Login

russian armor

Why do S mines have signs?

PAGES (7)down
10 Nov 2015, 04:22 AM

I thought the whole point of mines was to use surprise. S mines are the most expensive mines in the game, and they come with signs. Why?

-all mines can squad wipe

-all mines except S mines do engine damage

-S mines require consistant procs to squad wipe

Please dont say something about "area denial" we are talking about mines here and sweepers are not hard.
10 Nov 2015, 04:39 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Ur right. We should remove the signs

S mines(even one 15 muni strip...)have the biggest AOE of any mine, arguably bigger than a demo explosion.

Unless you have instant reflexes, you can't react to an S Mine on the flanks for example. Your squad will just die.

That's why they have signs. So there's not massive fields of invisible squad wipin mines that only cost 15 mini and 3 seconds to place everywhere.

And before you say BabyRage Soviet mine only 30 muni... Well get over it. That's one little spot compared to a entire pathway that s mines can cover in comparison.
10 Nov 2015, 04:43 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Nov 2015, 04:22 AMUnited
I thought the whole point of mines was to use surprise. S mines are the most expensive mines in the game, and they come with signs. Why?

-all mines except S mines do engine damage

-S mines require consistant procs to squad wipe

Please dont say something about "area denial" we are talking about mines here and sweepers are not hard.
To be honest, I really don't know. It has been there since the beginning of the game (Pre-Western Front Armies). I never heard people complain about it, but I believe it's supposed to work with defensive strategies like having a machine gun bunker covering the entire 'denial zone' to prevent minesweepers from getting rid of the mines.
Though I guess it's hardly ever used other than that considering that vehicles and tanks can crush it and get away with it.

I think the best way to use them is on the flanks where most players don't pay attention to. Though I can't continue due to the fact that I have very limited use of S-Mines.
10 Nov 2015, 04:53 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Nov 2015, 04:22 AMUnited

"Can" is the key word there. Soviet or USF mines can also only kill 1 model of the squad. It has a lot of variance. At certain points it's better and at certain points it's worse.

The advantage of S mines is that they do constant and consistent damage. It only takes a second of walking into an S mine field to lose a squad if the person isn't paying attention. It's a trade off that sometimes pays off.

Besides I don't want to imagine the horror of 15 munition S mines littered all across the battlefield.
10 Nov 2015, 04:59 AM
Patrion 14

The fun part about S-mines is when you sneak your pios to the back and put it on a retreat path. Then watch a bunch of rifle squads run back to base through it. Insta gg right there.
10 Nov 2015, 05:10 AM

Ur right. We should remove the signs

S mines(even one 15 muni strip...)have the biggest AOE of any mine, arguably bigger than a demo explosion.

Unless you have instant reflexes, you can't react to an S Mine on the flanks for example. Your squad will just die.

That's why they have signs. So there's not massive fields of invisible squad wipin mines that only cost 15 mini and 3 seconds to place everywhere.

And before you say BabyRage Soviet mine only 30 muni... Well get over it. That's one little spot compared to a entire pathway that s mines can cover in comparison.

they have the biggest aoe because there are 4 mines in a S Minefield all of them procing individually

Small strips dont do enough damage (and again have signs)

Yes you can react to S minefields, the under attack radio call like any other mine occurs.

You dont need "instant reflexes" Especially because again, the mines have signs, again, units will radio call when they trip them and again, S mines have to be consistently proced to do wiping/serious damage.
10 Nov 2015, 05:15 AM

"Can" is the key word there. Soviet or USF mines can also only kill 1 model of the squad. It has a lot of variance. At certain points it's better and at certain points it's worse.

The advantage of S mines is that they do constant and consistent damage. It only takes a second of walking into an S mine field to lose a squad if the person isn't paying attention. It's a trade off that sometimes pays off.

Besides I don't want to imagine the horror of 15 munition S mines littered all across the battlefield.

15 munition mines dont have wipe potential, the entire 60 min minefield does, because its 4 S mines in a field

if a Soviet player places 2 mines one after the other, Thats a squad wipe minefield, without signs.

10 Nov 2015, 05:16 AM

the sign are not that obvious at first glance and You can't see them at all if you're issuing order by mini map or tac map.

This means that it's really easy to lose a entire squad to a S mine field if you are not watching over all your capping squad. Even with the radio warning, most squad will suicide themselves over a S mine field before you can react.
10 Nov 2015, 05:22 AM

Another big thing is the competition S minefield has in Wher

munitions heavy purchases are also

-Med bunker

-Weapon upgrades

-Rife Grenade

-Panzerfaust

-commander abilities

-Panzershrecks

-etc etc

All these things are options that S mines cant compete with in terms of reliability.

So not only do S mines have signs that scream to be swept, and require consistent procs to do the same damage as every other faction mine, but because they arn't good enough to compete with other options, they are almost never built.
10 Nov 2015, 05:24 AM

The fun part about S-mines is when you sneak your pios to the back and put it on a retreat path. Then watch a bunch of rifle squads run back to base through it. Insta gg right there.

good mine placement should be rewarded, like placing mines in front of house entrances or narrow hallways.

congrats.
10 Nov 2015, 05:29 AM

To be honest, I really don't know. It has been there since the beginning of the game (Pre-Western Front Armies). I never heard people complain about it, but I believe it's supposed to work with defensive strategies like having a machine gun bunker covering the entire 'denial zone' to prevent minesweepers from getting rid of the mines.
Though I guess it's hardly ever used other than that considering that vehicles and tanks can crush it and get away with it.

I think the best way to use them is on the flanks where most players don't pay attention to. Though I can't continue due to the fact that I have very limited use of S-Mines.

I think its just when a unit is useless for a long time, people just accept it and move on. Penals have been garbage for almost as long as Coh2 has been alive, people mention it sometimes but for the most part its accepted because "reasons"
10 Nov 2015, 05:35 AM

Soviet mines are used to distrupt the whole map, just like their capping forces.

Werh mines are much more powerful and generally are used in a more defensive way, I.E. Using them to cover an unprotected flank of an MG42. Werh has to keep its forces more compact, to support each other and the mines follow this trend. They work best when you can watch over them to prevent pios from sweeping.

Placing alone on a flank point like a soviet is likely to do, is a poor use and will probably get easily sweeped.

10 Nov 2015, 06:07 AM

S mines(even one 15 muni strip...)have the biggest AOE of any mine, arguably bigger than a demo explosion

That's bullshit, they have the same radius as every other mine (5), Demos have 6 (sovietssoviets) or 8 (usfusf).
10 Nov 2015, 06:21 AM

They have a sign because allied mine can wipe your full squad (more often tHan you think) while smine field needs 2-3 seconds. Logical? No but inb4 assymetrical balance :D
10 Nov 2015, 06:40 AM

Soviet mines are used to distrupt the whole map, just like their capping forces.

Werh mines are much more powerful and generally are used in a more defensive way, I.E. Using them to cover an unprotected flank of an MG42. Werh has to keep its forces more compact, to support each other and the mines follow this trend. They work best when you can watch over them to prevent pios from sweeping.

Placing alone on a flank point like a soviet is likely to do, is a poor use and will probably get easily sweeped.

Its not an efficient use of resources. In your example, for the same price equipping a gren squad with a weapon upgrade would be better use of munitions for covering an mg42.

Also sweepers turn off mines, they dont have to be swept. As long as a sweeper is present infantry can run right through.

And how would a player know to bring a sweeper to flank this "protected" mg42? Because the mines have signs.
10 Nov 2015, 06:41 AM
Patrion 15

It's another stupid hangover from the early days of Coh2 where working vCoH game mechanics had to be reworked to try to distract players from the fact that the game was no major step forwards from CoH1. Like cold-tech and soviet wire fields.

I do like this game and it is now more fun to play than CoH1, but there really should be some common features for all armies - common access to mines, common mine functionality. Remove S-Mine, give everyone the 30 muni USF/Sov mine.
10 Nov 2015, 06:59 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

That's bullshit, they have the same radius as every other mine (5), Demos have 6 (sovietssoviets) or 8 (usfusf).

Bullshit,they have 4 mines in a big box instead of one mine one spot like the mines ur comparing it too, so thats a bullshit way of calling bullshit.

And I dont know,wouldnt 4 mines in a box at 5 AOE(making it 20) have more potential AOE than an 6-8 AOE demo? I dont really know my maths. :snfPeter:
10 Nov 2015, 07:35 AM

Bullshit,they have 4 mines in a big box instead of one mine one spot like the mines ur comparing it too, so thats a bullshit way of calling bullshit.

And I dont know,wouldnt 4 mines in a box at 5 AOE(making it 20) have more potential AOE than an 6-8 AOE demo? I dont really know my maths. :snfPeter:

ye lets walk into that minefield via tacmap (otherwise u you see the signs) and shift order them to walk in a circle to detonate all 4 fields x)

meanwhile axis 4 man squads just gets deleted in 0.1 seconds without counterplay (except sweeper). sminefield you still got 2 seconds to retreat.
10 Nov 2015, 07:57 AM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Nov 2015, 05:10 AMUnited

they have the biggest aoe because there are 4 mines in a S Minefield all of them procing individually

Small strips dont do enough damage (and again have signs)

Yes you can react to S minefields, the under attack radio call like any other mine occurs.

You dont need "instant reflexes" Especially because again, the mines have signs, again, units will radio call when they trip them and again, S mines have to be consistently proced to do wiping/serious damage.

No radio call for USF, only when driving over it with a vehicle. Infantry stay silent.
10 Nov 2015, 08:01 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

ye lets walk into that minefield via tacmap (otherwise u you see the signs) and shift order them to walk in a circle to detonate all 4 fields x)

meanwhile axis 4 man squads just gets deleted in 0.1 seconds without counterplay (except sweeper). sminefield you still got 2 seconds to retreat.

well ill be, counterplay you say. but did you know that riflemen dont say anything when walking into S-mines? So unless you're the GOD at micro himself, while microing ur other precious usf units,theyll just walk into these suggested invisible 15 muni 5 seconds to build s-mines that OP wants and die! Silently! You wont even notice till you see that unit icon disapear off the unit bar out of the corner of your eye,and hear "we've lost a unit!" SINCE RIFLEMEN DONT USE A VOICE LINE FOR MINEFIELDS.

S-mines would need a massive nurf if they are gonna be invisible.

BTW lets not act like Grens always die to one soviet mine,and if ur walking grens into territory sov has owned for most of the game without sweeping ur a n00b anyway. Thats just coh2 1oh1.
PAGES (7)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 51
Russian Federation 11
United States 14

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %