Login

russian armor

Playing against AI good practice?

17 Mar 2019, 13:33 PM

Since im so bad at MP i have a course of action that im going to take. Master Hard CPU and be able to beat it 10/10 time,And than Excellent CPU. Is this a good course of action on improving?
17 Mar 2019, 14:07 PM

Unfortunately rather not. The harder and hardest AIs are not more intelligent in particular, they just cheat more.

This means that they will get way more ressources than they should usually get. Even if you manage to destroy multiple squads, they will still have more than they should.

Besides that, the AI is really stupid. They tend to not retreat their squads and build useless units, e.g. a Kübelwagen after 15 min.

Winning vs the hardest AI is definitely not easy (I also have my problems) BUT once you got behind how the AI thinks, you usually have no problems. Real enemies on the other hand tend to do much more "cheesy" stuff. For example, the AI will NEVER circle around your tanks.

If you manage to win against the hardest AI, you are usually better than >50% of the people playing online in lower ranks. But the learning factor is very limited.

Don't be afraid to play versus other human players. The first games will always be somehow special, because usually both players don't really know what they are doing. In my first game in vCoH for example I built a sandbag wall around my 8.8 Flak, lol.
17 Mar 2019, 14:14 PM

17 Mar 2019, 14:15 PM

Honestly, you should just jump straight into 1v1, get your butt handed to you and try to learn from mistakes. AI is good only for learning the most basic mechanics.
17 Mar 2019, 14:52 PM

Playing against AI is not good practice. The AI doesn't have any gameplan or use any tactics, it just blindly throws a superior number of troops towards you (in case of expert ai). You can easily cheese them by just spamming mg's and AT guns.

I'd start with 4v4 to get a hang of the game and its units, then play 1v1 to get stomped and slowly improve upon mistakes.
17 Mar 2019, 16:48 PM

Playing against AI is not good practice. The AI doesn't have any gameplan or use any tactics, it just blindly throws a superior number of troops towards you (in case of expert ai). You can easily cheese them by just spamming mg's and AT guns.

I'd start with 4v4 to get a hang of the game and its units, then play 1v1 to get stomped and slowly improve upon mistakes.

I agree with this idea. And I used to always advocate playing 4v4 first to learn.

However, getting a game in 4v4 is nearly impossible anymore. Your team mates will all be surfing the web while waiting to start. So they will either be AFK or crash when the game starts. Your chances of getting a good 4v4 game are approximately 1 in 5.

Here are my last 7 4v4 games:
1. Losing connection to Relic servers all game. Still win somehow.
2. Losing connection to Relic servers all game. Lose.
3. Losing connection to Relic servers all game. Lose.
4. Enemy crashes on load. Win.
5. Matched against a higher ranked premade team: Lose badly.
6. Matched against the same higher ranked premade team: Lose even worse.
7. Team mate crashes on load. Lose.

Its a fucking joke and a waste of your time. Relic needs to do something about it because its killing the game. But they cant because COH3 will be here first.

Play 1v1 against HARD AI. Never click ahead of where you want to go (never A-Move). This just tells the AI where to send their units. Make MGs out the ass, cause the AI cant deal with them. Also, 4v4 is all about MGs and Mortar so you are getting good practice.

Then play EXPERT AI with MGs and hold both fuels. After mastering that play EXPERT without MGs and get stomped by tanks 10 minutes into the game because even if you hold both fuels they will have tanks 5-8 minutes before you. And that is after making light vehicles.

Then start playing 1v1. And never make more than one MG or you will get rolled.

And of course after playing 1v1 you will see that losing one engagement = you lose. And after RNG spreads your cheeks apart so far you invert, you will uninstall like everyone else does. Unless you have mental problems. If so, welcome to the club.

The best thing you can do is play some 4v4 and start friending people at your skill level. Then make a team. At least then you can get some good games in usually.
17 Mar 2019, 16:52 PM

Ok ill try thanks for the tips.
17 Mar 2019, 17:00 PM

No but it's rather good fun and relaxing for me and many others.

After a long day at work dealing with the bullshit of the world and idiots it's nice to teleport back to WW2 and fight an arguably immersive skirmish that you can think is part of a bigger war and try to survive against the onslaught of enemies and hordes that 4 expert AIs try to hurrle at you.

Or at least that's my opinion.

I dealt with a lot of what Rosbone describes and decided that it's not for me.
17 Mar 2019, 17:02 PM

How do you make a custom signature?
17 Mar 2019, 17:04 PM
Patrion 310

If you are very new to the game / series and still trying to figure out everything, than playing VS the ai will almost certainly be of help. If you already know the mechanics, the units etc then less so.

Its worth jumping on to twitch and watching other people play. Can learn a lot about the game and most streamers are happy to answer questions as well.
17 Mar 2019, 17:13 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

How do you make a custom signature?

This isn't the place for this question, but you're new here and may/may not fully understand all our rules yet. :P Microsoft paint is what I use. You can crop, edit, resize just about anything you like.
17 Mar 2019, 17:24 PM

Playing against AI on my map The Narrow is the most fun I have ever had playing this game.

And back in the day I made a similar map for COH to play against. Simply amazing and fun all the time.

I rarely have fun against people. I have never had a fun 1v1 match. Ever. Not even close to fun. Sucks ass every time.

Occasionally get a good 4v4 match, but then RNG decides the winner and that good feeling is quickly taken away.

That is why you will normally see 5k to 15k people playing the game and still have to wait forever to get a match. PVP is just not fun in most cases. They are all playing against AI in custom matches.

EXAMPLE:
I played a 1v1 against a normal low rank guy like myself. He makes Panzer 4. Its first shot without any sight and at max range wipes a full health rifleman squad. Next shot kills an MG gunner. Next shot wipes rest of MG squad. So 3 shots = 9 dead guys and two squads wiped. G fucking G.

Next game I just spectate and see a top 10 player on the same map. He makes a Panzer 4 just like my enemy did. It shoots 10 times and never kills anyone. Doesnt even do any damage to any units. Even though he is in great range and has clear sighted shots.

Why would anyone sane play this piece of shit I ask?

You will see most people only play sporadically because you will get a game or two that are good, then the bullshit and RNG kick in and they stop playing. Then that shitty feeling passes and you miss the great action this game has and you play again. Just to once again have your dick slammed in the car door.
17 Mar 2019, 17:46 PM

1v1 - tryhard paradise, salt mines, spam, rush for tech and other not-so-funny strats.

2v2 - little better, not so salty as 1v1, not so chaotic as 4v4, but still somewhat hard to play, if enemy applies enough pressure on your teammate aswel as on your side. Plays more like 1v1, most cancerous strats still apply, but much more easier to carry it out. Best setup IMO.
3v3 - it is just bigger 2v2, but with less spam and more actuall tactics
4v4 - chaos itself+arty spam. Most fun, but at same time most cancer.

vs AI - is stupid and have no paralels with actuall meta whatsoever. OKW AI spams cubels, Brit AI tryes to rush you with sections, and only USF AI will look like somewhat you might see in random battles because of poor army composition.
17 Mar 2019, 19:09 PM

3v3 - it is just bigger 2v2, but with less spam and more actuall tactics

:romeoHype:
17 Mar 2019, 19:54 PM

Since im so bad at MP i have a course of action that im going to take. Master Hard CPU and be able to beat it 10/10 time,And than Excellent CPU. Is this a good course of action on improving?

Just keep playing mp until you get better, really no other way.
AI games are good only to get to know how faction works before going mp.
17 Mar 2019, 20:36 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Mar 2019, 19:54 PMKatitof

Just keep playing mp until you get better, really no other way.
AI games are good only to get to know how faction works before going mp.

+1

People play much differently than AI and timings are much different when your opponent isn't just cheating its way to tech. You'll get a much better feel for the game and get much better by by playing against real people even if you lose.
20 Mar 2019, 00:01 AM

If you are new and just looking to learn units, e.g what they do, their strong points and weak points etc.. Then yes, playing against the AI is good practice so that you know what to do in a multiplayer game. It can also be a nice 'warm up' game.

If you are looking to get BETTER at the game and improve your skills by playing against the AI then no. Because the AI does very predictable things (it also literally cheats in higher difficulties). This makes it so that it is not like a human being, a human being is unpredictable. Humans will flank you at times very effectively, circle your tanks and in general play some hardcore strategies difficult to counter. AI cannot do this.

You can beat the AI at max difficulty 10/10 times and it is not an indicator of skill in MP.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Korea, Republic Of 5
unknown 3

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment