Login

russian armor

inefficiency of panthers

24 Nov 2015, 16:11 PM

I think itś fine, only because of the fact that any tank can have a really hard time against Panthers. I do think that the Panther for the ostheer is a bit too expensive. Perhaps bring the fuel back to 160.

I do keep in mind that the Comet (counter-part) is 185 fuel. The brits teching is just way cheaper than the ostheer teching. That's why I'd suggest to make it 160 fuel.

Hi iron_emperor....I´ve read several times in this forum that prize of a unit is tied to its performance while tech costs of that unit are relate to the moment in which this unit is fielded....if this is right, why a panther should cost only 160 fuel while the OKW is more expensive???? just asking.....no trying to argue against your opinion.

and by the way, what you guys feel about stug costing 80 fuel??? is not too much cheaper for the performance that it has??? is it fine??? what do you think????? just asking again, I just want to know other´s opinion about it....

I haved no seen any threads about stug performance-price, and I wonder why??? I mean, I have no knolegde to participate in balance discussion but 80 fuel for such a great unit it feels so cheap for me,

because here there are even Rear Echelon OP threads so....just curiosity.....

Apologies for the off-topic.
24 Nov 2015, 16:11 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Nov 2015, 00:11 AMLuGer33
I think the Panther is fine.

It's probably the best non-doctrinal tank in the game except maybe the British heavies. The Panther's frontal armor is insane and consistently bounces shots from tank destroyers like Jacksons and SU-85s. It has very high health and if it's not the fastest tank in the game, it's one of the fastest, meaning you can dive with it to finish off enemy tanks (and it will penetrate all Allied armor every time except maybe Pershing and Churchhill) or do drive-bys on things like Ambulances and mobile artillery.

With its armor, health, and speed, plus smoke, I've seen Panthers get out of situations where an Allied tank would have been knocked out 3 times. I think a lot of what you're paying for is the survivability, and therefore its cost is justified IMO. It can go toe to toe with any Allied tank, not to mention the three MGs which can do solid DPS to infantry.

I could see maybe a very slight pop decrease but the unit certainly doesn't need any performance buffs.

+1
24 Nov 2015, 16:12 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

http://www.coh2.org/topic/43668/ostheer-bp3-t4-tech-tree-cost-proposal-solution

I liked this propose solution.

TL;DR: basically makes T3+T4 cheaper while retaining timing of T3 or rushing T4.
24 Nov 2015, 16:13 PM
Donator 11

Yeah, its the tech cost that couses problems, not the tank. And btw, heavy tanks pop cap is just to low, it has nothing to do with panthers, its a mistake in heavy changes.
24 Nov 2015, 16:16 PM

Buffs to the Panther would make 3v3 and 4v4 near unplayable. In these modes where the game almost always enters the "late game section" this unit is deadly. In other modes the tank is less useful, but I don't think that is reason enough to buff this unit.

The tank is rare but available, and that alone is important.

As you have pointed out against Brits go Stugs, they can trade well with Brit tanks. Against Americans Panthers can be devastating because of their ability to chase down and destroy fleeing armor. Against Soviets you need to decide based on his Tier structure.
24 Nov 2015, 16:32 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Nov 2015, 16:11 PMFul4n0

Hi iron_emperor....I´ve read several times in this forum that prize of a unit is tied to its performance while tech costs of that unit are relate to the moment in which this unit is fielded....if this is right, why a panther should cost only 160 fuel while the OKW is more expensive???? just asking.....no trying to argue against your opinion.

and by the way, what you guys feel about stug costing 80 fuel??? is not too much cheaper for the performance that it has??? is it fine??? what do you think????? just asking again, I just want to know other´s opinion about it....

I haved no seen any threads about stug performance-price, and I wonder why??? I mean, I have no knolegde to participate in balance discussion but 80 fuel for such a great unit it feels so cheap for me,

because here there are even Rear Echelon OP threads so....just curiosity.....

Apologies for the off-topic.

As I do understand your point about the performance and cost it would be more justifiable to make the ost panther a bit cheaper. To get acces of a ostheer panther you've to make some huge incestment fuel wise. There other factions don't have this huge fuel gap in tech cost.

I do think that the stug 3 is a bit too cheap for it's performance.
24 Nov 2015, 16:35 PM

Thanks mate for such a fast and kindly reply.
24 Nov 2015, 16:37 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Nov 2015, 16:35 PMFul4n0
Thanks mate for such a fast and kindly reply.

Thanks for your kind reaction and question instead of flaming. More people have to be like you
24 Nov 2015, 16:39 PM

Also what I forgot to say is that the OKW panther is a bit stronger dps wise than the ostheer one. Also the 5 vet levels are something you've to take into account
24 Nov 2015, 16:52 PM
Donator 22

Teching cost is not even the biggest issue with the panther. I honestly often could go for T4 resource wise, but the units them selves are not worth it to pick over T3 ones. Here is ~50 pop of T3 tanks:T3
Compare it to ~50 pop of T4 tanks:T4

The image above the T3 tank blob would be stronger against infantry and tanks.

24 Nov 2015, 18:44 PM

I think its Ost t4 price that needs looking at.
24 Nov 2015, 19:00 PM

The rate of fire is what keeps the Panther down. The reload speed is crap-tastic. Not worth it versus anything but the heaviest tanks. And even then the StuG does a better job.

Panzer IV has better dps + better anti infantry + a better price + arrives earlier. This is more useful in almost any scenario. And the other scenarios are solved by using StuGs.

Go home Panther, nobody likes you!
24 Nov 2015, 19:02 PM

Panthers front armour should get nerfed hard.
24 Nov 2015, 22:32 PM

Panthers front armour should get nerfed hard.

Not to be mean but man this sounds like a straight "I have issues with panther please nerf now". Because you didnt give an argument on why you just said make it happen, and on top of that you didn't just say nerf, you said nerf hard. You want to nerf the armor and keep the same ROF??
25 Nov 2015, 00:31 AM

What Panther needs is moving accuracy buff. 50% accuracy on the move makes it hard to utilize its speed.
25 Nov 2015, 00:35 AM
Donator 33

A fast moving tank doesn't need high accuracy, the Jackson has to stop to get reliable accuracy to peg tanks.
25 Nov 2015, 00:40 AM

A fast moving tank doesn't need high accuracy, the Jackson has to stop to get reliable accuracy to peg tanks.

Comet and Jackson has 75% accuracy on the move... Good joke.
25 Nov 2015, 00:54 AM
Donator 33

Cool, but I still said that a tank doesn't NEED to be accurate on the move. And the accuracy when halted is still a far greater value, which will reliably peg tanks. As much as the comet is the new kid on the block, the Jackson is a papier-mâché tank, so it got that bonus. The panther gets the pintle MG good crush capability and of course blitz.
25 Nov 2015, 01:31 AM

Panther is fine. Ost T4 is the issue.
25 Nov 2015, 02:06 AM

Cool, but I still said that a tank doesn't NEED to be accurate on the move. And the accuracy when halted is still a far greater value, which will reliably peg tanks. As much as the comet is the new kid on the block, the Jackson is a papier-mâché tank, so it got that bonus. The panther gets the pintle MG good crush capability and of course blitz.
Then, any fast tank doesn't need to be more accurate on the move. But I guess it's not, and I'm totally fine with it.
You don't have to give explanations why those tanks worth moving accuracy... The thing is, Panther's moving accuracy make it have worse DPS than intended, even though it has lowest DPS of all tank hunters. And you know any tanks always can't be stopped to use unless the enemy has no reliable AT.
You know what was in the similar case? Old Jackson. Old 240 damage Jackson did pack a punch, but it had unreliable DPS because of penetration. This panther is worse than that because of slower RoF and lower damage. So, why it can't have higher moving accuracy?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★