Stalingrad

Do you like this new map?
Option Distribution Votes
45%
55%
Total votes: 65
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
1 Apr 2014, 18:39 PM

Wondering on people's opinion on this map.

I personally don't like it and I don't think urban maps in general work in RTS games...

This one has too much green cover, too many choke-points and too many shot blockers.

Does anyone actually enjoy playing on it?
1 Apr 2014, 18:41 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Waaaaaay too much green cover. Chokes everywhere. No open space at all to micro vehicles. IMO this map should not be in the automatch pool until the cover gets a rework, at minimum.
1 Apr 2014, 18:43 PM

Permanently Banned
choke points? where? it is very good map for flanks, but my problem is you can spam too much wires,tank traps, and especially mines which wins the game for you. S-minefield is the problem in my opinion, because i dont always see the signs because of its ground color.

edit: mortal works well on this map, you must be smart with vehicles, so infatry goes forward then vehicles like in movies(because of faust,at nades), + I wonder what the howitzer,nebel,pak43 could do in this map.
1 Apr 2014, 18:52 PM

it's the best map. Simply is.

Really immersive. I don't care for anything else. Goosebumps everywhere when i see a t-34/76 driving throught a ruined city.

Also,i'd say its balanced.

Alot more balanced than don river was atleast.

Or langres, or kharkov.

Everyone else is just a cry baby, go play starcraft II if you don't like this map.
Also veto if you don't like it. For me it's the best map. Theres actually not that many shotblockers.

It looks like there is alot of shotblockers, there really isint. Also heaps of flanking routes.

1 Apr 2014, 19:04 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Apr 2014, 18:52 PMBurts
it's the best map. Simply is.

Really immersive. I don't care for anything else.

go play starcraft II if you don't like this map.

... Yeah sure. I wouldnt have thought there was such thing as map fanboys...
1 Apr 2014, 19:06 PM

Due to glorious asymmetrical Mortar and Mines(!!!) Gameplay, this map favors soviet IMO.

Also, IF you have to play an Urban map, wouldn't it be much more spectacular to play in a non-destroyed city, where most houses are being destroyed during the CURRENT match? (e.g. vCoH -> SNF -> Semois Church)

Personally I would favor a map in a Angoville/Langres style with a big part being urban. But not the WHOLE map....

inb4 this map will NEVER be in a tournament...
1 Apr 2014, 19:09 PM

I voted no only because it favours a soviet style of play (as it should!) and I struggle as Germans on it.

That said we have crossing in the wood.
1 Apr 2014, 20:47 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Haven´t had the chance to play several times on it to form an opinion.
I like that it´s something "different" at least.
1 Apr 2014, 21:34 PM

I love this map! I love that we finally have a urban map! I hope to see more of them in the future too.
It's so nice that there is a much bigger emphasis on flanking maneuvers, HMG firing lanes, infantry combat, mortars, mines etc.
In real life, it was hard to make good use of armor in a torn-up city, and this map captures that feeling perfectly.
The only downside is the over-use of green cover, and that the cover is a bit confusing at some locations.

I find this easily one of the top maps in the game. I'm really hoping for more urban maps like this.

1 Apr 2014, 21:56 PM
Donator 11

it's good that it exist, shouldn't be in automatch though.
2 Apr 2014, 00:29 AM

It's decent, but not great. Too many narrow alleys and intersections is reminiscent of McGechaen's War, which makes defending with MGs very difficult because of easy wide flanks and shot-blocking walls on those flanking paths. Germans (maybe except this current patch) reply on MGs more than Soviets to lock down territory. The narrow street nature of this map eliminates MG42's wide arc advantage. The need for constant repositioning from switching street to street corner means Maxims have the better advantage in set-up and break-down time.

Second, this map has too much green cover. Every capping point and every 50 feet there's craters or walls or tank traps. This gives larger advantage to conscripts (molotovs), and penals, shocks who are able to close in without getting chewed up too badly. Grens work best behind some cover in open fields, dishing out pain with LMG42.

Third, narrow streets plus craters provide some issues with pathfinding with vehicles. They do have a tendency to toss and turn near a crater. If an AT gun is in the middle of the street and vehicles try to pass, it can take a long time for the vehicle to maneuver properly.
2 Apr 2014, 00:33 AM

I like it for the atmosphere, the atmosphere is amazing.
2 Apr 2014, 00:48 AM

I like it for the scenery it has to offer(though I would like some broken statues, or more detail added in some parts), but overall a very fitting setting for a Stalingrad map. Balance wise it is somewhat Soviet favored(though it's not that difficult imo to win as Germans, just gotta make sure you don't bunch up in one area and cover the flanks(or else the mortars will get to you)). And for those people saying that it's hard to fight with lmg grens on this map because sometimes you're at close distance(hint: GO ASSGRENS OR G43s). That is all.
2 Apr 2014, 00:51 AM

I like the map for variety purpose. Forces people to play radically different than other maps. Close combat and short flanks are more important than long flanks like other maps. I think it highlights the importance of cover and fighting at different ranges in this current patch.

And like others said the atmosphere and visual style of this map is very cool. Only thing I would change is make some areas slightly more recognizable, right now the center of the map is pretty homogeneous, but all around I like it.
2 Apr 2014, 01:20 AM

It's...interesting. But like everyone says too much green cover in very strange locations. Like bunched up around corners of ruined buildings and such. It does seem better for Sovs because the green cover keeps cons from getting shredded as much by LMGs, penals do well here.

I agree S-Mines are an issue because of the color scheme. You can put them on the strat points near the bases and sometimes the signs appear in the building textures.

2 Apr 2014, 05:36 AM

I think (as it was historically) that the Soviet's natural territory is urban warfare.
2 Apr 2014, 06:28 AM

Good looking map, but shit for gameplay.
2 Apr 2014, 06:44 AM

I like this map.
2 Apr 2014, 07:04 AM

too many ruins
2 Apr 2014, 09:00 AM

As long we get new maps, its fine by me!!!
Relic can still tweek them when they get constructive feedback from the community!
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★