Login

russian armor

A flame problem

19 Mar 2014, 17:14 PM

Permanently Banned
KV8 flamer + AT spam + cons spam is a problem in some maps...
19 Mar 2014, 17:24 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Mar 2014, 09:05 AMbuckers
you should've seen it before they nerfed it

+1!!!
19 Mar 2014, 17:27 PM
Donator 11

It was done to me a few times, was totally dominating a game and my opponent spammed AT guns and was still able to get the kv8 out. Oh, the KV8 at its current price is also something that needs to be looked at. But ya Z3r07, its a damn good strat. Hard to beat even with a Wurfer.

p.s can you show me some of those replays? I have a dropbox I share with other players.

http://www.coh2.org/file/4283/kv8replays.zip

Here is a couple, Thought I had more but the older ones was from previous patch :(
19 Mar 2014, 17:33 PM

They just need to decrease the DPS, make it a croc Sherman copy, with KV armor.

The high armor value has already making this unit very useful. Ridiculous DPS is not necessary.
19 Mar 2014, 18:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Mar 2014, 17:33 PMPorygon

The high armor value has already making this unit very useful. Ridiculous DPS is not necessary.

If the KV8 did not have high dps you could easily faust it, then use pgrens at a distance to kill it. That would completely negate the KV8s main purpose as a T1-T2 hard counter.

Moreover, if it's dps was reduced it would be much less useful that the KV2 which has the same armor-hp and costs less and comes at a lower cp. If the KV8 was not the hard counter to infantry I would get a KV2 over it 10 times out of 10.
19 Mar 2014, 18:59 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Mar 2014, 16:59 PMZ3r07

Exactly, KV-8 plus 2 or 3 ZIS and your set.

I'll probably do a thread about it, I have more then 10 replays showing this.

Yep lost to this very cheese. Script Spam to Zis Spam to KV8 to IS2 GG.

I dont think its the KV8 thats the problem but the ability to use this strat without tech. If you tech then the KV8 is prohibitively expensive.

On another note i have taken it out with Sector Artillery and a STUG.....the entire blob not just the KV8
19 Mar 2014, 19:41 PM

Oh how silly of me, of course. The counter to the KV-8 is an emplacement that's only available in 3 commanders!

Also, you didn't say Pak 43, you said AT Gun. Way to be vague on purpose, apparently trying to stir up a misunderstanding.

KV-8 isn't available to every commander either
19 Mar 2014, 20:22 PM

Good Point

Soviet Industry, Shock Rifle Front Line, Anti Infantry tactics.

I count three for the KV8 as well. Please correct me if I am wrong.
19 Mar 2014, 20:25 PM

Good Point

Soviet Industry, Shock Rifle Front Line, Anti Infantry tactics.

I count three for the KV8 as well. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Terror tactics also has it.

On topic; Against the KV-8 + field gun cheese the main objective is to neutralize the field guns. Soviet infantry don't pose a threat to armor and neither do the KV-8s. Since the KV-8s protect the field guns from infantry charges, your best bet it to use some sort of artillery to deal with them. Ideally you want to go for T4, not only is the panzerwerfer great for dealing with field guns, T-4 also provides panthers which are your best bet against KV-8s.

Failing that, picking a commander with the light artillery barrage ability is a good choice. The light artillery barrage is hard to dodge (the gun gets dropped if a carrier dies) and will often completely destroy the gun itself. Mortar halftracks are also pretty good for de-crewing the guns.

Overall I would say that the tactic is annoying but not overpowered. I have played against it several times and I have used it myself a few times. It often works because the German player continues to play standard, but falls apart against competent players who know the weak spot of the build (the field guns).
19 Mar 2014, 20:28 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

It´s not about how many commander have a certain unit/ability, it´s how reliable are those commanders to be use!

As someone has already pointed out, what was the last time you saw any of the Defensive commanders ?
19 Mar 2014, 21:42 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Mar 2014, 11:06 AMKatitof

Since there is a tank destroyer and AT gun that can 2-3 shot each and every armor from huge range, leaving no time to retreat.

and what am I supposed to do when I'm using a doctrine without Ele or 88mm ? It's ging to insta burn my whole army and unless I have a Panther or a lucky teller I'm not going to kill it given that both players have a smiliar army size. (1v1)

Agreed !
19 Mar 2014, 21:58 PM

Yea, just look at how useful the KV1 is with its high armor value. Its a perfect moving speed bump.
20 Mar 2014, 00:13 AM

Just happend a few hours ago:

both sides had nearly equal terretory but i kept his cut of for most of the time in the game. When i saw that he built a M5 (at around the 12 min mark) and my Tier 4 was finished i decided for a Brummbar cause with a at gun and Schrecks i will be fine against any sowjet Tier3 tanks and IS2 would be too expensive at this point of the game. So right when my Brummbar was done his KV 8 rushed in. My panzerschreks did exactly one shot before i retreated them and got anihilated during the retread. The AT gun shot at the KV8 but only to tickle him a little bit before it got roeasted. Well during all this my brummbar was shooting all the time. After he killed 680Mp and 120amo the KV 8 drove away happy and satisfied. Not to mention that my panzergrens droped both shrecks. The Schocksquads found them and killed my brummbar with it. It took exactly 4 shots but they had the time because ofc a brummbär is a wet joke compared to a KV8, IS2, ISU in terms of anti infantry dps. BTW why does the kv8 more dmg then a flamer HT? are there any special plasma flamers in it? I dont understand.
20 Mar 2014, 00:30 AM

Because the FHT does 10 damage per tick and the KV-8 does 27. Even if both Flamers are attacking the same unit, it's still less than the KV-8. The FHT is also a walk-in-the-park to get rid of compared to the KV-8.
20 Mar 2014, 10:24 AM

Because the FHT does 10 damage per tick and the KV-8 does 27. Even if both Flamers are attacking the same unit, it's still less than the KV-8. The FHT is also a walk-in-the-park to get rid of compared to the KV-8.

You're comparing T2 stock unit with late game doctrinal heavy AI tank.

How retarded can that be?

That makes as much sense as comparing T-70 to IS-2.
20 Mar 2014, 10:26 AM

Tombking, Mr. Someguy, you are abso-fuckin'-lutely right.
The problem is that one unit cannot have max health, max speed, max damage. That shouldn't be allowed.
Related to the fact it does so little damage to tanks, this "problem" is nullifyed by its immense armor and health. Furthermore, in middle and end game germans allready have the squad wipe problem coming from IS-2s and 120 mm mortars, why adding this problem too?
Judging objectively, you need good old infantry squads in middle and end-game also, in order to cap and keep the territory balance. "German have superior tanks" dictum will not help them at all in midle and end-game if they lose 70% of their infantry just because some OP weapons. Infantry is the one capping territory, and holding on to it. I mean, as for example, having 2 PANTHERS and no infantry will lose the game against one that has no tanks but has 10 con squads.
20 Mar 2014, 10:55 AM

Tombking, Mr. Someguy, you are abso-fuckin'-lutely right.
The problem is that one unit cannot have max health, max speed, max damage. That shouldn't be allowed.

Must be why its slow, heavy tank with 0 AT.
It gets relatively fast at vet3, but then again, I have never seen vet3 KV-8.
Or vet3 soviet tank above T-70 like... ever.
20 Mar 2014, 11:03 AM

I have the impression that if you go for KV-8 in a normal head to head game you easily get bashed later on by panzers.

Going for a KV-8 means less "normal" armor and in shock doctrine a later IS-2.

If you are able to rush straight into the enemy base with KV-8 and start wiping squads it usually means the other player had kind of "lost" the game already before that.

In 2v2 however KV-8 can be really really strong on some maps with good AT support of your teammate.

I believe the tank is just fine like this.
20 Mar 2014, 11:12 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Mar 2014, 10:24 AMKatitof

You're comparing T2 stock unit with late game doctrinal heavy AI tank.

How retarded can that be?

That makes as much sense as comparing T-70 to IS-2.

Not really, there actually isn't really a comparison that would work like that, nothing in the game functions like a KV-8. If only vehicles kept their high abandon rate from the beta, more Soviet players would see how much of a pain the KV-8 really is. Assuming they fuck up first and the German actually kills one.
20 Mar 2014, 11:27 AM

its fine except that it kills retreating inf to well.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 882
unknown 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment