Login

russian armor

Bayonets

16 Jul 2014, 21:40 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jul 2014, 07:41 AMVonIvan
Bayonets belong in WW1 or before. WW2 is modern warfare. Case closed.

Dafuq i just read
16 Jul 2014, 22:17 PM

Bugs. Lots of them. Terrible glitchy animations, then a tank shell ruining the animation and everything is dead and bodies are glitching inside each other. Itll look ugly.

Someone didn't play DoW2.

Anyway historically bayonets were rarely used, with most soldiers preferring to hit with the rifle stock instead. Read "On Killing" by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman.
16 Jul 2014, 22:32 PM

Someone didn't play DoW2.

Anyway historically bayonets were rarely used, with most soldiers preferring to hit with the rifle stock instead. Read "On Killing" by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman.
that video alone is enough for me to buy dow2
16 Jul 2014, 22:36 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Jul 2014, 22:32 PMmorten1
that video alone is enough for me to buy dow2

Good luck finding a game. If the game wasn't basically dead after Relic gave up support I might still play it.
16 Jul 2014, 22:52 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jul 2014, 07:41 AMVonIvan
Bayonets belong in WW1 or before. WW2 is modern warfare. Case closed.

Modern armies still use bayonets...
16 Jul 2014, 23:06 PM

Many of the Mosin Nagants had a permanently attached folding bayonet. Having a bayonet equipped has a negative effect on accuracy due to weight distribution.

The Soviets (and the Imperial Russian Army before them) actually zeroed their rifles with bayonets attached - most other armies, including ie. the Wehrmacht or the US Army did'nt. The effect depends on the rifle tho. While mounting a bayonet will not change POI considerably on ie. most 98s, it will have a serious effect on the Garand, sometimes 2-3 MOA or even more.

Grossmann and his findings have become the subject of quite some controversy recently - just as a word of warning.

16 Jul 2014, 23:12 PM

Many of the Mosin Nagants had a permanently attached folding bayonet. Having a bayonet equipped has a negative effect on accuracy due to weight distribution.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up for me. Always thought they just left it on the gun ready to stab the enemy.
17 Jul 2014, 01:07 AM

Even in WW1, bayonet induced casualties were really low to be utterly insignificant. Sharpen spades were preferred if it came to it.

The bayonet is more of a 'morale' symbol (symbol of attack and close combat). It's a decoration, more useful for opening cans.
17 Jul 2014, 01:14 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Jul 2014, 22:36 PMgokkel

Good luck finding a game. If the game wasn't basically dead after Relic gave up support I might still play it.

Retribution Elite Mod is still very active. Even normal Retribution is reasonably active.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/DoW2EliteMod
http://www.dawnofwar.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=957
17 Jul 2014, 01:25 AM

Even in WW1, bayonet induced casualties were really low to be utterly insignificant. Sharpen spades were preferred if it came to it.

The bayonet is more of a 'morale' symbol (symbol of attack and close combat). It's a decoration, more useful for opening cans.
Imagine using Oorah with eight conscripts squads all armed with spades killing the german infantry and throwing molotovs in every house. Seems glorious to me.
17 Jul 2014, 02:08 AM

If we get Brits, they need a bayonet charge ability, they're almost famous for it. They're the only modern army that I know of that still does bayonet charges from time to time..
17 Jul 2014, 02:20 AM

The symbol of the attacking soviet soldier to me in 1944 is the submachinegun, not the rifle. Half to one third of soviet combat troops in their formations were outfitted like this by then.

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Jul 2014, 01:25 AMsteel
Imagine using Oorah with eight conscripts squads all armed with spades killing the german infantry and throwing molotovs in every house. Seems glorious to me.

Yeah, Soviet artists and Russian filmmakers think this way too. :-p

17 Jul 2014, 04:18 AM

The symbol of the attacking soviet soldier to me in 1944 is the submachinegun, not the rifle. Half to one third of soviet combat troops in their formations were outfitted like this by then.

Are those shock troops?;)

And I thought that I was the only one who can imagine charging with spades and throwing molotovs rioters style.
17 Jul 2014, 04:30 AM

I want conscripts with Shovels.... that would be awesome (I play as Ober and OST).
17 Jul 2014, 05:23 AM

Map is too small and compressed, add that to the game and you wil never pull a trigger in this game....
For that to work need bigger maps and change all combat mechanics... imagine you charging the enemy emptying the clips on you and no body dies

idea is great but can´t be done on this game

17 Jul 2014, 05:31 AM

Map is too small and compressed, add that to the game and you wil never pull a trigger in this game....
For that to work need bigger maps and change all combat mechanics... imagine you charging the enemy emptying the clips on you and no body dies

idea is great but can´t be done on this game

True, if they want to add it they must extend the range of fighting or make all weapons more letha. If they add bayonets without changing regular combat then bayonets would become OP and the new meta is core infantry spam.

"Hans, look!"
"Mein Gott, it's the Soviet horde. And they have shovels with them."
"We must regroup! Retreat!"
17 Jul 2014, 05:56 AM

''fritz pull down your weapons, they got no use''

this comunity dont like big changes and relic would never gamble on that.

fuck it... im with you i would like to see it
would be nice have some melee figth.
17 Jul 2014, 07:11 AM

The Bayonet was still a useful tool as sometimes you would find yourself low on ammo and just because the statistics show that a low number of people were killed it does not mean it did not happen (after all most of the kills in CoH2 are due to small arms fire but in WW2 most kills were artillery), one of the more well known Bayonet charges on the Western Front was Purple Heart Lane were the 101st charged down a entrenched Fallschirmjagers (sorry for using wiki, its that it quick to link to):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_Heart_Lane

However should be added to the game? Hell no, unless the game the game is built from the ground up to support it and the the only time when CQC was common up was when units were storming buildings which CoH has never supported. I even remember a quite from relic about why you cant enter building to displace units "We did add such a change as we did not want a situation where the player loses control of his units", which is pretty funny thing to say in CoH...
17 Jul 2014, 07:31 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Jul 2014, 04:18 AMsteel

Are those shock troops?;)

And I thought that I was the only one who can imagine charging with spades and throwing molotovs rioters style.

Don't think so, they lack the distinct SM-41 armour, still might just be they didn't wear it for a photoshoot. Id say just a regular infantry formation of the soviet late war. Could also be more specialized like scouts. (Seriously relic add the Scouts I want Eagles!)

As for the ratio of Sub-machineguns to rifles in the late war, the Soviets equipped troops depending on the situation, in assults and street-fighting entire divisions would be fitted with submachineguns whilst the same division might later opt for rifles when the mission changed.

And as someone already stated, the Sovs ALWAYS equipped their Mosins with bayonets in combat, removing it is just to store the bayonet. Removing the bayonet from a Mosin screws with its aim, it is not ment to be used without one.
This one of the reason some people today find it inaccurate, they get the rifle, go to a range and starts to shoot with it without the bayonet.
17 Jul 2014, 09:01 AM

Bayonets were still in use in WW2, for example in Africa or Stalingrad
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight