Login

russian armor

Tiger Ace: Unwanted Liability

9 Dec 2018, 06:36 AM
Donator 22

I still like it a lot. It is fun to play and sometimes very useful.
I needs to be in constant fight and in repair by at least 2 pios, Otherwise it will kill you :-/
The archetype of a YOLO unit.
9 Dec 2018, 09:53 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Dec 2018, 04:21 AMKirrik
TA should've always been just normal tiger with OKW style Panzer Commander ability instead of pintle mount.

Yes, with a special ability or two like the Command Panther. Or maybe an aura buff.
Would be much easier to balance the thing that way.

Tiger Ace might have made sense in the early days of CoH2 when the game was more arcade-ish, but now that most things have been normalized it doesn't fit anymore.
10 Dec 2018, 19:24 PM

And how often does that work lol.

As for on topic, I myself have thought about it for the past couple of days but you beat me to making this thread.

I agree on making it a Command Tiger, similar to the Command Panther for the okw and a direct counterpart to PZIV command tank. What I'd imagine it would be like is a bit of a gimped Tiger that provides nearby German vehicles with a substantial boost in offensive power.

I don't know if that's the best route to go with it but I don't have any other ideas right now.

Actually...
That is... an amazing... idea.

A Tiger Command Tank...

I like it a lot.
Esp since no Command Soldier or Command Pz4 in that Commander.
10 Dec 2018, 20:37 PM

The idea of a Kommando-Tiger is really good. Maybe the only unit with 5-Vet for Ostheer? ;D
14 Dec 2018, 21:16 PM

Tiger Ace should be replaced with King Tiger!
14 Dec 2018, 22:14 PM

The unit itself is not bad, it's an ACE unit.
It's just that the commander now is useless, so going for it or not is already a bad choice since you don't call a Tiger ace for the same reason you would call a regular Tiger, as a back up or late game tank.

Soviet windustry and elite troops used to be the best commanders, now nerfed to nothingness.
Not because they couldn't fix them, but whoever balanced these 2 commanders obviously had no idea what he was doing.
They didn't even realize they removed the speed tank building from soviet industry, which was the whole point.

Let's not even get started with the fuel drops.

I never undertood why they removed the ability to vet your units with elite troops.
Or why stormtroopers upgrade are so expensive.

17 Dec 2018, 11:12 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Dec 2018, 22:14 PMCresc
The unit itself is not bad, it's an ACE unit.
It's just that the commander now is useless, so going for it or not is already a bad choice since you don't call a Tiger ace for the same reason you would call a regular Tiger, as a back up or late game tank.

Soviet windustry and elite troops used to be the best commanders, now nerfed to nothingness.
Not because they couldn't fix them, but whoever balanced these 2 commanders obviously had no idea what he was doing.
They didn't even realize they removed the speed tank building from soviet industry, which was the whole point.

Let's not even get started with the fuel drops.

I never undertood why they removed the ability to vet your units with elite troops.
Or why stormtroopers upgrade are so expensive.

I miss ability to vet your infantry too. It was intresting change, that you sacrificed getting tank up fast by having your few units on field on their best earlier. I know it was broken on old mortar, but you could always make times between vetting longer, so person couldn't spam grens and have them instantly shredding everything. but again i did not play game during that time so i can not say for sure.
17 Dec 2018, 12:21 PM

It'd be better as a normal Tiger. Its current design is just... odd. You get a Vet 3 Tiger that kills your income, so you're penalized hard for preserving it.
17 Dec 2018, 12:34 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Dec 2018, 12:21 PMLago
It'd be better as a normal Tiger. Its current design is just... odd. You get a Vet 3 Tiger that kills your income, so you're penalized hard for preserving it.

You're not supposed to preserve it.
You're not supposed to rely on it.
You're not supposed to build your game around having in on field.
You're supposed to call it in as either, last resort to try to make a comeback or to make that final push that'll secure the game for you.
If you want to preserve and rely on tiger for your regular, normal build order, you're supposed to pick normal tiger from half a dozen doctrines its in.
17 Dec 2018, 15:04 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Dec 2018, 12:34 PMKatitof

You're not supposed to preserve it.
You're not supposed to rely on it.
You're not supposed to build your game around having in on field.
You're supposed to call it in as either, last resort to try to make a comeback or to make that final push that'll secure the game for you.
If you want to preserve and rely on tiger for your regular, normal build order, you're supposed to pick normal tiger from half a dozen doctrines its in.

I know what it's for, I just think the concept's daft.

It's never been a mechanic that fits well into the game. It started out as an 800 MP GG button, and it's been progressively scaled back from that. The idea of a cheap call-in ubertank that turns your income off just doesn't work well in practice. In my opinion they should either rework it into a normal unit, or put the resource malus on a timer like CoH 1.
17 Dec 2018, 15:34 PM

Please God no more command tanks. Fix the ones we already have please
17 Dec 2018, 19:05 PM

The fact that it costs as much as it does combined with the penalty makes it useless outside of just tossing it out for fun in a game. When you basically have to suicide charge it to not be screwed by the resource penalties, the fact that it is also expensive means that to get any value out of it you would need to knock out at least a couple tanks and some squads in relatively short order.

Keeping the penalty but making the call in free would really be fine. I mean it doesn't come until 17cp and it's not the world wrecker it used to be. The call in being free would allow it to actually be a last ditch effort "oh crap" tank. If you're floating enough MP/Fuel while you're losing to call it in now, a Tiger Ace isn't going to win you that game.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★