Login

russian armor

M36 Jackson

PAGES (18)down
5 Jun 2019, 16:26 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Jun 2019, 16:09 PMLago

If your opponent does absolutely nothing to protect the rear of their vehicles then sure, I guess?

You've got to assume a decent level of skill when discussing balance.

It is really not hard to pen the rear in the chaos of better, since "rear" is 50% of the tank hit box...
5 Jun 2019, 16:38 PM

It is really not hard to pen the rear in the chaos of better, since "rear" is 50% of the tank hit box...

Build exclusively Shermans against a decent player building Panthers and tell me how it goes for you.
5 Jun 2019, 16:42 PM

Sherman T34 train seems to work more effective since Panther armor got dropped to sure pen from "rear". I will say it is close, i guess you can get 4 med tanks against 2 panthers without looking at the acutal resources requirement.
5 Jun 2019, 16:42 PM

No. Nerf this unit and see USF tumble into nothingness again.
5 Jun 2019, 16:52 PM

as long as its dmg, pen and range is not touched, some nerfs would be fine
5 Jun 2019, 17:23 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Jun 2019, 14:42 PMLago
So I've been comparing the three Allied tank destroyers.

The Firefly's got the lowest damage output thanks to its awful reload, but good burst damage. It's also got a medium tank's armour and Tulips if you're willing to feed its ravenous hunger for munitions. It has a turret but it turns slowwwwwwwwwwwwly...

The SU-85 is a casemate, which means it's a slow lumbering beast in desperate need of protection. It's got a better damage output than the Firefly and can self spot. It's also got better penetration than the Firefly and it's cheaper.

Between these two I can see the tradeoff. The SU-85 is cheaper and puts out more damage faster, but the Firefly is more independent.

Then we come to the Jackson.
It's got the price and damage output of the SU-85, the best penetration before you bring in its HVAP ability, good turret rotation and 0.75 moving accuracy. Put all this together and it can roll up to an enemy medium Panther-style and splatter it. The other two can't: the SU-85 gets flanked and the Firefly'll lose because of how long it takes to reload.

I'm fairly sure it used to only have 480 health (three hit kill like a light vehicle), but went up to 640 in DBP.

There's no real contest here: the Jackson is the best of the three in almost every department. It just seems like a better Firefly for less.

What gives? Does it need toning down? Do the other TDs need toning up? Or is it like this to compensate for some factional weakness I'm missing?

Agree. Jackson has no weakness. Just badly designed. The combination of insane penetration, mobility, regular HP and range is just too much.
5 Jun 2019, 17:26 PM

Look at the other AT sources from USF, they got a rubber projectile AT gun that is awesome vs light tanks but trash vs any tank on okw p4 level or higher.... and they have poop bazookas which have a similar behavior like their AT gun. There is a reason why USF has the best standalone TD from the allies.

And please show me how a Jackson wins a 1v1 vs a Panther. When Jacksons were still 480HP, teamgames were pretty annoying on many maps cuz you couldnt stop the panther spam.

Feed the USF at-gun some muni and it becomes the best AT-gun vs any target. And it´s cheaper than Pak40,Zis3 and 6 pounder too. IMO this is not a valid point. Bazookas aren´t overly effective but I don´t see how PIATs or PTRS (unless we are talking Guards PTRS) are any better. So I don´t think this is a fair point either.

I don´t think anyone claimed the Jackson wins 1v1 aganist a Panther. Of course that´s not going to happen.

5 Jun 2019, 17:26 PM

First of all, sorry im late, but this post got me real good.

Look at the other AT sources from USF, they got a rubber projectile AT gun that is awesome vs light tanks but trash vs any tank on okw p4 level or higher.... and they have poop bazookas which have a similar behavior like their AT gun. There is a reason why USF has the best standalone TD from the allies.

LMAO, the "rubber proyectile AT gun" and the "poop bazookas" made my day. Haha.

Its true, USF could use more conventional AT power along the game instead of waiting up until the end to get jacksons. This forces to always stock up fuel in the case of needing to rush for it.

And please show me how a Jackson wins a 1v1 vs a Panther. When Jacksons were still 480HP, teamgames were pretty annoying on many maps cuz you couldnt stop the panther spam.

Panther spam is very annoying, point taken. But also expensive and hardly rushed, specially on OST. That could be hardly compared to a chuirchull spam. But on teamgames is doable.
5 Jun 2019, 17:37 PM

as long as its dmg, pen and range is not touched, some nerfs would be fine

I dont think jackaon need nerf as someone said sherman have more troubles versus panther than panzer versus jackson. Sherman if even flank panther can do shit but if u guys really need nerf something in jackson then nerf his turret speed rotation or max speed and we gut.
And about medium armor for example in team games panzer spam is more viable because how thin jackson armor is on other hand even e8 spam is just bad because how good panther is, medium spam is just suicide versus axis.
Shadowlink try to be funny with his sarcasm but didnt work lol u forgot about your op scott buddy but true is usf dont need any change current balance is ok only wermaht need buffs to infantry and thats it. Now i just wait for patch and new threads because forum is boring right now.
5 Jun 2019, 17:40 PM

This clearly shows that M36 are to be nerfed. If a unit relies so much on a single *not OP* heavy TD then what the rest of the faction for? The last time i saw M10s was when i fielded them and it was quite a while ago.

Now, in a more neutral tone. A faction can have a single tool to deal with tanks/inf/indirect fire. But it shouldnt only depend on it. Thats why there are call-ins, commanders and multiple variations using skills and upgrades. That way the only OP thing is the good player and not the units he commands.

If M36 had to pay for a single, mutually exclusive upgrade. One being better motor and the other being upgunned to almost HVAP levels. That coupled with a moderate nerf (not those triple ban hammer). IMO can be a good start.
5 Jun 2019, 17:43 PM

Feed the USF at-gun some muni and it becomes the best AT-gun vs any target. And it´s cheaper than Pak40,Zis3 and 6 pounder too. IMO this is not a valid point. Bazookas aren´t overly effective but I don´t see how PIATs or PTRS (unless we are talking Guards PTRS) are any better. So I don´t think this is a fair point either.

I don´t think anyone claimed the Jackson wins 1v1 aganist a Panther. Of course that´s not going to happen.

Both valid points. IMO similar skill players, using Panther vs Jackson 1v1 would end just avoiding each other. Maybe trade some shots but when a couple of bounces favours one, that will force a dive-to-kill maneuver.
5 Jun 2019, 17:52 PM

This clearly shows that M36 are to be nerfed. If a unit relies so much on a single *not OP* heavy TD then what the rest of the faction for?
bad design? U maybe dont know that but all faction have minimum 2 non doc AT option for example soviets su76 and su85 one is better versus heavy another versus medium armor. Okw jagpanzer and panther wermaht stug and panther. Brits? Firfly hmm and comet ? This one maybe not exactly. Usf players rely on jackson not because they like it because there is nothing else. Nerf this unit and u will nerf whole usf late game simple
5 Jun 2019, 17:57 PM

bad design? U maybe dont know that but all faction have minimum 2 non doc AT option for example soviets su76 and su85 one is better versus heavy another versus medium armor. Okw jagpanzer and panther wermaht stug and panther. Brits? Firfly hmm and comet ? This one maybe not exactly. Usf players rely on jackson not because they like it because there is nothing else.

The guy said, "nerf m36, USF goes to oblivion". There are no options in between. That drastic point of view is as hurtful as saying that M36 needs buffing.

All factions have power peaks but no balanced factions has to rely on a single unit for it. Take as an example OKW JLI if you wish. That was a good example of a bad balance.
5 Jun 2019, 18:03 PM

I dont think you can nerf its performance too much, but Lago's point about cost efficiency makes plenty of sense.

You can always just increase the cost and not touch the performance. If the US needs the Jackson at its current level, but that level is too good for its current price, that's the way to go.
5 Jun 2019, 18:18 PM

I dont think you can nerf its performance too much, but Lago's point about cost efficiency makes plenty of sense.

You can always just increase the cost and not touch the performance. If the US needs the Jackson at its current level, but that level is too good for its current price, that's the way to go.

Here we both agree, jacksons have an edge with most armour, they have a hard time against panthers (and vice versa) and only superheavy doctrinal tanks displace him (displace, not beat) and it is also relatively cost effective. USF pays a lot for premium mainline inf and it was their tech and lackluster support units the counter weight.
Now USF has been lifted some of those chains. Jacksons mimic the premium TD design and are also cost effective for what they can do. To nerf their cost efficiency seems fit. But i doubt that will fix the issue. Just a little too much nerf and jacksons will have close to no opportunity window and panthers will bully anything. Thats a no-go zone for me.
5 Jun 2019, 18:25 PM

I dont think jackaon need nerf as someone said sherman have more troubles versus panther than panzer versus jackson. Sherman if even flank panther can do shit but if u guys really need nerf something in jackson then nerf his turret speed rotation or max speed and we gut.
And about medium armor for example in team games panzer spam is more viable because how thin jackson armor is on other hand even e8 spam is just bad because how good panther is, medium spam is just suicide versus axis.
Shadowlink try to be funny with his sarcasm but didnt work lol u forgot about your op scott buddy but true is usf dont need any change current balance is ok only wermaht need buffs to infantry and thats it. Now i just wait for patch and new threads because forum is boring right now.

So not true. Even a vet2 panther has only 99 "rear" armour. Though panther can tank 2 more hits, sherman has the same +50% moving accuracy advantage as Jackson over p4 and p5.

Totally viable med tank spams now. Not suicide.

My rough guess 2 panther vs 4 sherman and 3 p4 vs 2 jacksons. Any side can win. But i am sure if allies win, they can get back into battle much faster with free crew repair.

Serious the idea that wehr have superior armour is old as dinosaur now
5 Jun 2019, 18:32 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

Im just going to spoil the idea of what we have brainstormed for the jackson and FF.

-Jackson far pen down: you still get your 60 range jackson and can outrange panthers, but maybe it shouldnt be so reliable at that range...
-Jackson fuel cost up: the jackson is a premium tank destroyer (again, basically the best in the game), but its price doesnt really reflect that. Its the only dedicated AT vehicle usf have, and people argue its high performance is a necessity for usf. So then keep its performance, but at least make sure players have to pay for that performance.

FF cost down: same deal. FF performance is okay, and performs well against heavies relative to the other TDs, but its the most expensive allied TD by a sizeable margin, and thats just not very justifiable. I personally want tulip costs decreased (one of the other things that makes the FF distinct from other TDs besides its damage; sad that theyre too expensive to be practical) but thats not currently in the draft.
5 Jun 2019, 18:35 PM

-Jackson far pen down: you still get your 60 range jackson and can outrange panthers, but maybe it shouldnt be so reliable at that range...
-Jackson fuel cost up: the jackson is a premium tank destroyer (again, basically the best in the game), but its price doesnt really reflect that. Its the only dedicated AT vehicle usf have, and people argue its high performance is a necessity for usf. So then keep its performance, but at least make sure players have to pay for that performance.

Is it one or both of these? Because I feel like nerfing a unit and increasing its cost simultaneously is too much all at once. But it is a case by case basis I suppose
5 Jun 2019, 18:38 PM

Is it one or both of these? Because I feel like nerfing a unit and increasing its cost simultaneously is too much all at once. But it is a case by case basis I suppose

I Think it will do just fine. Far pen for M36 can be compensated with muni invest at least. They also get penn bonus with vet.

I like the firefly mini buff too.
5 Jun 2019, 18:41 PM

make it have 55 range
PAGES (18)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak