Login

russian armor

Pay-2-win game?

3 Apr 2019, 08:24 AM

I've been playing COH2 for about 2 months now, I am still learning the game ever since I claimed it for free (which was very nice at the moment) until I was struck by the truth.

This game is super imbalanced with their factions, often the SU and OST will never win engagements against the other DLC factions. When you use 2 cons to kill 1 volk, then you have a problem. I won't even start about the late game. The DLC factions dominate throughout the whole game, the early, the mid and late game. Unless they screw up bigtime, which rarely happens since 90% of the time your opponents have played the game for at least a year.

The SU without effective troops like Guard Rifles or Penals during the early game gets outscaled after 4 mins. 4 frickin minutes, about that time I am still banking resources to build a light tank. The early harass with halftracks without enough munitions poses a problem since I cannot use my AT-grenade without skill blobs. The MG is a disgrace, before I can pump damage to the enemy, my boi MG is running like Usain Bolt on adrenaline shots. The Katyusha is nice, if you call getting one shot by a tank is nice. The AT's can't damage the tanks effectively enough to provide support for the lack of power the T-34's has, only the SU-87 is useful (not including the doctrinal tanks like the ISU and KV-8) but still that tank has a heavy ass. I can easily get ganked on by two medium tanks or a heavy tank.

Now the OST, oh god this faction is extremely underpowered. The only unit I find joy in is the MG (dat insta pin), the other units are so bad at dealing damage that I even felt the SU was better. OST is also the faction I know that the only thing you have in the late game is Panthers, just building panthers everyday. And the tank isn't even that strong, even with AT support, the Allied tanks (excluding T-34's) can demolish the OST.

Another problem I have is the veteran players being toxic towards new players, I know the game is very strategical and needs decent micro but fix the factions for god's sake. It is never fun when two T34's can't even kill one Puma with an AT, and the Brits are stage 4 cancer.

The DLC factions cost money to unlock, which are the much better factions than the SU and OST. I cannot think otherwise that the players who bought the DLC factions (or have them) are blessed by Gaben with unfair advantages and unit buffs hidden behind a paywall, it is not healthy for the game and for the players using SU and OST. Starcraft 2 does it better lul
3 Apr 2019, 08:28 AM

Play PvE first until you can use any Force beat Hard AI easily
3 Apr 2019, 08:32 AM

Play PvE first until you can use any Force beat Hard AI easily

Already done that. I don't play competitive games without learning the mechanics first. The AI is like a baby using a pacifier to plug their nose, basically entertaining to watch with malice.
3 Apr 2019, 08:40 AM

What mod do you play? 1vs1, 2vs2 or 4vs4?

Coh2 Learning curve is hard with every faction, you don't play OKW USF or UKF but you would face the same issue with them.
3 Apr 2019, 08:49 AM

Now coh2 is balanced enough, is not a p2w game , maybe at beginning with dlc commanders. Anyway i agree with veterans point, this is an old solid community, and now the top 300 players are all good players. It's hard for new players. I suggest you to search on twitch or youtube some recent Soviet games, you will notice like this faction is in a good spot.
3 Apr 2019, 08:50 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Apr 2019, 08:40 AMEsxile
What mod do you play? 1vs1, 2vs2 or 4vs4?

Coh2 Learning curve is hard with every faction, you don't play OKW USF or UKF but you would face the same issue with them.

I play all of the modes

1v1 makes my head ache, 2v2 gives my heart burns whenever my troops get airstriked, 3v3 always have that one guy that goes afk after 5 mins and 4v4 is a circus.

I need serious help
3 Apr 2019, 08:52 AM

Now coh2 is balanced enough, is not a p2w game , maybe at beginning with dlc commanders. Anyway i agree with veterans point, this is an old solid community, and now the top 300 players are all good players. It's hard for new players. I suggest you to search on twitch or youtube some recent Soviet games, you will notice like this faction is in a good spot.

I only appreciated the SU when I found out that the OST was equivalent to a sack of potatoes (except the MG I like that lil bich)
3 Apr 2019, 08:53 AM

I play all of the modes

1v1 makes my head ache, 2v2 gives my heart burns whenever my troops get airstriked, 3v3 always have that one guy that goes afk after 5 mins and 4v4 is a circus.

I need serious help

Watch twitch streams or uploaded replays, that'll give you general idea on how to play with each faction.

All factions are relatively well balanced at the moment, but not all individual units are.
3 Apr 2019, 08:56 AM

I only appreciated the SU when I found out that the OST was equivalent to a sack of potatoes (except the MG I like that lil bich)

You will find half and half ost/okw in every 2v2 o 4v4 game at high level ( last tourney 2v2/4v4) , and always one soviet in every team games, 2v2 and 4v4. If top players choose both wher and ostheer maybe these factions are so UP. Maybe, and i'm saying maybe, OST is a little bit UP in some maps or vs usf. But devs are already working on this.
3 Apr 2019, 08:59 AM

Watch twitch streams or uploaded replays, that'll give you general idea on how to play with each faction.

All factions are relatively well balanced at the moment, but not all individual units are.

I can't really call the OST balanced when the only good infantry is the MG (god dat insta pin)
3 Apr 2019, 09:05 AM

I can't really call the OST balanced when the only good infantry is the MG (god dat insta pin)

And that's specifically you should watch some replays and streams.
Ost is combined arms faction, grens alone won't get you anywhere.
3 Apr 2019, 09:07 AM

See, this is why you have a "problem with the veteran players being toxic towards new players" because you instantly ignore or dismiss their more seasoned opinion and experience and keep on pretending your own hasty conclusion is the only truth.

Almost everyone on this forum will agree that the current state of inter-faction balance is the best it's ever been (with a few hiccups here and there). If you have problems facing certain factions or playing with certain factions then that's a learn to play issue, which is absolutely fine, and people will gladly help you to get better.

But you have to be willing to accept that help.
3 Apr 2019, 09:40 AM

I play all of the modes

I need serious help

You'll find that help on twitch, youtube and replays.

You can start by watching those solid videos made by Tightrope: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMJFmZl8aYOeoRdddMg7im6dwJHI4y7bL and follow watching some of his recent cast, he is always really good a analyzing each situation.

3 Apr 2019, 11:00 AM

Hello.
I play this game since the first day of it's release.
And I always play ostheer. I have the other factions too but the Ost fits my playstyle best.

And in most matches I am the one with the most dealer damage.

The key in playing Ost is that your units support each other.
A stug alone is bad. A stug together with a gren and a panzergren is very good. But you need some micro management. =)
3 Apr 2019, 14:12 PM

This sounds like a l2p issue if you are complaining about rocket arti being oneshot honestly.
Try to use units to their strengths and not drive the most unarmored, low health units to the frontline.
Honestly would you take 10% health P4 into battle? No? Then why get katys into tank gun range?
3 Apr 2019, 14:43 PM

A couple things. 1)The game is best understood when you play as all factions. Best way to get a handle on what unit can do what and how they are countered. 2) You're not wrong about SU infy. There are several threads about the need for conscripts upgrade. 3) For a game that's 5 years old, the veterans in the community are passionate. Coming in hot and shitting on the game will not be received well. Especially if you don't show an understanding of the game (Katy getting one shot from tank, should happen). There are certainly some toxic a-holes, but there's still plenty of people willing to help. Ask specific questions, listen to the responses and make an ultimate decision. When played correctly, this game can be quite beautiful. Welcome to the community :)
3 Apr 2019, 15:22 PM

for game modes above 1 v 1, try to play with friend. COH2 shines when you coordinate with your friends.
3 Apr 2019, 16:48 PM

I don't think the game is really p2w. In fact I think Relic has moved COH2 away from P2W by implementing a ingame economy to buy commanders.
3 Apr 2019, 17:41 PM

. When you use 2 cons to kill 1 volk, then you have a problem.

Thats why you use premium infantry like Guards or penal bois to dominate as SU.
And MG42's all over the place, if playing for OST.
3 Apr 2019, 18:17 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Thats why you use premium infantry like Guards or penal bois to dominate as SU.
And MG42's all over the place, if playing for OST.

That's him not knowing how to play the specific match up. You don't go conscripts unless you want to play offmeta, specially if you don't have PPSH in mind.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★