Login

russian armor

COH1 and COH2?

• This thread is locked
PAGES (3)down
23 Sep 2017, 03:39 AM

So i am here to ask what do you think.Many people recommended COH1 for me(i had played the game)but what they did made me sick and never want to go back there again,that and i love COH2 more :P.
Is COH1 really better then COH2? doesn't seem so to me,unless some player are used to this once over the other but that still don't give them the right to talk shit about the other game.Every time dlc,unbalanced?,COH1 is sooo good and COH2 is shit i just don't get why,pain me to see such review for no reason
2 game had the same DLC system,as for balance i think COH2 as this point don't had any major OP that you can't dealt with,only different is that COH2 had more features and improve on graphic,and gameplay.
Funny fact the people that said COH1 is soo good compare to COH2 which is trash when the game had 1000 avg compare to 5000avg i am a simple guy so that saying alot for me.
So what about you guy anyonce here love playing COH but doesn't treat COH2 like shit because of that?
P.S the only thing that is better in COH1 is that MG range and surpessing is soooo funny haha :D
23 Sep 2017, 03:53 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Coh1 is "balanced" in that the vanilla factions can fight each other competitively. The meta game has been solved at this point, so it's all about who outplays the other player. Everybody knows the buildorders and what will counter it, now it's all about the execution.

Alot of the love for coh1 comes from nostalgia, but that doesn't mean there aren't a lot of stuff done better. Faction design, the commander system, the resource system, map layout, veterancy system were all better. People still talk about them because they are still good. People hoped CoH2 would improve and reach for these ideals. It wont happen now.

I don't think coh1 is a better game now though. Coh2 has matured and come a long way since release. CoH2 was a piece of trash on release, that soured the opinion of many vcoh veterans. Since all the improvements to things like squad spacing and unit control in egagements the game has become a lot more fluid. Coh2 has also finally got rid of most of the fucking annoying and frustrating units. vCoH snipers give me AIDS.
23 Sep 2017, 04:10 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Sep 2017, 03:53 AMTobis
Coh1 is "balanced" in that the vanilla factions can fight each other competitively. The meta game has been solved at this point, so it's all about who outplays the other player. Everybody knows the buildorders and what will counter it, now it's all about the execution.

Alot of the love for coh1 comes from nostalgia, but that doesn't mean there aren't a lot of stuff done better. Faction design, the commander system, the resource system, map layout, veterancy system were all better. People still talk about them because they are still good. People hoped CoH2 would improve and reach for these ideals. It wont happen now.

I don't think coh1 is a better game now though. Coh2 has matured and come a long way since release. CoH2 was a piece of trash on release, that soured the opinion of many vcoh veterans. Since all the improvements to things like squad spacing and unit control in egagements the game has become a lot more fluid. Coh2 has also finally got rid of most of the fucking annoying and frustrating units. vCoH snipers give me AIDS.

CoH2 factions can't fight each other competitively? i mean there is a faction showdown clock on my screen right now
Faction design seem the same to me.
Commander system COH1 limited you to 3 but i do love blitzkrieg doctrine but they had mechanized assault and those are pretty much alike
Resource system well i love that in COH2 general point give you fuel and munitions and fuel income it way lesser then in COH1 it feel like if not then again no big different
Map layout ehhhhhhhh can't tell at all
Veterancy system you had to agree with me that COh2 do a better job at this.German can upgrade vertancy with 1 building while rifleman take allday to vet up to 2,ranger don't even vet at all.Brit "more lieutenant lad the more the better for our ventancy" lol,Panzer elite vet up so easily.
Oh and btw arty in COH1 you can't dodge it most of the time Hans shown me this.
I love estern mod but now mostly just watch it from my COH2 caster sometimes.But why no 88gun in coh2 why do we get the pak 43 WHYYYYY
COH2 is shit at release well i didn't know that,those IGN guy must had played the game a while after release to score the game that high 8,4/10
23 Sep 2017, 20:40 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Sep 2017, 04:10 AMCptOps

CoH2 factions can't fight each other competitively? i mean there is a faction showdown clock on my screen right now
Faction design seem the same to me.
Commander system COH1 limited you to 3 but i do love blitzkrieg doctrine but they had mechanized assault and those are pretty much alike
Resource system well i love that in COH2 general point give you fuel and munitions and fuel income it way lesser then in COH1 it feel like if not then again no big different
Map layout ehhhhhhhh can't tell at all
Veterancy system you had to agree with me that COh2 do a better job at this.German can upgrade vertancy with 1 building while rifleman take allday to vet up to 2,ranger don't even vet at all.Brit "more lieutenant lad the more the better for our ventancy" lol,Panzer elite vet up so easily.
Oh and btw arty in COH1 you can't dodge it most of the time Hans shown me this.
I love estern mod but now mostly just watch it from my COH2 caster sometimes.But why no 88gun in coh2 why do we get the pak 43 WHYYYYY
COH2 is shit at release well i didn't know that,those IGN guy must had played the game a while after release to score the game that high 8,4/10

Holy fuck learn to use sentences or something. IGN ranking irrelevant since they rate the game as a newcomer and not as a returning competitive player. Maybe someone that never tasted COH before will have their mind blown, to people that played the prequel its the same formula with a bit of regression. The doctrine system and the global upgrades (yes Wehr vet included) are some of the bigger issues that made COH2 not as good. The balance and pacing has ebbed and flowed over the years but those two things are huge design flaws that plagued COH2 since day 1.
24 Sep 2017, 06:41 AM
24 Sep 2017, 07:15 AM

It's better if you've played it first and played it a long time. Same goes for others, Supreme Commander Forged Alliance is better for many people than Supreme Commander 2 for example, Dawn of War is better than 2 and 3 for many people again. But I guess you'd need to be the older 2nd generation of gamers to really appreciate it. And I say 2nd since the first had games like Total annihilation, StarCraft and Age of Empires, while I didn't know or see any of those games until I just turned into a teen, well StarCraft I played when I was 2nd grade but I think it still counts. Dawn of War, age of Mythology, and all those games in the early 2000s is when the 2nd generation picked up. You guys that started late 2000s picked up the shit that was DLC money grabbing and passed out on the old classics.
24 Sep 2017, 09:03 AM

Holy fuck learn to use sentences or something.

Holy fuck, not everybody is a highly educated like you USA folks (being sarcastic here).
Maybe you should try to speak his native language and better, try to write correctly.
So chill.

On topic.

vCOH was good, maybe the best RTS Game ever, but now it's out of date.
COH2 is a very solid game. It could be better but no one is perfect.
24 Sep 2017, 12:42 PM

If you like 1v1, I can't find any reason I would pick CoH2 over CoH1. CoH1 is lightyears ahead in that regard.

If you like 3v3/4v4, stick with CoH2. That's because of CoH1's poor map pool (enormous maps with 0 cover), no way to queue up as arranged teams and the fact that CoH1 pacing simply doesn't work when you have other players covering for you (e.g,. sniper blobs).

For 2v2, you have to pick your poison; CoH1 sniper abuse vs CoH2 OKW/Brits.

CoH2 has had, up-to so far the "unfair" advantage of receiving semi-regular updates that helped scramble up the meta. Even though there have been amazing patches to the game (e.g., the pre-Brit one), the game has always felt lacking in one way or another after WFA armies were introduced (I don't know what CoH2 was like before WFA; DLC commander meta was too disgusting for me to bother with the game).

With respect to strategic diversity, CoH1 had global upgrades that you had to account for. CoH2 tried to have some strategic diversity added with non-linear teching. Unfortunately, non-linear teching simply doesn't work when half of the tiers are outright unviable (or with no synergy with the core faction), and the other half only allows for limited variations of the same build order.

This leaves most CoH2 factions with half of their tech tree being completely useless. Strategic diversity came with patches mixing up the meta and forcing people to try out the other tiers. Without updates, CoH2 meta becomes stale as fuck pretty quickly.

If you ever plan on moving from CoH2 to CoH1, you might, initially, miss some UI and QoL updates. However you certainly won't miss CoH2 robotic squad behaviour or CoH2-style garrisons. Tank battles are a question of taste mostly, but I have always found CoH1's deflection and critical-oriented system way more interesting and fun than CoH2's penetration system.

7 Oct 2017, 07:34 AM

If you like 1v1, I can't find any reason I would pick CoH2 over CoH1. CoH1 is lightyears ahead in that regard.

If you like 3v3/4v4, stick with CoH2. That's because of CoH1's poor map pool (enormous maps with 0 cover), no way to queue up as arranged teams and the fact that CoH1 pacing simply doesn't work when you have other players covering for you (e.g,. sniper blobs).

For 2v2, you have to pick your poison; CoH1 sniper abuse vs CoH2 OKW/Brits.

CoH2 has had, up-to so far the "unfair" advantage of receiving semi-regular updates that helped scramble up the meta. Even though there have been amazing patches to the game (e.g., the pre-Brit one), the game has always felt lacking in one way or another after WFA armies were introduced (I don't know what CoH2 was like before WFA; DLC commander meta was too disgusting for me to bother with the game).

With respect to strategic diversity, CoH1 had global upgrades that you had to account for. CoH2 tried to have some strategic diversity added with non-linear teching. Unfortunately, non-linear teching simply doesn't work when half of the tiers are outright unviable (or with no synergy with the core faction), and the other half only allows for limited variations of the same build order.

This leaves most CoH2 factions with half of their tech tree being completely useless. Strategic diversity came with patches mixing up the meta and forcing people to try out the other tiers. Without updates, CoH2 meta becomes stale as fuck pretty quickly.

If you ever plan on moving from CoH2 to CoH1, you might, initially, miss some UI and QoL updates. However you certainly won't miss CoH2 robotic squad behaviour or CoH2-style garrisons. Tank battles are a question of taste mostly, but I have always found CoH1's deflection and critical-oriented system way more interesting and fun than CoH2's penetration system.

I won't miss coh1 robot squad when my guy keep running out of cover and into the front of the enemy.
1vs1 i don't feel like Axis upgrade full vertancy for their unit with one building is lightyears ahead unless ware talking about in the far future soldiers can just upgrade their vertancy instead of learning it or the fact that 2 officer made you squad better then 1.
CoH2-style garrisons? what the different,again tank battle the same in both game,only exception is that in Coh2 they had abandon+decrew,and had the FULL reverse mode.Honestly i can't tell the different.
I moved from 1to2 and mostly enjoy 2 more then 1 :) but people can love the game they want ,i had no problem with that but why do they had to talk trash about Coh2 when coh1 online community is barely alive.
7 Oct 2017, 07:38 AM

It's better if you've played it first and played it a long time. Same goes for others, Supreme Commander Forged Alliance is better for many people than Supreme Commander 2 for example, Dawn of War is better than 2 and 3 for many people again. But I guess you'd need to be the older 2nd generation of gamers to really appreciate it. And I say 2nd since the first had games like Total annihilation, StarCraft and Age of Empires, while I didn't know or see any of those games until I just turned into a teen, well StarCraft I played when I was 2nd grade but I think it still counts. Dawn of War, age of Mythology, and all those games in the early 2000s is when the 2nd generation picked up. You guys that started late 2000s picked up the shit that was DLC money grabbing and passed out on the old classics.

Yeah i can get why i never play any 1st game,but serious every RTS game you had to paid money to play.As for the DLC no one forced me to buy any of them and i still enjoy RTS without those thing.
7 Oct 2017, 07:49 AM

Holy fuck learn to use sentences or something. IGN ranking irrelevant since they rate the game as a newcomer and not as a returning competitive player. Maybe someone that never tasted COH before will have their mind blown, to people that played the prequel its the same formula with a bit of regression. The doctrine system and the global upgrades (yes Wehr vet included) are some of the bigger issues that made COH2 not as good. The balance and pacing has ebbed and flowed over the years but those two things are huge design flaws that plagued COH2 since day 1.

I used line to state my points,are you having trouble understanding them?
8 Oct 2017, 06:34 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Oct 2017, 07:38 AMCptOps

Yeah i can get why i never play any 1st game,but serious every RTS game you had to paid money to play.As for the DLC no one forced me to buy any of them and i still enjoy RTS without those thing.

Well it's logical to buy a game first in order to play it, there are no F2P RTS games, thing is, expansions are like an extension to a pie or a cake, DLC are small pieces of a pie. When you order a cake for a birtbday, do you order a whole cake or just pieces of a cake? This is of course just an example.

But yeah, try out the first games, you may find you like them more than the 2nd ones, I know that I have been like that in most cases.
8 Oct 2017, 09:16 AM

Hey Guys

I really recommend newer players that never tried the original company of heroes to give it a shoot!
It is still bloody well made and both fun to watch & play !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3Okw99tUwk

Sure you will be alittle butthurt if you go strait to automatch but you will get over it once you inject the the first needle or two.... :gimpy:

thumbs up for coh1
8 Oct 2017, 15:31 PM

Arguing with this OP seems pointless. Obviously incapable of having an intelligent or constructive conversation.
9 Oct 2017, 17:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Oct 2017, 15:31 PMNosliw
Arguing with this OP seems pointless. Obviously incapable of having an intelligent or constructive conversation.

Sure if that how you feel then just leave ,atleast i haven't insulted anyone Mr.Intelligent.
9 Oct 2017, 17:34 PM

Hey Guys

I really recommend newer players that never tried the original company of heroes to give it a shoot!
It is still bloody well made and both fun to watch & play !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3Okw99tUwk

Sure you will be alittle butthurt if you go strait to automatch but you will get over it once you inject the the first needle or two.... :gimpy:

thumbs up for coh1

I play CoH1 then switch to CoH2 later,i didn't said that the 1st was bad,it is well done,the thing that i don't get it why when it come to 2 so many salt was throw at it,i don't know about the beta phases of the game but right now it is a pretty soild game that imporve and add future to the CoH series.
9 Oct 2017, 17:37 PM

Well it's logical to buy a game first in order to play it, there are no F2P RTS games, thing is, expansions are like an extension to a pie or a cake, DLC are small pieces of a pie. When you order a cake for a birtbday, do you order a whole cake or just pieces of a cake? This is of course just an example.

But yeah, try out the first games, you may find you like them more than the 2nd ones, I know that I have been like that in most cases.

Still i enjoy the game with only 2 armies not like i had to paid the full collector's bundle to enjoy the game.
Both game you had to purchase DLC to get more features so it doesn't really had anything to do with 1st or 2cd.But ofc some older game are better then their new sibling.
11 Oct 2017, 17:31 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Oct 2017, 17:37 PMCptOps

Still i enjoy the game with only 2 armies not like i had to paid the full collector's bundle to enjoy the game.
Both game you had to purchase DLC to get more features so it doesn't really had anything to do with 1st or 2cd.But ofc some older game are better then their new sibling.

I strongly disagree, CoH was sold as a cake and had only Standalone expansions.

CoH2 has 2 expansions as well but riddled with DLC.
11 Oct 2017, 17:35 PM

I like coh 1 and appreciate it but it feels way to clunky nowadays for me.
11 Oct 2017, 18:07 PM

I started playing coh2 from the launch, but In the last 6 months i have actually tried out coh1.

Comparison
I find that Coh2 is much better in user interface, usability and graphics, so for gameplay experience coh2 is better. However i will say that i enjoy the meta, the faction design and the strategies of coh1 much more.

Meta
Coh2 meta isn't in a good place right now in my opinion, and this is compared to previous points of the COH2 life cycle. Fewer strategies are in play for coh2 imo which isn't fun and isn't an ideal point of balance. I don't think people are losing games in coh2 due to imbalance though, but i've never really felt it was that bad except for the days of the KOINSKUBELWAGEN patch(brad 4 kubel build).

Im specifically talking about penal spam and USF building like 5 infantry units to start off as the points that bug me within the meta. Also okw doesn't have many good units in the med truck.(lemme know if theres a super leet other plan i can do tho). Wher is good tho they can use like every unit except assgrens :romeoHype:. Also lots of commanders are useless for USF, soviets, UKF and Wher(to a lesser extent).

Compare this to Weapon support center OR rifle openings, the plethora of whermact openings in coh1, and all the different things PE can do or shift into and I prefer coh1 meta. Also none of the commanders are useless.

conclusion
COH1 meta is pretty fun and interesting IMO though so its worth playing for sure, but i still spend more time playing COH2
PAGES (3)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS