Login

russian armor

Opinion: Was the December pathing change good?

Was the December pathing change a good one?
Option Distribution Votes
15%
69%
16%
Total votes: 61
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
16 Jan 2016, 03:25 AM
Patrion 27

Relic has stated that they won't be reverting the pathing change from December that sends vehicles into combat in reverse. Do you think the pathing change was a good idea or not?
16 Jan 2016, 03:41 AM
Donator 11

Im not sure. Its better in terms of how it operates but is buggy at the same time. Surly it would be better to cut the path finding in a half circle to determine which direction the tank would go.

Another way to help path finding is to reduce vehicle size so they dont clip on literally everything.
16 Jan 2016, 04:14 AM

In what sense is this assward pathing good?
IF they are trying to make noobs capable of reversing the vehicles they should start with editable key bindings instead of this imbecile nonsense!
16 Jan 2016, 05:23 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

There is no benefit to this at all if you know how to use the reverse hotkey, and it gets in the way of normal movement sometimes.

Pros:
Nothing

Cons:
It gets your things killed
It's frustrating

There is no reason at all to keep it.
16 Jan 2016, 05:30 AM
Patrion 15

Bit of a redundant thread, so here is a bit of a redundant comment:

This change only took more control AWAY from the players under the assumption that they were too terrible at the game to press the reverse hotkey before issuing a move command.
16 Jan 2016, 06:05 AM

Yes but it needs tweaked. Maybe so that the reverse order isn't so long, or maybe that anything 270 degrees in front is a Frontal move order, and anything 90 degrees in back up to 50 meters is a reverse move order. That way tanks will only reverse into battle if you parked them backwards within 50 meters of the front, which would be a player error by that point.
16 Jan 2016, 06:08 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Jan 2016, 05:23 AMTobis
There is no benefit to this at all if you know how to use the reverse hotkey, and it gets in the way of normal movement sometimes.

The trouble is that the reverse key for classic hotkeys is U, which is possibly the worst key you could hope to use. Move the key to something closer to the left side of the keyboard (like R for grid keys) and there would be no excuse not to be using it.
16 Jan 2016, 07:26 AM
Patrion 15

NO! Vehicles is crushing more cover is good but that going that backwards thing is really painfull. I was really fine with using 'reverse' button. Now I have to babysit vehicles even more.
16 Jan 2016, 07:48 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Jan 2016, 05:23 AMTobis

Pros:
Nothing

The December pathing change has actually brought a single benefit to unit behaviour:

When you try to move multiple Vehicles from one area to another, the new pathing will cause significantly less vehicle rotation (and thus less of a traffic jam).

This is PARTICULARLY useful when the enemy tries to summon a sneaky artillery barrage (e.g., stuka dive bombing) right in the middle of your armoured column. With the old behaviour, it would be very difficult to salvage your vehicles. With the new behaviour, you actually have a chance.

With that being said, I would rather they reverted to the old pathing, unless they plan to refine new pathing very very soon.

Possible ideas to fix:
1) When the player gives a move-facing command (hold right-click), the vehicles should first rotate before moving
2) Reduce the no-rotation distance from 50-ish to something smaller (e.g. 30-ish)
3) When the player uses an attack-move command, again, the same

Personally, I prefer #1 and maybe #2 as well on top of that. #1 will make things more predictable.
16 Jan 2016, 09:32 AM

Let me quote mysefl:

Yellow arrow to point direction.
Green - what I expect.
Red - what actually happens
Arrows on green/red lines show front of the tank.
In other words, I think vehicles should TURN first and then move instead of moving in first place and turning at the end of the road (showing rear armor all day long).

Right click and show image for bigger picture.

16 Jan 2016, 16:41 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

The December pathing change has actually brought a single benefit to unit behaviour:

When you try to move multiple Vehicles from one area to another, the new pathing will cause significantly less vehicle rotation (and thus less of a traffic jam).

This is PARTICULARLY useful when the enemy tries to summon a sneaky artillery barrage (e.g., stuka dive bombing) right in the middle of your armoured column. With the old behaviour, it would be very difficult to salvage your vehicles. With the new behaviour, you actually have a chance.

With that being said, I would rather they reverted to the old pathing, unless they plan to refine new pathing very very soon.

Possible ideas to fix:
1) When the player gives a move-facing command (hold right-click), the vehicles should first rotate before moving
2) Reduce the no-rotation distance from 50-ish to something smaller (e.g. 30-ish)
3) When the player uses an attack-move command, again, the same

Personally, I prefer #1 and maybe #2 as well on top of that. #1 will make things more predictable.

I was not aware that they had made any changes to vehicle rotation besides deciding whether to reverse and rotate.
16 Jan 2016, 17:01 PM

It's unpredictable and messy as it is now, with tanks backing up to the front line for no apparent reason and crushing manouvers are alot more finicky to perform. It needs alot of tweaking if it's not going to be reverted
16 Jan 2016, 17:19 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Jan 2016, 16:41 PMTobis

I was not aware that they had made any changes to vehicle rotation besides deciding whether to reverse and rotate.

The nature of the change was exactly what you describe.

We all know the negative side-effects of the change.

The positive side-effects of the change are the following:
1) The tank would close the distance to the destination faster (thus getting you out of the danger zone)
2) Since tanks are now on the move, it is more likely that they phase through one another rather than create a monumental traffic jam.

That is to say a tank that would normally have to rotate before (and thus block ALL your other units) will now no longer block your entire column.

Have a look here:
http://www.coh2.org/topic/31417/vehicle-phasing-a-how-to-guide
16 Jan 2016, 17:22 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

The nature of the change was exactly what you describe.

We all know the negative side-effects of the change.

The positive side-effects of the change are the following:
1) The tank would close the distance to the destination faster (thus getting you out of the danger zone)
2) Since tanks are now on the move, it is more likely that they phase through one another rather than create a monumental traffic jam.

That is to say a tank that would normally have to rotate before (and thus block ALL your other units) will now no longer block your entire column.

Have a look here:
http://www.coh2.org/topic/31417/vehicle-phasing-a-how-to-guide

Why couldn't that all be achieved with selecting all the vehicles and telling them to reverse out of the way?
16 Jan 2016, 17:25 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Jan 2016, 17:22 PMTobis

Why couldn't that all be achieved with selecting all the vehicles and telling them to reverse out of the way?

Good point. The case I had in mind is that some of the vehicles might have been facing the other way to begin with (e.g., right after a tank battle)..

... or you could have some damaged vehicles returning to the front and catching up with your mobile artillery.

Those are corner cases, I agree; something had to be done about those cases too, though.

However, I do agree that players now lack complete control over their vehicles and that is more important.
16 Jan 2016, 18:02 PM

:brad: It is and iprovement and feature :brad:

Ofcourse its bad. change to pathing before. Now all tank crew looks like drunk
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment