inreasing survivability of one of the worst tanks in the game while panzer tactician and blitz exist?

Also KV-1 "huge" healthpool is 40 HP above Panther which is better heavy in every way beside AI (which roughly equal to KV thanks to triple MG's)

Blitz and panzer tac are issues, so let's add more! Great logic there champ. Fantastic even!
The kvs job is durability, it has that in droves, even if you don't have what it takes to make use of it.

Treat it like a heavy t34, not a shock tank. If you are being swarmed by panthers and p4s and shreks then that's on you, not the need for an "I'm not really good enough to micro my tanks so save me" button
27 Jul 2019, 06:18 AM

Makes no sense. KV1´s sole job is to to soak damage while Panzer Tactician and Blitz can be used on all Ostheer tanks. Even fast offensive ones like Panthers.
27 Jul 2019, 06:18 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jul 2019, 04:00 AMArclyte
Does the KV1 shoot the hull MG too? or just the coax?

Hull, coax and back of turret.
27 Jul 2019, 06:21 AM

Makes no sense. KV1´s sole job is to to soak damage while Panzer Tactician and Blitz can be used on all Ostheer tanks. Even fast offensive ones like Panthers.

What ostheer tanks can do is irrelevant.
USF infantry can double equip does that mean grens need 2 lmg42s? Or AR we dealing with different factions here?
27 Jul 2019, 06:28 AM

What ostheer tanks can do is irrelevant.
USF infantry can double equip does that mean grens need 2 lmg42s? Or AR we dealing with different factions here?

Weird. Why is it then that Riflemen can only equip one LMG? If it doesn´t matter what other factions have then this should be totally fine right? Oh wait, there is this thing called balance. Maybe you read about it.

KV1 right now is a useless piece of shit that is never used in any sort of serious game. But yes, it´s fine. Let´s not buff it because having useless units in a game makes a ton of sense.

27 Jul 2019, 07:06 AM

Weird. Why is it then that Riflemen can only equip one LMG? If it doesn´t matter what other factions have then this should be totally fine right? Oh wait, there is this thing called balance. Maybe you read about it.

KV1 right now is a useless piece of shit that is never used in any sort of serious game. But yes, it´s fine. Let´s not buff it because having useless units in a game makes a ton of sense.

I didn't say it wouldn't benifit from a buff, but saying "but X faction can..." is shitty reasoning.
One might argue that it's OK for ost armor to have more leeway for saving the unit because their infantry lack that luxury, not a trait that Soviet have in common with them.
There isn't a good God damn reason in hell the kv needs smoke. It'll just make it cheesy to appease those that can't keep a bloody quick, highly armored, high health pool tank alive and reduce the value of micro/skil based play to help those that can't actually play not improve.
27 Jul 2019, 07:23 AM

I didn't say it wouldn't benifit from a buff, but saying "but X faction can..." is shitty reasoning.
One might argue that it's OK for ost armor to have more leeway for saving the unit because their infantry lack that luxury, not a trait that Soviet have in common with them.
There isn't a good God damn reason in hell the kv needs smoke. It'll just make it cheesy to appease those that can't keep a bloody quick, highly armored, high health pool tank alive and reduce the value of micro/skil based play to help those that can't actually play not improve.

Are you seriously calling the KV1 a quick tank? Holy fuck.
27 Jul 2019, 07:25 AM

Its fastest heavy in game.
Ironically.
Given it was hard to find a slower tank.
27 Jul 2019, 09:08 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jul 2019, 07:25 AMKatitof

Its fastest heavy in game.
Ironically.
Given it was hard to find a slower tank.

If I want to be nit picking, that's not true. The Tiger is 0,1 m/s faster, although it has slower acceleration.

Now, non-nit picking:
If you call the KV-1 a heavy (which there are arguments for), the Panther and Comet are heavies, too. And they're both way faster than the KV-1.

27 Jul 2019, 09:41 AM

Its certainly not slow. Have you seen the Churchill for example?
The kv-1 is quite quick given its durability and price point.
It'll 1v1 anything below a panther with ease, and even a panther it can be of use if supported.
27 Jul 2019, 10:19 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

It'll 1v1 anything below a panther with ease, and even a panther it can be of use if supported.

Not quite. Economy wise, the KV-1 is no better than the Axis P4s (slightly better than OST, a bit worse than OKW, both cost-corrected) in tank on tank warfare if you compare a fight between KV-1/P4. I mean that would be alright, but it lacks in other compartments like mobility and AI as well as utility (P4s get at least Blitzkrieg and can doctrinally get smoke). Also, the KV-1 performs worse against high-armor tanks due to lower penetration, while P4s can "better" fight high armor vehicles.

So basically, the KV-1 is economically balanced if you use it to fight mediums. If you need it to do something else, buy something else.

More specifically to your post:
1. You can almost always find a slower tank. That does not mean the not so slow tank is "quick". The KV1 is neither slow nor quick, but lies somewhere in between mediums and real heavies, which is fine.
2. Tanks with similar durabilities (e.g. Pershing and Comet) are faster than the KV-1. Even Tiger is (a tiny bit) faster. Costs is not a good determinant for speed.
3. See the main post. Only true if you do not consider the costs of the respective units.
27 Jul 2019, 11:01 AM

The churchill plays in a complete other league: 3 hits more to kill, more AI damage, more penetration, grenade throw, smoke, better vet (+special repair engineers with Churchills anvil tactics) (+doctrinal self repair) -> not even a close one

Speaking of durability ts basically a panther with way less speed/accleration. Speed is durability too, so it has less durability in combat situatios. In addition it has not even half its penetration, worse accuracy, 10 cannon range less and no utility abilities (panther has very strong doctrinal utility ablities at least) for 4 population and 40 fuel less. Thats a joke.

Thats not true: JPIV and even a single cheap StuG III G will kite it to death, because of greater speed and weapon range. But you get more than 1 StuG for a KW-1 of course.
And please don't talk about that panther thing. Yeah it can be of use if supported, but a scissor can be of use too if I want to have my lawn cut. I hope I have a lawnmower as a support tool. KW-1 has 4 population left for support vs Panther. I wonder what you'll get for that to make that difference between Panther taking 10 shots to kill KW-1 and KW-1 taking 20 shots to kill Panther at long range. Of course we have to ignore the fact that Panther has greater speed + range so that KW-1 will have a hard time to hit it at all.
27 Jul 2019, 11:15 AM

Churchill has more acceleration but less top speed.

KV1 cant 1v1 ANYTHING. If you lose a tank to a KV1 you played like complete shit. Sure it beats a P4 if you go AFK and let them slug it out for 10 minutes but what´s the point? In a real game this situation doesn`t happen.
27 Jul 2019, 12:28 PM

Churchill has more acceleration but less top speed.

KV1 cant 1v1 ANYTHING. If you lose a tank to a KV1 you played like complete shit. Sure it beats a P4 if you go AFK and let them slug it out for 10 minutes but what´s the point? In a real game this situation doesn`t happen.
false the kv 1 will beta a p4 it has 1000 hit points so 3 more shoot and 90 more armor, even if the p 4 fight from the rear it has 165 armor but it would show the rear to kv 1 so it beat it even more easly
27 Jul 2019, 12:36 PM

false the kv 1 will beta a p4 it has 1000 hit points so 3 more shoot and 90 more armor, even if the p 4 fight from the rear it has 165 armor but it would show the rear to kv 1 so it beat it even more easly

You misread his point. He said that a KV-1 would beat a PZIV if you do nothing and let them fight frontally. His point was that the PZIV picks the fight because of acc/speed and wouldn't wait until it is destroyed. If you are playing more smart you could even hop in from the flanks get a shot off and withdraw if there is an opportunity to do that.
27 Jul 2019, 12:59 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

KV1 has 800 health with 10% damage reduction if I'm not mistaken. That makes it 889 effective health or 6 shots to kill (5 shots plus snare is not sufficient). At this point I have to correct myself, since I forgot to account for the unique damage reduction.

At range 40 KV1 needs 11,7 hitting shots to kill an OKW P4 and 9,0 hits to kill OST P4, while both P4s need 14,73 (all pen corrected). Accuracy is similar on both with the KV1 being hit slightly more often due to higher target size. Not sure about the scatters though. Close ranges favor the KV1 more than the P4s.
Reload times are pretty much the same, not sure about other factors, since ROF is pretty complicated to calculate.
27 Jul 2019, 13:03 PM

KV1 has 800 health with 10% damage reduction if I'm not mistaken. That makes it 889 effective health or 6 shots to kill (5 shots plus snare is not sufficient). At this point I have to correct myself, since I forgot to account for the unique damage reduction.

At range 40 KV1 needs 11,7 hitting shots to kill an OKW P4 and 9,0 hits to kill OST P4, while both P4s need 14,73 (all pen corrected). Accuracy is similar on both with the KV1 being hit slightly more often due to higher target size. Not sure about the scatters though. Close ranges favor the KV1 more than the P4s.
Reload times are pretty much the same, not sure about other factors, since ROF is pretty complicated to calculate.
20 % not 10 it has 0.8 reduced damage

To give the KV-1 a more defined role as a breakthrough unit, we are slightly increasing its durability, and significantly increasing the rate at which it can get repaired. The following changes will result in KV-1’s being 25% faster to repair.

Now has a 0.8 received damage modifier
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 48
Korea, Republic Of 6

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak