Login

russian armor

The buffed Assault Engineers

12 Sep 2014, 18:44 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Wehrmacht is pretty fucked against them, only the Mg42 can really help deal with them in the beginning, but having 2 AE squads allows for easy flanks that will wipe the mg if it isn't retreated immediately.
12 Sep 2014, 20:03 PM

AE's need to get the Sturmpio treatment, longer life in exchange for reduced DPS. Make them roughly equal to Assault Grenadiers, or keep them superior and jack up the price.
12 Sep 2014, 20:26 PM

I don't understand why Relic chose to make MP-40's so weak...I mean they are firing 9mm rounds those things are going to hurt, especially if they were special issue hollow point rounds, and that's just talking about the Ostheer's Assault Grenadiers!

The STG-44 fired the 7.92x33mm Kurz round, the same ammo used by the K98k.

The M3 "Grease Gun" used a .45 ACP (Auto-Colt Pistol) cartridge that the Thompson and the M1911 used.
12 Sep 2014, 20:37 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Sep 2014, 20:26 PMSierra

No, the Kar 98 used the 7.92×57mm Mauser.
12 Sep 2014, 20:39 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Sep 2014, 20:26 PMSierra
I don't understand why Relic chose to make MP-40's so weak...I mean they are firing 9mm rounds those things are going to hurt, especially if they were special issue hollow point rounds, and that's just talking about the Ostheer's Assault Grenadiers!

The M3 "Grease Gun" used a .45 ACP (Auto-Colt Pistol) cartridge that the Thompson and the M1911 used.

Actually, the MP-40 had weaker spotting power than the .45 ACP because it simply flew too fast and was too small. The .45 ACP was subsonic and huge, both those combined means that you're going down if you get hit by it.

The StG-44 fired a the Kurtz version of the 7.92, the Kar98K still used the full-sized 7.92x53 rifle cartridge (otherwise, it'd be a carbine and not a rifle - "kurtz" simlpy meant taking the WWI-era Gewher 43 rifle and chopping off a good portion of the barrel). The Kar98k was a carbine only in name.
12 Sep 2014, 21:04 PM

Actually, the MP-40 had weaker spotting power than the .45 ACP because it simply flew too fast and was too small. The .45 ACP was subsonic and huge, both those combined means that you're going down if you get hit by it.

The StG-44 fired a the Kurtz version of the 7.92, the Kar98K still used the full-sized 7.92x53 rifle cartridge (otherwise, it'd be a carbine and not a rifle - "kurtz" simlpy meant taking the WWI-era Gewher 43 rifle and chopping off a good portion of the barrel). The Kar98k was a carbine only in name.

I guess lack of sleep contributing to my misreading of the article before posting is too convenient to believe?

That said STG-44 should hurt, a lot, it doesn't currently.
12 Sep 2014, 21:09 PM

I dunno, I played against them in a game with Fortune. They're good but not OP.

Demo is fckn annoying though. But the engies themselves seems kinda ok. At least vs OKW.
12 Sep 2014, 21:11 PM

The Assault Engineers should be armed with Thomsons. Purely from a cosmetic standpoint. It makes no sense that vehicle crews do shit damage with grease guns and assault engineers do tons of damage with them.
12 Sep 2014, 21:12 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Sep 2014, 18:44 PMTobis
Wehrmacht is pretty fucked against them, only the Mg42 can really help deal with them in the beginning, but having 2 AE squads allows for easy flanks that will wipe the mg if it isn't retreated immediately.

If the USF player is going heavy into Assault Engies, he's trading midgame power for more early game power. Assault Engies are going to have lots of problems once you get LMG-42s on your Grens.

The Assault Engineers should be armed with Thomsons. Purely from a cosmetic standpoint. It makes no sense that vehicle crews do shit damage with grease guns and assault engineers do tons of damage with them.

What about Rear Echelon and Paratroopers? They both use the M1A1 Carbine. Kind of a weird complaint.
12 Sep 2014, 21:16 PM

Conscript mostins vs guard mosins?
Osttrupen KARs vs gren/ober KARs?
Partisan LMG42 vs gren LMG42?
RETs carbines vs paratrooper carbines?
Pios MP40 vs AGs MP40?
I will stop here, but I can write the list for the next 5 minutes.
12 Sep 2014, 21:24 PM

What about Rear Echelon and Paratroopers? They both use the M1A1 Carbine. Kind of a weird complaint.

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Sep 2014, 21:16 PMKatitof

Conscript mostins vs guard mosins?
Osttrupen KARs vs gren/ober KARs?
Partisan LMG42 vs gren LMG42?
RETs carbines vs paratrooper carbines?
Pios MP40 vs AGs MP40?
I will stop here, but I can write the list for the next 5 minutes.

Most of the weapons named here actually require a good deal of practice to wield effectively. It's perfectly reasonably for Rear Echelon Troops to have more trouble firing a semi-automatic rifle while highly trained elite paratroopers can use them effectively. This applies even more to Bolt Action rifles and LMGs.

