Login

russian armor

Blitz ability too good?

PAGES (7)down
3 Oct 2014, 12:15 PM

Imagine the butthurt when they would have done to it what they have done to soviet SPGs vet1 ability(double the cost, nerf efficiency by 50%, call it balanced as a ninja change).

:lolol:
3 Oct 2014, 12:24 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

I think its bad to suggest abilities to just be removed from the game entirely. Seems to me like a lazy balance. There have been tons of suggestions to fix blitzkrieg that I rather like. Don't forget also that if allied tanks just got some proper buffs and vet bonus, blitzkrieg might not seem so OP.
3 Oct 2014, 12:39 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Oct 2014, 12:24 PMRomeo
Seems to me like a lazy balance.

Isn't that what relic does since WFA?
3 Oct 2014, 13:06 PM

Isn't that what relic does since WFA?

I laughed so hard at this.
3 Oct 2014, 13:18 PM

The blitz ability really does not fit into the coh2 universe. You cannot give speed steroids to tanks like that. It just breaks the game. The nerfed blitz worked fine. You could out accelerate through snow, mud and rivers to flank tanks.

Blitz needs to be something else. It needs a draw back too. If you cap with the soviet vet 1 you cannot shoot your main gun and you must not move. But with blitz what is the draw back? There is no ill effect or trade off. If you wanna keep the speed steroid then you need engine to overheat after its use and only moving forward. You would need to stop moving for your engines to cool off.
3 Oct 2014, 13:25 PM

The blitz ability really does not fit into the coh2 universe. You cannot give speed steroids to tanks like that. It just breaks the game. The nerfed blitz worked fine. You could out accelerate through snow, mud and rivers to flank tanks.

Actually, you can, but you need to take into account overall units strengths and weaknesses.

Remember coh1 cromwells? They pretty much had blitz, but it was suitable for them as they had terrible penetration and needed that extra flanking speed.

Meanwhile we have CoH2 and axis blitz, the speed and acceleration boost on already sturdy tanks with already great penetration.

USF are most mobile faction? Sure. Especially now that all wehr inf can have doctrinal sprint and all tanks have blitz. Oh, and lets not forget about tactical maneuvers 20s global sprint.

Soviets having most firepower(according to WFA release graphs)? Not really outside of ISU and B-4.

Relic simply have no slightest idea what to do with the game, the balance, the problematic abilities.

But hey, they are "thinking hard" about them. :snfQuinn::snfPeter:
Vaz
3 Oct 2014, 13:40 PM

agree that blitz is dumb on panthers and tigers

All I could do is laugh the first time I watched a panther clear the main road in city 17 in about 2 seconds.

The thing is faster than a car. Last night I was throwing out jokes about how fast blitz panthers are compared to how slow the American ambulance is.
3 Oct 2014, 14:16 PM

Blitzkrieg is one of the main reasons why the call in meta is so bad. With Blitzkrieg, dedicated Allied Tank Destroyers, SU-85's and Jacksons are so bad and are countered by varsatile, strong tanks that are supposed to be countered by the dedicate Tank destroyers. Jacksons and SU-85's are not able to make use of their extra range due to blitzkrieg closing the distance far too easily and then just 1v1'ing the tank destroyer and then driving away.

On top of the insane engage potential, Blitzkrieg and especially combined with Panzer Tactician are just completely get out of jail free cards that does nothing other than to promote and reward bad, unskillful play. Axis armour is already have so much more health, armour, versatility and versing inferior Allied AT. There is no reason why the heavy Axis tanks need Blitzkreig. It's silly on Panzer IV's, let alone Panthers Tigers and King Tigers. The state of balance and dynamic would be so much better if Blitzkrieg just didn't even exist. It's not like Soviet tanks actually get any kind of bonus at vet1.

Wo, you basically read my mind!!

Not sure how it is for USA, but blitzkrieg basically invalidates Soviet AT. Soviets rely on the SU85 and ZiS, which require time to reposition (with the SU85 being turretless). Blitz allows German vehicles to quickly flank your AT or to close the distance fast to invalidate range.

Its synergy with Axis vehicles and abilities is also shocking. Panthers and Tigers already have decent speed, armor, and weaponry, adding blitz to that list makes it horrendously unfair. Blitz combined with smoke is also very unfair
4 Oct 2014, 06:54 AM
Patrion 14

My favorite part about blitz is how the Panther can outrun a P47 rocket at top speed with it. It was actually pretty entertaining to watch, almost like the P47 was using a hellfire to follow the panther, but to no avail.
4 Oct 2014, 10:23 AM

My favorite part about blitz is how the Panther can outrun a P47 rocket at top speed with it. It was actually pretty entertaining to watch, almost like the P47 was using a hellfire to follow the panther, but to no avail.

My favourite thing is when you attempt to ram a panther with T-34/76 and Panther simply Blitz+Reverse until T-34 runs out of steam and stops with overheated engine. Then Panther blitz is over and it just drives away like nothing happened. Fantastic balance!
4 Oct 2014, 11:14 AM

My favourite thing is when you attempt to ram a panther with T-34/76 and Panther simply Blitz+Reverse until T-34 runs out of steam and stops with overheated engine. Then Panther blitz is over and it just drives away like nothing happened. Fantastic balance!

Yeah...Panthers should get overheated engine too.
4 Oct 2014, 11:49 AM

Its a get out jail for the already more powerful axis tanks. Makes sens, doesnt it?
4 Oct 2014, 12:27 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Oct 2014, 11:36 AMy3ivan
Blitz was nerf (changed) pre-WFA and unnerf during WFA

whats up relic??

Actually.. it's fine as it is. Seems to be the only thing that can effectively kill shock troops according to that GIF! :rofl:
4 Oct 2014, 19:32 PM

I read somewhere that tigers spent 1000litres/100km (didin't check if it's true). Why not make blitz cost fuel instead of muni? You know, because realism :D
4 Oct 2014, 20:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Oct 2014, 19:32 PMGazbag
I read somewhere that tigers spent 1000litres/100km (didin't check if it's true). Why not make blitz cost fuel instead of muni? You know, because realism :D

A round of applause for you, that is actually a pretty good suggestion.
4 Oct 2014, 23:31 PM

A round of applause for you, that is actually a pretty good suggestion.

Because as per Company of Heroes design, even back in vCoH, all "abilities" cost munitions. It's already been suggested and the reasons have been stated as to why it won't work that way.
4 Oct 2014, 23:35 PM

Imagine the butthurt when they would have done to it what they have done to soviet SPGs vet1 ability(double the cost, nerf efficiency by 50%, call it balanced as a ninja change).

Say that first line again in English please
4 Oct 2014, 23:57 PM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Oct 2014, 23:31 PMSierra

Because as per Company of Heroes design, even back in vCoH, all "abilities" cost munitions. It's already been suggested and the reasons have been stated as to why it won't work that way.

That's actually not a good enough reason. In Coh1, all off map abilities cost munitions (unless you count overdrive for the Cromwell). In Coh2, relic has added abilities that cost fuel. (The "breakthrough" ability for the encirclement doctrine). Munitions for abilities may be the norm, but that does not mean that it is the rule. If you have evidence (such as a statement) from a dev or other relic employee that no abilities are allowed to cost fuel, then I will accept that conclusion.

I personally have started playing lots of OKW since WFA, and I believe that combat blitz and blitz need a rework overall, as they are just stupid broken in terms of the cost/ function of their useage. It is an ability which allows one to take the best armored units in the game, and then give them both a "get out of jail free card" and a way to chase own wounded enemy armor that does not benefit from such bonuses. It even flat out negates the advantage that allied armor supposedly has, which is mobility.
5 Oct 2014, 02:11 AM

That's actually not a good enough reason. In Coh1, all off map abilities cost munitions (unless you count overdrive for the Cromwell). In Coh2, relic has added abilities that cost fuel. (The "breakthrough" ability for the encirclement doctrine). Munitions for abilities may be the norm, but that does not mean that it is the rule. If you have evidence (such as a statement) from a dev or other relic employee that no abilities are allowed to cost fuel, then I will accept that conclusion.

I personally have started playing lots of OKW since WFA, and I believe that combat blitz and blitz need a rework overall, as they are just stupid broken in terms of the cost/ function of their useage. It is an ability which allows one to take the best armored units in the game, and then give them both a "get out of jail free card" and a way to chase own wounded enemy armor that does not benefit from such bonuses. It even flat out negates the advantage that allied armor supposedly has, which is mobility.

It is an interesting debate really, because historically the Germans broke massive ground with their tanks which provided a perfect mix of mobility and protection. While the Soviets did have a sloped turret design with their tanks that provided protection benefits, they were often very vulnerable. (Lack of radios for communication for the T-34/76) and many weaknesses around the tracks/wheels, and their small-ish- caliber guns)

The Panther was extremely fast, powerful, and well armored for its time, it is lauded as the "First Modern MBT". They even were issued Infrared Optics to work in tandem with the Uhu-Infrared Spotlight Halftrack(Eye of Sauron - Halftrack) For nigh-time operations.

I'd be more than willing to say that the overdrive could use a rework if German tanks could make more efficient use of their guns. The most important thing being that their tanks had high velocity guns that allowed them to fire at extreme ranges and still maintain powerful penetration against other armored vehicles.

As it stands most German tanks don't hit or do reliable damage unless they are at punching distance.. many don't even fire unless they are in punching distance.
5 Oct 2014, 03:55 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Oct 2014, 02:11 AMSierra

It is an interesting debate really, because historically the Germans broke massive ground with their tanks which provided a perfect mix of mobility and protection. While the Soviets did have a sloped turret design with their tanks that provided protection benefits, they were often very vulnerable. (Lack of radios for communication for the T-34/76) and many weaknesses around the tracks/wheels, and their small-ish- caliber guns)

The Panther was extremely fast, powerful, and well armored for its time, it is lauded as the "First Modern MBT".

If anything, it's the T-34 that broke the most ground. Look at what the Germans had in 1941, Panzer IIs and III with the low calibre guns you mentioned the Soviets having (The T-34 always had a 76mm gun, which is a pretty significantly sized weapon considering that everyone else was still using 40-50mm guns... (or less in the case of many German tanks, looking at early models of the panzer III and the Panzer 38t. So the idea that Soviets had smaller calibre guns is nonsense, the largest gun on a German tank was on the StuG A and PIV D-E varients, with a 75mm gun whose muzzle velocity was thoroughly pitiful...

All I can say is that if anything the Soviets were ahead with their tanks (definitely with the T-34) and the Germans had to do the catching up in 1941-2, it was thanks to the woeful state of the rest of the Red Army that they were able to advance...

The Germans if anything probably went backwards with their tank designs toward the end of the war, with the Panther probably being their high water mark. The reason I say this is that look at what the Germans were developing: the Tiger, which whilst it has this awesome reputation, is constantly breaking down and is extremely complex, the Panther, which is also expensive, complex and breaking down (the French when they had panthers in their army after the war considered using them in operations but deemed them too unreliable...) then you have the Tiger II (underpowered, slow, complex), and then the rest of the Tank destroyers they made which are either unsuited for anti-infantry operations and/or are just overkill, probably only the Jagdpanther was any good...

Even the Panzer IV was backward in a whole pile of areas (a factor which the game entirely fails to show...) As for the Soviets being weak in the tracks, at least they were wide enough for them not to sink into the mud like the P4...

If you look at today's militarys, you'll notice a distinct lack of Heavy Tanks, Heavy Tank Destroyers or the like. There will however be a large amount of vehicles with a curious resemblance to the T-34 in their role...

PAGES (7)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS