Login

russian armor

How to fix UKF: Unit overview

PAGES (9)down
2 Oct 2018, 04:51 AM

Um... are conscripts bad? with ppshs they melt stuff and they deal so much damage when they hit. The whole point of them is for meat and their utility, and maxim spam is rare as penals, snipers and guards are so good that maxims are kinda irrelevant.

Free flares would be awesome, a cost decrease is kinda essential. It wouldn't be that spammable, it has a cooldown afterall. If it's being spammed, increase the cooldown.
2 Oct 2018, 04:55 AM

I think conscripts, even without ppshs are fairly cost efficient with vet. You pay a bit in the opening engagements when they have targets on their helmets or something but once they get vet they become very durable as a six man squad with fairly good RA considering they are only 20 mp to reinforce. That and they have nondoctrinal sprint and snares at the same time, which is very nice. They do their job well enough to support the things they’re supposed to support and be supported by, which they need to do since neither is meant to nor should be trying to trade on their own.
2 Oct 2018, 05:15 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

I like the idea, but I’m a little worried about the potential spammability.

There exists a playerwide cooldown option that you can toggle to make sure increasing the amount of Infantry Sections don't actually increase the artillery rate. It'd still be the hardest artillery to pull off due to the requirement of having to literally throw the flare.

But just wait until you hear step two of my devious plan that includes giving pyro Tommies a semi-stealthy recon crawl so they can throw the arty flare without getting pinned at max MG range.
2 Oct 2018, 06:14 AM

There exists a playerwide cooldown option that you can toggle to make sure increasing the amount of Infantry Sections don't actually increase the artillery rate. It'd still be the hardest artillery to pull off due to the requirement of having to literally throw the flare.

But just wait until you hear step two of my devious plan that includes giving pyro Tommies a semi-stealthy recon crawl so they can throw the arty flare without getting pinned at max MG range.

Yeah I know about that it’s just I’d always be chucking the things around as soon as the cool down wore off. It’d be annoying as fuck to play against but then again so are mortars, especially when you have no way of countering them in 1v1s.

Oooo
2 Oct 2018, 06:49 AM

The whole point of them is for meat and their utility, and maxim spam is rare as penals, snipers and guards are so good that maxims are kinda irrelevant.

Exactly my point... T2 isnt viable without cons ppsh... t1 is whats keeping the soviets afloat
2 Oct 2018, 08:06 AM

Um... are conscripts bad? with ppshs they melt stuff and they deal so much damage when they hit. The whole point of them is for meat and their utility

You see, for them to be combat effective they need a doctrine and that's the problem.
"They have utility" is a meme. Other mainline inf can also throw nades and AT nades, merge keeps exactly the same amount of squads and models on fiel, you just retreat different squad, its very situational and oorah was made expensive enough to again, make it situational. They have no other utility that wouldn't match somehow that of other factions if we take doctrines into account.
2 Oct 2018, 18:45 PM

You see, for them to be combat effective they need a doctrine and that's the problem.
"They have utility" is a meme. Other mainline inf can also throw nades and AT nades, merge keeps exactly the same amount of squads and models on fiel, you just retreat different squad, its very situational and oorah was made expensive enough to again, make it situational. They have no other utility that wouldn't match somehow that of other factions if we take doctrines into account.

Hmmm... yeah comparing them to axis infantry is probably a better comparison tbh, hadn't thought of that. I was comparing them to USF and UKF infantry which have zero utility other than pretty good nades. XD.

Compared to volksgrenadiers most stock infantry pale imo, they have great utility, great vet, a great upgrade and are cheap as hell.
3 Oct 2018, 16:58 PM

I like the idea of British base artillery being free or nearly free. That would help their indirect fire problem.
4 Oct 2018, 00:30 AM

Hmmm... yeah comparing them to axis infantry is probably a better comparison tbh, hadn't thought of that. I was comparing them to USF and UKF infantry which have zero utility other than pretty good nades. XD.

Compared to volksgrenadiers most stock infantry pale imo, they have great utility, great vet, a great upgrade and are cheap as hell.

At least rifles have snares and can make sandbags or sprint when using docs... IS on the other hand is a tickle against light armor xD

Volks arent really OP here IMO... its just that IS and rifles were simply overnerfed... and cons lack the appropriate buffs... only the penal batallion beats them simply due to their innate strength
5 Oct 2018, 15:43 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Oct 2018, 00:30 AMgbem

At least rifles have snares and can make sandbags or sprint when using docs... IS on the other hand is a tickle against light armor xD

Volks arent really OP here IMO... its just that IS and rifles were simply overnerfed... and cons lack the appropriate buffs... only the penal batallion beats them simply due to their innate strength

I suppose that's a good point actually, I play with Soviet players a lot so don't play a lot of them myself but I never really had an issue with volksgrenadiers until this patch, Sections have definitely been overnerfed, and rifles require such an investment to compete. Or rather the nerfs have stacked and overlapped inadvertently making them worse than I think they were planned to be, with the cover bonus and bren nerf for example. I think now with the bren nerfed, infantry cover bonus could be buffed again as one of the main problems with the original cover bonus is that they were totally broken when wielding anything other than their rifles, but the bren was still good so even without the cover bonus the bren still over performed, but now without either infantry sections struggle.

Also the centaur, UKFs only blob control got nerfed a bit and also they changed the price of OST's medium armour building to make it cheaper. I might be wrong, (I can't remember if they adjusted it somewhere else too to balance it) but this would allow OST to get medium armour out a little earlier, decreasing the viability in rushing a centaur due to the inevitability of facing a P4 or StuG before getting other medium armour yourself. Which indirectly increases the effectiveness of blobbing against UKF.

Infantry sections only solace right now is trenches imo, sitting them on a capture point in a trench is a nightmare for OST especially and force an incendiary nade from OKW.
5 Oct 2018, 16:31 PM

Volks were given STGs to face rifles and IS, who were nerfed because they don't just face volks but also grens. Rifles and IS need a large investment to be able to match a lesser investment from the OKW. Cons also struggle against volks, so if all 3 allied factions are having effeciency issues against volks I'd hardly say it's because the 1 common denominator is fine and the others a troubled, especially when their current relationship with grens is good.
5 Oct 2018, 16:42 PM

Volks were given STGs to face rifles and IS, who were nerfed because they don't just face volks but also grens. Rifles and IS need a large investment to be able to match a lesser investment from the OKW. Cons also struggle against volks, so if all 3 allied factions are having effeciency issues against volks I'd hardly say it's because the 1 common denominator is fine and the others a troubled, especially when their current relationship with grens is good.

Makes me wonder if giving them an MG34 instead of the StGs if a better idea.

Of course it would need to be balance but it would act the same way as the Grenadiers, instead of walking and firing with the StGs or like the Obers with their MG34.
5 Oct 2018, 17:21 PM

Makes me wonder if giving them an MG34 instead of the StGs if a better idea.

Of course it would need to be balance but it would act the same way as the Grenadiers, instead of walking and firing with the StGs or like the Obers with their MG34.

Flamer and LMGs or generally weapons that provide the majority of the DPS of a unit in units with more than 4 entities are bad because the unit does not proportional part of their DPS when they lose models.

STGs are badly designed because their weapon profile is too good at all ranges and relative positioning does not provide enough of an advantage (sane goes for SVT). The game would be far better if they where removed or redesigned. Then allies infantry could be toned down.
6 Oct 2018, 03:46 AM

MG34 would be much better, whilst it might make them more potent at range and scale down more poorly when they lose models, it makes them more vulnerable to their counters as they should be. They are meant to be chaff line infantry after all, not assault infantry. Ostruppen get MG42s and they're 6 man squads not 5 so I don't think they'd become even more powerful with an MG34.

Volks having STG44s has always bugged me, every other line infantry in the game is vulnerable to being engaged in CQC by assault infantry, apart from volksgrenadiers. That's the point of having assault infantry. And with the power of STG44s combined with the price, or lack-there-of, of volksgrenadiers it results in a fairly poor trade even when using expensive units to deal with them, even if you win, something that counters all of their peers.

I don't think STG44s themselves are badly designed or function badly in game, STG44s don't function badly on Sturms or Panzergrens as they are both expensive units and sturmpioneers have pretty terrible received accuracy and neither have great utility. With Volksgrenadiers however there is virtually no penalty for using these units with STG44s badly, (they are essentially power weapons like BARs, Brens and light MG42s) they cannot be dropped, cost nothing to reinforce and are cheap to rearm fresh squads with. It makes them 'Idiot-proof' and makes it a lot harder to punish your opponents for bad plays or be rewarded for good play.

The CQC ambush counter for line infantry is more or less there for a reason and that is allowing you to counter and/or wipe the veterancy of line infantry in rock-paper-scissors style. Increasing their CQC effectiveness substantially with STG44s makes them inherently less vulnerable to this allowing their veterancy to doom spiral until you are facing 4 squads of vet 5 volksgrenadiers which not even assault infantry can save you from.

It also again presents the problem of OKW having all the tools available for you to just right click the capture point and win as everything in their roster is just there to be outrightly the best for that, I said in another thread, whilst that doesn't really make them OP, it just makes them easy mode, which in my opinion is bad for gameplay. It's not so bad on their vehicles but I don't like it on their infantry

It's partially why artillery meta is so prevalent right now in team games, which, again in my opinion, is also bad for gameplay.
PAGES (9)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS