Login

russian armor

Mg42 constantly humiliated

15 Dec 2014, 20:07 PM

This unit has become a laughing stock.
Problem 1 - Mobility.Ok maybe,always was that way.
Problem 2 - Speed at which it suppresses inconsistent.
Problem 3 - BIGGEST PROBLEM-deals no damage.Suppressed squads crawl forward with impunity knowing they can take it just enough for a grenade/molotov,then run away.Result-even after succesfully suppressing the squad i lost more models than he did.WTF.Suppressed squads know they can just lie there and take it.
Problem 4 - Too easily avoided.Smoke for rifles,Urrah for conscripts.Since it can't kill models at any pace mg 42 is only useful vs blind frontal blob charge and nothing else.Suppressed squads know they can grenade or smoke and deal with it without any problems.

When u combine all these problems you have the current dismal unit adding to the woes of ostheer earlygame.So much for the most feared infantry weapon of ww2 and wehrmacht's trademark unit.Disgrace.
15 Dec 2014, 20:18 PM

Stop using it as maxim, watch streamers who know how to use it and where to position it.
15 Dec 2014, 20:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Dec 2014, 20:18 PMKatitof
Stop using it as maxim, watch streamers who know how to use it and where to position it.

Yeah, I bet that's why OST has lowest win rate in the SNF tournaments.

Not to mention many "streamers who know how to use it" don't even build the mg42 at all.

This unit has become a laughing stock.
Problem 1 - Mobility.Ok maybe,always was that way.
Problem 2 - Speed at which it suppresses inconsistent.
Problem 3 - BIGGEST PROBLEM-deals no damage.Suppressed squads crawl forward with impunity knowing they can take it just enough for a grenade/molotov,then run away.Result-even after succesfully suppressing the squad i lost more models than he did.WTF.Suppressed squads know they can just lie there and take it.
Problem 4 - Too easily avoided.Smoke for rifles,Urrah for conscripts.Since it can't kill models at any pace mg 42 is only useful vs blind frontal blob charge and nothing else.Suppressed squads know they can grenade or smoke and deal with it without any problems.

When u combine all these problems you have the current dismal unit adding to the woes of ostheer earlygame.So much for the most feared infantry weapon of ww2 and wehrmacht's trademark unit.Disgrace.

Now that we got the troll out of our way, we can discuss mg42.

Mg42s were overnerfed but it seems Relic is bent on making this game a infantry blobbing meta.

My suggestion is to ditch Ostheer for OKW or play allies until they get a new senior game designer.
15 Dec 2014, 20:37 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Dec 2014, 20:18 PMKatitof
MG42 is useless versus the current US rifle blobs. Just run in and come out on top versus an infantry hard counter. Definitely needs more suppression.
15 Dec 2014, 20:43 PM
Donator 22

nah not useless, maybe decrease the set up time but thats it :P
15 Dec 2014, 20:49 PM

SNF, right now, go watch, learn.
15 Dec 2014, 20:50 PM
Patrion 310

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Dec 2014, 20:49 PMKatitof

I dunno, its not like Jesulin knows anything.

Since I've only been playing 4v4 recently, Double MG42 supporting each other can work wonders against even rifleman blobs. Whats more, they are useful for supressing a blob where as a maxim has to be fired at every single squad in a blob to supress them all.
15 Dec 2014, 20:59 PM

Ostheer confirmed op!!!!
15 Dec 2014, 20:59 PM

Atleast MG42 is better than the .50cal!
15 Dec 2014, 21:24 PM

maybe we look at the game's meta statistics overall and not an exception to the current norm. there will always be outliers.
15 Dec 2014, 21:28 PM

Implying Jesulin wouldn't have won regardless of army choice :P
15 Dec 2014, 21:36 PM
Patrion 28

Atleast MG42 is better than the .50cal!

holy shit, no it's not.

the MG42 is a support weapon. personally, i don't care that it doesn't do any damage, i just want it to be able to reliably suppress units in it's arc instead of units in the middle half of the arc. there isn't any value in having a huge arc when the traverse is to slow for most of it.

as far as tactics go...

against riflemen who smoke, move it back. you can move it back and get it resetup before they get unsuppressed. if they smoke you multiple times you're going to need something else, either another MG42 or more gren squads to kill more riflemen before they get back up.

against conscripts, move it if they flank and shoot at the conscripts with something else. unless the enemy has more cons than you have grens you don't need MG42s against them anyway.
15 Dec 2014, 21:56 PM

But what can you do? I dont use the mg42 for the same reason i reject using the m2 late game. Enemy infantry can walk in front of it and kill it. 25% increased received accuracy sure doesnt help mg's at all, and LMG's when surpressed still do enough damage to kill the gunner, and then the next guy up, and then the squad/blob/hell gets unsuppressed and finishes it off.

Tactically, i find the mg42 traverse a bit too slow... If you want damage, thats what incendiary rounds are for. (Yes, the gunner has to fumble for the magazine, but then there should also be manual reloads if the player wants to manually reload an mg. Could slightly help...)

I also heard an idea to make suppressed squads crawl to the mg slower, but let them crawl backwards/away as they normally do.
15 Dec 2014, 22:11 PM
Donator 11

Bulletins have a nice placebo effect for my mg42s. :)
15 Dec 2014, 22:42 PM

holy shit, no it's not.

the MG42 is a support weapon. personally, i don't care that it doesn't do any damage, i just want it to be able to reliably suppress units in it's arc instead of units in the middle half of the arc. there isn't any value in having a huge arc when the traverse is to slow for most of it.

as far as tactics go...

against riflemen who smoke, move it back. you can move it back and get it resetup before they get unsuppressed. if they smoke you multiple times you're going to need something else, either another MG42 or more gren squads to kill more riflemen before they get back up.

against conscripts, move it if they flank and shoot at the conscripts with something else. unless the enemy has more cons than you have grens you don't need MG42s against them anyway.

.50cal has a narrow arc and a very slow rate of fire. I find myself retreating this MG every time because its really easy to fight off. Now with the MG42, the gun has an excellent rate of fire, largest arc and not to mention a superb vet ability! You have to put a little effort into the MG42 when the Rifles are not being suppressed within the arc, just make sure to change the target to the unsuppressed squad.
15 Dec 2014, 23:16 PM

Maybe, given the amount of easy ways to flank it, its unsetup time and the weapon traverse are too slow. Maybe.

But please when u try to judge it, dont judge it comparing 240 mp against a blob of mp. So its propably going to be a 720 (cons) or 810 (rifles) MP blob. Good placement of the mg and 2 Grens are gonna put the hurt if positioning is right. Add to that, that you could have a pio, which is of more utility in that fight then REs or CEs.
15 Dec 2014, 23:24 PM

Permanently Banned
I think the problem is the way the MG42 scales. When it's the start of the game, it usually doesn't have a problem suppressing troops unless they are behind green cover. But as the battle progresses and craters litter the battlefield, creating a wave of medium cover over the main battle areas, the MG42 seems to struggle to suppress infantry moving through it.

In general I don't like the way suppression works in CoH2: it takes a long time to suppress, but when it does the AoE hit's units that shouldn't be getting suppressed realistically, and then they stay down on the ground forever, unable to get effectively unsuppressed unless smoke is thrown or all enemies completely stop firing at them. I've seen Kar98 Grens keep Riflemen down who had been suppressed like 10 seconds earlier, for another 10 seconds or so.

I'd like to see MGs suppress a bit quicker, but I'd like to see units get back up from suppression quicker too, once there is no more suppression weapons firing at them.
16 Dec 2014, 00:06 AM

build grenadier first, then a MG42, you can't expect it pins enemy squad and kill them, after Pining down, relocate your MG42 position for there's nothing more it can do after pin, MG42 doesn't act core weapon in earth game like in vCOH, but as German player you have more equipment at your disposal.
16 Dec 2014, 00:17 AM

I think the problem is the way the MG42 scales. When it's the start of the game, it usually doesn't have a problem suppressing troops unless they are behind green cover. But as the battle progresses and craters litter the battlefield, creating a wave of medium cover over the main battle areas, the MG42 seems to struggle to suppress infantry moving through it. I'd like to see MGs suppress a bit quicker,

Yes, maybe, with vet.
but I'd like to see units get back up from suppression quicker too, once there is no more suppression weapons firing at them.

Please not, its something that rewards switching targets and keeping fire on a squad to keep it supressed. Its combined arms micro rewarded, would be lame to take that away.

Whats the Vet bonus of mg42, can anyone tell?
16 Dec 2014, 00:34 AM

Whats the Vet bonus of mg42, can anyone tell?

+20% Suppression and +30% Horizontal Traverse. Basically at Vet 2 it covers its faults and becomes actually good, rather than being "flanked" just by rushing 2 squads at it a few meters apart.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 100
France 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment