Login

russian armor

Balance for infiltration squads badly needed?

30 Dec 2016, 13:41 PM

This replay pretty much sumps up how strong can 1 infiltration squad be and how infiltration squads turn tide of whole battle.
30 Dec 2016, 13:51 PM

No, the grenade cooldown should be implemented in any case. If weapon upgrades were to be implemented, their ammunition cost would need a significant amount of work though - Stormtroopers with their current upgrade costs are one the worst units at their manpower bracket, and that is with their call-in nature in mind (meaning that if the call-in nature were to be changed to friendly territory only, they would lose more usability than most other infiltration units).

That said, the work to fine-tune the ammunition costs for those upgrades would be a worthwhile investment, as it would keep the flavour and utility of these units while making them more tolerable.

I am a bit ignorant regarding the plight of the Stormtroopers. Could you enlighten me which unit you consider Stormtroopers inferior to, for their manpower bracket?

I'll list a few others here:

Code

NAME REINF. COST POPCAP
Stormtroopers 33 8
PGrens 34 9
Commandos 35 10
Falls 38 8
JLI 37 8
Obers 40 10
Ass. Eng 32 8
Rangers 33 ?
Shock Troops 33 9

Stormtroopers are, literally, Panzergrenadier clones with a -6.25% chance to get hit, lower upkeep costs, lower time to reinforce. Ah, also they get stealth.

If PGrens are OK, Stormtroopers are even better. If PGrens suck, what can you tell about the state of the rest of the units I listed there?
30 Dec 2016, 14:39 PM

Permanently Banned

No, the grenade cooldown should be implemented in any case. If weapon upgrades were to be implemented, their ammunition cost would need a significant amount of work though - Stormtroopers with their current upgrade costs are one the worst units at their manpower bracket, and that is with their call-in nature in mind (meaning that if the call-in nature were to be changed to friendly territory only, they would lose more usability than most other infiltration units).

That said, the work to fine-tune the ammunition costs for those upgrades would be a worthwhile investment, as it would keep the flavour and utility of these units while making them more tolerable.

Stormtroopers are fine unit, its to close how units must use in theory, in practice after upgreid its a wipe machine with camo/nade/ and ability to kill faster.
30 Dec 2016, 19:42 PM

Stormtroopers are fine unit, its to close how units must use in theory, in practice after upgreid its a wipe machine with camo/nade/ and ability to kill faster.

^and this is how expensive infiltration inf should be imo. ;)

Cheap infil. inf like partisans should be distracting (e. g. with mines and a potential weapon upgrade), but not roflstomping any inf counterpart except elite inf
9 Jan 2017, 16:06 PM

Stormtroopers are, literally, Panzergrenadier clones with a -6.25% chance to get hit, lower upkeep costs, lower time to reinforce. Ah, also they get stealth.

If PGrens are OK, Stormtroopers are even better. If PGrens suck, what can you tell about the state of the rest of the units I listed there?

I didn't say anything about upkeep or reinforcement costs, I was talking about their manpower cost. You know, that currency used to pay for new infantry units. You might have heard about it, it's only one of the most important aspects of the game...
Not to mention that PzGrens don't need to pay ridiculous amounts of ammo to become useful at anything, but I guess you don't like taking more than aspect into "the scope" of your viewpoint, in order to use more stupid sarcasm.
9 Jan 2017, 16:31 PM

I didn't say anything about upkeep or reinforcement costs, I was talking about their manpower cost. You know, that currency used to pay for new infantry units. You might have heard about it, it's only one of the most important aspects of the game...
Not to mention that PzGrens don't need to pay ridiculous amounts of ammo to become useful at anything, but I guess you don't like taking more than aspect into "the scope" of your viewpoint, in order to use more stupid sarcasm.

Reinforcement costs and upkeep are just as important, if not more, at determining the real cost of the unit. Upkeep and reinforcement cost is what you keep paying time and time again so that your unit can vet.

A vet3 conscript is not a 240MP unit. It's a 240MP + however many times you would normally have to pay to reinforce that unit so that it can make it to there.

The buff to the bundle grenade significantly diminishes this upkeep (veterancy) cost, as the unit can now reach those higher tiers faster.

Secondly, the reinforcement cost of the unit also determines how much veterancy you award when you hit an enemy. Remember how much veterancy Tommies/PGrens/Sturmpioneers/Falls award when you're hitting them in the live version? With the reinforcement cost bug fixed, that is also fixed. Obviously, fighting an enemy vetting faster than you is a bad investment.

Finally, correct me if I am wrong, however Stormtroopers still cost 300MP. Now can you please enumerate how many of the higher upkeep units I listed cost less manpower than that?
10 Jan 2017, 11:13 AM

Reinforcement costs and upkeep are just as important, if not more, at determining the real cost of the unit. Upkeep and reinforcement cost is what you keep paying time and time again so that your unit can vet.

A vet3 conscript is not a 240MP unit. It's a 240MP + however many times you would normally have to pay to reinforce that unit so that it can make it to there.

The buff to the bundle grenade significantly diminishes this upkeep (veterancy) cost, as the unit can now reach those higher tiers faster.

Secondly, the reinforcement cost of the unit also determines how much veterancy you award when you hit an enemy. Remember how much veterancy Tommies/PGrens/Sturmpioneers/Falls award when you're hitting them in the live version? With the reinforcement cost bug fixed, that is also fixed. Obviously, fighting an enemy vetting faster than you is a bad investment.

Finally, correct me if I am wrong, however Stormtroopers still cost 300MP. Now can you please enumerate how many of the higher upkeep units I listed cost less manpower than that?

That is all nice and dandy, but you're still ignoring the point that makes my other arguments work: Stormtroopers spawn in a state that is less than ideal, they have to upgrade first to become viable at anything. They don't compare to PzGrens without those upgrades, that was the core point of my argument. No other infiltration unit has such a high additional cost attached to become effective, not to mention the time delay that comes with it.

Then, if we set this into context how Ostheer works, we can suddenly see the problem: If we upgrade Storms to work as efficiently as other infiltration units, we lose out on mines and LMGs, especially the latter. That means we can no longer compete in infantry battles. Storms do not perform well enough (even with their upgrades) to offset that problem, essentially turning them into a trap for the player using them.
10 Jan 2017, 11:34 AM

Timer is not solving the issue as mentioned above, it simply delays the moment you lose your squad from infiltration.

Isn't possible enable infiltration only from buildings being fully in fog of war?
If your opponent is able to know if a building is occupied, you can't spawn from it.
10 Jan 2017, 11:48 AM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jan 2017, 11:34 AMEsxile
Timer is not solving the issue as mentioned above, it simply delays the moment you lose your squad from infiltration.

Isn't possible enable infiltration only from buildings being fully in fog of war?
If your opponent is able to know if a building is occupied, you can't spawn from it.

This sounds rather gimmicky as you often don't know what your opponent can see, using for example camoed squads, so you would happen to get the squad in base too often, even if you scouted to see if building is occupied.

I would rather do it the other way round: so you could only spawn from buildings in your vision range. This is better than for example spawn only in buildings on own territory since they are infiltration squads and they are ment to support forward operations at the crucial moment. This idea also makes recon more useful, which is always good.
10 Jan 2017, 12:02 PM

That is all nice and dandy, but you're still ignoring the point that makes my other arguments work: Stormtroopers spawn in a state that is less than ideal, they have to upgrade first to become viable at anything. They don't compare to PzGrens without those upgrades, that was the core point of my argument. No other infiltration unit has such a high additional cost attached to become effective, not to mention the time delay that comes with it.

Then, if we set this into context how Ostheer works, we can suddenly see the problem: If we upgrade Storms to work as efficiently as other infiltration units, we lose out on mines and LMGs, especially the latter. That means we can no longer compete in infantry battles. Storms do not perform well enough (even with their upgrades) to offset that problem, essentially turning them into a trap for the player using them.

Apologies, I misread your post and thought you were referencing their manpower costs/upkeep (which already puts them in a much better place than the other units). In WBP, the G43 upgrade is now decent for Storms, and the Schreck upgrade is appropriately priced, since it also gives you maphax. The only upgrade that needs some cost knocking-down is the STG upgrade.

As to the reason why Stormtroopers are so disadvantaged when they spawned, it's not that Storms need to make up for that. It's that the rest of the infiltration squads are bullshit.

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jan 2017, 11:34 AMEsxile

If the timer is long enough and you still lose a squad, it means you have been camping that spot long enough. That means that you should have had enough time to apply whatever countermeasures.

Currently there are no countermeasures. However, someday, flamer damage vs buildings will be fixed.

10 Jan 2017, 12:15 PM

Apologies, I misread your post and thought you were referencing their manpower costs/upkeep (which already puts them in a much better place than the other units). In WBP, the G43 upgrade is now decent for Storms, and the Schreck upgrade is appropriately priced, since it also gives you maphax. The only upgrade that needs some cost knocking-down is the STG upgrade.

As to the reason why Stormtroopers are so disadvantaged when they spawned, it's not that Storms need to make up for that. It's that the rest of the infiltration squads are bullshit.

If the timer is long enough and you still lose a squad, it means you have been camping that spot long enough. That means that you should have had enough time to apply whatever countermeasures.

Currently there are no countermeasures. However, someday, flamer damage vs buildings will be fixed.

I'll say if the timer is long enough, nobody will use it. :/
There is already a risk to spawn squads in the fog of war, if now it comes 10 or 20 seconds after you call them, the risk becomes too high for the reward.

I guess the best idea from the available options is to make each spawning unit having to buy their weapons like storms. it acts like a timer but at least you can manage it.
10 Jan 2017, 12:22 PM

With the timer, you can always take the risk of trying to coordinate it with an actual attack.

For instance, you can click the spawn button and then start moving your main force to the location as your squad is about to spawn. This could potentially allow you to silence a pak wall. Or you could potentially end up with a very dead squad. High risk, high reward.
11 Jan 2017, 18:19 PM

With the timer, you can always take the risk of trying to coordinate it with an actual attack.

For instance, you can click the spawn button and then start moving your main force to the location as your squad is about to spawn. This could potentially allow you to silence a pak wall. Or you could potentially end up with a very dead squad. High risk, high reward.

Partisans with AT are not fair.They will just spam and kill your crippled tank when you are repairing.They should pay for shreks.Storms take a lot to get their stg44
14 Jan 2017, 06:48 AM

Sigh....

Amazing how every time I come back to this game, partisan cheese bs sees me leave again.

Disappointing relic have let this shit go on so long.
14 Jan 2017, 14:26 PM

That's a good option. Partisans will require a cost recalibration regardless (they are definitely NOT worth 35MP per model); it's the dirt-cheap MP price that makes them an overkill.

Other alternatives are:
- Give a delay between issuing the infiltration command, and the squad actually spawning (say 20 seconds)
- Make the squad spawn with crap weapons, and they regain their default weapons after a delay has elapsed

Hope you are kidding :X

Reworking (OKW) infiltration squads would require major rework of OKW.

OKW Volks are pretty garbage(since vet nerfs)/comes way too late(obers).

JLI/fall spawn is the only real way OKW is killing a early sniper.

JLI and Falls (especially) are needed to somehow stay alive vs retard durable Maxim spam.

Falls still suffer from plus 50 percent explosive damage and weak vet bonuses.
14 Jan 2017, 14:51 PM

Hope you are kidding :X

Reworking (OKW) infiltration squads would require major rework of OKW.

OKW Volks are pretty garbage(since vet nerfs)/comes way too late(obers).

JLI/fall spawn is the only real way OKW is killing a early sniper.

JLI and Falls (especially) are needed to somehow stay alive vs retard durable Maxim spam.

Falls still suffer from plus 50 percent explosive damage and weak vet bonuses.

Letting (OKW) infiltration inf at its current state with the argument that they need it to counter snipers is pretty weak.

It is stupid anyway that OKW is reliant on doctrine to counter snipers.. they need better non-doctrinal counter to snipers.
And falls definetely need to be changed. They are almost as cheesy as infil. commandos from UKF. And falls have weak vet bonus? Joke??? At vet 5 for example they melt any kind of inf withhin seconds.

About non-doctrinal countersnipe: you think it would be crazy idea to give volks a copy of the vCoH scout package of british inf section? With a G43 sniper rifle, better scout range but less body armor?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★