What it does not work for is SMGs which are rather easy to wield and use in close combat. Not a whole lot of recoil (for most of them anyway), light weight, a high rate of fire and big targets (because they are so close). Assault grens MP40s and Pio MP40s also don't have the drastic performance gap between the two as vehicle crews and assault engies have.
12 Sep 2014, 21:28 PM

As OKW, a Kubel counters them handily, as do Sturmpios (preferably in cover) with Volks support. Once you get your truck, Volks get vet and a grenade, you can start beating them back reliably, and their scaling is quite poor so once OKW elite infantry hits the field they start to fall off hard.

As Ostheer, however, they're a friggin nightmare. Only a well placed MG42 can stop them, and that's assuming 1) that the map allows your MG a clear field of fire 2) that the US player doesn't flank because that means instant MG retreat or die and 3) that no rifles with smoke are around. If they run around in well microed pairs, there's pretty much nothing you can do to stop them until the 222 is out, and usually this means the US player has taken most of the map by then and can get out a Captain to ruin your day further.

I do have some success mixing a pioneer squad with my grens. If not targeted, the little guys can inflict surprising amounts of damage. But that's a stopgap measure at best.

I think they need a cost increase. Currently they're too spammable for how much damage they do.
12 Sep 2014, 21:32 PM

Most of the weapons named here actually require a good deal of practice to wield effectively. It's perfectly reasonably for Rear Echelon Troops to have more trouble firing a semi-automatic rifle while highly trained elite paratroopers can use them effectively. This applies even more to Bolt Action rifles and LMGs.

What it does not work for is SMGs which are rather easy to wield and use in close combat. Not a whole lot of recoil (for most of them anyway), light weight, a high rate of fire and big targets (because they are so close). Assault grens MP40s and Pio MP40s also don't have the drastic performance gap between the two as vehicle crews and assault engies have.

So why do you believe assault engineers(you know, the units that were being send into the fight before main force advance to get rid of blockades/bunkers/prepare the routes for advance together with scouting units, yes, IRL argument, but only to show you that they are NOT smg equipped RETs, but actual front line troops specializing in certain tasks that include combat) should not operate their SMG better then a bunch of guys who were trained in operating a vehicle?
12 Sep 2014, 21:45 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Sep 2014, 21:32 PMKatitof

So why do you believe assault engineers(you know, the units that were being send into the fight before main force advance to get rid of blockades/bunkers/prepare the routes for advance together with scouting units, yes, IRL argument, but only to show you that they are NOT smg equipped RETs, but actual front line troops specializing in certain tasks that include combat) should not operate their SMG better then a bunch of guys who were trained in operating a vehicle?

Could not and was not the exact same argument applied to Sturmpioneers not all that long ago?!
12 Sep 2014, 21:45 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Sep 2014, 21:32 PMKatitof

Did you even read this bit?

The DPS gap between the two is too high considering they both have the easiest type of weapon that you can have. Having Assault Engies armed with thompsons, a much more damaging SMG than the grease gun, makes a lot more sense than having them have easy to use grease guns that somehow fire magic bullets that do way more damage.
12 Sep 2014, 22:23 PM

Can anybody reasonably explain me, why Assault Grenadiers, while costing the same, are blatantly outperformed by Assault Engineers?

-They come at the same
-Their effective range is the same
-Assault Engineers scale better due flamethrowers & satchels
12 Sep 2014, 22:34 PM

Durability, DPS, mobility, utility.

Pick two and you have an infantry unit.

AEs got DPS and utility.
AGs got mobility and durability.

There are exceptions, but not frequent and the exceptions usually got short end of the stick.
13 Sep 2014, 00:18 AM

they're a 4 man squad fighting axis units

they are incredibly fragile
13 Sep 2014, 00:39 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Sep 2014, 22:34 PMKatitof
Durability, DPS, mobility, utility.

Pick two and you have an infantry unit.

AEs got DPS and utility.
AGs got mobility and durability.

There are exceptions, but not frequent and the exceptions usually got short end of the stick.

Please elaborate your points in more detail.

AssEns rape AssGrens.
In a direct engangement AGs are therefore not more durable. There is not one match up (except for closing in over red cover against gren cover) that could be won by AssGrens. It's not balanced out like Grens vs Cons (dps vs duarbility) as the DPS of the AssEns overshadows the Durability of the AssGrens. Might be different if they would be a 6 man squad - but they are not.

Clearly shows that you are trolling as you imply the sprint ability has the same value (price wise) like explosives and repairs.

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Sep 2014, 00:18 AMArclyte
they're a 4 man squad fighting axis units

Thanks, I didn't knew that before! Keep of posting if you can only spam one-liners that don't have any value.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 52
unknown 18
Russian Federation 8
United States 13

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %