Login

russian armor

Why 222 has huge size?

11 Dec 2014, 14:07 PM

Why model in game so big? Compare to M20 looks like Mouse Tank. Would it help if Relic change its Size, Rotation speed may be pathing would be better

11 Dec 2014, 21:18 PM

I've thought about this too. It looks like a tank in its current state.
11 Dec 2014, 21:53 PM

Although it does look a little large in game (it rides too high on it's suspension) historically the 222 wasn't that much smaller than a P4.
11 Dec 2014, 22:04 PM

The simple answer: It's because the model was ported over from CoH1.

The longer answer: CoH1 wasn't nearly as concerned with authenticity as CoH2 is, a lot of CoH1's models were inaccurate or scaled poorly. For example, the tiny M18 Hellcat should be smaller than a sherman, but was nearly the size of a Tiger Tank. The Tiger Tank itself is also seems slightly fatter than it should be. When THQ started to falter, Relic was rushed to get their next game out the door ASAP. As a result several of Wehrmacht's units are just modified ports from CoH1. Iirc these include the Wehrmach's MG 42, 222, 250, 251, Panzer IV, Panther, and Tiger.

That said, the 222 also seems slightly disproportionate to me as well, I think it's the area between the angled plates combined with the enlarged size.
11 Dec 2014, 22:08 PM

Yes the Jagdtiger and Elefant look out of proportion too. THe Elefant looks huge compared to the Jagdtiger. Not sure how big and wide they were in real life
11 Dec 2014, 22:30 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Dec 2014, 22:08 PMNinjaWJ
Yes the Jagdtiger and Elefant look out of proportion too. THe Elefant looks huge compared to the Jagdtiger. Not sure how big and wide they were in real life

They were actually pretty similar in size, for scale, here's one of each with their respective crews:

These pictures made me realise that both tanks while roughly proper scale relative to each other, are both oversized by a small amount. We may be going too deep here! These are still minor to the 222 though, which is noticeable at a glance.

What does bug me as much as the 222 (not majorly but still noticeable) is the scale of trains. They're so freakin' tiny! Flat cars were frequenctly used to carry tanks, but these trains can barely fit Half-Tracks.
11 Dec 2014, 22:44 PM

This game is really inaccurate when it comes to the size of the tanks.

The T34 and ISU152s for example are just too big. The IS2 is like the size of a Tiger tank but in real life the IS2s are a .30 meters shorter.

If only Relic would scale things much better which shouldn't be too hard.
11 Dec 2014, 22:49 PM

Yeah the IS2 looks really big
11 Dec 2014, 23:27 PM

The most glaring issues to me are the hilarious mistakes in the models of certain tanks...
11 Dec 2014, 23:55 PM

The worst for me is the scale of buildings in COH2. If you notice all buildings are scaled down by 20-30%. Doors are shorter sometimes to the human models. If you check semois for example in COH1 the houses and church were properly scaled to the human models compared to COH2 where it looks like the smurf village. Its a pity cause this game at times looks amazing, I wish they paid attention to details a bit more.
11 Dec 2014, 23:59 PM

It definitely would be nice if relic scaled down the sizes of some of the models but I imagine it is pretty low on their priority list. Somewhere behind balance, optimization, net code, bug fixes, warspoil overhaul, and new content.
12 Dec 2014, 00:03 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Dec 2014, 23:59 PMCabreza
It definitely would be nice if relic scaled down the sizes of some of the models but I imagine it is pretty low on their priority list. Somewhere behind balance, optimization, net code, bug fixes, warspoil overhaul, and new content.

If by "pretty low" you mean not on their list at all, I'd believe it :P

Would be nice, aesthetics are nice to have.
12 Dec 2014, 00:07 AM

If by "pretty low" you mean not on their list at all, I'd believe it :P

Would be nice, aesthetics are nice to have.

Very true. I doubt it has even occurred to relic or if it has been brushed aside.

I bear can dream though.
12 Dec 2014, 08:20 AM

I have to say that I never realized the small scaling before. I don't think it is that much of a problem. Scaling everything up on the other hand could cause a hell of problems including pathing and units stuck in buildings.
Leave it at it is. Don't give them ideas :D
12 Dec 2014, 12:06 PM

In CoH1 the soldier models were giants, standing at about 2,10m. Thus especially open topped vehicles (where you could see the soldiers) like the Marder III, Hellcat and Halftracks were out of proportion too.

I assume this is the same case in CoH2.

Might be for the players to properly recognize their units. Rumor has it that easy unit recognition was also the reason why CoH1 Grens wore pajamas.

12 Dec 2014, 15:22 PM

I have to say that I never realized the small scaling before. I don't think it is that much of a problem. Scaling everything up on the other hand could cause a hell of problems including pathing and units stuck in buildings.
Leave it at it is. Don't give them ideas :D

Well at least they could raise the height. And if it worked for COH 1 why it shouldnt on the second?
12 Dec 2014, 22:30 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Dec 2014, 12:06 PMButcher
In CoH1 the soldier models were giants, standing at about 2,10m.

I've heard people say this, but in relation to what are we speaking about?

Using Worldbuilder for scale, humans in CoH2 are about 1.92 meters.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 9
United States 3
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak