Login

russian armor

Design versus reality..

26 Mar 2016, 17:07 PM

I do rather like the state of the game currently, there's a few issues since Vet was fixed but I'd say it was in a better state than previously.

Interested to see how people think the different factions stack up compared to their intended design though, as per the relic graphic above.
26 Mar 2016, 17:17 PM

USF is same agressive as OKW. OKW army size is bigger than american one. OKW have advantage at whole game with kingtiger, OP pz2 luchs, countless blobs and frp. Soviets have no advantage at all. Nothing else to say.

P.S. USF very powerfull at combined arms, what? Riflemans combined with riflemans, officers and riflemans?
26 Mar 2016, 17:19 PM

This was clearly developed by a marketing team who've got, at best, a casual understanding of the game.
26 Mar 2016, 17:39 PM

User experience:
26 Mar 2016, 17:43 PM

User experience:

Your experience*

*fixed

There is a reason why soviets are the go to faction in ESL, and nope not because they belong into the trash can
26 Mar 2016, 17:45 PM

Your experience*

*fixed

There is a reason why soviets are the go to faction in ESL, and nope not because they belong into the trash can

Maxims :foreveralone:
26 Mar 2016, 17:46 PM

There was better one made by fan but I can't seem to find it
It was about usf paper armor
26 Mar 2016, 17:54 PM

That's how Soviet still cling on.:foreveralone:
26 Mar 2016, 17:56 PM

I saw most of the high-end players go for mostly conscript-heavy strats. And they worked just fine.
26 Mar 2016, 17:58 PM

I saw most of the high-end players go for mostly conscript-heavy strats. And they worked just fine.

Does not change the fact that maxims can do same job but even better than cons.
26 Mar 2016, 18:13 PM

Hmm...

Ost is meant to be powerful late game? Maybe they gave the Kingtiger to the wrong faction?

OKW is meant to fizzle out mid and late game? Erm....

USF is a mid game powerhouse? Can have total map control very early and still lose.

Ost is a more defensively powerful faction than OKW? Really???

UKF should surprise their opponents... Must be a real shock seeing nothing but Cromwells and IS on the field. Neither of which benefits from hammer / anvil or side techs. I guess they might be surprised the Brits don't have grenades.

26 Mar 2016, 18:14 PM

Does not change the fact that maxims can do same job but even better than cons.

And that's because conscripts are fine but maxims over-perform. If conscripts were indeed bad and the maxim was the only thing holding the faction together, we would probably not have seen conscript heavy strats be so successful.
26 Mar 2016, 18:18 PM

And that's because conscripts are fine but maxims over-perform. If conscripts were indeed bad and the maxim was the only thing holding the faction together, we would probably not have seen conscript heavy strats be so successful.

No one says conscript is bad. It's just Soviet has to win early or lose the game because so called "advantage".

Soviet vs Ostheer is best match up so far because none of these factions have advantage early or mid game.

nee
26 Mar 2016, 20:26 PM

That graphic is just hype work made by and for marketing.
27 Mar 2016, 00:47 AM

Find it difficult to believe that they would post a graphic which didn't represent the design and where they thought the factions should be.
27 Mar 2016, 00:55 AM

Find it difficult to believe that they would post a graphic which didn't represent the design and where they thought the factions should be.

nothing says early game faction like vet 5 and a non doc super heavy tank amma right?!?
27 Mar 2016, 03:33 AM

I'll defend the graph.

OKW has best early game due to not being forced to tech to gain CQC infantry, sniper counter, and AT-as well as the Kubel. OKW is weak late because they have glaring army comp weaknesses that can only be addressed through aggressive play, or if their opponent refuses to attack.

HMGs , mlrs, and high armor anti infantry vehicles (croc, Sherman, kv-2) are super effective at melting OKW's bases and frail at guns/troops. Simply defending as OKW means you let the enemy prepare for an attack on a forward base- easily destroyed by combined use of smoke by USF, or arty and fire by the Soviets. OKW has to attack nonstop at all game stages, and has to pay significant fuel or munis for non puppchen AT.

Past the early game, OKW can continue to press initiative with aggressive infantry play and rushing lights/ISG to counter enemy army comp. But lack of combined arms and no truely solid anti infantry/ HMG means they are vulnerable as well. In games with people that understand both armies fighting OKW (with no Maxim spam, which is OP lol) can be fun because you defend early, counterattack in mid game and play the late game reactively, defending while storing enough munis to take out their Shwerer.
27 Mar 2016, 03:39 AM

I would say OKW has a really strong early game and an extremely strong late game. They snowball hard with veterancy and their powerful late game units. Volks at vet 4/vet 5 are terminators. Not to mention that panzer command simply locks down a huge chunk of the map. Pretty easy to throw it near 1 VP and stall the game for way longer than they should be able to.

OKW is weakest in the mid game because a lot of their units are light/medium vehicles that require careful micro. They also have lots of expensive infantry that can bleed mp like crazy.

27 Mar 2016, 03:43 AM

I am finding people being a little over dramatic about the Soviets, they are good its just that as many people said they have a lot of units not up to scratch.

With OKW, saying its an early game advantage is a joke. The only faction with a non-doc heavy tank and units able to reach vet 5 is not an early game faction lol.

27 Mar 2016, 05:21 AM

I don't really think factions should necessarily be designed around being powerful at certain stages of the game, especially by stripping them of options to cripple their capabilities.

The way the factions are considered to have an 'advantage' at certain stages of the games is inelegant at best.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★