Login

russian armor

Katyusha seriously need a nerf

• This thread is locked
PAGES (20)down
24 Jul 2014, 11:22 AM

It is so much fun :D
I am joining 4v4 games with soviet industry commander pumping out katyuashas only.

Just had one with 63 kills after 3 barrages hahaha
24 Jul 2014, 11:36 AM

Panzerwerfer, you say?

Whats that?

Never seen or heard!

Maybe try using it and dont look what people say here ?

I've used it yesterday to see just had bad it is. First hit 8 kills second 10 kills. When i lost it it had 60 something kills. Such a waste of resources!
24 Jul 2014, 11:53 AM

Yes, Katyusha is overperforming at the moment. It needed a buff, but that was vastly over the top. There are some reasons why it can't be kept that way:
- Overall damage output: 16 rockets at 160 damage are 2560 damage. That's sufficient to instakill all Oberkommando trucks. A single Katyusha, a single barrage. It needs 13 rockets to hit.
- Flight time: The Katyushas rockets fly for a far shorter time than the Walking Stukas. Stuka gives you a chance to react and spread your squads, Katyusha barely does, especially if fired from anything but max range. You should be able to predict where the rockets impact AND be able to react according.
- AoE profile and damage: While the Walking Stuka has by far the best AoE profile, the Katyusha is now a close second. Taking the squadsizes (and formation) into consideration they should have the same chance to instawipe a squad.

None of these are things that can easily be balanced out by just increasing the cooldown. If you remember the old Walking Stuka - even 5 minute cooldown would've still kept that unit useful. They actually need to be changed, but in a way that still keeps the unit useful. 100 damage on the rockets would still mean it could oneshot the FlaK HT if all rockets hit, so I fear it really needs to go back to 80. This can be compensated by a better AoE profile and maybe more penetration (or giving it crew stuns or whatever). The alternative would be probably something that shoots less rockets, but still at a high damage. Right know it deals twice the damage of a Walking Stuka and in a smaller area, making it far too good against static objects.
24 Jul 2014, 11:59 AM

before this patch katyushas were useless you needed like 3 of them to have an effect on the battle, it was sad
24 Jul 2014, 12:01 PM

Katiusza is E.Z button now, even with one you can squad wipe every inf, with 4 you wipe HQ buildings
24 Jul 2014, 12:02 PM

It was designed this way so when you move your Rifles in a nice juicy cluster of units you get extra "rewards" when under Stuka barrage.

On the serious note I like VonIvan's idea of increasing Katyusha cooldown to match its new performance.

Tbh, its abit the opposite actually. Katyusha template is good for clusters, whereas Stuka has a better effect on a parallel aligned frontline (and, also for retreat wipes, because you can preidct the linear retreat path and time it to hit along it).
24 Jul 2014, 12:02 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Jul 2014, 11:36 AMChegwin

I've used it yesterday to see just had bad it is. First hit 8 kills second 10 kills. When i lost it it had 60 something kills. Such a waste of resources!

Panzerwerfer is all about luck if it actually hits a blob or not, because the rockets are spread out in a huge area and don't have such splash as Katyusha. Sometimes you kill several models, often you kill nearly none, but you basically never get to kill a whole squad with it. Unless you killed a lot of models, you don't even have to retreat after being hit by it.

Katyusha was pretty similar to this before patch, but since the rockets all don't come down at once it was at least possible to kill squads with it if the enemy was not retreating immediately because they will get hit then by the other rockets. So while it was also possible here to be unlucky and not hit much before, in the very least you made sure the enemy has to immediately get out of the area, because he will get hit by the following rockets.

Now after the patch, Katyusha will kill whole squads in the first salve, and if you miraculously survived the first volley and actually have something to retreat, you have to be extremely quick to avoid the second volley, and have to stay out of the area until all four volleys are done.

Surely you can see now the discrepancy in the performance, yes?

And to the people who defend the Katyusha with the Stuka performance: Stuka is not nearly as reliable in killing whole squads as the Katyusha is now. It is very well possible to kill squads if you score a perfect hit and ideally the enemy units keep moving into the creeping barrage so they get hit more than once, yes. But you are far from guaranteed to kill whole squads with it. It actually is not even very good at killing static weapons (which it should be primarily be good against in my opinion, not moving units), because they often are spread out with their models and the rockets only land in a narrow straight line.

And then lastly lets not forget that Stuka has a much larger cooldown, is more expensive and OKW is getting a reduced fuel income, so they need to actually have an advantage for their investment. If you make all other factions units perform as good as OKW units for same fuel investment, then there is no justification anymore for the massively reduced fuel income of OKW.

The balance between Panzerwerfer, Stuka and Katyusha is now a single mess.
24 Jul 2014, 12:03 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Jul 2014, 11:36 AMChegwin

Replay please.
24 Jul 2014, 12:03 PM

100 damage on the rockets would still mean it could oneshot the FlaK HT if all rockets hit, so I fear it really needs to go back to 80.

Why is this a problem? If all rockets are going to hit, the flak HT was placed on the front line and it should be an easy prey for arty. At anything other than point blank range, there is no way a katyasha is going to take out a flakHT in one attack. Just because a building has a cannon on top of it doesn't make it a front line tank.
24 Jul 2014, 12:09 PM

Oh noes a 132 mm rocket hurt my tank. Nerf plz.
24 Jul 2014, 12:10 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Jul 2014, 06:37 AMVonIvan
Imo the best fix to the Katy mess would be giving it as long a cooldown as the Stuka.

Valid point.
24 Jul 2014, 12:14 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Jul 2014, 12:02 PMgokkel

Panzerwerfer is all about luck
Now after the patch, Katyusha will kill whole squads in the first salve

A panzerwerfer Rocket and a Katyusha rocket do exact the same damage and have the same AoE Profile. You really wanna say that PW is luck and Kat sure squad wipe with the 1st salvo?

Get real.

Sure the Kat is overperforming, ... but the PW is better than you are trying to tell us. It's just placed in a shitty tier :P
24 Jul 2014, 12:15 PM

Sadly, you understand shit about factions in this game.

I'm sure if the katyusha/priest weren't pieces of shit and were wiping fusilier/volks blobs all day these forums would be on fire. First in line would be the clown with the SS officer avatar.

LOL, I must be some kind of prophet.
24 Jul 2014, 12:33 PM

I dont even understand why they doubled the damage of it. 80 to 160? seriously? I wouldve increased it to 100.
PAGES (20)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight