Login

russian armor

COH1 and COH2?

• This thread is locked
PAGES (3)down
14 Oct 2017, 13:28 PM

I strongly disagree, CoH was sold as a cake and had only Standalone expansions.

CoH2 has 2 expansions as well but riddled with DLC.

Ok so let me see if i get this right since i got COH1 as gift :P
The 1st Original COH1 give you wehrmacht and american factions and the invasion of normandy campaign(only 2 so,they call them Axis and Allies simple)
The 2nd one Opposing Fronts give you brit and panzer elite,with their own campaign(but you had purchase that to get those)
the 3rd and the final one Tales of Valor give you full access to all 4 factions as well as 3 short story campaign right?also customized unit in multiplayer(only had to buy the aother 2 for the campaign story).(Kind of like the COH2 collection edition)full package,i don't know if relic give COH1 player who buy the 1st one free access to all expansion content,if they don't then that just like coh2,those that buy the 1st COH2 still had to paid more for expansion stuff or play cheap and only buy the thing you like.
So i would said both game cake or piece ,it the same.You had to paid to play or wait for a few years then buy the collection edition when they done creating new stuff :P.Only different for me is COH2 is a more soild game with more new features.But COH1 did a better job at the story line campaign,even when it is short
14 Oct 2017, 13:36 PM

I started playing coh2 from the launch, but In the last 6 months i have actually tried out coh1.

Comparison
I find that Coh2 is much better in user interface, usability and graphics, so for gameplay experience coh2 is better. However i will say that i enjoy the meta, the faction design and the strategies of coh1 much more.

Meta
Coh2 meta isn't in a good place right now in my opinion, and this is compared to previous points of the COH2 life cycle. Fewer strategies are in play for coh2 imo which isn't fun and isn't an ideal point of balance. I don't think people are losing games in coh2 due to imbalance though, but i've never really felt it was that bad except for the days of the KOINSKUBELWAGEN patch(brad 4 kubel build).

Im specifically talking about penal spam and USF building like 5 infantry units to start off as the points that bug me within the meta. Also okw doesn't have many good units in the med truck.(lemme know if theres a super leet other plan i can do tho). Wher is good tho they can use like every unit except assgrens :romeoHype:. Also lots of commanders are useless for USF, soviets, UKF and Wher(to a lesser extent).

Compare this to Weapon support center OR rifle openings, the plethora of whermact openings in coh1, and all the different things PE can do or shift into and I prefer coh1 meta. Also none of the commanders are useless.

conclusion
COH1 meta is pretty fun and interesting IMO though so its worth playing for sure, but i still spend more time playing COH2

I love people like you :)
14 Oct 2017, 20:51 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Oct 2017, 13:28 PMCptOps
So i would said both game cake or piece ,it the same.You had to paid to play or wait for a few years then buy the collection edition when they done creating new stuff :P.Only different for me is COH2 is a more soild game with more new features.But COH1 did a better job at the story line campaign,even when it is short

Not the same because of commanders. COH1 had base game with all doctrines included, cheap expansion all doctrines included, and a little bit more P2W with ToV vehicles. Add all that up maybe $100 for everything (I'm assuming base game was $60 at one point). COH2 has $60 game + $20-30 for extra factions + a mega fuckton of $4 commanders.
14 Oct 2017, 23:13 PM
Developer Relic Badge

Compare this to Weapon support center OR rifle openings,

Don't get me wrong, but most of the openings I've seen in most vCoH revolved around the Rifles/Jeeps and changing whether you wanted your global inf upgrades or moving into tech.

WSC was literally a building solely for snipers and the odd mortar smoke considering Wehrmacht hardcountered it from just bikes and their own sniper while PE's encounter mechanized force would easily push it back.
14 Oct 2017, 23:38 PM

Don't get me wrong, but most of the openings I've seen in most vCoH revolved around the Rifles/Jeeps and changing whether you wanted your global inf upgrades or moving into tech.

WSC was literally a building solely for snipers and the odd mortar smoke considering Wehrmacht hardcountered it from just bikes and their own sniper while PE's encounter mechanized force would easily push it back.

4ES.

Though I'd agree WSC start was more of a 2v2 thing, 4ES could go into rax or WSC, especially against PE.
15 Oct 2017, 00:52 AM

I like coh 1 and appreciate it but it feels way to clunky nowadays for me.

This /thread.

CoH1 is fucking great, but after playing CoH2 I can't go back. The reverse button alone made the gameplay feel 100% better.
16 Oct 2017, 08:46 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Oct 2017, 13:28 PMCptOps

Ok so let me see if i get this right since i got COH1 as gift :P
The 1st Original COH1 give you wehrmacht and american factions and the invasion of normandy campaign(only 2 so,they call them Axis and Allies simple)
The 2nd one Opposing Fronts give you brit and panzer elite,with their own campaign(but you had purchase that to get those)
the 3rd and the final one Tales of Valor give you full access to all 4 factions as well as 3 short story campaign right?also customized unit in multiplayer(only had to buy the aother 2 for the campaign story).(Kind of like the COH2 collection edition)full package,i don't know if relic give COH1 player who buy the 1st one free access to all expansion content,if they don't then that just like coh2,those that buy the 1st COH2 still had to paid more for expansion stuff or play cheap and only buy the thing you like.

You're really too young to understand the basic logic behind selling a standalone expansion then.

CoH had 2 Armies and a long campaign.

Opposing Fronts had 2 Armies and 2 medium sized campaigns, also the first German campaign featured in any game really.

Tales of Valor gave you all 4 Armies, 3 mini short campaigns and 2 optional units for each Army, so the only thing you needed the other expansions here was for their campaigns.

However, those were FULL PACKAGES, not sliced into DLC.

In CoH 2 you have the base game which delivers 2 shitty Armies with a shitty long campaign and around 20 shitty commanders.

It's first expansion, the Western Front Armies gives you 2 arguably great Armies, no campaign, and 6 commanders in total our of which only 5 are good, nobody uses Airborne company as USF.

The British Forces gives you 1 Army, no campaign and 3 Commanders out of which only 1 is good, that being the Royal Engineers one.

Ardennes Assault gives you a campaign sort of like Dawn of War Dark Crusade and Soulstorm or the Total War game campaigns where you click on a territory to fight for and capture it, plus an optional 5 dollar OP company DLC for it to make things easier, no multiplayer content.

Then you have the large amounts of skins and premium commanders that are 5 dollars a piece.

If that sounds fair and good business to you then we have nothing more to talk about, it's just that your age is showing really badly and what acceptable to you is really twisted.
16 Oct 2017, 09:09 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Oct 2017, 00:52 AMzerocoh

This /thread.

CoH1 is fucking great, but after playing CoH2 I can't go back. The reverse button alone made the gameplay feel 100% better.

Absolutely...
Some months ago I reinstalled vCoH and while it was nostalgic and all, there were a LOT of things I was missing from part two:

- You can't see an MG's/PaK's arch once it was setup
- You can't see/change the direction an MG is facing in a building
- You can't give capping orders via the minimap
- The unit selection is just one big bunch of all units
- Cannot see the units a team mate is building
- As said before, no drive back button
- No refresh all squads selected (you have to go through every single unit and click R or the + Icon multiple times)
- All vehicles/AT guns are simply a triangle on the minimap
- No jumping over fences, ect
- No "shoot vehicles only" options on AT Guns / Tank Hunters
- No indicator how far a sniper can shoot

Writing this post showed me how many UX improvements CoH2 really made.
16 Oct 2017, 11:59 AM
Referee Badge

Absolutely...
Some months ago I reinstalled vCoH and while it was nostalgic and all, there were a LOT of things I was missing from part two:

- No refresh all squads selected (you have to go through every single unit and click R or the + Icon multiple times)

If you sum up all of this in 2 words it would be "noob friendly" :bananadance:
16 Oct 2017, 17:04 PM

Absolutely...

not an issue
COH2 was the same for 2-3 years, also good players don't put MG in buildings in COH1 anyway
so? Tact map
dunno what you mean
grasping at straws on minor things
only problem is the U key for reverse is retarded, almost just as easy to shift click 3 times
another decent change, but you're overstating how hard it was in coh1. tab+r+r+r+r+tab+r+r+r.... took 3 seconds
but they weren't in the tactical map, and COH1s tactical map was far superior
vaulting completely ruins aggressive MG play in the early game, the only redeeming factor about vaulting is using it to counter autistic overuse of fences in most coh2 maps
good change
not important

You left out the best change COH2 makes and that is units continue firing at the same target while giving move orders and don't revert back to their standard target priorities. But COH1 also has much better visual alerts (like the red "unit sniped" box), COH2 does a terrible job of that. And don't forget COH1 runs butter smooth, COH2 fps slows late game on even the best PCs. All in all the games break fairly even as far as quality of life goes.
16 Oct 2017, 17:09 PM

Lol people here flaming me for UX (!!!) improvements only because they want to see vCoH as their superior game are simply ridiculous.

vCoH was great and still things like the possibility to refresh all squads at once are NICE TO HAVE which means it makes the game more enjoyable. More micro is not always better.
16 Oct 2017, 17:26 PM

Lol people here flaming me for UX (!!!) improvements only because they want to see vCoH as their superior game are simply ridiculous.

vCoH was great and still things like the possibility to refresh all squads at once are NICE TO HAVE which means it makes the game more enjoyable. More micro is not always better.

What you (and not just you, other people have said this) are saying is "COH1 is great...but its UI etc. is so outdated its less playable." Well most of the differences do not make the game any more user friendly, some of them are useful, and in some ways the game goes backwards. Can you micro vehicles a bit better with reverse button? Yes. Does 35fps and micro stutters on even a high end rig simultaneously interfere with microing vehicles? Yes. If that triggers you, tough shit.

16 Oct 2017, 19:59 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Can you micro vehicles a bit better with reverse button?

Much better.

Does 35fps and micro stutters on even a high end rig simultaneously interfere with microing vehicles?

No.

They game has lower fps than it should, but it's not to a level that interferes with basic gameplay.
16 Oct 2017, 20:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Oct 2017, 19:59 PMTobis

Much better.

No.

They game has lower fps than it should, but it's not to a level that interferes with basic gameplay.

There has always been a degree of input and especially mouse and command lag that I can't discount as user end fault.

The performance rate drop off is exponential as you approach a computer optimized for a 2013/2014 game.

I have never been able to get coh2 to run on anything but the worst settings, part of that is on my end because I haven't invested in a high end competitive gaming rig since coh2 was released... which was built specifically for coh2's release.

Grats to those who don't have performance issues with coh2. But the bar is very high to get coh2 to run nicely, and far above what can get your average user to try, let alone stick around, coh2s multiplayer environment.

So sure, it doesn't affect player micro because those players affected don't stick around for long.
16 Oct 2017, 22:21 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

There has always been a degree of input and especially mouse and command lag that I can't discount as user end fault.

The performance rate drop off is exponential as you approach a computer optimized for a 2013/2014 game.

I have never been able to get coh2 to run on anything but the worst settings, part of that is on my end because I haven't invested in a high end competitive gaming rig since coh2 was released... which was built specifically for coh2's release.

Grats to those who don't have performance issues with coh2. But the bar is very high to get coh2 to run nicely, and far above what can get your average user to try, let alone stick around, coh2s multiplayer environment.

So sure, it doesn't affect player micro because those players affected don't stick around for long.

I used to play on a 650 ti boost and a 3rd gen i3. I honestly never had any problems with no AA and a few other settings turned down. I used this all the way up to last year. Sometimes the game has worse input lag than normal, I don't think it's hardware related.

I'm not saying the game runs well. I would definitely expect a higher framerate on my current hardware than what I get, but acting like it actually hinders gameplay is just wrong.
16 Oct 2017, 23:23 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Oct 2017, 22:21 PMTobis

I used to play on a 650 ti boost and a 3rd gen i3. I honestly never had any problems with no AA and a few other settings turned down. I used this all the way up to last year. Sometimes the game has worse input lag than normal, I don't think it's hardware related.

I'm not saying the game runs well. I would definitely expect a higher framerate on my current hardware than what I get, but acting like it actually hinders gameplay is just wrong.

We can agree to disagree on this, but for me, low framerates makes it really hard for me to keep track of what's going on the screen.

But regardless I think "worse input lag than normal" hindering gameplay is not at all "just wrong".

Afterthought: Wasn't it also about last year that you started participating in tournaments? Would you have, or did you even, compete on that old rig?

For me my end-user performance is, and has always been, the largest barrier for me to maintain competitive spirit outside of a group of people who I interact with closely enough to physically punch if I have to. :P
17 Oct 2017, 01:00 AM

It's better if you've played it first and played it a long time. Same goes for others, Supreme Commander Forged Alliance is better for many people than Supreme Commander 2 for example, Dawn of War is better than 2 and 3 for many people again. But I guess you'd need to be the older 2nd generation of gamers to really appreciate it.

Dawn of War 2 is ten times better than Dawn of War 1, that's coming from me who has played the game since Dawn of War 1 ages.

And today, I still value CoH1 than CoH2.

Players have their own judgement. Nostagia means nothing (otherwise, people here would rate RA2 or Starcraft over CoH games).
17 Oct 2017, 04:04 AM

CoH1 is to CoH2 what SC1 is to SC2:

CoH1 / SC1 are both deeper, more strategic, and better designed games
COH2 / SC2 are both "prettier", and hold your hand while you play

But if you're man enough to play a game with no reverse key or capture on minimap then CoH1 wins :snfPeter:
17 Oct 2017, 15:51 PM

Overall, I prefer CoH 2, but what I liked better about CoH 1 was...

1) ...the doctrines. Each had a unique character and theme and none felt generic and boring, like the oldest doctrines of Soviets and Wehr in CoH 2.
2) ...the darker atmosphere - like dirtier uniforms and so on (with the exception of Grenadiers, that model was the worst Relic ever made).
Also, the germans felt more german somehow. I think it's because they had their red flags hanging all over their bases, their buildings were all concrete bunkers and there was red alarm lights on structures. I prefered that.
17 Oct 2017, 16:09 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Oct 2017, 11:59 AMKaos

If you sum up all of this in 2 words it would be "noob friendly" :bananadance:

HAHA, made my day :D

In my opinion, CoH 1 is much better game.

Strategic better game, and u need much more micro in high level play!
PAGES (3)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS