Login

russian armor

Rebirth of the Sherman Jumbo idea.

6 May 2019, 19:57 PM

Ladies and Gents, I would like you to meet the Sherman Jumbo:

Made by the brilliant creator of the CoH2 realism mod, Trapper(MM).

And just to clarify, no the pictures are not photoshopped or edited or altered in any way.

The Sherman Jumbo and many others are available in Trapper's CoH2 Realism mod (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=904421369) so you can try it out.

He explained to me that a custom skin was used to "cut" the barrel of the 76mm Sherman.

Similarly one could create other units by "cutting" features from the in-game models via custom skins.

Sadly skins cannot add things to the model of the vehicle, for example making the barrel of the M10 longer to make it the 17 pounder version.

Just want to share this with the community as a last effort for a Jumbo for the USF Urban Assault Company in the place of the bulldozer.
ddd
6 May 2019, 20:04 PM

OK if balance team dont add jumbo to the new commander now they are literally Hitler.

Bump this thread so its always on top, this might be the most important coh2 decision in last few years.

Sherman Jumbo with performance between KV1 and Churchill, new model and new unit type for USF.

Even "first in bastogne" painting, this is perfect, add it.

6 May 2019, 20:17 PM

Just want to share this with the community as a last effort for a Jumbo for the USF Urban Assault Company in the place of the bulldozer.

I love the idea of having a Sherman Jumbo as the USF KV-1/Churchill equivalent. I used to want this instead of the Pershing, but in the end of course the Pershing won.
6 May 2019, 20:17 PM

Well, its a certain "must do", giving USF a Churchill or KV1 clone would create a lot of fun
6 May 2019, 20:20 PM

It would certainly deal with the complaint that Urban Assault Tactics doesn't do anything new.

I still think it should get the Improved Fortifications symbol on it to indicate it's waaay tougher than your average Sherman.
ddd
6 May 2019, 20:36 PM

I have idea for special ability instead of smoke: gains increased rate of fire but gets immobilized, similar to coh1 panzer elite p4.
6 May 2019, 20:39 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 May 2019, 20:36 PMddd
I have idea for special ability instead of smoke: gains increased rate of fire but gets immobilized, similar to coh1 panzer elite p4.

I'd rather smoke. It's a heavy tank.
ddd
6 May 2019, 20:41 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 May 2019, 20:39 PMLago

Yeah but durable tanks with smoke are cancer. Plus its boring that every sherman has the same smoke ability.

The dream would be 75mm with standard barrage, 76mm with smoke shell, E8 with WP shell and Jumbo with stationary mode.
6 May 2019, 20:42 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 May 2019, 20:39 PMLago

other idea i ha was some kind of spearhead ability that reduces suppression recived by nearby infantry
6 May 2019, 20:47 PM

It's a nice effort for sure, but it still lacks defining features of the Sherman Jumbo like the extra glacis armor plate and the very thick mantlet that would make the model stand out enough.

I personally think the current Sherman variants with all kinds of different amounts of HP and armor are already pushing the boundries of visual communication to the player. A pseudo-Jumbo model that mostly looks like a Sherman 76mm with a shorter barrel but with way higher armor/hp than other similar looking Shermans would make things too confusing.
6 May 2019, 20:51 PM

It's a nice effort for sure, but it still lacks defining features of the Sherman Jumbo like the extra glacis armor plate and the very thick mantlet that would make the model stand out enough.

I personally think the current Sherman variants with all kinds of different amounts of HP and armor are already pushing the boundries of visual communication to the player. A pseudo-Jumbo model that mostly looks like a Sherman 76mm with a shorter barrel but with way higher armor/hp than other similar looking Shermans would make things too confusing.

Which is why you stick the Improved Fortifications symbol in the upgrade slot.
ddd
6 May 2019, 20:58 PM

1. Nobody will see these defining features from standard camera angle anyway.

2. Barrel lenght and icon are most standing out features anyway.

3. Every special sherman variant is limited to only one doctrine. You wont see all of them on the battlefield at once unless its 4v4 which is shitshow anyway.
6 May 2019, 21:03 PM

I have to concure with what the others have already said, the people want a Sherman Jumbo to replace the Bulldozer in Urban Assault so we don't have another commander in need of a revamp in the pipeline.

It's obvious that the commander is currently the most unpopular of the bunch and a Jumbo might just make it a bit more worthwhile, unique, new and useful all at the same time, not to mention easier to balance.

If you don't believe me have a look again at all of the discussions about the commander and see for yourself, I'm not saying I'm a Wizzard by no means or can see in the future but I think I have accurate calling skills from all of my years of experience.
6 May 2019, 21:18 PM

It's obvious that the commander is currently the most unpopular of the bunch and a Jumbo might just make it a bit more worthwhile, unique, new and useful all at the same time, not to mention easier to balance.

I don't deny that, I think the Jumbo would be a wonderful addition to USF (imo it should've been in the stock unit line-up), but the Jumbo simply can not be accurately implemented with the tools that are available and I don't think it's worth putting in a model that only partially looks like one.

In fact I doubt Relic would even allow it because of quality standards.
6 May 2019, 21:30 PM

I don't deny that, I think the Jumbo would be a wonderful adition to USF (it should've been in the stock unit line-up), but the Jumbo simply can not be accurately implemented with the tools that are available and I don't think it's worth putting in a model that only partially looks like one.

In fact I doubt Relic would even allow it because of quality standards.

You mean the same quality standards as the Soviet Maxim death loop or the ZiS 3's crew getting a heart attack and hopping off and on the gun every time they have to fire the barrage ability?

As ddd and Lago have already stated, simply give it a different icon, nobody will seriously zoom in all of the way to view the unit in detail, it's purely for gameplay purposes not to look authentic plus as you said to me in the chat the other day that gameplay takes priority over real life specs?

ddd
6 May 2019, 21:35 PM

I wonder who is supposed to get offended by "low quality" of Jumbo model? Maybe relic shareholders who dont give a rats ass about this game or community? Because players are certainly excited for new unit, no matter "low quality".
6 May 2019, 21:38 PM

You mean the same quality standards as the Soviet Maxim death loop or the ZiS 3's crew getting a heart attack and hopping off and on the gun every time they have to fire the barrage ability?

Bugs are not the same as model quality. Besides, the fact that there is some stuff in the game that shouldn't be there is not a reason to add even more stuff that shouldn't be there.

As ddd and Lago have already stated, simply give it a different icon, nobody will seriously zoom in all of the way to view the unit in detail, it's purely for gameplay purposes not to look authentic plus as you said to me in the chat the other day that gameplay takes priority over real life specs?

Completely ripped out of context, we were talking about gun charactaristics on vehicles that are completely different visually. The Elefant's 88mm KwK43 can behave differently from the King Tiger's because the Elefant and its gameplay role are utterly distinguishable from a King Tiger. A pseudo Jumbo that mostly looks like a Sherman 76 wouldn't be.

This is like requesting the Jagdpanther to be in CoH2 and just proposing to use the Panther model with the turret stuck facing forwards because they kinda look the same from a distance.
6 May 2019, 21:46 PM

Bugs are not the same as model quality.

Completely ripped out of context, we were talking about gun charactaristics on vehicles that are completely different visually. The Elefant's 88mm KwK43 can behave differently from the King Tiger's because the Elefant and its gameplay role are utterly distinguishable from a King Tiger. A pseudo Jumbo that mostly looks like a Sherman 76 wouldn't be.

This is like requesting the Jagdpanther to be in CoH2 and just proposing to use the Panther model with the turret stuck facing forwards because they kinda look the same from a distance.

The list of "bugs" is longer but I have to be here the whole day to keep adding to it.

As far as your saying goes, I don't think it's out of context, I agree with you in the belief that gameplay is more important here than not having a Jumbo with a visual 1mm of an armor slab added to it's hull and turret armor.

And I don't think 1mm of slab armor on the model is the same as a fixed superstructure but alright.

It's just going to be sad for a new commander to be such a let down to many people and in the end only the community will suffer.
6 May 2019, 21:47 PM

KV-1/Churchill clones support by the best TD, one of the most cost efficient indirect fire support unit, Scott, top of the line mainline infatry and support weapons would simply prove problematic.
ddd
6 May 2019, 22:05 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 May 2019, 21:47 PMVipper
KV-1/Churchill clones support by the best TD, one of the most cost efficient indirect fire support unit, Scott, top of the line mainline infatry and support weapons would simply prove problematic.

The only things that wouldnt prove problematic in your eyes are 5 men conscript squad and 4 men maxim crew. Every single thing that is not absolute trash "would prove problematic". But only in USF feedback threads.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★