Login

russian armor

It just isn't fun anymore

PAGES (7)down
8 Feb 2015, 17:14 PM
Patrion 15

4 Factions, A shitload of commanders. I don't know about you, but i have around 15 different tactics to approach this game depending on faction choice and the enemy/combination of enemys i see. I'm far from mastering them all. None of those include less then 5 different units. I like those combined arms. And they do work. And yes, sometimes it takes more effort to punish the blob, then to a-move it. But then again, it brings me uberjoy to see those blobs transform into little xp values floating to the sky.

Try playing Ost and not just usf before offering opinion.

He's right though, I play a ton of Ostheer as they are one of my favorite factions. They certainly aren't the easiest to play or in the best state as far as balance in concerned, i'll admit that. However, I've been having a ton of fun (and success!) using ostruppen against USF. Developing and tweaking that strat to my taste has been really really fun and rewarding, and while it's certainly not as viable as 4-5 lmg grens into tiger, its a hell of a lot more fun to play, and I've maintained my ~150 rank using it. You can totally outplay your opponents unit cluster, it just takes a lot more effort and skill to do so than it does just to a move an OKW unit cluster of doom.

My advice: If the game is frustrating you, take a break for a few days. It also helps to acknowledge that stupid shit related to RNG and balance is going to screw you over some times, but at the end of the day you as the player have BY FAR the most influence on the outcome of a game. If you lost, it is without a doubt your fault.
8 Feb 2015, 17:38 PM
Patrion 14

I think 1v1 is in a good state of balance to be honest. I can't really speak towards team games, but they have always been harder to balance than 1v1 simply due to the increased amount of options and strategies more players provide.

But hey, you came here to post about how the game isn't that fun for you anymore (I mean, this happens for like every game) - so maybe you want people to change your mind?
8 Feb 2015, 18:22 PM

You guys ready for Britain DLC? MVGame
8 Feb 2015, 19:07 PM

i find that each faction plays very differently (and playable in a variety of ways), and the challenge of learning the nuances and tricks of each faction is what makes the game enjoyable for me. its also always fun to try out new builds that arent seen as often and see what works and what doesnt.

edit: lol at the people who use my quotes as sigs
8 Feb 2015, 19:25 PM
Benefactor 115

The game is sort of balanced, the real problem is the stale meta that doesn't allow for any deviation from the flavor-of-the-month build order.
8 Feb 2015, 19:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Feb 2015, 19:25 PMtuvok
The game is sort of balanced, the real problem is the stale meta that doesn't allow for any deviation from the flavor-of-the-month build order.

the real problem is you and your unwillingness to commit to the unconvential
8 Feb 2015, 19:41 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

the real problem is you and your unwillingness to commit to the unconvential

People don't like to lose :P
8 Feb 2015, 19:48 PM

People don't like to lose :P

the solution is simple.

1. you can perfectly win with unconventional strats as well.
2. dont take losses too seriously
3. play well.
8 Feb 2015, 20:00 PM

I don't care. I wont play OST and wont play 1vs1. In team games your precious OST is not that bad. Please show your playercard before you look at mine.
8 Feb 2015, 20:11 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Feb 2015, 20:00 PMJorad

I don't care. I wont play OST and wont play 1vs1. In team games your precious OST is not that bad. Please show your playercard before you look at mine.

kinda weird, as youre missing a big chunk of the game.
8 Feb 2015, 20:42 PM

Permanently Banned
inb4 su76 spam
8 Feb 2015, 20:45 PM

the solution is simple.

1. you can perfectly win with unconventional strats as well.
2. dont take losses too seriously
3. play well.

We have a winner. The only record that really matters is 1v1 and that's only if you're a pro/playing in competitions all the time.

Just chill out and enjoy the game.

8 Feb 2015, 20:46 PM

I agree, Ost is the true heritage of vCOH1 and quite fun. The others, meh.
8 Feb 2015, 21:50 PM

kinda weird, as youre missing a big chunk of the game.

With my time to play i can only afford 3vs3 with buddies and as USF. So it is not my fault that I am missing something.
8 Feb 2015, 21:56 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Feb 2015, 21:50 PMJorad

With my time to play i can only afford 3vs3 with buddies and as USF. So it is not my fault that I am missing something.

Only you decide what and when you play...so yea, it kinda is your fault.
8 Feb 2015, 22:15 PM

Only you decide what and when you play...so yea, it kinda is your fault.

So i decide to not play 1vs1 and as OST.
8 Feb 2015, 22:24 PM

Ive always been a fan of developing my own strats, or at least putting my own slant on them, thats when I get the most enjoyment. It feels great to win with something origional rather than just copying.

I also feel that an unconventional strat is more likely to catch your opponent out.
8 Feb 2015, 23:51 PM

I don't think the argument is that you can't use alternative strategies, just that they're far less effective and sometimes detrimental. Soviet vs OKW with a doctrine is hard enough, fighting them with just stock units, oh god have mercy...
9 Feb 2015, 00:48 AM

Ive always been a fan of developing my own strats, or at least putting my own slant on them, thats when I get the most enjoyment. It feels great to win with something origional rather than just copying.

I also feel that an unconventional strat is more likely to catch your opponent out.

Sadly, unconventional strats (that actually work, which are rarer than hens teeth) just lead to your opponent having tantrums in chat about how OP XYZ faction is and then rage quiting after the game has been going for 5 minutes...

I too am sick of this game, many members of its total partisan community, as well as how the PR for the game is run by those on high.

I've put a lot of time and effort into CoH2, it was one of my favourite games, whatever its significant flaws, I kept coming back to it because there's no game out there which does what it does. Playing it now however is infuriating and depressing. I'll probably keep coming back to it as I always do (mores the pity), but when I do I'm expecting to find a poorly balanced mess, with imbalanced and ahistorical unit line ups, creeping nazi fanboyism and the perception that certain factions deserve to win beyond a certain point.

That's my piece, disagree all you want. In CoH2 I simply have nothing to be excited about. If there were another game like CoH2 whose community wasn't even worse (Men of War), then I'd have left long ago.
PAGES (7)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS