Login

russian armor

Squad-ai, Yes or No.

7 Aug 2017, 19:45 PM

The best example are squads with AT weapons. Assume a tank is cruising around the edge of their AT range and you want them to engage the tank. However, since your units will first run for cover (even in the opposite direction of the tank) the tank will have time to get out and you squad will never fire a shot. It's the same problem we had with the Captain against tanks.

CQB units are very similiar, you want them to deliver their full firepower as soon as possible before the enemy pulls out. That hardly works with your Shocks running for cover first. These units are specifically not made for cover mechanics, they are the counter to units in cover.

The general problem is how the automatic seeking cover mechanic causes very frustrating delays or even setbacks such as running back or away from the enemy.

I want my units to do exactly what they are told to do. When I tell them to attack a specific unit, I don't want them to run around and seek cover, I want them to attack this specific unit right now because of a specific reason. (for example when my long range units are being approached by cqb units. Then I want those cqb units dead as soon as possible before they reach the point where they dominate my troops instead.)

Basically, what you want to, is:
- Your units to instantly fire the moment you want them to
- Your units to disperse over time, so that they are not easy pickings for indirect fire

What you want to is a better squad-ai plan than the one we were forced to use for ages.

The good news is that all of this is configurable. The bad news is that the final oomph has to be undertaken by relic, due to modding tools being locked.
7 Aug 2017, 19:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Aug 2017, 19:23 PMLugie

Could you please elaborate on why you think its a no?

IIRC squads used to passively seek cover even when out of combat which resulted in some maps units running out of cap circles for cover. That was indeed frustrating, but was definitely within the realms of being fixed. Outright removal happened instead.

But I should also mention that i remember truesight made for some interesting outcomes though, as cover might result in infantry diving behind a sight/shot blocker and staying there. I remember minsk pocket being problematic for that reason way back when. I'd recommend that map for testing this.
7 Aug 2017, 20:05 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

The best example are squads with AT weapons. Assume a tank is cruising around the edge of their AT range and you want them to engage the tank. However, since your units will first run for cover (even in the opposite direction of the tank) the tank will have time to get out and you squad will never fire a shot. It's the same problem we had with the Captain against tanks.

CQB units are very similiar, you want them to deliver their full firepower as soon as possible before the enemy pulls out. That hardly works with your Shocks running for cover first. These units are specifically not made for cover mechanics, they are the counter to units in cover.

The general problem is how the automatic seeking cover mechanic causes very frustrating delays or even setbacks such as running back or away from the enemy.

I want my units to do exactly what they are told to do. When I tell them to attack a specific unit, I don't want them to run around and seek cover, I want them to attack this specific unit right now because of a specific reason. (for example when my long range units are being approached by cqb units. Then I want those cqb units dead as soon as possible before they reach the point where they dominate my troops instead.)

Me and Mr. Smith were talking about exactly that. If we could mod the squad-ai, we could easily make it so that units can fire a few shots before looking for cover. It's also possible to make only support weapons (MG's and AT Weapons) fire a few shots before searching for cover, if that is deemed better than giving the whole unit a pause.
7 Aug 2017, 21:19 PM

I think it's a really cool idea, especially if you guys are able to fine-tune it. Cheers.
7 Aug 2017, 23:52 PM
Donator 11

Basically, what you want to, is:
- Your units to instantly fire the moment you want them to
- Your units to disperse over time, so that they are not easy pickings for indirect fire

What you want to is a better squad-ai plan than the one we were forced to use for ages.

The good news is that all of this is configurable. The bad news is that the final oomph has to be undertaken by relic, due to modding tools being locked.

As you guys make another succesful ballance preview for relic, they should really give the ballance team access to full version of tools.
8 Aug 2017, 09:43 AM

As you guys make another succesful ballance preview for relic, they should really give the ballance team access to full version of tools.

It's a question of modding tool platform limitations. There's a crapload of super-important files that have been locked down from being modified.

Even if we found a way to modify those files, there's no way to distribute the changes for people to test the changes, give feedback and adjust. Thus, for as long as those files remain locked, Relic has to act as the middle-man. This means that we are bound by pauses between patch cycles, etc.
8 Aug 2017, 19:25 PM
Donator 11

It's a question of modding tool platform limitations. There's a crapload of super-important files that have been locked down from being modified.

Even if we found a way to modify those files, there's no way to distribute the changes for people to test the changes, give feedback and adjust. Thus, for as long as those files remain locked, Relic has to act as the middle-man. This means that we are bound by pauses between patch cycles, etc.

The question is whether or not these super important files can be delivered with a mod. If so, then relic should update their platform to allow you to pack your changes in the preview. If not, then how do we test relic changes before going live?
8 Aug 2017, 19:42 PM
8 Aug 2017, 20:40 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

There's times I would want it, and times I wouldn't want it. I think it's only practical if there is some sort of toggle. I don't want to tell my sniper to shoot and have him decide to dive into cover instead.

Is it possible to make it so it will only activate if the unit hasn't received in order in say, 10 seconds? Would fix the the silliness of missing a squad and having them stand in the open being mowed down. I see it more as a useful crutch for lack of fine tuned player control, in situations where it isn't needed. The leapfrogging on move orders is a useful and pretty cool feature, that would be completely unreasonable to expect a player to do. Just need to balance it out in a way that doesn't interfere with orders. I would love something like ctrl+click as an order with different movement mechanics.
8 Aug 2017, 20:52 PM

Squad AI in this fashion has huge implications for mgs and mortars. Squads won't get as much AOE suppression and mortar and tank shells won't always have clumped targets to blast apart.

I fear that this game has had so many direct tweaks to unit combat performances, especially recently, that squad ai will be rejected because so much of the game has been balanced around a broken set of scales.
A_E
8 Aug 2017, 21:02 PM
Lead Caster Badge
Donator 11

To be honest the amount of improvement that units actually standing behind the fucking cover they're meant to fucking stand behind™ had brought to CoH2 since it was altered has improved gameplay responsiveness and importance of cover tremendously unfortunately at an expense of aesthetics.

Is there any way we can strike a nice balance between the two, and just re-introduce a small measure of squad AI?
8 Aug 2017, 22:02 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Aug 2017, 21:02 PMA_E
To be honest the amount of improvement that units actually standing behind the fucking cover they're meant to fucking stand behind™ had brought to CoH2 since it was altered has improved gameplay responsiveness and importance of cover tremendously unfortunately at an expense of aesthetics.

Is there any way we can strike a nice balance between the two, and just re-introduce a small measure of squad AI?

I believe there is a prioritization that can be made for types of cover at least. It could be made so squads only seek green cover or avoid red cover by ai, but not for yellow or open cover.

I'll have to wait til the weekend to test this ai anyway, let alone see what could be done with it.
8 Aug 2017, 23:26 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

I believe there is a prioritization that can be made for types of cover at least. It could be made so squads only seek green cover or avoid red cover by ai, but not for yellow or open cover.

I'll have to wait til the weekend to test this ai anyway, let alone see what could be done with it.

That is possible by changing the safety values of different cover in ebps. Making it so that light cover is the same as open would make it so that the ai does not differentiate between the two.
8 Aug 2017, 23:28 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

It is possible to make it so that units do stand behind the fucking cover they're meant to fucking stand behind™ by tweaking/removing the retaliation plan. In I.A.C, I did this with disciplined units (tier 2 and up) so they would hold their ground no matter what.
9 Aug 2017, 00:21 AM

LOL??

If you don't like it, play starcraft, CnC or literally every(!!!!!!) other RTS there is out there
9 Aug 2017, 07:40 AM

LOL??

If you don't like it, play starcraft, CnC or literally every(!!!!!!) other RTS there is out there

9 Aug 2017, 14:12 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Aug 2017, 20:40 PMTobis
There's times I would want it, and times I wouldn't want it. I think it's only practical if there is some sort of toggle. I don't want to tell my sniper to shoot and have him decide to dive into cover instead.

Is it possible to make it so it will only activate if the unit hasn't received in order in say, 10 seconds? Would fix the the silliness of missing a squad and having them stand in the open being mowed down. I see it more as a useful crutch for lack of fine tuned player control, in situations where it isn't needed. The leapfrogging on move orders is a useful and pretty cool feature, that would be completely unreasonable to expect a player to do. Just need to balance it out in a way that doesn't interfere with orders. I would love something like ctrl+click as an order with different movement mechanics.

Squad-AI is modular.

For each of the following cases, the squad uses a different AI file:
- Attacking
- Being attacked while idle
- Being hit by a grenade/flamers
- Being pinned

Moreover, different squads can entirely different AI files.

Moreover, you can further break down squad-AI reactions to formation elements (left flank, right flank, core element and scout element). According to Lugie, you can also finetune it for support weapons (e.g., bazookas, piats, etc).

So yeah; if squad-AI were to be reintroduced, precision stuff (e.g., snipers) should be doing exactly what they are told; bazookas should fire instantly on the target the moment you tell them to.

Currently, there's only two squad-ai files left in the game:
- Dumb AI, that does nothing (live version)
- Squad AI that forces members to seek cover, if they aren't behind cover already (you can preview it at the Revamp mod, currently)

The kind of AI that remains is the pre-change Guards AI that was causing guards to dance a bit on-right click, if they weren't behind cover. Guards AI worked fine if the squad was already behind cover. That way, if you properly microed your squad behind cover before opening fire, you wouldn't get any reaction penalties.

The reason why Guards AI was bad however, was because Guards were the only squad singled out to suffer from it. Every other squad could a-move with their LMGs and ignore this out-of-cover reaction penalty. Around the same time when shitty-PTRS Guards would be forced to dance before most engagements we had:
- Super-lethal light vehicles, that needed to be killed, or would kill you
- Unrealistic expectations from the Volks-schreck blob that was annihilating tanks with two-volleys

Also, the fact that you could completely circumvent the dance by pressing 'Stop', which creates an enormous performance gap for those that know-the-trick and those that don't. Then it becomes a question of: how are you supposed to use your dancing squad to fight vs terminator robots on the other side? The easy answer is remove squad-AI (but that spawns other issues). The better answer is fix squad-ai and plug the gaps that allow people to skip performance loss when caught, e.g., out of cover.

While it might sound like a great idea to allow squads to engage targets instantly at all times, it really is not. This line of reasoning is in-line with upping repair speeds, so that there's less downtime for tanks, or adding Forward Retreat Points everywhere, so that there's less downtime for infantry to get back on the game.

The only thing that's bad is those squads jumping out of cover and getting murdered/suppressed/etc; but that can be fixed.

Schreck blobs could have been a completely different story if the guys were forced to seek cover before firing their Schrecks (still wouldn't beat bad design, but they would be way more bearable).

Without Relic's involvement, it's an all or nothing; we either use dumb AI or the silly guards-troops-AI. With minimum involvement from Relic, however (e.g., "We have prepared a few squad-ai files; could you upload them to your game so that we can test them?"), we can do a whole lot more.

For instance, we can do funky stuff, e.g., requiring that only elite squads are allowed to have instant reactions and make non-elite squads waste their initiative if they were not behind cover. We can make it so that support weapons can fire some potshots before hitting cover, or we can do the inverse to punish A-moving upgraded squads.

The reason people hated squad AI in CoH2 was because it was built with the wrong goals in mind. A good squad-Ai should last long enough (e.g., CoH1 had something like 30-second plans), and avoid completely taking over the squad at the beginning of the engagement (especially for close-combat squads).

CoH2 squad AI did the exact opposite of that; made those penalties apply only to specific forgotten squads (e.g., Guards/Captain/Shocks) and, of course people asked for it to get removed.

FYI you can access the contents of squadAI files using the archive viewer on the Data archive of the live game. You will see that most plans have been neutered to be identical and contain almost nothing.

You can use whichever plan with whichever situation you want (e.g., nothing prevents you from using an attack file as an idle plan, except that your troops will probably not behave the way you want them to.

Lugie knows how to extract data from CoH1 using Corsix. If Relic would allow us to, we could pick battle pans from CoH1 and adapt them for CoH2 (e.g., to avoid unnecessary jumping-out-of-cover).
10 Aug 2017, 12:40 PM

Coh1 horrible AI running around all the time, just hug the flippin wall!
Huddle around a single tree XD
Single trees are meant for snipers and max three man squads.
Why do you think the sov sandbag is so big, stalin had issues ofc.
Squad AI means they won't obey your every command. Shut up and walk past that tank and stop dancing!
Ok they can seem stupid for stopping in red cover, but is it really their fault you just attack move just once, and then go play with your light vehicles?
17 Aug 2017, 14:55 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Coh1 horrible AI running around all the time, just hug the flippin wall!
Huddle around a single tree XD
Single trees are meant for snipers and max three man squads.
Why do you think the sov sandbag is so big, stalin had issues ofc.
Squad AI means they won't obey your every command. Shut up and walk past that tank and stop dancing!
Ok they can seem stupid for stopping in red cover, but is it really their fault you just attack move just once, and then go play with your light vehicles?

If you refer to the post above, it is possible to make units "hug the flippin wall" with a few tweaks. It is also very easy to make a simple AI that does obey your every command. We realize competitive players might find squad-ai quite frustrating, and while it might be better if we could add in a button that enables a "competitive mode", we cant do that. We are trying to make it as controllable as possible while keeping it advanced enough for players who want to see a nice-looking firefight. Currently, they still do dance if you order them to walk past a moving tank. That's hard-coded as far as I know.
17 Aug 2017, 15:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Aug 2017, 20:40 PMTobis

Yeah it'd be really nice if there was some way to toggle it like hold fire.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★