Login

russian armor

How to avoid Bugsplat?

4 Oct 2018, 15:22 PM

Please tell me if it's even a clue or a tip because it's just gone crazy on my PC.

I get bugsplat once every 2-3 games and it's especially VERY frustrating when you play a 45-50 minute long game which you win and get Bugsplat without getting the win.

Do you guys have any advice to give to avoid Bugsplat as much as possible?

Thank you.
4 Oct 2018, 15:28 PM

Restart game every 1-2 matches. Restart after every long match.

That should reduce chance of bugsplat significantly.
4 Oct 2018, 15:30 PM
Lead Strategist Badge

Step 1: Restart every time after 2 matches.

Step 2: When it was 45 min game or longer restart direct

Step 3: Delete sometimes your replay files

Step 4: Delete in the lobby the videos in the background.
4 Oct 2018, 16:24 PM

Step 4: Delete in the lobby the videos in the background.

How do I do that?

Also muh replays !!
4 Oct 2018, 16:39 PM
Lead Strategist Badge

Delete Company of Heroes 2/COH2/Movies

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Nov 2015, 07:51 AMnee
go to Company of Heroes 2/COH2/Movies

Then delete the following:

flag_aef.lua
flag_westgerman.lua
flag_german.lua
flag_british.lua
flag_soviet.lua

muh replays?

C/user/ username/own documents/mygames/comapny of heros 2/ playback
4 Oct 2018, 17:50 PM

muh replays?

C/user/ username/own documents/mygames/comapny of heros 2/ playback

I know where my replays are but I don't want to delete them. I love watching my wins.

Thanks Sturm. I'll try these things you mentioned see if it gets better.
4 Oct 2018, 17:53 PM
Donator 11

I know where my replays are but I don't want to delete them. I love watching my wins.

Thanks Sturm. I'll try these things you mentioned see if it gets better.

You don't have to follow all of these steps. Usually the first one is enough. Also, you can do step 3 without removing replays all together. Just move them into some different folder and copy them back only when you want to watch one.
4 Oct 2018, 17:56 PM
Lead Strategist Badge

You don't have to follow all of these steps. Usually the first one is enough. Also, you can do step 3 without removing replays all together. Just move them into some different folder and copy them back only when you want to watch one.

That is correct :) I just gave him all possible steps he can go for. I have now since 1 year no bugsplit anymore. FeelsGoodMan
4 Oct 2018, 18:12 PM

That is correct :) I just gave him all possible steps he can go for. I have now since 1 year no bugsplit anymore. FeelsGoodMan

I hate that when I win a hard fought match, I get BugSplat and I either get a loss or the win doesn't count.
4 Oct 2018, 20:34 PM

That causes that to happen with replays? Do they have a memory leak attached to them or something that causes bug splats?
4 Oct 2018, 20:38 PM

That causes that to happen with replays? Do they have a memory leak attached to them or something that causes bug splats?

I think it has to do more with the "temp" replay file that all matches played are initially recorded to.
4 Oct 2018, 20:43 PM
Donator 11

Answering questions like that most likely requires access to source code. All we know is that it helped some guys in the past.

On the other hand many games suffer when there are too many files in their default directories. For example try to load a game in any total war when you have hundreds of saves. You can make a tea before the list loads.

As for coh2, current replay is always saved to the replay directory. It is possible that for example some relic programmer used function that apart from doing other things, reads a list of all files from that directory before flushing next piece of replay file to the disk. That is of course not a harmful operation by itself but may reveal some memory or synchronisation issues when the directory is overfull.
9 Oct 2018, 19:46 PM

Do you guys have any advice to give to avoid Bugsplat as much as possible?

Thank you.

Try to restart your PC more often and restart CoH2 and make a short 5 minute break if you had laags in the last game. This is what works for me and my potato PC most of the times. Still got Bugsplat from time to time but always after the game when it switches to the data screen ... so it works ... somehow (and btw. check if your PC is low on memory)
9 Oct 2018, 20:39 PM
Donator 11

You don't have to restart whole PC. Restarting the game is enough unless you have some other leaking programs in the background and little memory. For coh2 little memory is anything less than 12gb.
10 Oct 2018, 01:23 AM

if u want to avoid bugsplating completly, u have to restart every game, if u play a game on a non winter map, then get a winter map next game there is a big chance it will bugsplat.
12 Oct 2018, 14:36 PM

I have an nVidia 1060 video card and I notice that surfing the web while in que cause bugsplats for me.

Especially if you are surfing something that is using the video card such as videos.

If I restart after 2 games and dont surf at all while in COH2 I never bugsplat. So get an iPad or something else to surf on :P
12 Oct 2018, 17:39 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Oct 2018, 14:36 PMRosbone
I have an nVidia 1060 video card and I notice that surfing the web while in que cause bugsplats for me.

Especially if you are surfing something that is using the video card such as videos.

If I restart after 2 games and dont surf at all while in COH2 I never bugsplat. So get an iPad or something else to surf on :P

It sounds like more of a memory problem than GPU one. Browsers generally use lots of memory and videos are large files as well. That is why surfing the web can cause memory leak problems to become evident quicker.

If you ever happen to upgrade your RAM, the problems should go away. Of course if you already have 16gb or more then I am probably wrong.
12 Oct 2018, 17:53 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

Windows OS has a program max RAM usage cap which is often the cause of crashes on games which cause memory leak. Upgrading your RAM might improve some performance issues, but if the cause is just excess RAM usage getting more of it won't fix it.

There are technical ways to remove or increase the RAM usage cap, but you get into changing OS priorities.
12 Oct 2018, 19:19 PM

It sounds like more of a memory problem than GPU one. Browsers generally use lots of memory and videos are large files as well. That is why surfing the web can cause memory leak problems to become evident quicker.

If you ever happen to upgrade your RAM, the problems should go away. Of course if you already have 16gb or more then I am probably wrong.

Memory leak is the generic term. But where is the memory leaking. In a 3D application there is a lot of interplay between your computer memory and the videocard memory. Textures, models, animations, etc may have copies in both memories. A disk copy that gets cached by windows, a CPU copy in your code, a copy that gets passed to the GPU driver which may make another copy in CPU memory then push it out to the GPU.

In between doing all of that. You start surfing YouTube and create new drawing contexts and allocate more memory on the videocard. All of which is trying to draw to the same memory spaces and deal with Windows at the same time. GPU memory gets fragmented with bits of game here and youtube there....Its a miracle it ever works at all.

While sitting in the que COH2 is not allocating any new GPU memory. However once the match starts to load that is when people crash. When COH2 IS allocating GPU memory.

But I do not know for sure. Just an observation.

If I switch factions without a restart my chances go up for a bugsplat. Surf the web while in game chances go up.
13 Apr 2019, 08:11 AM

The proper solution is for Relic to fix any memory leak and other bugs (especially the ones that causes crashes). All we can do is guess work to mitigate.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★