Login

russian armor

HOLY POTATOES !!! patch 3/25

PAGES (24)down
26 Mar 2014, 10:25 AM

Why are pios so ridiculously powerful
26 Mar 2014, 10:28 AM

Because while previously they had a pio mp40 that dealt half of the damage of the assgren one, now they have the exact same one as assgrens so they're effectively a 4 man assgren squad.
Neo
26 Mar 2014, 10:30 AM

Why are pios so ridiculously powerful

To compensate for the weakness of German tanks :D
26 Mar 2014, 10:38 AM

Kar.98 k is not a carabine-type rifle! RTF Wiki!

Ugh, I have to step in here this hurting me but both sides are right:

The K of K98 does translate as Carbine as the K98 was much shorter than the Gewehr 98 which was the standard rifle of the Imperial German Army in WW1. Carbines tended to be rifles that were made shorter for use by cavalry or second line forces because it took much much less room to carry.

The term Carbine that Relic uses is the video game definition of the term, Carbine in video games tend to be semi-auto rifles but less damage than the single shot rifles. I believe one of the reasons why carbine is used like this is because pretty much every American made carbine tended to be semi-auto like the Henry Rifle or Spencer repeating rifle from the US Civil War...

Its just like Americans calling a game Football even though the rest of the world does not...
26 Mar 2014, 10:41 AM

Is Piospam a viable strategy now? Didn´t have time to play yet, but that´s the first thing I wanted to do.
26 Mar 2014, 10:50 AM

Pio can't beat cons 1v1 if both are in cover, but 2 Pio... :)

People just need to learn using the damn cover and they will be okay.

^Above

Yeah it is viable, 4 pio to vet 3 222 is very nice.
26 Mar 2014, 10:51 AM

Due to being abroad i cant play for few more days but looks like its better to start off with the germans now. Cant rellly watch streams and reading forums only doesnt paint me 100% positive picture i have had from the notes.
26 Mar 2014, 11:18 AM

honestly, i love the new patch. I actually like the fact that pios are actual combat troops now. It makes for an interesting combination.
Because in reality, pioneers WERE inded combat troops, and they were the ones that usually suffered absolutely huge casaulties.
26 Mar 2014, 11:22 AM

Nice!!!
You have to use now always green cover to fight Pioneers!!
PPSH's are the only good choice now to fight German infantry.

and notice the Sprint of Ass grens is just like the ability from the Sniper. They are running like Usain Bolt and will kill your Cons in GREEN COVER!
26 Mar 2014, 11:26 AM

what i think could work is a 4X ppsh upgrade "assault engineer" upgrade for combat engineers. Increasing their armor very slightly and giving them ppsh'es
26 Mar 2014, 11:27 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Mar 2014, 11:26 AMBurts
what i think could work is a 4X ppsh upgrade "assault engineer" upgrade for combat engineers. Increasing their armor very slightly and giving them ppsh'es

Or they could just fix Pioneers and not make it Company of Builders Units.
26 Mar 2014, 11:34 AM

Just great.

Sold gamepc and gave up the game, now I see this patch is like what COH2 needed.
FUCK
26 Mar 2014, 11:36 AM
Patrion 14

Kreatiir, never to late to come back. ;)
26 Mar 2014, 11:39 AM
Patrion 14

What's the story of Guard's DPs? They've been upped to 100 muni and don't seem to have been given anything in return. My experience previously of them is that they don't hold a candle to the (now cheaper) MG42... are they better or are they the same? (if they are the same then that's one hell of a nerf, the DP weren't worth the 60 munis as it was last patch...

I used them in about 4 games after the patch so far and I don't know if it's because of the overall small arms damage increase or something, they felt and performed better than before in my opinion. before, they couldnt kill a thing even with DP, but now they do decent damage. 100 mu seems too much though...

overall,patch feels good so far but 90% of the games I had after the patch from 2v2 to 4v4 (i played about 10 games)dominant german strat now is to go ass-gren, overwhelm sov at the very beginning which is unpreventable for sov and build bunkers, pgrens to armor. This strat feels a little OP and its pain to counter even if noobs use them.

also, the new fuel changes will only delay armor 2-3 min. I am all for inf-based combat but tanks are still too dominant once they are out...

the new 3v3-4v4 map... why is it so jam-packed? why so many ramps, fences that weapons team cannot vault over and so many high walls, fences that makes the map so maze-like.
26 Mar 2014, 11:55 AM

Ugh, I have to step in here this hurting me but both sides are right:

The K of K98 does translate as Carbine as the K98 was much shorter than the Gewehr 98 which was the standard rifle of the Imperial German Army in WW1. Carbines tended to be rifles that were made shorter for use by cavalry or second line forces because it took much much less room to carry.

The term Carbine that Relic uses is the video game definition of the term, Carbine in video games tend to be semi-auto rifles but less damage than the single shot rifles. I believe one of the reasons why carbine is used like this is because pretty much every American made carbine tended to be semi-auto like the Henry Rifle or Spencer repeating rifle from the US Civil War...

Its just like Americans calling a game Football even though the rest of the world does not...

But we can clearly see that german's rifle has long barrel and so: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karabiner_98k
look under the picture, it says that our subject is a bolt-action rifle despite "K" suffix.
I can say that Tiger is actually translate (or synonym) of animal, but it is a tank too ))

26 Mar 2014, 12:14 PM
26 Mar 2014, 12:21 PM

Isn`t KAR 98 a carabine (Kar being short for karabine) and G43 a bolt action rifle? Not sure about Mosin/SVT, but it seems the weapon profiles may be switched?

Good changes except I don`t see why sov sniper squad needed increase in HP (yeah german sniper got the increase too but lost armor on the other hand). Good thing you can no longer garrison snipers in scout cars.

Oh God, just watch the picture of those weapons and you'll understand which type it is
26 Mar 2014, 12:29 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Mar 2014, 09:06 AMCruzz
Early game unit review post patch (not particularly serious):

Soviets:

Cons: less mobile than ever, damage gets completely neutered every time they try to move an inch thanks to the new completely debilitating movement penalties on bolt-action. You're better off just sitting in buildings or crawling forward with sandbag walls than trying to flank.

Cons(ppsh): Better ppsh damage than ever, because hey, they were underpowered before right? Again a patch that pushes soviets even further into this one niche of ppsh con spam.

Combat engineers: so outclassed by pioneers it ain't even funny. They'd have to go down further to like 130mp before they'd be anywhere near the cost-performance of pios

M3: The most papier mache vehicle coh has ever seen. Forget about fausting this baby, it's a waste of munition, a pioneer squad can take it out from the front.

Penals: the price drop came with a hefty drop in DPS as well, because as we know, penals were op before. Good thing they fixed that, would've hated to have anything that could deal damage for the soviet army.

Sniper: mostly the same as last patch except the aim time makes them feel far clunkier because it can take several seconds before they fire first round. Lost ability to man M3s, but who cares.

Shocks: now lose to such advanced tactics such as : 2xGrens shooting at them from any range (including point blank), 2x pios shooting at them from any range, 1x PG squad running up to them, a single scout car. A shocking waste of MP mostly.

Guards: got their DP damage upped by 33%, got the price of said DP increased by >50%, seem to have lost their super mosins so overall their damage will only be the same as before patch ONLY if you pay 100 munitions. But atleast they've got freaking mininukes in their grenade belt. Oh and seem to also have lost their 1.5 armor so huge mp bleed through them.

Irregulars didn't actually try. I'd actually expect irregulars to be super powerful now, because for 180MP you get an LMG42 or the new super DPs so that's a real bargain and the commander has ppsh. Could actually see regular use from some people now...

Partisans: don't own, probably not changed much unless they got some ninja nerfs on them. SVT version is probably more useless than ever, ppsh version better than ever, and LMG version unchanged.

Maxim: going to get decrewed by a single gren without lmg or pios or assgren or PG squad flanking them. Other than that nothing much has changed.

Germans:

Pios: the new king of the hill of the early game infantry war. These babies slaughter cons one on one while also dealing extremely well with shocks and guards and come with all the utility you've come to know and love. No point in the flamer anymore though.

Grenadiers: Largely obsolete, due to the game now even further penalizing bolt action rifles, M3 armor being such a joke there's no point in fausts, and teching being so slow you're never going to see a T70 or M5 again. Oh and the pios which provide far better cover for MG42s now.

Grens(LMG42): Still an ok weapon. Still has issues with mobility

Grens(G43): These got buffed too, because as we know G43s were underpowered. Lost a bit of long range DPS but gained a huge amount of short range dps as well as not being affected by the haha penalties on bolt rifles. Probably only reason to go grens if you plan on upgrading to these.

Assgrens: like pios except with combat veterancy and combat related abilities. Use them if you don't mind being locked to the commander tree, but remember that pios make extremely good replacements.

PGs: Mostly the same ownage train they've always been, except now facing mostly neutered soviet infantry. Just watch out for multiple ppsh cons, those still hurt. Good thing there's no reason for them to really outnumber you with the 280MP cost.

Osttruppen: Beat cons when they start in cover now. Can fire on the move now, but thanks to the bolt rifle penalties coupled with their innate accuracy they will not hit the broad side of a barn. But for that same 200MP price you could have pios that don't need cover, don't need to worry about moving, can repair, and don't need a specific commander, so why bother?

MG42: somewhat more likely to get sniped by cons on the first volley or in general if the cons are in heavy cover. Apart from that nothing has really changed here.

Sniper: got a large survivability nerf, for some reason. Not worth the risk really.

222: the new flameht. Somewhat less surviveable but a lot more maneuverable and far stabler DPS output at all ranges. Also cheaper. Also good vision, for what that's worth. Only natural enemy is mines really.

251: a scout car without a rotating turret or upgun option. But can reinforce. But you could just build a reinforcement bunker instead and save the precious fuel for more 222s or heavier vehicles so I'm not really sure they're worth building.

Overall balance: ppsh spam or bust for soviets, and even then it's a ridiculously uphill battle. Lots of build variety early game...purely for germans, soviets really have zero choice now.

Great post! I also want to add that after increased scatter for artillery at max range, soviets are even worse than ever.
Time to play Germans if you want to win and enjoy the game.
26 Mar 2014, 12:33 PM

RIP SOVIET.

It was fun to play coh 2.

http://youtu.be/NoBFhdeR9PE?t=52s
26 Mar 2014, 12:36 PM

This is one of the worst "Balance" patches ever.
Soviets Need shock troops to fight against german pioneers and assGrens.

And soviets lack in AT Options even harder then before because of ridiculus soviet building costs.
PAGES (24)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS