Login

russian armor

Bayonets

15 Jul 2014, 07:28 AM

I wonder what happens if Relic adds bayonets to this game? Imagine flanking enemies then bayonet them. What do you think will happen? State your opinions.
15 Jul 2014, 07:30 AM

Bugs. Lots of them. Terrible glitchy animations, then a tank shell ruining the animation and everything is dead and bodies are glitching inside each other. Itll look ugly.
15 Jul 2014, 07:34 AM

Yeah, didn't you think that bayonet programming is easy???
15 Jul 2014, 07:40 AM

Yeah, didn't you think that bayonet programming is easy???
It won't really matter much if they added it so it's up to them whether they add it or not but I was just asking what would it be like with bayonets in the game. Thanks for the reply anyway.
15 Jul 2014, 07:41 AM

Bayonets belong in WW1 or before. WW2 is modern warfare. Case closed.
15 Jul 2014, 07:42 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jul 2014, 07:41 AMVonIvan
From what I read, the soviets didn't have a place to keep their bayonets so they always kept it on their rifles in battle. Shows that the bayonet is still useful in WW2. Heck, even today they still have bayonets.
15 Jul 2014, 08:19 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jul 2014, 07:41 AMVonIvan

It's Company of Heroes. If you want real life, go play Men of War!

Aherm.

Actually you still occasionally hear about bayonets being used in combat in the 21st century. Iraq / Afghanistan and such. There were certainly a few bayonet kills in WWII! It's by no means "common" tactic, but sometimes it's the right tool for the job.

They would probably be extremely, unrealistically effective in Company of Heroes, because most units have a range that is one "screen" or less, which if you measure the scale compared to the units means that almost no fighting takes place at distances greater than maybe 50 meters. Like literally snipers can't shoot farther, and only something like a JagdTIger can go farther. All balistic weapon ranges and LoS are extremely heavily and unrealistically nerfed. This has some interesting side effects, like Flamethrower ranges NOT being nerfed in proportion to gunfire ranges making them ludicrously effective as a standard frontline unit, unlike in real life when they were extremely niche. A knife would probably be unrealistically useful as well for the same reason - it only takes a handful of seconds to close from "maximum range of rifle" to "literally adjacent, knife range".

Give me a 5 man squad with 1.5 armor and instakill knives, it will be super OP :D
15 Jul 2014, 08:40 AM

It's Company of Heroes. If you want real life, go play Men of War!

Aherm.

Actually you still occasionally hear about bayonets being used in combat in the 21st century. Iraq / Afghanistan and such. There were certainly a few bayonet kills in WWII! It's by no means "common" tactic, but sometimes it's the right tool for the job.

They would probably be extremely, unrealistically effective in Company of Heroes, because most units have a range that is one "screen" or less, which if you measure the scale compared to the units means that almost no fighting takes place at distances greater than maybe 50 meters. Like literally snipers can't shoot farther, and only something like a JagdTIger can go farther. All balistic weapon ranges and LoS are extremely heavily and unrealistically nerfed. This has some interesting side effects, like Flamethrower ranges NOT being nerfed in proportion to gunfire ranges making them ludicrously effective as a standard frontline unit, unlike in real life when they were extremely niche. A knife would probably be unrealistically useful as well for the same reason - it only takes a handful of seconds to close from "maximum range of rifle" to "literally adjacent, knife range".

Give me a 5 man squad with 1.5 armor and instakill knives, it will be super OP :D

Shock troops with 1.5 armour with PPSH and knives. Run around Angermuende knifing people. The most op unit of the year.
15 Jul 2014, 08:46 AM

Engagements take place way to close for there to be any melee combat. No one would use SMGs if you could just run up the last few steps and instakill them.
15 Jul 2014, 08:50 AM

Engagements take place way to close for there to be any melee combat. No one would use SMGs if you could just run up the last few steps and instakill them.
Then we would see something new. Cons chasing away an Assault Grenadiers aquad. :lol:
15 Jul 2014, 09:08 AM

Imagine if you could fix bayonets to clear buildings

:droooool:
15 Jul 2014, 09:16 AM

Imagine if you could fix bayonets to clear buildings

:droooool:
Ooorah charging with 4 conscripts squads through machinegun fire losing 6-7 models in the process just to clear a building garrisoned by the MG42. Totally worth it.:o
15 Jul 2014, 09:57 AM

Melee should definitely be a part of this game, as it was in the Close Combat series, I always cringe a little bit seeing two units just standing up firing their rifles point blank into each others faces. Engagement ranges should be extended also to prevent the clusterfuck of late-game. A sprinkle of realism and you've got a great simulation in this engine.
15 Jul 2014, 10:09 AM

Melee should definitely be a part of this game, as it was in the Close Combat series, I always cringe a little bit seeing two units just standing up firing their rifles point blank into each others faces. Engagement ranges should be extended also to prevent the clusterfuck of late-game. A sprinkle of realism and you've got a great simulation in this engine.
Agree. I thought I was the only one who wanted this.
15 Jul 2014, 11:04 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Don´t we have PPSH ?

15 Jul 2014, 11:15 AM

DoW2 is still pretty active if you like melee combat.

That is as close as you can get it with bullets moving into other dimensions after 5 meters for certain weapons.
15 Jul 2014, 11:59 AM

Bayonets where still commonplace, during all of WW2, remember vast mayority of soldiers (especially in the East and in Germany) carried bolt action rifles. And a charge over some 40 meters against guys with boltaction is not as suicidal as it sounds.

If added they don't have to instakill, nothing else does, Im pretty sure fireing a MP40 burst at 10m would instakill most people IRL anyway.
So the bayonet charge could be nothing more than a less-than-short range buff.

It wont happen because that would mess up balance and the core gameplay way to much but Im pretty sure it could be done and it would be pretty sweet. Well "sweet" except for the whole messing up the core gameplay and screwing over infantry balance.

Just saying, if they had done it from the beginning and say scripts had worse accuracy then now but excelled in hand-to-hand combat, I would have been one happy bear now.

It could also have been better then to have "Orrah" come as a Vet thing and increase the recieved accuracy for the cons.

Hell you could probably have made all infantry combat more deadly with it just to ofset the danger of some units engaging in hand to hand.
16 Jul 2014, 19:07 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jul 2014, 11:15 AMKatitof
DoW2 is still pretty active if you like melee combat.

Pretty much sums it up. It makes sense neither game mechanically nor realistically.
16 Jul 2014, 20:50 PM
Patrion 27

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jul 2014, 07:42 AMsteel
From what I read, the soviets didn't have a place to keep their bayonets so they always kept it on their rifles in battle. Shows that the bayonet is still useful in WW2. Heck, even today they still have bayonets.

Many of the Mosin Nagants had a permanently attached folding bayonet. Having a bayonet equipped has a negative effect on accuracy due to weight distribution.

16 Jul 2014, 21:17 PM

I imagine if they were to put CQC into the game, they would give Soviets sharpened spades instead of bayonets, since that seems to the more iconic melee range weapon for them.

I doubt that they will add this in though, it's really a lot of work and would completely throw out EVERYTHING with infantry combat. It would also be difficult to put in, would it be a straight Damage Per Second calculation like Age of Empires, or random chance of a kill? Do you get a bonus for initiating combat, or is close range combat vs some units just suicidal? Would larger squads just WTFPWN smaller squads regardless of cost? Will we see double team attacks where one Conscript holds the arms of a Grenadier and another works the gut with haymakers?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★