Login

russian armor

Opel Blitz- why?

22 Sep 2018, 22:39 PM

The allies' focus on logistical excellency is a pretty universally-recognized truth by historians, no bias needed.

"... four other pieces of equipment that most senior officers came to regard as among the most vital to our success in Africa and Europe were the bulldozer, the jeep, the 2--ton truck, and the C-47 airplane. Curiously, none of these is designed for combat." ~Eisenhower

British had one Patrick Blackett. Check out his biography. Pretty cool dude

Germans... didn't achieve mass production of penicillin, which proved costly-- and were much less equipped to bring blood transfusions to the front lines, which is actually somewhat reflected in the meta!
22 Sep 2018, 22:54 PM

Let me put it this way, so it doesn't seem like I'm cherry picking. I've seen a lot of books talking about how the allies' use of logistics helped affect the outcome of the war, I can't recall seeing a book arguing that the axis lost in spite of their mastery of supply chain dynamics. They had "wonder weapons" that were powerful and heavy and required fuel which they often did not have.
23 Sep 2018, 16:00 PM

There's no naval component to CoH2. Most supply chains and logistics on the Allied side revolved around their ability to move resources across oceans.

This is really only represented by Lend Lease Tactics as a Soviet Commander, giving them access to some American made units.

I don't think there's going to be a whole lot of literature stating that Axis lost 'in spite of their mastery of supply chain dynamics'. But I do think you'll find plenty of resources that acknowledge that Axis supply chains were stretched beyond their limits. If the axis powers had diverted the amount of resources and manpower that would've been required to fully acquire, transport, and utilize the resources it needed to field, train, and maintain its military... it wouldn't have had enough resources to field, train, or maintain it's military.

This is the dilemma Germany, more than any Axis power, was grappling with throughout the war.

(Note, again, that this is not the best forum for historical discussions or the game's historicity. This is more of an arcade game than a simulator and it'd be wise to approach everything in the game as such.)
24 Sep 2018, 12:51 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Sep 2018, 20:47 PMLago

It's a supply cache on wheels. It serves the same function, but you can move it around.

That's pretty much it. A fun thing in one commander.

You're missing its main function - it keeps territory connected if it is cut off (but not decapped).
24 Sep 2018, 14:08 PM

I did not know that. That's pretty neat. The game should probably be more explicit about that, unless it is and I forgot.
24 Sep 2018, 16:09 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

You're missing its main function - it keeps territory connected if it is cut off (but not decapped).

So then its main function puts it in the worst case scenario? If the opel blitz is in a territory thats cut off, it WILL die.
25 Sep 2018, 10:59 AM

So then its main function puts it in the worst case scenario? If the opel blitz is in a territory thats cut off, it WILL die.

Only sometimes. There are maps that allow quite safe positions for your truck.
Here's a quick schematic example for "(6-8) La Gleize" map

Yellow lines - sector borders
Green areas - forests

With this placement you can concentrate on defending VP and Fuel and forget about your cutoff.

25 Sep 2018, 11:24 AM

I am sorry, but Opel-Blitz doesn't lock a position. It only boosts the income. What are you speaking about?
25 Sep 2018, 11:37 AM

Just to be clear:
(1) The Opel Blitz acts as an HQ in the sense that it's mere presence in a sector makes this sector (and all adjoining sectors) 'connected', even when it is cut off from the main base. Truck does not need to be set up for this.

(2) Setting up grenerates 2x resources for the sector it is in, regardless of the sector being cut-off or not (due to mechanic described in (1)).

(3) Setting up does not prevent territory from being captured.

So ElSlayer's example is right: to get the fuel income there is no need to be in control of the cutoff because the Opel Blitz truck will make the fuel sector be in supply regardless.

I didn't know the mere presence of the vehicle made territories be 'connected'. Given this I am surprised the Opel Blitz isn't used more in maps with ferocious cutoffs (such as Crossroads or Faymonville Approach) as a simple 200MP investment would render any attempt at a cutoff useless. Doesn't anybody know about this ability? Is it a bug?
25 Sep 2018, 11:57 AM

I didn't know the mere presence of the vehicle made territories be 'connected'. Given this I am surprised the Opel Blitz isn't used more in maps with ferocious cutoffs (such as Crossroads or Faymonville Approach) as a simple 200MP investment would render any attempt at a cutoff useless. Doesn't anybody know about this ability? Is it a bug?

The commander is mew on 1vs1, there is a tiger but that's most of it.

25 Sep 2018, 12:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Sep 2018, 11:57 AMEsxile

And this doctrine have a lot of munition drain abilities too LUL.
25 Sep 2018, 13:47 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Sep 2018, 11:57 AMEsxile

New 250HT might make it more attractive. Still, I would wager that being able to totally disregard your cutoff and focus solely on pushing the flanks instead outweighs the mediocre abilities. Especially if you can hide the truck and fool your opponent.
25 Sep 2018, 14:09 PM

New 250HT might make it more attractive. Still, I would wager that being able to totally disregard your cutoff and focus solely on pushing the flanks instead outweighs the mediocre abilities. Especially if you can hide the truck and fool your opponent.

I'm sorry but do you play 1vs1? frontline isn't static at all on 1vs1, cutting off means also decaping soon enough any other points. There is the concept of side capping meaning while your fight somewhere you have other squad capping at the other side of the map, and not necessarily the cutoff and your truck isn´t going to change that.

Cutoff is just an entry point on 1vs1 because it provides 0 Manpower and reduce 0 popcap points to your opponent. Once the cutoff is capped the objective is to cap your opponent fuel and munition thus rending your strategy of hiding a truck ineffective.

25 Sep 2018, 14:21 PM

...Especially if you can hide the truck and fool your opponent.

It is very easy to find the location of a setup Opel truck even if it is in the FOW
25 Sep 2018, 14:56 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Sep 2018, 14:09 PMEsxile
I'm sorry but do you play 1vs1? frontline isn't static at all on 1vs1, cutting off means also decaping soon enough any other points. There is the concept of side capping meaning while your fight somewhere you have other squad capping at the other side of the map, and not necessarily the cutoff and your truck isn´t going to change that.

The power of a cutoff lies in the fact that the defender has to 'waste' units to defend it or retake it, and arguably at somewhat of a 2:1 ratio even, leaving other areas on the flanks open for attack. If the cutoff can be ignored, it would make concentrating the defenses on the flanks a lot easier.

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Sep 2018, 14:21 PMVipper

It is very easy to find the location of a setup Opel truck even if it is in the FOW

My point was that the truck doesn't need to be set up in order for it to 'connect' cut-off territory. For maps like Faymonville Approach south side this could mean the truck can be used to drive into the south muni point to keep the entire west territory connected even if the middle cutoff is taken by the enemy and just back it up into the base whenever it's threatened.

But perhaps it's better on paper than it is in reality.
25 Sep 2018, 15:06 PM

If you keep your flank, you'll get flanked from the center. It is much easier to control the center and move on each flank when necessary.
25 Sep 2018, 15:14 PM

You might eventually get flanked through the center yes, but concentrated defenses will hold out longer than spread out defenses would. And the truck would ensure that for a petty investment you get to keep most of your resource income while duking it out on the flanks, unlike normal cut-off situations where you still defend the resource points on the flanks with whatever is left while not getting any actual resource gains while you're doing it.

Check out this casus:
https://youtu.be/fACbuGma1e8?t=3h25m22s

Let's say at that point Luvnest would have an Opel Blitz posted (not even set-up) at the southwest munitions point. He would've had the income during the entire 4 minutes fight over the center cut-off, as opposed to having 0 income as he did now.
25 Sep 2018, 19:19 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

You might eventually get flanked through the center yes, but concentrated defenses will hold out longer than spread out defenses would. And the truck would ensure that for a petty investment you get to keep most of your resource income while duking it out on the flanks, unlike normal cut-off situations where you still defend the resource points on the flanks with whatever is left while not getting any actual resource gains while you're doing it.

Check out this casus:

Let's say at that point Luvnest would have an Opel Blitz posted (not even set-up) at the southwest munitions point. He would've had the income during the entire 4 minutes fight over the center cut-off, as opposed to having 0 income as he did now.

You need to pick that commander. You actually need to spend manpower on that thing.

How many caches do you see been built on 1v1? How many of those early on? Cost opportunity is a thing.
26 Sep 2018, 10:20 AM

Check out this casus:

Let's say Lunvest would have his HMG covering from the center and not lost at the far left VP, he would have keep his cutoff.
I don't know what you want to prove here on 1vs1. The frontline on 1vs1 is always moving, you get always your fuel decapped and you always do the same to your opponent. The truck is valuable to increase your income for sure, anything else is a waste of money, time and micro since soon or later your fuel point Will be decap.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 34
Mexico 17
unknown 16
Germany 762
New Zealand 12
United States 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W