Login

russian armor

US troops vs HMG

30 Jun 2014, 11:22 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jun 2014, 10:58 AMCruzz
The only real issue MG42s have against US is that the smokenades are just way too spammable. You don't need to aim them particularly well because they block MG42s from firing in a huge radius around the effect. Suppression rate, pin rate and damage are all good already, its only against sprinting units (hi conscripts) that mg42s have some issues due to gun traverse speed and weird targeting behavior around the edges of the firing cone. USF doesn't have sprinters.

You can't hold off an infantry blob with just an MG42, you need a forward spotter so it starts firing before the riflemen fire back at it (and likely instakill the gunner). But I don't think this is a requirement that needs to go away.

If you read carefuly what I've wrote you will notice that I am talking about MG42 in yellow cover supported by a Gren squad providing line of sight and blob of US Army approaching on the road and taking MG42 and Grens out despite being suppressed. If that's how HMGs should work for you than ok but form is that's not being effective.
30 Jun 2014, 11:36 AM

This MG42/MG34 behaviour problem is getting on my nerves. First, they dont react as fast as other MG's do when enemy approaches, they wait a bit, and then they start shooting(wtf?), by that time, the enemy is so close to the MG, that they can snipe gunner by gunner, until I hit retreat, or they take the MG.

Also whats going on with the mortar retreat? I hit retreat but they stand there shooting THEIR LAST mortar shell, and then, after 3-4s, they retreat (WTF?) By that time, satchel charge has killed all the crew, or grenade, or bla bla. Seriously, fix these crap behaviours, for gods sake.
30 Jun 2014, 11:41 AM

US blob is a SEVERE issue atm. attack move and win. Same as soviets.

Take Obers with Schreck Volks or alot of Panzerfüsiliere, attack move and win.
30 Jun 2014, 14:00 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

Support weapons are a bit too unreliable in general.
Mortars firing another shot whe you tell them to relocate.
MG crews taking their time to position and shoot again.
ATGuns not deploying because one man is behind somewhere.
30 Jun 2014, 14:06 PM

Blobs are funny to deal with.
The inf. support gun and a HMG laugh with the US blobs.
Panzerfus as Sheepeh says are also nice to deal with them.

But if you are going to try to engage the blobs with a few volks squads, yeah that's not ending well.
30 Jun 2014, 15:13 PM

Permanently Banned
Imagine this problem with MG34 + Volks...

Always drunk...
30 Jun 2014, 15:31 PM

I have seen this problem too Oz. Spotting in a team game for my MG42 with a Pio and Two Riflemen still manage to chain kill the gunner. This isnt even really a blob. I find the MG42 a waste in the current meta and instead spam Bunkers to lock down areas. Much more rewarding of you can spare the Muni. Not a thing USF can really do about it either early on.

1v1 isnt so bad its pretty hard for the US to deal with lots of HMGs on maps like Crossing etc. I find the smoke nade wonky but its probably just not knowing how to use it.
30 Jun 2014, 15:39 PM

hmgs are in general too easy to kill from the front even when set up. it's ok if you catch it setting up and you're close, but otherwise, either US blob or some veteran german troops can just slaughter the hmg crew too fast.

Is it possible to give the mg crew additionnal defense from shots coming from inside their cone of fire ? i think it ould solve part of the problem.

But overall i think it's a general problem with killing power being too high for many units, like lmg riflemen and paras, obers and sometimes sturmpios or falls

Also, KT always hitting 57mm atguns and destroying it in 2 hits.
30 Jun 2014, 16:11 PM

So you want 240 req counter 1000+ req + 100+ ammo right?

be serious 1 second please, even if the hmg is the hardcounter, you can't exepect this

in this situation hmg are just here to slow down the blob while your army is back, not a terminator pewpewsquad of death
30 Jun 2014, 16:15 PM

hmgs are in general too easy to kill from the front even when set up. it's ok if you catch it setting up and you're close, but otherwise, either US blob or some veteran german troops can just slaughter the hmg crew too fast.

Is it possible to give the mg crew additionnal defense from shots coming from inside their cone of fire ? i think it ould solve part of the problem.

But overall i think it's a general problem with killing power being too high for many units, like lmg riflemen and paras, obers and sometimes sturmpios or falls

Also, KT always hitting 57mm atguns and destroying it in 2 hits.

It was to funny to see Obers raping my US mg without letting it shoot even once.
30 Jun 2014, 17:31 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jun 2014, 16:11 PMBidet

be serious 1 second please, even if the hmg is the hardcounter, you can't exepect this

in this situation hmg are just here to slow down the blob while your army is back, not a terminator pewpewsquad of death

Actually, that is pretty much what german only players ask for since UBER MG42 was nerfed 11 months ago to actually be countered by 2-3 units.
30 Jun 2014, 17:53 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jun 2014, 16:11 PMBidet

No, I want bad play to be punished. Blobing shouldn't be rewarding in any way. I don't mind 2 sqads taking out HMG due to successful flank but I want a blob going straight on on MG42 position to be punished. No matter how big the blob is.
30 Jun 2014, 17:57 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Combine this with slow remmaning. And here you have your problem.
30 Jun 2014, 18:55 PM

If Relic would just quicken the aim and reaction time, it would alleviate this problem. Even when the mg sees units right a front of them they will take like 3 seconds to shoot. If the gunner dies, the next mg crew will just walk up to the mg, stand for a couple of seconds, then sits down, looks left then right then starts shooting. a looot of stuff to do before shooting. I just wish the mg crew would just walk up and re crew it but they don't.

The mg42 should also do more damage. The Germans would lose an infantry member and get suppressed from the first burst from the maxim or 50 cal (it's more understandable with the 50 cal though )

However, the Soviets would not lose any men and take slight damage from the mg42. One squad can even just crawl up to the mg42 to throw a moltov while taking light casualties.

The German MG42 needs to do more dps in order to punish the enemy for making his stupid mistakes!
30 Jun 2014, 20:34 PM

No, I want bad play to be punished. Blobing shouldn't be rewarding in any way. I don't mind 2 sqads taking out HMG due to successful flank but I want a blob going straight on on MG42 position to be punished. No matter how big the blob is.

no you can't balance the game like this because hmg cost ONLY 240

all i see is a german player, who just want to lock an army with only 240 req. Your 240req hmg is just overwhelmed by a bigger force, thats all, hmg can already counter 2x their price, and i'm ok with it, but don't expect to lock all the map with 240req unit wich require no skill to be used

your hmg is overwhelmed? fall back and bring your force, HMG already slow your enemy advance, and its the goal.
30 Jun 2014, 20:59 PM

Like it or not, no matter how little skill is put into it your opponent is throwing 1000+ manpower and untold munitions at a fight. I don't give a toss how amazingly you micro your one gren squad and your HMG, that is a massive force that needs to be engaged with similar numbers.

Would you feel better if they all came in groups of two five feet apart? Because no amount of micro is going to be worth investing if all you want to do is punch through a relatively weak defense.

You can yell 'omg blob' all you want. You were heavily outnumbered, you lost for that reason alone.

Next time, use your clearly superior micro to hit the blob from two sides, or lure them into MG's in green cover (MG's being plural, not one. Two MG42 in green will blob control any size of blob)

Believe it or not, overwhelming an MG is not actually a 'mistake' that needs punished. It's just a fight. A very simple one called 'I shoot more bullets from all these guys than your MG42 can'
30 Jun 2014, 21:03 PM

I've found an MG42 in good position, supported by a grenadier squad with a LMG42 to be able to hold a decent sized US blob. I like to use the doctrine that have assault grenadiers and the StuG E variation. I blow the blob to pieces with a StuG E behind the machine gunners.
and
30 Jun 2014, 21:09 PM

If I throw a large amount of manpower at a MG and spread out my troops, I rightly should expect to defeat the MG.
30 Jun 2014, 21:21 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jun 2014, 20:34 PMBidet

no you can't balance the game like this because hmg cost ONLY 240

all i see is a german player, who just want to lock an army with only 240 req. Your 240req hmg is just overwhelmed by a bigger force, thats all, hmg can already counter 2x their price, and i'm ok with it, but don't expect to lock all the map with 240req unit wich require no skill to be used

your hmg is overwhelmed? fall back and bring your force, HMG already slow your enemy advance, and its the goal.

Really? huh, weird. All I see a blobber who wants his blob army to overrun everything with no effort or tactics involved!
30 Jun 2014, 21:58 PM

What I'm surprised nobody's complaining about is Riflemen getting smoke. It's the best set-up team counter in the game(When they're outside of buildings - Then it's just a delaying tactic). Smoke 'em, run up, nade 'em and they'll either retreat or when the smoke falls off you just kill them.

Yeah I love this ability. I spam it in engagements to prevent myself form being focus fired (if he has 2-3 squads, shoot smoke in front of two of them while I pick off the third. that sort of shit), to counter long range weapons, to clear buildings etc.

I'd be really sad if it got nerfed though :(
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS