Login

russian armor

IS2

5 Jun 2014, 18:54 PM

I got 2 of them in one game today and I did not feel they were worth their cost. Basically the is2 cost more than 2 t34-76, has less health than their combined health, doesn't kill infantry as fast, and does half their combined damage. The only place it stands out is its armor. That's about it. I think I would go with 2 t34-76 over an is2.
5 Jun 2014, 20:45 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I would say it´s more like
1st IS2 = T3 + 1 T34
2 IS2s = T3 + 3 T34s
5 Jun 2014, 22:40 PM

Glad to see this thread finally took off. A hp buff and a turret speed increase would work wonders I feel. Tiger would maintain is superiority but the IS2 would be better at combating medium tier armor.
5 Jun 2014, 23:11 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Jun 2014, 22:40 PMNapalm
Glad to see this thread finally took off. A hp buff and a turret speed increase would work wonders I feel. Tiger would maintain is superiority but the IS2 would be better at combating medium tier armor.

That or a slight penetration buff that's at least noticeable at times.
6 Jun 2014, 03:15 AM

Increase health to Elefant or Tiger level, decrease rear armour slightly, increase damage to 240 and reload to 8-9. Let it be the breakthrough tank it was designed to be.
6 Jun 2014, 03:17 AM

We would be back with the complaining of the one-shotting.
6 Jun 2014, 04:23 AM

I intended to say not to buff it's AI back, but apparently I forgot that bit. Yeah, don't do that, let it be used against Tanks and Buildings. You can use it for Infantry too, just let the Hull MG pick up the pace between shots (buff it slightly if necessary).

I liked the idea of the IS-2's gun being an Axe among Hatchets. Even though it's not useless, it just feels so underwhelming now.
6 Jun 2014, 06:47 AM

I would say it´s more like
1st IS2 = T3 + 1 T34
2 IS2s = T3 + 3 T34s

Yes there is a teching cost to get the t34 that I did not mention, but often that means getting it as early as cp 6-7, where as the IS2 will only be available at cp 11. That time difference without a tank can be fatal in game for the soviet.

Also, most people who get the IS2 are using the free Shock Frontline Tactics commander and they tend to always build t3 before getting IS2. You can see this playing out in this reply against Stephen:

6 Jun 2014, 12:21 PM

great replay, but shows alot more problems to the game. to be honest, is2 just need a slight buff to its hp and maybe turret speed but thats optional. its currently at a pretty good position in tank vs tank combat.

more importantly, when comparing tigers and is2, its not the performance of these tanks against each other, they both can have a chance of destroying each other.

however, its german superiority its anti tank gun thats blunting the potential of is2. paks have an amazing dps with good penetration values and really puts a stop to is2/ or any other soviet armour rampage with a steady stream of effective fire. not only that, its available every game with the t2 meta for germans.

yet the tiger is still so cost effective despite having somewhat similar stats to the is2 is because of soviet rather crappy AT, more specifically, the ZiS gun. it has a subpar dps and inherent weakness with long reloads, which means a miss or deflected shot gives alot more time for tigers to recover/retreat/charge forward into safety zones. on top of zis being bad, its also not readily available to all soviet strategies because of it is prohibitively expensive to get t1 or t2 without delaying t3/t4.
6 Jun 2014, 12:25 PM

You know when the is2 had 240 damage it could take on a single pak effectively. Now its too risky to do that. And for this map the is2 was not a good choice.
6 Jun 2014, 15:47 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Jun 2014, 12:21 PMwongtp
great replay, but shows alot more problems to the game. to be honest, is2 just need a slight buff to its hp and maybe turret speed but thats optional. its currently at a pretty good position in tank vs tank combat.

more importantly, when comparing tigers and is2, its not the performance of these tanks against each other, they both can have a chance of destroying each other.

however, its german superiority its anti tank gun thats blunting the potential of is2. paks have an amazing dps with good penetration values and really puts a stop to is2/ or any other soviet armour rampage with a steady stream of effective fire. not only that, its available every game with the t2 meta for germans.

yet the tiger is still so cost effective despite having somewhat similar stats to the is2 is because of soviet rather crappy AT, more specifically, the ZiS gun. it has a subpar dps and inherent weakness with long reloads, which means a miss or deflected shot gives alot more time for tigers to recover/retreat/charge forward into safety zones. on top of zis being bad, its also not readily available to all soviet strategies because of it is prohibitively expensive to get t1 or t2 without delaying t3/t4.

This +1000

Good post stole my thunder.
6 Jun 2014, 17:12 PM
Senior Caster Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Jun 2014, 12:21 PMwongtp

Exactly, 100% Not to mention teller mines being far more lethal than Soviet mines, and Germans being able to support with PanzerShreks.
6 Jun 2014, 17:33 PM

I used the IS2 a lot in previous patches (was actually my favourite unit) but I do not like its current iteration.

I liked its uniqueness with its long reload time and high damage and I had no issue with its AT capabilities. Relic however seems to want to make it more of an AT tank which is a shame really, as the only real threat is the Tiger tank (may change with the new armies of course)

I find it has around the same effectiveness in a match up VS a Tiger as before i.e. it will still lose, and it has lost effectiveness in all other roles (not to mention a fuel increase)

Its old AOE should have been nerfed a tad, but that was all that needed doing really. "If it aint broke, don't fix it" it as it were
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 40
Sweden 26
Poland 8
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %