Login

russian armor

Feedback for New Commander mod 4.0 - OST core changes

PAGES (14)down
17 Apr 2019, 09:12 AM

How about a 2nd upgrade for the 221, it can become the 223 and have the radio relay again but instead of being able to lock down sectors it gets a forward retreat point with a large cooldown to not get exploited. Problem solved.
17 Apr 2019, 09:41 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Apr 2019, 06:34 AMStark
- do you guys really think that observation bunker fits the theme of Strategic Tank Reserves? From what i understand the reason why commander was picked becouse it alludes to the well equipted elite german divisions like Grossdeutschland that had to fill the gaps in the broken frontline. The idea of radio intel sort of made sense but observation bunker (even though it's really interesting concept) is a defensive structure and doesn't merge with agressive, highly mobile panzer divisions. I highly suggest to change it with something more connected to vehicules.

It's supposed to resemble a "Forward Observation Post" that, thematically speaking, would be set up by the recon elements of a counter attack force or deployed by the remnants of a defending force.

It provides information on enemy positions and movements and where to expect an enemy attack - thus indicating where the Strategic Reserves should be deployed to bolster local defenses or to mount a counter attack. On top of its natural sight, its abilities will be invaluable in providing reconnaissance and intelligence for this. Incidentally it can also be used to prepare for an attack, but the limited cast range on the abilities limits its use in that regard.

Compared to Radio Intercept this structure operates more on the tactical level rather than the operational level. It requires some interaction from the player and provides counter play to the enemy, which in my opinion is preferable to making it a global one-click uncounterable ability (like Partisan map hacks or OKW flares map hacks). I think it's also preferable to an ability that would straight up further boost vehicles effectiveness given that the commander already gets better Panzer IVs and the Tiger Ace (also do note the theme is Strategic Reserves in general, and not specifically armored reserves).

The next iteration should make it feel more like a makeshift structure that is more offensive orientated rather than a big old bunker you'd hide somewhere. Don't mind the concrete bunker placeholder model.
17 Apr 2019, 10:14 AM

Just like to mention that the OKW Ostwind hasn't received the same adjustments (vet 4 damage buff might need to be changed through). Love the ostwind but way too brutal against clumped troops (A bit worried about team games but we will see).
17 Apr 2019, 10:24 AM

- with current Pgren vet1 changes what is the proposal of the BalanceTeam to replace the ability in German Infantry Doctrine?

German Infantry still offers focus fire and repairing for Pgrens. The first already has a 25 muni cost (and drawbacks) tied to it, the second is very slow, so should be avoided in most cases (like conscript repair). I'd think removing the upgrade cost on Pgrens would suffice.

- The idea of radio intel sort of made sense but observation bunker (even though it's really interesting concept) is a defensive structure and doesn't merge with agressive, highly mobile panzer divisions. I highly suggest to change it with something more connected to vehicules.

17 Apr 2019, 13:43 PM

Wehrmacht
Strategic Tank Reserves – By Smartie

We think Smartie’s proposal is thematically very strong, and has potential for new strategic gameplay for Wehrmacht. The balance theme independently discussed the potential of an “Elite Reserves Doctrine”, based on the well-equipped “Feuerwehr” forces used to strategically fight rear-guard attacks during the retreat on the Eastern Front. There’s no wonder we dig this theme and some of the abilities within it. Were this commander theme to win the vote, we would consider reworking Assault Grenadiers as part of the commander, as it fits thematically, and would benefit other doctrines.

I always though it's gonna be "Strategic Armor Reserves" becouse that was the Smartie's titule of a commander. Didn't notice you change it. Above you have the description on offical post describing the new ostheer commander. Dunno if the "recon" static position should be it's strength.

Anyway, thx for decent explanation and justifying your choice though. Notice that the concrete bunker isn't really the easy set up recon element and doesn't look like one. It's good you are atleast thinking about making it more... provisional.
German Infantry still offers focus fire and repairing for Pgrens. The first already has a 25 muni cost (and drawbacks) tied to it, the second is very slow, so should be avoided in most cases (like conscript repair). I'd think removing the upgrade cost on Pgrens would suffice.

Yeah, you have right, they still can repair but upgrade shouldn't cost anything then which is worth pointing out.
17 Apr 2019, 23:05 PM

Alright, tried out the Land Lease Commander for UKF.

It would seem that when you upgrade to Bofors in order to get access to M5 Halftracks, the Bofors will not unlock.

The M5 Quad still reinforces infantry.

18 Apr 2019, 10:06 AM

The new Pg vet ability is great.
(Combined Arms ability: Passive ability. Panzergrenadiers gain -10% received accuracy and +20% speed when near vehicles.)

And it close to something I had suggested 3 years ago:
https://www.coh2.org/topic/56431/p-g-s-a-suggestion-for-a-new-vet-1-ability

But I would suggest that ability scale with veterancy:
For instance the bonuses at vet 1 could be 5% and 10% than increase to 10% 15% at vet 2 and 10% 20% at vet 3.

18 Apr 2019, 10:23 AM

There isn't a single logical balance reason why any vet1 ability should scale with vet.

The ability is very strong as it is and PGs get additional 50% rec acc vet with it, while they start at 0.8.

Unless you've watched too much Matrix and enjoyed bullet dodging a bit too much, there isn't really any reason to make that ability even more powerful.
18 Apr 2019, 10:30 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Apr 2019, 10:23 AMKatitof
There isn't a single logical balance reason why any vet1 ability should scale with vet.

The ability is very strong as it is and PGs get additional 50% rec acc vet with it, while they start at 0.8.

Unless you've watched too much Matrix and enjoyed bullet dodging a bit too much, there isn't really any reason to make that ability even more powerful.

Read understand respond.

What I suggested was that it becomes weaker at vet 1 and the currently values are moved to vet 3...

Most abilities should scale with veterancy so that they do not create power spikes.

Now pls cut down on the personal comments.
18 Apr 2019, 11:18 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Apr 2019, 10:06 AMVipper
The new Pg vet ability is great.
(Combined Arms ability: Passive ability. Panzergrenadiers gain -10% received accuracy and +20% speed when near vehicles.)

And it close to something I had suggested 3 years ago:
https://www.coh2.org/topic/56431/p-g-s-a-suggestion-for-a-new-vet-1-ability

But I would suggest that ability scale with veterancy:
For instance the bonuses at vet 1 could be 5% and 10% than increase to 10% 15% at vet 2 and 10% 20% at vet 3.

PG is not superman

Excessive buffs hurt game balance
18 Apr 2019, 11:31 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Apr 2019, 11:18 AMblancat

PG is not superman

Excessive buffs hurt game balance

Reread, it would be a nerf from their current state in the preview.
18 Apr 2019, 12:17 PM

I think Vipper was promoting a slower vet with the same end result

I know at first glance it looked like proposing a 20% RA bonus but no. They want the current vet 1 passive to unlock in stages between vet 1 and 3

I am in favour of less spikes in vet, but CoH2 is all about the vet spikes, tbh. Unless we do the same to all units and smooth out the curve there's no need to punish pgrens with slower progression
18 Apr 2019, 12:22 PM

I think Vipper was promoting a slower vet with the same end result

I know at first glance it looked like proposing a 20% RA bonus but no. They want the current vet 1 passive to unlock in stages between vet 1 and 3

I am in favour of less spikes in vet, but CoH2 is all about the vet spikes, tbh. Unless we do the same to all units and smooth out the curve there's no need to punish pgrens with slower progression

Yes, I've reread it, however its only going to increase complicity of that bonus and open a gateway for possible bugs with stacking(because these always slip in), so I'd rather keep that as a feedback for CoH3.

DoW2/CoH1 PE veterancy was perfect and how it should be. Same % bonus at every level to diminish power spikes, the % of what is being improved at what level could be custom tailored for each unit/role, but increases would be less of a spike and more of a consistent improvement.

However, that's a thing for CoH3.
18 Apr 2019, 13:01 PM

A large number of abilities scale with veterancy without any issues, grenade range, flares range, cool down are common vet buffs for abilities.
18 Apr 2019, 20:19 PM

Does the update to the UKF and SOV M5 Halftrack affect the USF M5 in Tactical Support Company?
18 Apr 2019, 21:02 PM

I've got the feeling that M42 canister range nerf will simply kill the ability for good.
19 Apr 2019, 14:41 PM

About core changes.

Ostwind.
Good changes overall, but reduce vet 2 AA bonus to 35%. 40% kinda too much. Also I don't like new AOE cap. Maybe 3 models instead of 2? The main problem is the fact that Ostwind had damaged pretty much all models in cover, which resulted in heavy damage and good wipe potential. Allies realistically have very few 4-man squads (CE, partisans, Commando officer, Vehicle Crew and, partly, RE), so there is not much reason to cap Ostwind so brutally.
Hope that those buffs affect OKW Ostwind.

Stug.
Nothing to comment, really. I like both buffs.

Pgrens.
Easier to include in BO, but the way I see it - if you had builded them earlier - you will still build them. If not - 4 grens all the way in as usual.
Better vet 1 is good, build time, pop and reinforce time - all good.
G43 - meh... Why not 4 G43? Why not for free? They just in strange place.
19 Apr 2019, 15:04 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Apr 2019, 21:02 PMKatitof
I've got the feeling that M42 canister range nerf will simply kill the ability for good.

Possibly. It's not completely useless, but it'd be like buying a ZiS for indirect.

Maybe they could make it a timed ability instead? 30 muni, switches to canisters for 30 seconds, cancelable?

That'd keep the potency of one gun, but break the murderblob. A little like what they did to the SU-76.
PAGES (14)down
2 users are browsing this thread: 2 guests

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS