Login

russian armor

Comet armor too much?

27 Dec 2015, 13:57 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Dec 2015, 13:04 PMButcher
delete
27 Dec 2015, 16:51 PM

For the rear armour? Does that mean all heavy tanks should get a cost reduction when a rear armour nerf is implemented?

Medium tanks should be a threat to their heavier counterparts if they manage to get around as it means they're diving in and trying to position against a superior enemy while probably being exposed to other dangers and over-extension. When mediums have a better chance punching through
the front armour of another medium tank than the rear of a heavy, something's wrong.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill for a relatively mediocre tank. Any armour nerfs will kill it like the churchill because it really doesn't have much going for it.

PIV struggles to pen not because the comet armour is OP, but because as a tank that's its weakpoint (PIV's got great armour, vet, smoke and AI but below average penetration).

Build a couple of 90 fuel StuG's and you will pen a comet just fine.
27 Dec 2015, 16:56 PM

Hey there!

So here we have the mighty british medium tank, the Comet. Which in real life had 70-102 mm frontal armor (around 70 in the front of the chassis, and 102 on the front of the turret).

On the other hand, we have the Jagdpanzer4, which in real life had the 75mm PaK42 cannon, and used the PzGr.39/42 (a armor-piercing capped ballistic capped shell [APCBC]) which was able to penetrate a 149mm thick steel at 1000m, and 168mm at 500m.

However, in the game, the Jagdpanzer have a really hard time penetrating the frontal armor of the Comet, and doing damage. By hard time I mean 8 out of 10 shots will bounce.

I'm not even mentioning that the Comet almost never bounces from the sloped (!!!) frontal armor of a Panther, but the Panther bounces pretty nicely from the 90° frontal armor of the Comet...physics at it's finest...

In my opinion, a little bit of nerf would be handy, not too much, just make every second shot go through, and cause damage, from the Jgdpz4.

Best regards.

And any actual GAMEPLAY based reason why it should be changed?

Because following your reasoning, we should buff T34/76 to P4 level without changing costs and giving churchills more armor then it had on release, because IRL it was thicker then tiger Is armor.

No IRL based argument makes sense, because coh2 is not a simulator, but immerse arcade RTS.

Comet have cost comparable to panther and should have comparable stats.

What you suggest makes all the sense for a simulator and means less then zero for coh2.
That is balance.
27 Dec 2015, 17:09 PM

I think its no balance problem because you have a lot more than a Panzer IV when a Comet shows up and flanking with a Comet is always at more risk than drive frontally in with a panther and back out when you took a few hits.

Why do you assume the player will have a Panther by the time the Comet arrives? The first Panther costs more than the first Comet. T4 is basically a bonus tier only accessed when things are going well or you're in a team game, while Hammer / Anvil is an expected tech for every game.
27 Dec 2015, 17:23 PM

Why do you assume the player will have a Panther by the time the Comet arrives? The first Panther costs more than the first Comet. T4 is basically a bonus tier only accessed when things are going well or you're in a team game, while Hammer / Anvil is an expected tech for every game.

And Ostheer doesn't give up anything when going T4, whereas Brits lose on the Churchill and heavy sappers (among others) by going Hammer. Jeez, it's almost like the factions are asymetrically balanced or something.

The Comet is fine. Historical arguments come behind balance arguments every time, unless Axis wants to be swarmed with 4-5x more tanks than they have and see their beloved Panzer wunderwaffen break down every so often while Allies enjoy uncontested air superiority, if not supremacy.

Let's not nerf one of the few good units Brits have left, please. The faction is already enough of an overnerfed underdog as it is.
27 Dec 2015, 17:37 PM

Cry more.

Seriously, if you still think the British are OP you must be in another game. Also, historical arguments are invalid for balance.
27 Dec 2015, 19:41 PM

Permanently Banned
Churchill would have been so much better off if it was: 320 armor, 1280 health, normal veterancy exp requirements, proper handgrenade stats that aren't 120 damage no dropoff. STILL NOT FIXED!!!!

Rather than this garbage 1400 health 240 armor lol.

If p4 had proper penetration of 130 then comet rear armor of 180 would be just fine. Its front is already fine at 290, considering its abilities and speed.
27 Dec 2015, 19:57 PM

Please read again, did I said Panther comes at the same time? No, I said "a lot more" and after that I compared the stats of Panther and Comet. Two different thoughts that you mixed up by skiming my post.

It depends on playing style of brit and axis player. Also it depends if you are playing OKW or Ostheer, but if you only have one PanzerIV and no furher AT weaponry or snares when the Comet shows up, it is really your fault. Hope that clears it up.
28 Dec 2015, 09:37 AM

I dont think there is any problem with the Comets armor.

The only thing i hate in british tanks is the AOE of that f*cking grenade they throw. Its like a mini-nuke.
28 Dec 2015, 12:11 PM

Churchill would have been so much better off if it was: 320 armor, 1280 health, normal veterancy exp requirements, proper handgrenade stats that aren't 120 damage no dropoff. STILL NOT FIXED!!!!

Rather than this garbage 1400 health 240 armor lol.

If p4 had proper penetration of 130 then comet rear armor of 180 would be just fine. Its front is already fine at 290, considering its abilities and speed.

I would say bring it back to the stats that it had at the launch of brit faction: 1400 health and 320 armor. Then raise its fuel and manpower cost accordingly to reflect this.

Relic build brits to be a lategame faction that brings the much needed heavy armor to 3vs3 and 4vs4 for allies. Its no problem with a slow high armor/health churchill if you pay the right ressources for it. Lets keep in mind that it gets outgunned by any other heavy tank.

The problem in the beginning was, that anvil tech and Churchill itself was dirt cheap and you steamrolled your opponent with three of them in any multiplayer game. Relic drew the wrong conclusions and nerfed it stats instead of just adjusting its cost.
28 Dec 2015, 18:42 PM

Ignoring the historical arguments, here is the unit stats relevant to the points you are making:

(vet 0, pen at max range)

Comet
Frontal armor: 290
Pen: 170

JPIV
Pen: 170

Panther
Frontal armor: 320
Pen: 220

JPIV chance to pen frontal armor of comet: 58%. In other words, your claim that 8 of 10 shots will bounce is false.

Comet vs Panther

Comet chance to pen Panther: 53%
Panther chance to pen Comet: 75%

Your claim that Comet never pen Panther but deflects the Panther shots nicely is false.

+1 Thanks for real data instead of Axis fanboi nonsense :p
28 Dec 2015, 19:36 PM

28 Dec 2015, 19:43 PM
Donator 11

Maybe the panther frontal armor should come down so they both have similar % for pen lol.
28 Dec 2015, 19:56 PM

i have numerous issues with almost every brit unit (namely for example the ridiculous churchill nades (20 ammo for one of, if not THE best grenade in the game), or that churchill have no prioritize armor button).

Comet armor isn't on that list.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS