Login

russian armor

Impact of smoke on AT grenades

13 Aug 2018, 00:53 AM

Sure, but in that case it would be a "no brainer," right?

No. Do you have a point or just trolling?
13 Aug 2018, 06:04 AM

No. Do you have a point or just trolling?

Wait so if you had a doctrine that had psshas, and had some cons, you wouldn't upgrade them?

Yes, that they are as no-brainer as an upgrade the same way any other AI weapon upgrade.
13 Aug 2018, 06:41 AM

PPSh are not braindead, they are useless on open maps and come in doctrines, meaning you need to make a choice of picking doctrine first, and doctrine you pick is reliant on map
Literally noone just autolocks doctrine with PPSh and spams them like STG Volks
13 Aug 2018, 09:44 AM

The fact that it comes in a doctrine has no bearing on its "braininess." No one, who has selected a doc with pssha cons thinks to themselves "You know what, I want my Conscripts to stick at long ranges so that they can continue to have mediocre damage, I wont upgrade them."

The PPSh upgrade makes your Conscripts better on paper but it also changes their role from green-cover troops to point blank troops. That's not desirable against every composition.

The STG upgrade is like the BAR: it's a flat buff without changing role. But given your munitions supply is finite even STGs and BARs are a strategic decision.
13 Aug 2018, 10:12 AM

Close thread please, this is derailed off topic.
13 Aug 2018, 11:03 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Aug 2018, 18:09 PMLago

The PPSh's damage drops off almost entirely beyond 10m range. If a PPSh Conscript squad fights outside of effectively melee range it's doing about half the damage of a normal Conscript squad.

That is not completely accurate.
Actually PPsh should not be used at melee range but at range 10 since it's DPS does not improve closer to 10, while most weapon get better DPS.

In addition PPsh has better DPS then mosin up to range 14.
13 Aug 2018, 12:30 PM

Any snare will hit the target if the animation starts before the vehicle gets hidden by the smoke. This (again) applies to all factions.
If a vehicle is hidden in the smoke, you cant target it so no snare possible.

So, end of discussion??? :D:nahnah::D
13 Aug 2018, 13:19 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Aug 2018, 11:03 AMVipper

That is not completely accurate.
Actually PPsh should not be used at melee range but at range 10 since it's DPS does not improve closer to 10, while most weapon get better DPS.

In addition PPsh has better DPS then mosin up to range 14.

Once the Point Blank mechanic fires that's melee range in my book. :P

Any snare will hit the target if the animation starts before the vehicle gets hidden by the smoke. This (again) applies to all factions.
If a vehicle is hidden in the smoke, you cant target it so no snare possible.

So, end of discussion??? :D:nahnah::D

This is about the corner case where the snaring squad can't see the vehicle but another unit can. As the player has LoS on the vehicle they can target the snare, but only SOV and UKF ones will actually fire.

Smoke between the vehicle and the squad is one way to achieve this, but sightblockers can do it too.
13 Aug 2018, 19:56 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Aug 2018, 13:19 PMLago

Once the Point Blank mechanic fires that's melee range in my book. :P

This is about the corner case where the snaring squad can't see the vehicle but another unit can. As the player has LoS on the vehicle they can target the snare, but only SOV and UKF ones will actually fire.

Smoke between the vehicle and the squad is one way to achieve this, but sightblockers can do it too.

Aaaaa, ok. Didn't know that.
14 Aug 2018, 12:15 PM

Panzer Tactician has always been bullshit imo, it was just the worst f***ing combination. Give a tank the ability to blitz speed and pop smoke just lead to the more infuriating games where an axis tank could fly in, kill shit and leave without any penalty. Allied armor could never do the same thing, it wasn't until USF was released a tank got smoke on it, and it's not used at all in the same manner. Your tank could be dead before the thing goes off and it's used to attack really no retreat.

Fausts are easily the best tank snare in the game, they'll be useful 99% of the time as allied tanks other than the AEC don't have an instant ninja smoke bomb.

By contrast if you let your tank get close enough for Penals to satchel it, you dun fucked up cause it's a REALLY short range.

I'll admit it's weird that some can toss AT and others can't. If anything it should maybe be like a flat 50% chance to miss.I do not want to see Panzer Tactician go back to being crazy like the old days but for balance sake I can agree it's odd that some can penetrate smoke and others can't.
14 Aug 2018, 13:59 PM

Is the snare thing maybe because the Faust is a direct fire weapon and all others are grenades at base? Like the ATRG was an aimed ability they made home in, same with the AT satchel. Know what I mean?
14 Aug 2018, 14:24 PM

Is the snare thing maybe because the Faust is a direct fire weapon and all others are grenades at base? Like the ATRG was an aimed ability they made home in, same with the AT satchel. Know what I mean?

I think you're right. It doesn't explain the UKF one not needing line-of-sight but if it's just cloned from the Soviet one codewise it'd have carried over.
14 Aug 2018, 15:45 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Aug 2018, 12:15 PMKharn

Fausts are easily the best tank snare in the game, they'll be useful 99% of the time as allied tanks other than the AEC don't have an instant ninja smoke bomb.

Sherman, Cromwell, Valentine, Comet. Also: It is not only about Smoke. Russian AT nades can also be used even if the squad itself has no LoS, Panzerfaust and Rifle snare can't

14 Aug 2018, 16:05 PM

Sherman, Cromwell, Valentine, Comet. Also: It is not only about Smoke. Russian AT nades can also be used even if the squad itself has no LoS, Panzerfaust and Rifle snare can't

By 'ninja smoke bomb' he means the dischargers that instantly envelop the vehicle. Panzer Tactician, the USF Utility Car, the UKF AEC and the OKW Puma are the only vehicles that can do that as far as I recall.

Sherman/Valentine smoke can be used for escapes but you've got to be proactive with it: it doesn't fire instantly and you can't drop it on the Sherman itself.

UKF smoke shells are pretty much useless for escapes.
14 Aug 2018, 18:41 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Aug 2018, 16:05 PMLago

By 'ninja smoke bomb' he means the dischargers that instantly envelop the vehicle. Panzer Tactician, the USF Utility Car, the UKF AEC and the OKW Puma are the only vehicles that can do that as far as I recall.

Sherman/Valentine smoke can be used for escapes but you've got to be proactive with it: it doesn't fire instantly and you can't drop it on the Sherman itself.

UKF smoke shells are pretty much useless for escapes.
okw flak trak too
15 Aug 2018, 00:43 AM

Was talking about non Doctrinal abilities. If we count doctrinal abilities in then even Penals can sprint.

So Allies having a "out of jail card" is fine but Axis not ?

Ironic that you say that because only 2 units in all 3 allied factions have a panzer tactician type smoke (AEC and sort of the normal churchill).
15 Aug 2018, 02:10 AM

Ironic that you say that because only 2 units in all 3 allied factions have a panzer tactician type smoke (AEC and sort of the normal churchill).

The Smokerounds of the Sherman, Cromwell, Comet , Valentine also work fine as an escape assistant
15 Aug 2018, 07:16 AM

The Smokerounds of the Sherman, Cromwell, Comet , Valentine also work fine as an escape assistant

Suuure they do, especially if you have all that time to stop, aim, fire/wait for lobbed projectile to land.

You really think that is on pair with instant ninja smoke bomb?
15 Aug 2018, 08:56 AM

The Sherman/Valentine smoke mortar can if you fire it behind you and reverse into it but it's much less responsive than a Panzer Tactician type smokescreen and it won't save you if you're snared.

The smoke rounds on the Cromwell and Comet though? Not a chance.
15 Aug 2018, 15:51 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Aug 2018, 07:16 AMKatitof

Suuure they do, especially if you have all that time to stop, aim, fire/wait for lobbed projectile to land.

You really think that is on pair with instant ninja smoke bomb?

Aren't Sherman and Valentine ones fireable on the move? (and Cromwells ones too?)
2 users are browsing this thread: 2 guests

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★