Login

russian armor

Attack Ground HMG's

22 Jun 2014, 01:52 AM

Why doesn't CoH2 have this feature? this way you could suppress an area which you suspect the enemy is or you don't have vision of.
Relic pls.
22 Jun 2014, 01:56 AM
Patrion 27

for the same reason Mg's don't have manual reload and every unit in the game doesn't have hold-fire: _______ (none.)
22 Jun 2014, 01:58 AM

for the same reason Mg's don't have manual reload and every unit in the game doesn't have hold-fire: _______ (none.)

sad face :(
22 Jun 2014, 02:17 AM

im afraid it would make this game too real :P
22 Jun 2014, 02:25 AM

Bah, HMG's need more help other than shooting what it sees and not being able to figure out how to reload with ammo still in the cartridge.
22 Jun 2014, 05:12 AM

And direct fire
22 Jun 2014, 07:44 AM

Actually, the reason is:

Because its small arms direct fire weapon and these target only units.

In simple language:

No BOOM! or no BURN! = no attack ground, simple and consistent.
22 Jun 2014, 08:54 AM

+ There would be no point of using smoke nades.
Attack Ground would be nice feature, but i don't think it's actualy possible to do like 'Katitof' said.
22 Jun 2014, 11:20 AM

Maxims have attack ground, dont they. Maxim spam gets really fun that way..
22 Jun 2014, 11:21 AM

Maxims have attack ground, dont they. Maxim spam gets really fun that way..

And what makes you believe they do?

Maxim is not ballistic weapon.
22 Jun 2014, 11:35 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jun 2014, 11:21 AMKatitof

And what makes you believe they do?

Because i actually play the game.

Edit: nvm, they have attack move. Maxim spam still gets really fun that way.
22 Jun 2014, 12:18 PM
Donator 11

I understand why there is no feature like that for HMG (like Katitif said) but i belive they could do it by creating a seperate class of weapons, for example HMG class rather than put HMGs into small arms (or maybe it would be easier to give them ability like that?). We all know that firing constantly into one sector is what HMGs, especially maxim or vickers, were created for and it's sad that we can't use them that way.

About smoke i would say that it would be enough if HMG couldn't supress what it can't see, but still it would give full damage.
22 Jun 2014, 15:33 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jun 2014, 11:21 AMKatitof

Erm wtf, I think you need to look up what balistic means. Even a stone or spear (thrown) is a balistic. Its about the curved flight it follows, not how it was projected, or how it impacts.
22 Jun 2014, 15:41 PM

As usual this post contains only information I gained. I cannot guarantee they are actually correct, but I am pretty sure.

CoH2 has four attack types.
Explosive
Flame
Ballistic
Small Arms

Small arms are all normal bullets from a Dshk to a pistol. They can only score hits via accuracy. No collision detection.

Flame are all weapons and abilities that deal flame damage and are always hitting.

Explosive are grenades, mortars, heavy artillery, mines, demo charges.

Ballistic are tank guns, assault guns and all such weaponry.

Since attack ground uses scatter values only small arms weapons can't use it.
22 Jun 2014, 15:42 PM

Erm wtf, I think you need to look up what balistic means. Even a stone or spear (thrown) is a balistic. Its about the curved flight it follows, not how it was projected, or how it impacts.

I didn't meant literally, I meant in game.

Its direct fire weapon that can hit its target directly or miss, not doing anything to anything.

Then, there are indirect fire weapon, that target ground, not the unit models.

And then, we have direct fire weapons that that fire at specific models/entities, but missed shot can still cause some harm.

For CoH2, only 2nd and 3rd ones are ballistic, 1st one is just a dice roll.
22 Jun 2014, 17:19 PM

Ah right, fair enough, term just confused me in that context ;)
22 Jun 2014, 19:02 PM
Donator 11

Actually there is a collision detection for small arms in coh2. You can for example destroy a fence that is near your target, or if there are 2 squads in one place you deal damage to both, not only one of them.

The attack ground feature could work just fine if all shots were missed from the beginning (when you use it) and tried to collide with something.

The difference between small arms and ballistic is that small arms have no AoE and 100% accurancy against vehicles.
22 Jun 2014, 20:49 PM

People are close, but they're not entirely right. Here's how it works:

Infantry can not be hit by 'missed' projectiles, projectiles with explosive AOE's will hurt them if they land near, but a shell will phase right through them. Vehicles and Objects can be hit by any projectile, so a 'missed' bullet or tank shell can still hit them. Attack Ground targets basically rolls "misses" for every shot and relies on the scatter, so firing an Attack Ground Machine Gun will deal no damage or suppression to Infantry, but may damage or destroy objects and light vehicles. This is why Tanks firing at Infantry behind objects will almost always strike the object first until it is destroyed.

To make Attack Ground work on a Machine Gun, they'd have to make the class it as "ballistic" and give the bullets an AOE profile and a tight enough spread to consistently land close enough to deal damage and suppression. Sounds possibly to me but I'm not sure if that'd be harder on performance or not, since all current "ballistic" type weapons are one-shot like Tank Guns and AT Rifles, although the Ostwind is slow automatic.
22 Jun 2014, 20:58 PM

It's probably because Relic thinks giving your units control was a bad idea. Giving players better control to these units makes them OP. This is why it took Relic a long time to put holdfire on AT guns even though they could have done this right off the bat.

The more it fucks up and not obey you the more that it seems "balanced".

Yes, the logic is stupid, fuck Relic made so much stupid balance decisions, I wouldn't be surprised if this was their logic.
22 Jun 2014, 21:04 PM

I know at least 1 small arms fire that has collision: HMG42 with incendiary rounds. I know this because I played a guy who parked his halftrack in between one of my squads and his HMG42. His half track got shredded by his own HMG42.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 703

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight